Mega Man Revolution Robot Master Redesigns - Phase 1
Thanatos-Zero Offline
Balmarian Mad Scientist
Registered

Threads: 5
RE: Mega Man Revolution Robot Master Redesigns - Phase 1
There goes Karakato's Blast Woman...
I would have designed for her level a entire new tileset to reflect her being a idol.

Such a shame... The idol, which never came to be.

"That was me as well!"
(Or if you prefer moon speak...)
"SORE MO WATASHI DA!"
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 12:22 PM by Thanatos-Zero.)
08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Find Reply
Blackhook Offline
Gonna get promoted...eventually
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 9
I agree with Neo, considering BlastMan was a fire type Navi.

[Image: d82bcef28Chwb.png]
08-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
Soulephant Offline
He can arrowslide
Registered

Threads: 8
I have to disagree. First of all... The first name that comes up for a sound based RM is Sound Man. There's a ton of 'em. Second, the whole NetNavi comparison falls askew with Magic Man, who was a stage performer with a wizard for a BN counterpart (which might as well have been called WizardMan). Also, do Slash Man and SlashMan.exe even look alike? In any case, Blast Man conveys the forceful, explosive sound thing rather well. If anyone can come up with something that does a better job at that, I'll gladly concede the point. Right now, however, I don't even see anything broke to fix.

[Image: jWFQYSO.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 01:28 PM by Soulephant.)
08-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Website Find Reply
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Threads: 9
You could debate names for years. There's nothing here which even suggests that Revo's Blast Man is a reference to BlastMan.EXE, so what's the issue?

Much ado about nothing.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Threxx1/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Threxx11
08-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Website Find Reply
Cyanosis Offline
Harbringer of Glitches
Registered

Threads: 6
While, yes, WizardMan.EXE would have worked for MagicMan.EXE I think it's a fair reinterpreting of how to express 'magic.'
Looking super similar to their original RM counterpart wasn't strictly the main goal, even if there was a strong drive to pay homage. (Especially if you look at some of the concepts they were kickin' around.)

I personally don't think of sound when I look at Blast, I think of combustion based explosives. This is namely due to the palette being so warm and his name.

A name I'd put out there is Tremor Man, but that has it's own alternate associations.

Spreading the blue disease...
08-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Find Reply
Valo Offline
Nooblet Tour guide
Registered

Threads: 11
@soul. shriekman, boomman, uproarman.

[Image: RF8iZPq.png]
08-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Find Reply
Azure-Mage Offline
Loves the smell of Starbucks in the morning
Registered

Threads: 0
I think I've got an idea. Why not make a poll with ideal names for MMR's Blast Man? Like maybe Decibel Man or Blare Man?
08-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
Jexulus Offline
Still Here
Registered

Since I'm probably the biggest BN6 nut here (I've 100% completed the game on three separate occasions), I feel like I should weigh in. It's a name, and it fits. It doesn't "blaspheme" BlastMan.EXE or anything ridiculous like that. Kind of a pointless argument.
08-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Find Reply
The Walrus Offline
Watch out when it's in heat
Registered

Threads: 13
[Image: Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy.gif]

[Image: HCPYAjr.gif]
08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
Azure-Mage Offline
Loves the smell of Starbucks in the morning
Registered

Anywho, regarding my entry for Blast Woman, her design wasn't exactly as good as the other designs for Blast Man (as well as Karakato's Blast Woman, his entry I like more than my entry, believe it or not), her being a mere headswap of ol' Blasty with a lanky body and all.

Oh, and congrats to Æon. I must say, you've done quite a good job making Blast Man more dynamic when it comes to his posing, rather than his original stiff-looking stance.
08-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Threads: 37
Wow...surprising amount of discussion on Blast's name. I'm not going to say much of anything about it personally, but I will point out that such discussion would be better held during phase 2, as that's when we really start ironing out kinks like that.

Also, in regards to an earlier comment on scoring. While I can understand how small spriting errors may have a bit of a sway, the winners that we have honestly prove that such isn't really the case. There is only one category thus far where the judges as a whole felt other concepts were of at least equal quality to the winner we chose. Otherwise, the ones with the highest concept scores were the ones who won. Including the category I'm about to post.

So anyway, with those things (hopefully) addressed. Onward to the Storm results. I will admit this one was only finalized, like, a few minutes from when I started typing this up.

STORM MAN CATEGORY RESULTS

[spoiler=Azure-Mage's Feedback]
[Image: Pth0OtZ.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 4/10: This is honestly a touch unimpressive. The perspective on his back shoulder seems off, his cloud seems like its too small, and the mirrored arms don't really work, IMO.

Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: I will say that I think you could've done better on the Classic Style (and NES limits, but that seems to be common for Storm designs), otherwise, you have the classic style, and you've got the category rules to some degree.

Concept: 3/10: I am not going to lie, I don't like this concept. He's Cloud Man, he really is, or at least he's a slightly blander version. Regardless, I cannot say I like this, at all. I'm sorry.

Total: 14/30

ACESpark
Quality: 7/10
Limitations: 8/10
Concept: 3/10
Total:18/30
He certainly looks like a classic boss, and limitations were kept pretty good. It's a sprite of decent enough quality, but the concept behind it is fairly boring. The cloud at his "Legs" seems far too small for his body, and his body looks like it's been flipped, which doesn't really do much for me.

corlenbelspar
Quality: 7/10
Limits: 6/10
Concept: 7/10
Total: 20/30
Not the worst but not the best either.

Rhythm
Quality: 7/10: This isn’t too bad, though I think the hat looks a little dopey at best. Only other major issue is the cloud seems small but could easily be fixed in editing.
Adherence to Limitations: 8/10: Colors are used well here, especially in the body. No issues with the shine or linework.
Concept: 7/10: I like this as a standalone. Even though I think the hat is somewhat weird for the lightning rod, the rest is pretty good.
Total: 22/30

Overall Total: 74/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Soulephant's Feedback]
[Image: ao00goq.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 8/10: This is actually fairly good quality. My only real complaints are the right tesla coil looks off to me, and the mouth veil (which we decided not to account for since we had the option) could probably have come across a little better. Probably should have made it bigger, wrap it around the head a little. Though I kind of wonder if it's something that should be animated on the sprite, since I could see it blowing in the wind. Lineart could also be a touch cleaner.

Adherence to Limitations: 9/10: You did a fair job with adhering to the limits we gave you. Classic Style, Color Scheme, Category Rule, they're all there. However, NES limitations are at least tested, which is also a problem with all of these designs, though I think this one might have the least trouble with it.

Concept: 9/10: I really, really, really like this concept. The genie thing works exceptionally well for the robot master who tells exaggerated tales of their greatness oh-so-frequently, and the Tesla Coils for lightning generators work rather nicely here. I honestly have no complaints conceptually, though perhaps a little more could've been done with this.

Total: 26/30

ACESpark
Quality:7/10
Limitations:7/10
Concept: 8/10 without the veil.
My main issue with this one - the veil. It looks too much like a beard, and makes sprite readability very hard. This is the major sticking point, as it doesn't look right on her. Without the veil, the Genie concept still comes across well, and I personally think she needs to not have it. The unfortunate side effect of the veil being grey really.
The sprite is of very good quality, although the cloud doesn't look very cloud-like, I suppose that can be cleaned up in phase 2.
She is a little bit too detailed in spots for 8bit, but that can also be cleared up in phase 2.

corlenbelspar
Quality: 8/10
Limits: 9/10
Concept: 9/10
Total: 26/30
I really like the Genie themed design of this.

Rhythm
Quality: 7/10: I like the aspect of this design. Everything is decent looking here and easily distinguishable. Only thing I can say is without the clouds, the face and body look a little feminine unless that was the point. Which, if it is, gets a little odd with a full cloud beard.
Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: Colors are nice here in their use. Cloud could use some details with the lines and playing with the colors. Probably shouldn’t be a shine on the beard cloud.
Concept: 8/10: I like mixing it up to be genie like. Seems like it can be a good concept with some minor fleshing out of how it works.

Overall Total: 96/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Karakato's Feedback]
[Image: IUcRkZw.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 8/10: Quality wise, this isn't too bad. My biggest issue here is that the body has next to no shading, whereas any white parts of his design definitely have shading. His feet also seem inconsistently shaped between standing and floating.

Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: You did a respectable job here, you have color scheme, classic style, and category rule. This definitely isn't standout, either though.

Concept: 5/10: While creating the cloud body around himself is kind of interesting, I'm not going to lie, this design looks really generic, like, it doesn't feel like it has a lot going for it. It's...kind of boring, really, with or without the cloud cover.

ACESpark
Quality: 9/10
Limitations: 7/10
Concept:8/10
Total: 24/30
I quite like this one, it resembles something Capcom would do. A bit over-shaded for 8bit, but this is a very good quality sprite. He resembles Sheep Man a bit much when he's in cloud form, but I otherwise really like this one.

corlenbelspar
Limits: 7/10
Concept: 8/10
Total: 23/30
Pretty nice design here. I like how he has a fan covered by a cloud.

Rhythm
Quality: 8/10: I like how this all pieces together. How he looks with the cloud is kinda silly but it works for me for some reason. Almost like it’s a more humanoid Sheep (I liked Sheep so that’s a good thing to me)
Adherence to Limitations: 9/10: The clouds look outstanding here. You got a nice mix of necessary details and the classic simplistic design.
Concept: 8/10: Everything looks pretty good here altogether. Only thing about the overall concept I find odd is the giant vent in his chest which is obviously necessary to generate the cloud. It just stands out. Aside from that, really good here.
Total: 25/30

Overall Total: 92/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Lamda's Feedback]
[Image: X2wAN3X.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 6/10: I am not very keen on this from a quality standpoint. He's quite a bit more detailed than he should be, for starters. The lightning bolts on his shoulders have some massive perspective issues. And his chest...once it isn't covered by the clouds it looks twisted, like it's facing more towards the screen while the rest of the body faces more in the direction he's looking.

Adherence to Limitations: 6/10: This is too detailed for the Classic Style, I'm not going to lie. Your lightning generators could also use some work. You've definitely got his color scheme done though, and you followed Classic Style and Category Rule to a fair degree, despite complications.

Concept: 5/10: This is largely in the same boat as Karakato's design, it feels too generic, and honestly rather boring to me. I do give you some props for the interesting body type, but...you know I just don't like it that much, really.

Total: 17/30

ACESpark
Quality:6/10
Concept:[Image: tTc9cKQ.gif]/10 (5/10)
Total: 18/30
Questionable lightning rod placement aside, the lightning bolts on him are neat, but he looks pretty bizarre for a classic boss. He's also really over detailed. I'm not really sure what else I can say other than he looks odd.

corlenbelspar
Quality: 9/10
Limits: 7/10

Rhythm
[Image: MlHm0Zg.gif]
Quality: 6/10: The odd drill-tesla coil thing on his underside rather than his head so that is of major concern. I’m not sure why you gave him what looks like a top hat or ringmaster’s hat. His shoulder bolt is flipflopped on his shoulders, lacking some consistency.
Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: Nitpick but wrong yellow….that’s not an issue since it can simply be recolored. I like how the linework for the clouds give it a much more menacing appearance with the black used throughout.
Concept: 7/10: Overall, I’m not feeling his coil/rod being on his underside rather than the top. The rest of the concept is good.

Overall Total: 79/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Zynk's Feedback]
[Image: zv4Pdfn.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 7/10: The quality here is fairly okay, but the hands just look...odd, and the shoulders can't decide on their perspective. Finally, it doesn't look like his upper body attaches to the cloud very well.

Adherence to Limitations: 5/10: This really, really, really stretches classic style. Like, really badly. You have the general color scheme and the category rule, but this...is only barely in style.

Concept: 3/10: I like the idea behind the whole "Eye of the Storm" thing, and the new Cloud Bully designs are kind of neat. But oh my word this is not a Classic boss. This guy honestly looks like he would belong in more of an X atmosphere, or even a Castlevania atmosphere, considering that very, very realistic giant eye that he has on his chest. This also doesn't seem like it work with the fight itself, owed to the guy's impressive bulk.

Total: 15/30

ACESpark
Concept:3/10
Speaking of odd... I get it, "Eye of the Storm", but it really doesn't work as a Robot Master, at least for the classic series. This thing looks like it belongs in a Castlevania game, which is a major issue for it. Sprite quality is decent, if over-detailed.
One thing I do like is the redesigned Cloud Bullies... I might very well use those anyway with your permission.

corlenbelspar
Quality: 6/10
Limits: 3/10
This is way too big to be an NES sprite.

Rhythm
Quality: 7/10: That’s one big ass eye. Not really sure about the minions. The sprite does look good though, but doesn’t have that Classic feel, if that makes sense.
Adherence to Limitations: 8/10: The colors and linework used here looks really good. Able to get some great details with how you put this together.
Concept: 6/10: While I like the sprite overall, for repurposing Storm, it feels a bit overkill. The giant eye thing really distracts from what’s going on here. Almost fits into CV again, or even Zelda where the giant random eye as the weakness is a staple of the series.
Total: 21/30

Overall Total: 70/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=MidniteW's Feedback]
[Image: 7tUskKI.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 7/10: This is also a fairly high quality sprite. My main issues here are that I'm not sure what's up with the proportions of her torso and legs, and her arms...I...honestly can't make much sense of them. Her boots also seem rather flat, and the shading on the sprite seems inconsistent, partially because of said boots.

Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: I like what you've got going here. You have the style, the general color scheme, and the category rules down pat. I do think you could've made the cloud a darker color though, and I think she might have some difficulty with limits due to her detail.

Concept: 8/10: The concept here is...fairly neat. I like the Lightning Blade thing, I could see that being useful in her fight, and the cloud collar is still cool. At the same time though...I cannot make sense of those arms, I'm sorry.

ACESpark
Concept:9/10
Total: 23/30
I love the concept behind this - she looks like a very classy Robot Master, and is clearly female. Sprite quality is pretty good, although her legs look a little funky. The detailing is just right. A few too many layers for a NES sprite, but works alongside the Mega Man 9/10 cast.

corlenbelspar
Limits: 9/10
Concept: 7/10
It's pretty good although with the changes made, especially the legs I feel it's a huge departure from the original.

Rhythm
Quality: 7/10: Her arms seem really tiny for her body. And I’m not really sure what the thing coming out her left/our right side is. Is it a blade? Is it her lightning rod? I’m very confused as to what that is. Her boots come off as very flat due to the shading (and mirrored)
Adherence to Limitations: 7/10: The addition of Red really stands out here. Not necessarily a bad addition considering her mouth, but it really stands out here. Especially against the pale yellow base color. Cloud-boa looks pretty good here.
Concept: 8/10: I like the cloud-boa concept here. It actually works for me. Even the squiggle helmet stands out as unique to me. Definitely some fine tuning could work with this concept.

Overall Total: 91/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=NDraxian0's Feedback]
[Image: 0UMprkz.png]
Blackmore Darkwing
Quality: 3/10: Oh my word that lineart is so messy! It's almost impressive how messy it is in spots, I'm sorry. Otherwise, the shading is very inconsistent, it can't decide overall how much shading it has. And it seems to be a bit too big.

Adherence to Limitations: 5/10: NES Limits are not gonna work here, they just...aren't. He also has a slightly tricky time with Classic style. You definitely got the color scheme, though at the same time I don't think he could summon Cloud Bullies from those clouds very easily.

Concept: 4/10: I'm not very keen on this concept. For one, he's so freaking big! That size doesn't really work for the average Robot Master, and would be problematic considering his current fight, where you have to jump over him. And while the idea behind the clouds on his body is kind of neat, from a functional perspective it doesn't really work, IMO. The lightning eyebrows are a neat touch though, I like those, and the propeller feet are also a neat touch.

Total: 12/30

ACESpark
Quality:4/10
Limitations: 6/10
Concept: 9/10
Total:19/30
I love the concept behind this guy - the whole "lightning god" look is a very cool idea. Unfortunately and rather bizarrely for Drax, the quality of this is severely lacking. The lineart and shading is messy, and the whole thing would take a fair amount of work to look good. It's a shame really, as I really like the concept behind the guy, and he suggests an entirely new attack pattern for Storm Man, something I'm not against.

corlenbelspar
Quality: 6/10
Limits: 3/10
Concept: 6/10
Total: 15/30
I feel like I don't have my glasses on when I look at this due to the lines. Also like Zynk's the sprite is way too big.

Rhythm
Quality: 7/10: Well that’s certainly a lightning titan if I’ve ever seen one. He has the makings of a fortress boss at this size rather than a Robot Master. I do like the Lightning eyebrows. The feet are a major distraction to me.
Adherence to Limitations: 5/10: Colors are used well here. The more use of the darker grey gives a nice intimidating factor to his cloud-vest. The lines for his feet and hands are both defining and blobbed together at the same time. One can make out the features, but there are some slapdash pieces throughout.
Concept: 6/10: As I said, this feels more like a complicated fortress boss rather than a Robot Master. As simple as that. Way too much going on with regards to size and design.
Total: 18/30

Overall Total: 64/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Final Scores]
NDraxian0: 64/120
Zynk: 70/120
Azure-Mage: 74/120
Lamda: 79/120
MidniteW: 91/120
Karakato: 92/120
Soulephant: 96/120[/spoiler]

[spoiler=WINNER] [Image: gQ2DmY6.png] Soulephant[/spoiler]

And that's that for Storm. Really sorry about the later posting here, this one took a little longer for us to score. Congratulations to all of our entrants, and congratulations to our winner! It was actually very interesting to see how this one unfolded, honestly. Anyway, we have no idea when we will have Saw Man done, but we will do our best to get his category done in a timely manner.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015, 10:30 PM by Mick Galbani.)
08-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Well, this has been a long time coming, I do apologize for the wait, but this took a little bit for us to figure out.

So, I am going to frank with all of you, regarding Saw Man, most of the designs were considered to be not quite the quality we wanted them to be, which I admit that might've been because we had guidelines that were more restrictive than necessary. To add to this, most of the designs had very similar scores, and the judges were not really a unified front on who we thought should win at all.

In light of this, we have made the decision to REOPEN Saw Man's category to allow for folks to revamp and resumbit their entries. I'm currently in the midst of making a new topic for this, with new, less restrictive guidelines for the designs, as well as the feedback that all of the designs received from the judges.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2015, 07:03 PM by Mick Galbani.)
09-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Find Reply
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Threads: 3
Congrats to everyone who got their designs picked!

I'm glad that my Sand Man design (aka Sheriff Man lol) got through! Just a synopsis for the design, I just associated the desert and cowboys for him. The original design doesn't make much sense because he looks Arabic for a Robot Master living in Australia. And I researched and there are somewhat a version of cowboys down-under, so I did that. If the next step is retuning the design, I'm up for that.

I'm fine with the judges' decision even if all of my designs didn't get in. My bets were Haste, Sand, Ghost, Storm, in that order.

If I have the time, I could draw the winning entries in regular size. Not promising tho. Cool

@ACE: Please do use my Cloud Bullies! I was hoping there would be enemy redesigns, the original cloud bullies look messy. Just saying, it would be weird for Storm Woman conceiving furry eyeballs! lols Big Grin
10-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Find Reply
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

(If anyone's wondering what happened to an earlier post, it was deleted with permission from the poster)

So! First of all, if you haven't read the Saw results yet, here's a quick link to those results, so go read them.

Have you read them yet? Maybe? I'll take a maybe for an answer.

So anyway, with those results, we have all eight of our winners. Notably, we managed to have (more or less) a different winner in every single category. An interesting result, IMO, and kind of neat.

So, to remind folks of our winners and their scores (Spoilered because long):
[Image: Xr9ulVq.png] Karakato's Ghost Man: 112/120

[Image: xPmSuBh.png] Zynk's Sand Man: 106/120

[Image: QeUXD4h.png] DamonaSchnider's Pyre Woman: 106/120

[Image: XkLfv6g.png] Blackhook's Cryo Man: 105/120

[Image: WxpyfHn.png] Lamda's Haste Man: 107/120

[Image: BgN1l4Z.png] Æon's Blast Man: 105/120

[Image: SzbClmL.png] Soulephant's Storm Woman (Most recent version I have, with some edits courtesy of Valo and Soulephant): 96/120

[Image: loVikIm.png] OMGWTFLOTSOFNAMESLOL's Saw Man (Soulephant, Thanatos-Zero, and Ndraxian0): 112/120

And finally, a comparison between the old FIN series and the new FIN series, arranged in the number order proper (Spoilered because big images):
Old: [Image: 5BRShxh.png]

Vs.

New: [Image: 4n7i43c.png]

And that's that. Personally I think they're all improvements over the original design. With this, phase 1 has ended, and Phase 2 will formally begin once we iron out everything we're going to do with that. Hopefully that won't take too long.
17-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Find Reply
sonny Offline
Regular
Registered

the cloud of StormWoman is some sort of SKULL?
17-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Threads: 3
(17-05-2015, 10:29 PM)sonny Wrote: the cloud of StormWoman is some sort of SKULL?
Can't. Unsee. MM - Ill

But I like their redesign. I hope they animate her cloud legs. And colour her mouth red.
18-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Find Reply
MegaRed225 Offline
*Insert something here, idk..*
Registered

Threads: 1
Sad  RE: Mega Man Revolution Robot Master Redesigns - Phase 1
I wish I could of posted mine, I guess I'm too late MM - Frown

Even though the competition is over, I think everyone did well and good luck to those whose entry is accepted.
(This post was last modified: 30-06-2015, 02:24 PM by MegaRed225.)
29-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Website Find Reply
InfinitiZero Offline
JKN-Infiniti
Registered

Threads: 4
(15-04-2015, 12:44 PM)Karakato Wrote: [Image: T4MCkLs.png]
Ghost Man

I wanted to give him a more spectre look so I added in a ragged cloak to partially conceal his exposed wire and his acid buster (and maybe use it to "disappear/reappear). I also added more "battle damage" to his arm and right eye and tried to change his head to look less Skull Man-like.

[Image: WTeb0if.png]
Blast Woman

Yeah, decided to 63 Blast. I thought of making her more musically inclined ala idol, hence the audio cables hanging down her head and how she's wearing head phones (also, the slight Deadmau5 semblance on her head). I was thinking, rather then slamming the fists together, Blast would attach her head cables together.

[Image: storm_man_by_karakatodzo-d8q5rsa.png]
Storm Man

His torso generates clouds and somehow engulfs his torso to make him levitate. I'm thinking his weakness could negate his cloud and force him to do an alt attack... maybe not.

[Image: rJrgP2s.png]
Saw Man

Nothing too fancy with this one aside from making his shoulder produce more saw blades. Tried to make make his saw launcher similar to that of a power saw and gave him a battle scar.

Ya know, I wish your Blast was chosen. She's so cute!!!!! XD
17-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Find Reply