Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
It's a shame there was never an official Wily Wars version of Megaman 4-6.

After a while, I started toying with making sprites for this concept. The More I made, the more I wanted this idea to become something substantial, and here I go.

The idea is simple, Megaman 4 through 6 redone in the 16 bit style of the Wily Wars game. To show that I'm not just another 'idea guy' who contributes nothing. I will be doing the sprite-work.

All I need is a programmer because I have the coding skills of a salmon.

STUFF I'VE ALREADY DONE:

Mega man 4 robot masters

Mega man 5 robot masters

Weapon Sprites

Mega man 4 Fortress bosses

[Image: wily_wars_gravity_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8vv92c.png]

[Image: wily_wars_gyro_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8t33gs.png]

[Image: wily_wars_wave_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8raes9.png]

[Image: wily_wars_crystal_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8rd5v1.png]

[Image: wily_wars_chargeman_by_bongwater_bandit-d8sjqht.png]

[Image: wily_wars_mothraya_by_bongwater_bandit-d8yd773.png]

[Image: wily_wars_star_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8r8ohj.png]

[Image: wily_wars_napalm_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8qcbaj.png]

[Image: wily_wars_stone_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8qbjpz.png]

[Image: wily_wars_dive_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8pg8am.png]

[Image: wily_wars_skull_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8p0mrc.png]

[Image: wily_wars_dust_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8ok9mk.png]

[Image: wily_wars_ring_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8nz1mz.png]

[Image: wily_wars_pharaoh_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8nrp35.png]

[Image: wily_wars_bright_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8nid34.png]

[Image: wily_wars_drill_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d8ne2di.png]
01-09-2015 05:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UltraEpicLeader100 Offline
These forums are relevant to my interests!
Registered

RE: Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
Can't wait to see Megaman 7, 8, 9, 10 as well as Megaman & Bass in this art style
MM - Shades
30-09-2015 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TGHoly Offline
Regular
Registered

I like how graphic similar to Genesis version and those sprite is very well made. Smile

[Image: forumbanner2_zpskz7rcgj3.png]
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 05:51 PM by TGHoly.)
30-09-2015 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Norev Durok Offline
Registered

are your sprites from public use like the official ones?.
30-09-2015 10:06 PM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(30-09-2015 05:50 PM)TGHoly Wrote:  I like how graphic similar to Genesis version and those sprite is very well made. Smile

Thank you!!

Here's some mo'

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 06:49 PM by Bonglorio.)
02-10-2015 06:11 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Dude, this is legit spritework! Great job!

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
04-10-2015 04:48 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(04-10-2015 04:48 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  Dude, this is legit spritework! Great job!

Oh my... Blush thank you!
04-10-2015 01:34 PM
Heihachi_73 Offline
Still Here
Registered

Just out of curiosity, would any sprites be usable out of the Game Gear game? That might speed up some of the work, especially for the stage graphics and enemies (of course, the Game Gear version won't be of any use when to comes to Megaman 6). That said, Wily Wars hacks are very few and far between, unless this is going to be a PC remake (e.g. Rockman 7 FC style engine).

I don't know how you'd implement the charged buster on the Mega Drive however, although it can clearly be done since Atomic Fire is in that game already. The main difference between Atomic Fire and the Mega Buster is the fact that Atomic Fire only works when releasing the fire button, even with uncharged shots, whereas the uncharged buster fires immediately upon hitting the button (IIRC the Pharaoh Shot also fires a single uncharged shot before charging, unless you hold the button before Megaman can fire, e.g. while going between fixed areas e.g. boss doors, vertical sections). The other difference is, Atomic Fire only lets you have two shots on screen, not three. Also, Wily Wars has a small amount of dead time between firing shots, meaning you can't rapidly fire any weapon in the entire game (which has no trouble with rapid/turbo fire in MM4/5/6).

One more difference is of course Rush. MM3's controllable Rush Jet vs MM4/5 Rush Jet (a ridable Hard Knuckle by comparison), the Power/Jet adapters in MM6, and Rush Marine's open mouth sprite in MM4 (it was also in the NES version of MM3 but never used - AFAIK the sprite doesn't exist at all in the Wily Wars).
17-10-2015 12:19 PM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(17-10-2015 12:19 PM)Heihachi_73 Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, would any sprites be usable out of the Game Gear game? That might speed up some of the work, especially for the stage graphics and enemies (of course, the Game Gear version won't be of any use when to comes to Megaman 6). That said, Wily Wars hacks are very few and far between, unless this is going to be a PC remake (e.g. Rockman 7 FC style engine).

I don't know how you'd implement the charged buster on the Mega Drive however, although it can clearly be done since Atomic Fire is in that game already. The main difference between Atomic Fire and the Mega Buster is the fact that Atomic Fire only works when releasing the fire button, even with uncharged shots, whereas the uncharged buster fires immediately upon hitting the button (IIRC the Pharaoh Shot also fires a single uncharged shot before charging, unless you hold the button before Megaman can fire, e.g. while going between fixed areas e.g. boss doors, vertical sections). The other difference is, Atomic Fire only lets you have two shots on screen, not three. Also, Wily Wars has a small amount of dead time between firing shots, meaning you can't rapidly fire any weapon in the entire game (which has no trouble with rapid/turbo fire in MM4/5/6).

One more difference is of course Rush. MM3's controllable Rush Jet vs MM4/5 Rush Jet (a ridable Hard Knuckle by comparison), the Power/Jet adapters in MM6, and Rush Marine's open mouth sprite in MM4 (it was also in the NES version of MM3 but never used - AFAIK the sprite doesn't exist at all in the Wily Wars).

Yeah, it's those reasons why I figured a PC fangame, likm 7FC would be more prudent.

And Game gear sprites would definitely help, given some tweaking.
17-10-2015 05:47 PM
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

Rimmer Award
(02-10-2015 06:11 PM)Bonglorio Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 05:50 PM)TGHoly Wrote:  I like how graphic similar to Genesis version and those sprite is very well made. Smile

Thank you!!

Here's some mo'

Why are spriters assuming the ear outlines of the Mettaur daddy are INSIDE of itself? Some of that black area needs to show that the ears need to be separate.
Something like this:
http://n64mario84.deviantart.com/art/Pow...7103&qo=19

I don't know how else the black outline is supposed to go TBH, but it's better than having the ear outline inside of itself. Undecided
25-10-2015 02:17 AM
Blackhook Offline
Gonna get promoted...eventually
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Smash AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE Contributor
[Image: latest?cb=20120813220640]

Seriously, it's not hard to grasp, even the official art shows it.

[Image: d82bcef28Chwb.png]
25-10-2015 12:15 PM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

[Image: wily_wars_4__fortress_bosses_by_bongwate...9i8fmq.png]

[Image: wily_wars_flame_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d9fc0d1.png]

[Image: wily_wars_tomahawk_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d9d9g5c.png]

Here's the new work.
27-11-2015 10:39 PM
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
Wow. I'd love to help in the future. Just have to finish an NES game I'm making music for and learn Python!
These are some kickass sprites. Also, a Mega Man 7-10 kind of deal would be awesome too!
12-12-2015 02:44 AM
Heihachi_73 Offline
Still Here
Registered

I really hope this doesn't end up dead or forgotten like the Master System remake of MM2 (yes, there exists such a beast, albeit in pre-alpha stages with only the title screen, password, character select and 8 stage maps done), as I'm dying to play a decent version of Megaman 5 where regular enemies no longer have invincibility frames (buster shots vs. Power Muscler, sigh). In fact, even a Wily Wars 1 remake would be awesome for that reason alone, as the poor firing rate plus enemy invincibility made it even worse (I have had to hit a Peterchy 5 times to destroy it before, even though it only has 3HP, same goes for the Lightning Lords in Air Man's stage).

If the sound samples/waveforms can be ripped or recorded from the original Wily Wars it should be easy to remake the tunes (I have some experience with MOD trackers, notably FT2, Impulse Tracker and Modplug/OpenMPT, but I can't make music for crap, I'm far better at editing). Going from 3 waveforms on the NES to Mega Drive style will be a big jump however, although most of the time it's just a case of putting in chords using the remaining FM or even the square wave channels. I believe there are a number of MIDI remakes of the Megaman tunes out there too, but I have no idea how faithful they are to the original tunes, or whether they are simply remixes. Likewise, the tunes in the arcade Power Battle/Power Fighters also has remixes (the tunes were also used in the Rockman Complete Works series on PSX, and probably Anniversary Collection as well, but since I can't play that due to being in the PAL region where it wasn't released, I have no idea).

On a side note, I kind of wish someone would go over the original Wily Wars tunes to fix the bad notes (e.g. parts of Bomb Man's theme, the main Megaman 2 title screen tune starting in minor instead of major) and portions that were seemingly played by ear rather than note for note (e.g. Bubble Man's theme, Quick Man's theme, the MM2 "Robot Master selected" tune, and a good number of bass lines being completely wrong). Clearly they put more effort into some songs over others, mostly those from Megaman 3 (although the Wily map theme was cut short and made into a loop, as was the Proto Man ending theme).

Edit: I hope Proto Man can grow a bit taller in this remake. He's still needed in all 3 games. Smile
(This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 07:37 AM by Heihachi_73.)
14-12-2015 07:06 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

More work. The Protoman sheet will be expanded upon.

[Image: wily_wars_proto_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d9dm7jx.png]

[Image: wily_wars_flame_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d9fc0d1.png]

[Image: wily_wars_tomahawk_man_by_bongwater_bandit-d9d9g5c.png]

Also, here is something I need help from you guys with:

I need all the tilesets from Megaman 4-6

This site doesn't have many of the tilesets and my searching on Google has turned up nothing of use.

I would greatly appreciate your help.
15-12-2015 04:11 AM
Cyanosis Offline
Harbringer of Glitches
Registered

You can kind of get them from the Spriter's Resource. Granted, they aren't tile rips but rather entire stage rips. Still it's a better starting place than anything else.
Links to them:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mm4/
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mm5/
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mm6/

Spreading the blue disease...
15-12-2015 05:11 AM
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Rhythm Co-Admin Award
And to save yourself the headache, here is a tool to extract all the unique tiles from an image - http://retrospec.sgn.net/game/tiler

Eventually INC will be getting complete tile sets (no idea when that will be), but for now this is your next best option (and should theoretically yield the same results).
15-12-2015 05:50 AM
Heihachi_73 Offline
Still Here
Registered

Remember that the Game Gear tilesets will have more detail than the NES ones, where applicable (there are only six stages if you don't count Quick Man's, as well as a cut down version of the MM4 intro and the Cossack and Wily map screens, among other uses). Unfortunately the game itself is completely worthless aside from ripping graphics. Smile
16-12-2015 06:37 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(15-12-2015 05:50 AM)DarkSamus993 Wrote:  And to save yourself the headache, here is a tool to extract all the unique tiles from an image - http://retrospec.sgn.net/game/tiler

Eventually INC will be getting complete tile sets (no idea when that will be), but for now this is your next best option (and should theoretically yield the same results).

Thank you very much! This is definitely going to help
21-12-2015 07:03 PM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

OKAY

So the program I was linked was a bust.

It's just not working.

Is there another program that's more user friendly? Because the way that tiler program is set up is borderline-incomprehensible
21-12-2015 11:07 PM