Sprites INC
Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Printable Version

+- Sprites INC (http://sprites-inc.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Homebrew Games (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Fan Games (/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) (/showthread.php?tid=1507)

Pages: 1 2

Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 09-06-2016 09:09 PM

Since we're talking about the blunders of these titles, I don't think it's fair that we shouldn't be able to discuss the things that have been done right over the past couple of decades. What are some of the BEST Mega Man fan games you've ever played and why? What makes them fun, unique and generally pleasing to the senses? What would you like to see more of in these games?

It's not a pissing contest, folks. This is also constructive criticism. You are free to disagree, but no bashing.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Linzodakatz - 09-06-2016 09:37 PM

Well uhm... there was the cancelled Triple Threat

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 09-06-2016 10:23 PM

Yep. I just made a video of that yesterday. Very interesting game, had so much potential. The multiple paths were a neat idea and giving each character unique abilities was also great. I didn't like the look of the robot master, but the intro stage boss looked right from Capcom.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Thojoewhit - 09-06-2016 10:37 PM

Here are some things that I fell these fangames did right.

MegaMan Unlimited
-Very good sprite work
-Great weapons
-Fun levels (Some parts were BS, but overall I had a fun time)
-Awesome bosses (Minus Wily 1 boss and maybe the "last boss")
-Fantasic music
-Playing as Prototype-Z was extra fun as heck

SuperDanny Powered Up
-Levels were fun (the wily stages can drag on but still...)
-The crossfusion gimmick was awesome
-New levels for older robot masters were neat
-Hidden goodies to find (Some of them are rather hard to get but the others were O.K. challenge-wise)
-Alternate music code was awesome

Megaman's Christmas Carol - Remix
-The bosses were really fun(kinda wish there were levels but whatever)
-The weapons were superb
-The Castle bosses were fun(Minus the cannon bosses)
-The story was funny

That's about it for now

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Linzodakatz - 09-06-2016 10:39 PM

(09-06-2016 10:23 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  Yep. I just made a video of that yesterday. Very interesting game, had so much potential. The multiple paths were a neat idea and giving each character unique abilities was also great. I didn't like the look of the robot master, but the intro stage boss looked right from Capcom.

Ya know,I made a suggesting that we at Sprites Inc could work together to finish the game

I felt a little dumb suggesting it...

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 09-06-2016 10:43 PM

On the contrary. This is as of right now, the only 16-bit style classic Mega Man project to my knowledge. I'd love to see it completed.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Mr. G-Force - 10-06-2016 01:34 AM

Unlimited

Hey look, I like it, ok? The soundtrack is great, boss designs are a great blend of genuine quality and the classic brand of "so silly it actually works", there is a lot of bonus content that has been added since the game's launch. But what impressed me the most is how well MegaPhilX took the criticism. He actually listened to the public and adjusted the game accordingly. That's always a sign of a caring creator.
Now yes, the levels can get obnoxiously long, and the story ending is...yeah. No need to bring that up again. Other than that, I still enjoy this one. Not mention playing the REALLY bad fangames has only made my appreciation for this game increase.

Super Fighting Robot/SFR

The most recent of the games on this list. SFR has a ton of quality to it. Great music, solid level design, really fun bosses, a boatload of options to improve one's experience, an absolutely godly weapon set, bonus abilities for the lulz, and unlockable bonus bosses. The story doesn't take itself seriously whatsoever, and yes, I think that's a good thing. After so many fangames that have "try-hard" plots, I think it's pretty refreshing to have a simple story to follow.

Rock Force

To me, this is it. The absolute best of them. In just a couple updates, this game went from being moderately decent to being my favorite MM fangame. It doesn't have the bonus content of SFR and Unlimited, but it compensates with a wonderful soundtrack, great weapons, a ton of potential stages and bosses to playthrough, and best of all, the ability to play as the Rock Force. The story has even been altered for the better since its initial release. I have some problems with the game, but they are very minor. If you haven't already, give this one a try. I implore it.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Karakato - 10-06-2016 02:52 AM

I'm actually on the same boat for MMU, SFR and Rock Force. But while these three games were very "ambitious" (as far as Mega man fan games go for a lack of a better term), there is one overlooked gem.

Mega Man Wily's Final Attack

It was an earnest attempt that works around the limits it set upon itself where level design takes center stage over graphics, music, etc. Mega man here plays like he did in MM2, meaning no charge or slide. The game isn't much to look at and the tracks are reused remixes of past songs but I'm willing to look past most of those because the levels, boss fights and weapons are pretty impressive. The levels themselves don't feel cheap nor do they feel too long, they are just fun and interesting. Give it a shot if you have the time.

Just to be clear, I didn't make the game nor do I have any involvement, but is was made by one guy, so it's an impressive feat in itself.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 10-06-2016 04:29 AM

Yes and I just found that out last night. I played an earlier version of the game that was "crap" but interesting, kind of. Then I played the newest version...

Wow. You made that. Only thing it needs now is a custom soundtrack. DWFA is definitely getting up there on my list. SFU and Rock Force are also some of my favorites. No one mentions Super Mega Man 3 though, even though it had the mirror gimmick which I've never seen used in any MM title before.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - DoomManFTW - 10-06-2016 11:59 AM

Megaman Unlimited:
-It does a well job at thinking of unique weapons and gimmicks, while also referencing some from the original games
-It is intended as a Megaman game that you can beat buster only without getting hit and no charging (found out the hard way), and even then now it gives you the choice of using the charge shot if you want to
-As brutal as this game may be, you have multiple ways to make your journeys easier, by getting Whirpoolman's weapon which is potentially some robot masters' weakness, or buy beat and spikeguard which you don't see in lots of fan games
-The sprite work is amazing. The only things I don't like is how some cutscenes look, but when it comes to the enemies and/or the tiles I never get tired of seeing how detailed they are

Megaman SFR:
-When it comes to sprite work, the same as in Unlimited is here also. I like how the enemies and tiles look, as well as how for example Leafman's pose is somehow made without looking too awkward
-The difficulty is pretty standard, even without getting all of the over powered upgrades this game gives you. The level design almost always shows you how gimmicks work, even if it is something as logical as the fact that magnets can drag and push you. I consider this game good for casual players
-After you beat the game and get every CD that makes you more powerful in some way, the game counts as if you beat the game legitimate even using these, so if you want to unlock everything although some may require beating Insane mode, you can just use those and it counts the same

Megaman Rock Force (did not include it in the other thread since I find barely anything wrong with it):
-Here, the difficulty is also pretty standard, but it still keeps that feeling of challenge the original games offer without it being too much
-The graphics are pretty nice, I especially like how the cutscenes look since the latest version. Very clear and detailed
-Hard mode has enemies you don't see in the other modes. This really adds to the replay value
-Another thing that helps replay value is the fact that you have so many characters to choose from. Playing each one is a different experience, and they also have weaknesses that are useful against the enemy robot masters
-It is cool that we get a story where Wily is not behind everything, but unlike Megaman Revolution, Wily is not even mentioned here, which I find kind of odd. Protoman is also missing, but I heard the creator might do something with him in the future

I would also comment on the music, but really, they are all awesome.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Smedis2 - 10-06-2016 12:47 PM

This is a bit more of a general opinion, but I've always been a fan of fangames that can be described as "Different, but still undeniably Mega Man". The biggest ones that come to mind are Rock Force and Quint's Revenge, along with some bits from Revolution.

What I mean by this is that, while the base gameplay is pretty much the same, there's a lot of new concepts brought to the table, both gameplay-wise and aesthetically as well. What I love about fangames is the that the author has ability to do whatever they want (even if the end result isn't always spectacular). This has lead to some fairly creative stuff in the past, which I will now elaborate upon.

ROCK FORCE:

- The biggest one (that wasn't implemented until recently, might I add) is the ability to play as RMs from the classic series. The only games I can remember that did this is Powered Up on the PSP and the Day in the Limelight games (where the games were focused around the concept). Sure, there's a few balancing issues here and there *cough*fireman*cough*, but the most part it was handled pretty well.

- Another thing that not many people bring up is that some of the bosses are given a sort of personality to them. One of my favorite parts of the game is Crypt Man's intro sequence. When you enter his room (and if you're low on health), he throws you an M-Tank to make it a fair fight and laughs. It's a small thing, but it manages to add to Crypt Man's character, even if he's just going to get blown up shortly after. The RMs helping you out in the later stages is also a pretty great thing as well. (Not to mention everything about Charade Man).

REVOLUTION:

- While Revo is a bit more vanilla in regards to what it does, it still has some neat bits here and there. One of my favorite things about it is the stage select screen. It's probably the only fangame I know of that actually has a more unique way of handling choosing levels, and it looks pretty cool.

- While the fortress bosses are pretty weird (and kind of clash with the style), I can't deny that they're kind of creative in concept. Sure, Punch Boy doesn't match the artstyle, Gaton Me is just kind of odd, and Reaperbot is really easy, but it's one of the few fangames I know of where you fight a floating eye, a robot Grim Reaper and a giant wall with a face that shoots boxing gloves on it all in a succession. (The crazy surreal tile floor in Remir's fortress gets an extra shoutout XOXOXOXO)

QUINT'S REVENGE:

- While Quint's Revenge is pretty unpolished in many aspects, I can't deny that I enjoyed myself almost all of the way through it (save for the final fortress stage AAAAAAAAAAA). It's certainly the biggest deviation in terms of gameplay. The fact that it was based on II GB was pretty cool, at least in my (stupid and unprofessional) opinion. I liked how all of the stages built off of the original level concepts from 2 and 3 and threw in lots of new ideas. Call me weird, but I really liked the enemy-themed minibosses.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 10-06-2016 07:53 PM

Had no idea they were still updating Rock Force. Tbh, the ability to play as other robot masters was what I was hoping for in the beginning. I also hear that they changed the ending. Definitely not a fan of that.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Thojoewhit - 10-06-2016 08:11 PM

(10-06-2016 07:53 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  Had no idea they were still updating Rock Force. Tbh, the ability to play as other robot masters was what I was hoping for in the beginning. I also hear that they changed the ending. Definitely not a fan of that.

IDK, the new ending fits better with the classic series.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 10-06-2016 08:50 PM

Yeah, but lighthearted happy endings shouldn't be the norm for the medium. I thought about it for a second and liked the fact that this game tried to do something different. Happy endings were never really the norm for the X series, so it was good to see a title going that route.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Linzodakatz - 10-06-2016 09:19 PM

(10-06-2016 08:50 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  Yeah, but lighthearted happy endings shouldn't be the norm for the medium. I thought about it for a second and liked the fact that this game tried to do something different. Happy endings were never really the norm for the X series, so it was good to see a title going that route.

Yeah....same most people didn't agree with the ending

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Thojoewhit - 10-06-2016 10:15 PM

Whatever floats your boat mate. I felt the orignal ending was more fixing with the X series then classic.
But that's just me. Both endings are fine, I just prefer the new one that's all.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - TheFallenAlchemist - 10-06-2016 10:27 PM

Nothing wrong with that. Smile

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - Thojoewhit - 10-06-2016 10:35 PM

(10-06-2016 10:27 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  Nothing wrong with that. Smile

Thanks manMM - Grin

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - EXtremeXPerience - 17-09-2016 01:59 PM

As far as I am concerned, if you are posting a WIP of your game, it MUST be part of your commitment to release it as well. This is not only to MegaMan games, but for all. And, if you will create it, it must also be mixed up with your passion and dedication as well, so that it would not end up in a total mess. MM Revo, MM Unli, MM Rock Force, MM Christmas Carol and MM Super Fighting Robot so far, for me, are still the best fan-based games I ever played and watched, years after my first WIP game is on hiatus(2010). What's the secret? The game content and a few surprises which excites me a lot while watching or playing it, even if I am so bothered with key inputs! XD You'll keep on playing these and wandering on the plot of the story.

RE: Okay, So What Did We Actually Do Right? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games) - barberbarberjoe - 19-09-2016 05:31 PM

Going back to Rock Force, one thing I appreciate is the overall willingness to try and make the less traditional RM designs look more accurate, in certain ways. Besides the portraits being updated, as well as the addition of MM9-styled epilogue appearances, there's even Karakato making official illustrations for them (helped by his art style being faithful to the series).

On a related note, it's nice of GoldWaterDLS to send all the RM profiles to Karakato. Otherwise, you'd never know that the Fusion Masters are actually