Quint's Revenge - First Public Release
MarcDWyz Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 1
RE: Quint's Revenge - First Public Release
That was an awesome stream. Thanks everyone for showing up. The recording can be found here (for a limited time): http://www.twitch.tv/marcdwyz/b/666620210
07-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 3
I did something productive today.

[Image: 1jlZgPh.png]
I improved the G-Blocky (Metalman mini-boss) sprites. If ACE wants them, I mean.
He's already using a variant on my portrait-sized Light Labs logo, so what's one or two more sprites? ;3

The ones on the left are directly based on their small-fry sprites.
The ones on the right are based more on the official artwork (so they're thinner and have different coloration).
I also would have made their tops and bottoms silver, but that would've looked ugly given the 3-color limitations per-8x8 sprite block.

[spoiler=Technical Details for Nerds Like Me]
On real hardware, the graphics would be broken down into layered components, like so:
[Image: wUoLQDK.png]

Doing this reduces the amount of tiles needed to make it function. In essence, v1 would only need about 23 tiles in the graphic data and v2 would need 16. In-game, it would display 4 repeated tiles per-cylinder (or 7, in the case of v1's head) and 4-6 more for the eyes at any given time. Like so:
[Image: LIgBKX1.png]
(The grey sections represent tiles that would be repeated from the tile set.)

Now I will note, I have no idea if this boss would be possible on NES or Game Boy hardware even under these circumstances... but when compared to the likes of the Kabatoncue or Whopper frim Mega Man 4, I don't see why not.[/spoiler]

I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
... but you'd be a fool to think me here.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015, 04:40 AM by Joseph Collins.)
07-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

Just another small bug,and after the small dog miniboss in woodman stage if you dash on the ground to the next screen you clip up to the platform and I think one time it ended up the same way but I got hit aswell,maybe by the met somehow
08-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

Oh,and just found something about crashman's fight(or clashman,whatever),if you stay all the way to the left wall he walks in such way that he hurts you but if you stay to the wall all the way on the right he does not touch you and he never shoots unless you shoot,also is it intentional that the crash bomb itself does not hurt you but only its explosion?At least I know that did not happen in the original game,but at the same time I noticed that both here and in MM2 for gameboy,metalman's treadmills do not change their directions unlike the nes game

EDIT:it is almost 12 AM,I am on the phone now and I have to sleep so just use the links that I provided the other times,go to my channel and you should see the bugs with the info in the description,I am sorry if I talk a lot Tongue

Suddenly more stuff,one thing,in the part where there are blue bombs in crashman's stage and you have to climb,if you go all the way up the ladder to the second blue sniper joe and drop from the ladder,you can hit the bombs and not get hurt while falling,and another thing which I CANNOT RECREATE:Lets be specific,I had 3 lives,I lost one the way I did but the second one was by me standing on the left and getting hit just by the explosion of the crash bombs that I talked about,and after dying I like put the game on the bar down(don't know how to say it)did something else and when coming back,I was unable to shoot,and when I went to the gate,it did not close after entering the boss room,and crashman was missing,another time when trying to recreate this,instead of this result,everything was fine except that the sprite for getting hit was missing,like the white sprites,and same with the explosion sprites when I died,and when I respawned after that,everything was normal,sorry if you cannot find this glitch in order to fix it...I'll try a little more.Also I just got it to work again and recorded,and forgot to say,the countbombs do not hurt if you go into them,and I got the music turned off when the fight glitch happened,and if you turn the music off but sound effects on,reseting makes the sound effects go aswell

EDIT 2:I do not know how I placed the text like that...
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015, 08:55 PM by DoomManFTW.)
08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

Found even more,but not much,it happened to me after passing the sakugarne section in metalman's stage where you are supposed to fall down,one of the tackle fires scrolled onto the next screen along with me,and if you use the metal catcher on a power up and as soon as you catch it you pause and change the weapon,the power up stops in the air
10-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Find Reply
The Stove Guy Offline
ambulatory cooking device
Registered

Threads: 0
I wanted to do something useful. So I enhanced the quality of the stage select screen.

11-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Find Reply
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Threads: 9
(11-06-2015, 06:11 PM)The Stove Guy Wrote: I wanted to do something useful. So I enhanced the quality of the stage select screen.

I hardly see the purpose of organizing the stage select by color.

Scratch that, apparently the original is actually like that. Odd.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Threxx1/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Threxx11
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM by Threxx.)
11-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Website Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

So... I dunno if this is anything anyone would be interested in, but ah... I maaay have released the Quint's Revenge Complete Soundtrack on my Bandcamp page, recently. Like, right this second, in fact.

(And also all three Christmas Carol soundtracks are there, too, since the original thread vanished.)

12-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

Found something else in Metalman's stage,but WARNING:I did not find this myself,you can see this at2:46 in part 7 of X-potion games' playthrough of this,credit goes to him,AND yes,this is a thing in version 29
13-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

A link would be handy for that... A time-specific link, even better.

13-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

Sorry,my parents do not let me on the computer until I am done with exams,now I am using my phone,but you know,you can search and find it easily,if it is still not enough,I am just gonna say the exact problem:In the second section with the insta death gear right before the boss door,if you dash torwards the first wall thing that has a met on it,the gear jumps over you and you survive.
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2015, 08:50 PM by DoomManFTW.)
13-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 5
Here is the link for the video DoomManFTW is talking about.
14-06-2015, 03:08 AM
Website Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Ya know... it dawns on me that I am, in fact, an Alpha Tester*. So the other day, I figured maybe I should do my title of "Alpha Tester" justice and, ya know... test alpha. Or beta, in this case.

And so I did. And as usual, I went a tad bit over-the-top with things. 'cause das how I roll~
#SorryNotSorry

* = Well, it specifically says SIBRE Alpha Tester, but still, I am listed in the credits as music remixer and alpha tester!

----------

[spoiler=General/Global]
Bugs
  • This might just be on my end (since my laptop monitor has a resolution of 1366 x 768), but it seems like the game doesn't run at true 16:15-ratio unless you play on x3 zoom or Fullscreen.
  • Pressing Reset while music is playing will keep that music playing until either the flashback scene starts, or the Main Menu is called via Start button -- whichever comes first.
    Note: This only seems to apply to hitting reset on menus, not during actual gameplay.
Complaints
  • This is a pretty common "fan game foible", but I wish you could use the Fire button as an "Accept/Confirm" button as easily as you can use the Jump button to Cancel.
  • There seem to be a lot of places in various stages where a platform/piece of terrain is either positioned 8 pixels out of place compared to other terrain. In the NES games, terrain usually had a maximum of 16-pixel gaps, due to the tile-based level generation.
  • Why why why why why are there no Appearing Blocks in this entire game??
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Game Engine]
Bugs
  • Tapping left or right twice on the Stage Select screen makes the cursor jump three positions.
    Note: This only seems to happen when using Joystick controls.
    • Tying in to the Double-Tap Dash function, taking damage while holding Forward causes Quint to dash as soon as he's back under your control.
      Note: This also only seems to happen when using Joystick controls.
  • On free-scrolling vertical sections, dying returns the camera's Y-axis to the highest possible Y coordinate on that screen.
  • *Intentional?* Quint jumps a bit higher than Megaman ever did.
  • If Double-Tap Dash or Down+Jump Dash are enabled, Quint refuses to stop dashing if you're holding either of those buttons. (For example, if you hit Forward twice then hold Down, Quint keeps dashing.)
  • *Intentional?* Quint's hitbox is absurdly tiny when he's crouching. This leads to some fairly strange behavior under certain circumstances.
  • *Intentional?* Walking/rubbing against spike traps from the side (or bottom, in some cases) doesn't have any effect whatsoever.
    • The sole exception (from what I've seen) being the spike traps in Metalman's stage. Those kill you from any angle no matter which way they're pointed.
  • The Y coordinate for vertical screen scrolls is set too high up.
    (You have to climb well off-screen to go up or barely touch the next screen down to go down.)
  • Enemies which shoot at (or fly to) a player's current position will aim at 0° if the player object isn't found (such as when the player dies).
    • However, some enemies instead aim for the top-left corner of the screen in such cases.
  • Dash-jumping through a screen transition causes Quint to briefly stand in mid-air on the other side, as well as playing his "landing" sound. This is especially noticeable when jumping through boss shutters.
  • If you die underwater, the game plays the splash animation (and sound) at the water's surface (at your previous X position).
  • *?????* If you die at the same time a Wily Stage boss does, the game plays the "Stage Clear" jingle, but soft-locks for about a minute as it tries to figure out what to do. It does eventually send you to the Save screen, however.
Complaints
  • No menu chirp noise when you enter the menu?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Weapons and Items]
Bugs
  • You can still fire your current weapon while summoning Sakugarne.
  • Sakugarne's Weapon Energy continues to drain while you're in the Weapons Menu.
  • Sakugarne doesn't let you bounce off enemy's heads, but rather it pierces and goes through them.
Complaints
  • Why can't Quint use Sakugarne to drill rocks out of the ground?
  • Dashing after firing Needle Crusher looks incredibly silly.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Enemies]
Bugs
  • Enemies (and obstables) that fade out while exploding can still be shot.
    (This is a common oversight with Sprites INC 's Mega Man engine and completely harmless.)
  • Some enemies seem overly-sensitive to the edge of the screen while others don't seem sensitive enough. This is especially the case when it comes to vertical screen transitions. (1)
  • The Hari Harry (porcupine) attack behavior is considerably different than their NES/Game Boy counterparts:
    They shoot only one spread of needles at a time instead of two on the first go, they roll around for considerably longer, and they seem to gently float when free-falling off something.
  • Neo Mets sometimes don't fire of two are on the same screen and try firing at the same time.
    • Neo Mets also run quite a distance compared to their NES and especially Game Boy counterparts.
  • Wanaan (bear trap) units have a very strange hitbox and timing compared to their NES and Game Boy counterparts.
  • The Returning Monking units are supposed to re-attach themselves to the ceiling after a few jumps, as in Mega Man 3/Mega Man II , then hop back down. They never do so here.
  • *Intentional...?* The movement scripting for Telly (canister with eyes, Clashman stage) units is very odd... (2)
    I'm withdrawing this one because, quite honestly, the movement scripts for the NES, Mega Drive, and Game Boy versions can be just as weird. Especially the NES version...
  • Why do Pipis (birds with eggs) only generate five Copipis? Is that a case of staying true to the Game Boy game?
  • Peterchy (one-eyed flip-flopping walkers, Magnetman stage) seem to use the same floaty falling physics as Harry Haris when they should fall as quickly as dropped items.
  • *Intentional?* Bomber Pepes' eggs don't explode when shot nor to they make any noise when they explode on their own.
    Disregard. I was completely wrong about this; though they do make a "boom" sound in Mega Man 3 Improvement, they will never violently explode when shot.
  • Mechakkeros (Topman stage) hop a little strangely and they don't open their eyes for long enough before hopping.
  • *Intentional?* Komasaburo (Top Fiend) units fire their tops in spurts rather than shooting one and taking a break.
  • *Intentional?* New Upndowns react... very strangely... when there's more than one on-screen at a time. (3)
  • *Probably intentional* If you get close enough to Sniper Joes, you can shoot through their shields with the Buster (or any other non-piercing weapons), due to the fact their shields are a seperate sprite.
Complaints
  • Why aren't the Garyoby (buzz saw) units from the intro stage utilized more?
  • The Orbinaut enemies (Needleman stage) are oddly coded in that they kind of keep going until they bump into a wall... Nothing huge, I suppose.
Notes
  1. For example, Batons can follow you down/up screens in Woodman's stage and Robbits will keep throwing carrots (that will never reach you).
  2. In the original games, Tellys are supposed to switch directions from "X toward player" to "Y toward player" every half-second or so that they aren't on the same X or Y coordinate. Here, however, they stay on the "Y toward player" movement until directly aligned with the player, at which point, they switch to "X toward player".
    But it gets even weirder, as when they get within a block's range of the player, they float diagonally upward just high enough to where the player can duck under them.
  3. It seems like New Upndowns get confused if you backtrack and try to trigger one you've already passed by. You can sometimes destroy one and it won't respawn until you trigger another one, as well. I can't really explain it better than that.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Intro Stage]
Bugs
  • With Sakugarne's help, it's possible to bounce up to the screen with the ladders and get stuck up there. You can even climb the ladders and die to the spike traps!
  • If you take damage from the Fire Beam trap at the very end of its path, it refuses to chase you if you trigger it again.
  • *Intentional?* You can shoot at the Intro Stage boss' hands before it appears and the shots bounce right off.
Complaints
  • No complaints here.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Needleman Stage]
Bugs
  • Any large items dropped by the Hammer Joe at the respawn point will drop through the floor.
  • You can duck under the platform that the moving platform scoots under in the Cannon area of the stage.
  • *Intentional?* The electric spike deathtraps stop moving if they get caught in the edge of the screen.
    (For example, in the spine room at the end of that section.)
  • Needleman will stop moving if he faces left at the left side of the screen. (1)
Complaints
  • No Needle Presses, New Mets, or Yambows? How come?
Notes
  1. Of course, you have to be at the far left side, with him standing on top of you, so there's no benefit to doing this...
    A similar event happens with Scrooge in Mega Man Christmas Carol 2 .
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Metalman Stage]
Bugs
  • *Intentional?* It's actually possible to get behind the G-Blocky (mini-boss) and hang out back there while it's in its collapsed form. But Quint will get hit as soon as it starts moving as a tower again, so...
Complaints
  • *Intentional?* If you walk back to the left after a Giant Gear goes flying, it will actually completely miss you and you can casually walk behind it.
  • No Moles or Pierobots? Why not?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Hardman Stage]
Bugs
  • No bugs to report.
Complaints
  • Those minecart enemies sure are annoying!
  • Hardman seems to move a lot slower than he does in either of the games he was in prior. His attack pattern works against him fairly badly due to this.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Clashman Stage]
Bugs
  • *Intentional?* Clash Blaster Bombs only hurt the player if an explosion touches them. The weaponized version the player gets is a "hit everything everywhere all at once" weapon, however.
  • In the locked rooms, the locks disappear in a puff only after the shutters open completely.
  • After the second lock, a shutter open/close noise is played, but there is no shutter in the next room.
  • *Intentional?* In the vertical room where the checkpoint is, the bomb conveyor that turns 90° moves much slower going to the right than it does going up, despite being animated at the same speed.
  • *Intentional?* Clash Bombs don't hurt you directly (but the explosions do).
  • *Intentional?* You can just kind of hang out at the right side of the room and Clashman can never bump into you. It's not terribly useful since he fires his Clash Bombs directly at your position though when you shoot, though.
Complaints
  • No Flyboys or Blockys or Pipis? I miss the incredibly slow-spawning Flyboys so...
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Airman Stage]
Bugs
  • *Intentional?* The Goblins ("Air Tikkis") only seem to generate Petit Goblins when you're standing directly on top of them and does so much slower than in the official games.
  • The Petit Goblins seem to move too quickly when spawning and animate twice as fast as they should in comparison to the original games.
  • *Probably intentional* The disappearing cloud platforms under the Large Life Energy Capsule don't respawn when they disappear.
    • *Probably not intentional* The Large Life Energy Capsule on the disappearing cloud platforms doesn't fall when the platforms disappear.
  • *Intentional?* You can actually stay on the middle platform during the last cloud platform area before the boss door. Just duck down and you'll completely avoid the spikes, due to Quint's incredibly tiny hit box when ducking.
  • Airman leaps a bit too far when jumping across the arena. This causes the Pipis to smash their eggs against the walls instead of dropping them at Airman's feet.
Complaints
  • No Scworm units? Aww...
  • Airman attacks pretty slowly in this game... but then, he did in Mega Man II as well.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Magnetman Stage]
Bugs
  • The Power Magnets are a little glitchy at times, but it's nothing game-breaking.
  • Whenever Magnetman drops his Magnetic Pull, an enemy puff explosion displays.
Complaints
  • No New Shotman or G-Springers?
  • No Appearing Blocks?!
  • Magnetman's attack pattern is really boring... It's just a slight variation to his official game attack pattern. Maybe you could think of something to add to that, like sticking to the ceiling or something?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Woodman Stage]
Bugs
  • While dashing into the first Friender ("Hot Dog") mini-boss room, I ended up clipping through the ground and took damage from the Met Barrier.
  • In the first Friender room, you can duck to the right of the Met Barrier and shoot the Friender without taking damage.
  • *Intentional?* Ducking will immediately cancel any and all horizontal movement in the ice section.
  • *Intentional?* Woodman's Leaf Shield is a bit more compact than it should be... though it does move faster than usual.
  • *Intentional?* Woodman's Leaf Shower doesn't flutter back and forth, just coming straight down instead.
  • *Intentional?* Woodman's Leaf Ball has a very strange and floaty "seeker" mechanism to it before it explodes... (1)
Complaints
  • *Intentional?* Those M-445 (jellyfish) units in the sunken section of Woodman's stage aren't much of a threat... You can just casually stroll by them.
  • No Needle Presses, Monkings, Cannons, or Neo Mets?
Notes
  1. Rather than the weird seeker movement engine for the Leaf Balls, a straight-up "go to current player's X/Y at Z (depending on distance) speed" coding might work better.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Topman Stage]
Bugs
  • The first and fourth Neo Mets over the bed of thorns tend to face the wrong direction due to enemy spawning issues. (1)
  • The repeating Rainbow Force Beams (after the checkpoint) continue to fire when you go to the Weapons Screen.
  • If you die after the checkpoint, the Twin Tomas (cat mini-bosses) respawn, causing an irritating "chirp" (firing) noise to play throughout the rest of the level unless you turn around and destroy the one that was guarding the pathway.
  • *Intentional?* You can actually hide behind Topman on either side of the room and he won't be able to hurt you. (2).
Complaints
  • The placement of the blocks in the Twin Tomas mini-boss is kind of annoying, in my opinion... Kinda looks ugly, too.
  • What is the point of the Mechakkero on top of the repeating Rainbow Force Beam section?
  • No New Shotman enemies?
  • No full-sized Tamas?
  • Still no Appearing Blocks?!
Notes
  1. Basically, when you walk toward the fourth Met, the first Met spawns behind you (off-screen). The game tells the first met to "face the player", but this also causes the fourth Met to turn away from the player, resulting in that one shooting, then running off into the spikes and dying.
  2. He can still hurt you if on the right side of the room if you take a (pixel) step to the left. He'll "elbow" you after he fires his tops.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dr. Wily Stage 1]
Bugs
  • If you pause while the Blue Devil (level boss) is spawning, he'll continue his animation and reveal his eye early.
  • The Blue Devil sometimes plays the shot explosion or shooting noises before actually shooting.
  • *Intentional?* The Blue Devil's gel balls seem to explode multiple times as they disappear.
Complaints
  • What's the point of that giant rise at the beginning of the stage? The one behind you that you can't climb?
  • Those exploding robots in the underwater section of the stage sure are annoying!
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dr. Wily Stage 2]
Bugs
  • The Hari Harry can roll into the spikes and get stuck, due to being invulnerable in its ball form (?).
  • The spikes at the end of the first section can kill you if you walk close to them from the right.
  • You can still take impact damage from Frosty the Walrus after defeating it.
Complaints
  • No complaints here.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dr. Wily Stage 3]
Bugs
  • Sometimes, Jamacy (ladder bug) enemies refuse to spawn if you scroll the screens too much.
  • Dashing and jumping into the screen directly following the electro-spike walls will cause Quint to go flying out-of-bounds and on top of the stage. He can fall down from that brick platform, though.
    • Of course, if the player insists on continuing forward (by hopping over the hole in the ceiling), the camera won't follow them and continuing right will eventually cause them to fall into a pit.
    • Continuing forward just enough to open the boss door shutters leads to an interesting occurance of the doors not shutting behind the player, if they backtrack and follow the proper path, too.
  • *Intentional?* The player can literally stand on top of the Friender mini-boss and shoot at its tail to kill it.
    • Or alternately, just jump over it and on to the next mini-boss.
Complaints
  • *Intentional?* The ladders in the long, electro-spike wall section (before the screen transition) aren't necessary, as the player can just dash-jump over the gap.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dr. Wily Stage 4]
Bugs
  • No bugs to report.
Complaints
  • No complaints here.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dr. Wily Stage 5]
Bugs
  • No bugs to report.
Complaints
  • *Missed opportunity* You should've enabled using Clash Blaster on the Wily Capsule (a'la Rain Flush in Mega Man 4 ) just for laughs. Maybe as an Easter Egg of some kind, even!
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Stage 1]
(aka Dr. Wily Stage 6-1 (the space station))
Bugs
  • If you move forward a little in the Cook section, then backtrack toward the Bomb Cannon/Frost Hammer Joe section, one of the Bomb Cannons respawns, making its "chirp" shooting noise now and again.
  • Rocket Mets' rockets can sometimes chase you across screen transitions.
  • *Intentional...?* If you defeat the Wily Machine W2's final form, but die and continue from that point, the game sends you to the next (sub-)stage. It does not send you ahead if you simply die, though.
Complaints
  • Unless you know to hold left at the second screen transition (before the New Upndown Kai section), that first New Upndown Kai is probably going to nail you.
  • What sets the Mechakkero, Cook, and Returning Monking enemies in this stage apart from their normal counterparts?
  • No Appearing Blocks or underwater section?!
  • I'm a little surprised there aren't more traps before the boss shutter. Just a lone Frost Hammer Joe...
  • No Sakugarne for the Wily Machine W2?
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Stage 2]
(aka Dr. Wily Stage 6-2 (the final boss))
Bugs
  • No bugs to report.
Complaints
  • No complaints here.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Cutscenes]
Bugs
  • No bugs to report.
Complaints
  • No complaints here.
[/spoiler]

(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015, 11:05 PM by Joseph Collins.)
15-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

"Well excuse me for being retarded"-extra stage 1 and 2?Are they in progress or have I missed something?
15-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Sometimes a spoiler really is a spoiler...

In any case, now noted and explained in the Spoilers.

Edit/Bump: So... a new bug was discovered by fellow fangame maker Jordan Delp. Apparently... everything that's supposed to be Megaman's shades of blue...
[Image: evPfBZD.png]
... is grey to him.

This also happens, inexplicibly, in the Sprites INC builds of
[Image: 2WvQLrX.png]
Mega Man Revolution.

It's almost like the game palettes are reverting to some weird, undocumented setting... or maybe not reading something from somewhere. But why (and how) would this be happening in not one, but both of the current Sprites INC WiP games, for the exact same colors in the exact same manner?

(This post was last modified: 18-06-2015, 08:38 AM by Joseph Collins.)
18-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Find Reply
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Threads: 37
That glitch is something that has plagued Mega Man Revolution, in particular, for a very long time, from what I understand. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but it seems to depend on your computer specs, on my home computer, the game's colors will work just fine. Start it up on my laptop and suddenly grey everywhere. I wouldn't be able to tell you how to fix it though.
18-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Find Reply
DoomManFTW Offline
Still Here
Registered

One of my friends had this problem with Quint's Revenge,though I did not say anything cause he told me he was gonna point that out himself...
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2015, 06:38 PM by DoomManFTW.)
18-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

So... he (and other people) are going to have to just live with it, I take it? It seems strange that only those two colors (I guess?) would be affected... especially since they're Megaman's default blues. Something has to be doing it, but replicating the bug seems to be really hit-or-miss, considering no one has reported it in this thread until now. Very strange...

19-06-2015, 12:03 AM
Find Reply
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Threads: 37
Taking a glance at the stage select screenshot you showed. It seems to be more than just the blues, I see a few of the more red-like colors have gone grey as well.

Considering that it has been a constant issue with Mega Man Revolution, then if MMR and QR share the same system for their color schemes, that might be part of the problem. Originally, MMR was built to use two different color types, 256 color mode or Direct 3d 9 mode. One of them lacked this problem, but could cause other problems in MMR (such as the final boss running away). Unfortunately it's been long enough that I don't remember which is which, and until Ace takes a look at this, I'm not sure what to do.

Do any of the other Sprites INC games cause this, namely CC2 and CCR? If not, then they might use a different color set-up.
19-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Threads: 195
I suspect the issue may be either no direct x 9 installed, or it may have installed incorrectly on their systems, as the game uses direct x 9 to display a pixel shader.

I may have a fix for the grey colours bug, but it does mean abandoning the pixel shader used to give the game its NES fidelity.

This is what I mean.

I can add an option to the game whether to display it or not, so systems capable of using the shader can keep the NES style fadeouts.

(This post was last modified: 19-06-2015, 02:47 PM by ACESpark.)
19-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Website Find Reply