Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
Gaia Online
Offical Sprites INC Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Reggae AwardDeadchat AwardSIBRE Contributor
RE: Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
Mind if I throw you a bone, here?

[Image: hYEdI4n.png]

Gonna address the elephant in the room and say that a good chunk of Wily Wars was rebuilt from the ground-up to accomidate the sega genesis' hardware.

...With the exception of protoman, for some reason (which is sprites are basically reshaded, instead of properly updated like quickman up there). If you want some help, feel free to ask, I'm willing to help if I got time.

[Image: 345y4jt.jpg]

Quote:(20:08:09) Gaia: jace hey jace
(20:08:16) Gaia: children's card games is on
(20:09:27) Jace: ...
(20:09:35) Jace: How the HELL did you know I put that on my TV
(01:30:24) Rhythm_BCA: be yourself and don't pretend to be what you think they think you should be
28-09-2016 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(28-09-2016 01:52 PM)Gaia Wrote:  Mind if I throw you a bone, here?

[Image: hYEdI4n.png]

Gonna address the elephant in the room and say that a good chunk of Wily Wars was rebuilt from the ground-up to accomidate the sega genesis' hardware.

...With the exception of protoman, for some reason (which is sprites are basically reshaded, instead of properly updated like quickman up there). If you want some help, feel free to ask, I'm willing to help if I got time.

I'd love that! Thank you!
30-09-2016 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heihachi_73 Offline
Regular
Registered

Just have to ask, should the Robot Masters be slightly larger than their NES counterparts? It was my initial fear of Centaur Man on the previous page, trying to jump over that with the lead weight that is Megaman. Just comparing Wood Man and Hard Man sizes (comparing what sizes? Hahahahahahaha!!!!) between the NES and Wily Wars sprites, there is definitely a good height difference. Even the Bunby Heli is larger on the Wily Wars, as even the regular enemies have mostly been resized. Oddly, Doc Robot wasn't.

The above example of Quick Man shows the difference between his size in the Wily Wars, but Plant Man's sprite seems to be almost identical in height to the NES version.
02-10-2016 03:44 PM
Scorpio Offline
Still Here
Registered

Maybe you could be able to slide underneath him, like you could in Power Fighters. That is, if Bonglorio would be willing to make such a change. Even then, I wonder if the Genesis would hypothetically have the capacity for that sort of change.
02-10-2016 11:27 PM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

I was definitely thinking of making some gameplay changes along those lines. Either make Mega Man jump a bit higher or something else.

I was also considering tweaking the weapons to make some of them better than the originals, the vision is to make an overall enhanced experience of 4-6
03-10-2016 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heihachi_73 Offline
Regular
Registered

I think he does jump a bit higher on Wily Wars, as I can clear some mistimed disappearing block puzzles without having to wait for them to start over e.g. Ice Man. The shots are also higher to match his sprite, as they go right over the Met's helmets in Guts Man's boss hallway without hitting them, and you can also defeat the third Friender buster-only this way without having to jump in and out of the two-block gap (if you don't want to get up close and personal with a giant blue fire-breathing dog). Speaking of Mets, the ones on Crash Man's stage will hit you with their shots if you don't jump, on the NES, their shots will go right over your head. They also have a larger attack radius (e.g. attacking you on the ladder in MM2 Wily 4) and walk a bit further (e.g. the one on Top Man's stage near the spikes lands on the platform above you rather than on the ground next to it).

Another thing to note is, while walls are 'hard' on the NES (the hitbox of the walls are exactly the size as them), you can clip into them slightly on the Wily Wars, which makes jumping out of tight areas much easier (e.g. Heat Man's block-above-block traps), but Megaman's hitbox is also a bit narrower, as he can't seem to stay on the edge of an Item-1 like he can on the NES, making that part of Wily 1 quite annoying (that and his additional height mixed with the Item-1s rising a bit faster) - maybe that's why he clips into walls (it doesn't explain why he can get stuck near the Crash Bomb walls on Heat Man's stage though, just by holding right while jumping).
04-10-2016 12:23 AM
Kallisto Offline
Postman
Registered

If you had thought of it already..since this is going to be a Wily Wars game, I think this is a good chance for you to introduce three new RMs exclusively for this game set in the Wily stages if you're willing to go that far.

Since Inafune used Journey to the West type RMs..carrying on the tradition you could include three other ones from the same story, here are some suggestions -

Princess Iron Fan - Iron Fan P. (Princess)
Red Boy - Fiery Red B. (Blaze)
Bull Demon King - Raging Bull D. (Demon)

There is plenty of other characters to choose from the story, this is just a few examples.

There is also plenty of monsters in the story that could be turned into Giant Machines for each wily stage as well.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 09:17 AM by Kallisto.)
04-12-2016 09:13 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(04-12-2016 09:13 AM)Kallisto Wrote:  If you had thought of it already..since this is going to be a Wily Wars game, I think this is a good chance for you to introduce three new RMs exclusively for this game set in the Wily stages if you're willing to go that far.

Since Inafune used Journey to the West type RMs..carrying on the tradition you could include three other ones from the same story, here are some suggestions -

Princess Iron Fan - Iron Fan P. (Princess)
Red Boy - Fiery Red B. (Blaze)
Bull Demon King - Raging Bull D. (Demon)

There is plenty of other characters to choose from the story, this is just a few examples.

There is also plenty of monsters in the story that could be turned into Giant Machines for each wily stage as well.

I like those ideas~

I was definitely thinking of seeing if another spriter was interested in this project, I love having a second person to work with, bounce ideas off of.
06-12-2016 08:29 AM
maskedbyte Offline
Regular
Registered

Programmer still needed? If so, when would they start?
And what language/engine would you want this made in or does it not matter?

[Image: SgZehRu.png]
(This post was last modified: 30-12-2016 05:50 PM by maskedbyte.)
30-12-2016 03:18 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(30-12-2016 03:18 AM)omega Wrote:  Programmer still needed? If so, when would they start?
And what language/engine would you want this made in or does it not matter?

I was thinking Game Maker would be a good choice for the project.
31-12-2016 08:16 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

Do you plan on working on the engine from the ground up?
31-12-2016 08:33 AM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Oh wow, these Robot Master Sprites are pretty useful..!!
I may very well just use them if you're okay with that. I mean, eventually I'd go over them and further upgrade any of the images if needed to further refine them (some of them look a little NES like just recolored), but it would be a nice base set to get something in the game sooner.

I'm working on making a feature rich Game Editor for Wily Wars (more than just a Level Editor), and as well an Expansion + Upgrade hack of Wily Wars to include all games from 1 - 10, plus MM&B, instead of just 1 - 3.
The Editor is in early stages (it will load the level data and display it, but that's all so far), and I'm redoing the Core of it currently, as I've learned a ton more about Programming with great systematic design.

Hopefully I won't run out of data and have to split the game into two parts, as the Genesis allows for a Game to be up to 4MB, but there is 4MB reserved for the Sega CD, and another 4MB reserved for the 32X as well, and it might be possible to use them with just the Genesis by itself; I need to research this more.
I also eventually plan to make a 32X port of it.
As well I will make multiple characters playable, such as Protoman (so far I have reserved a Byte in RAM for a Character ID and when set to 0x01 it loads his Gfx and Palette instead of Megaman's), Bass, and also Roll playable (and maybe for laughs + fun X and Zero and a few other characters as bonus unlockables).
I've also very much upgraded Megaman's Gfx (I still have some Frames to implement for him, but mostly all there, and others to refine the body of though), and Protoman's (I didn't use the shitty recolored NES version that's in Wily Wars, I actually made my own).

I haven't had much time to spend on this project in a long while, so it's taking me a considerable amount of time to get much done (lots of RL stuff to do, and very much on-going), but it will be done someday~ I will never cancel it.
So far I've decided to call the game 'Megaman the Wily Wars - Mega Edition'.

------
I have a Facebook page where you can actually download what I've done on the Game so far (no games after MM3 added yet), and with a Game Genie code you can play as Protoman (graphical swap at the moment, no shield yet), plus the Game Editor (Mega Robot Laboratory).
I've made many little game mechanic tweaks, and some graphical changes as well (not all totally finished).

I won't put the link here because I just have the full ROM there on the page (although you have to look down the page a little, it doesn't totally jump out at you) instead of a Patch (I find patches annoying to deal with after a while lol).
But it's just called Megaman the Wily Wars Hacking, so you can go Google search it if you want.

If even mentioning my page for the obvious reason isn't allowed here, someone please let me know and I'll remove that part of my comment.

--
I'll post a few screenshots soon...
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 09:35 PM by Nazeji.)
08-01-2017 08:51 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

I wanted to make them easy to see, but if any images are too large please let me know.

- Protoman's 1up Helmet needs a little refining still, but good enough for now.
- The Boss Door is only sized for MM5 at the moment. All animations are created (and in my Wily Wars hack), I just got lazy and showed the first one.
[Image: WilyWarsCharacters.png][Image: BossDoor.png][Image: Original_WilyWars_Megaman.png]

- Protoman's Cape needs to be created still for when he's on ladders, as you can see. I'll later animate it when he's sliding too. I think I'll also have his visor shine occasionally (Megaman blinks). I have not done his Shield yet either.
Note: The top right most Megaman has a slightly alternate shine on his Helmet.... (not sure yet if I should use that one...)
[Image: MegamanTiles00.bmp] . [Image: ProtomanTiles00.bmp]

- In the enhancement of Wily Tower's Weapon Menu, I slapped in Fire's Icon for Plasma temporarily, since it would be similar enough looking and Plasma normally doesn't have its own. I also haven't modified the Text yet. I think I want to make the border that's around Plasma as the Energy Bar Border for what power is currently selected.
[Image: WeaponMenuIdea.png]

- I made a mock-up "in game" example of Wind Man's Level, but it's not totally finished. Also in this image, the Health and Weapon Energy revivers feel slightly large to me, so I'll probably shrink them down a little at some point.
The Clouds are a work in progress (for now I just recolored the ones from the NES game).
[Image: WindManStage_ScreenExample.png]

- The Palette in the Wind Man and Grenade Man 'Block Set' images (mainly Grenade Man's) need reducing some, but not in any way that'll harm them. These Block Sets are incomplete currently.
[Image: WindManStage_BlockSet.png] . [Image: GrenadeManStage_BlockSet.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 05:51 AM by Nazeji.)
09-01-2017 01:08 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(09-01-2017 01:08 AM)Nazeji Wrote:  I wanted to make them easy to see, but if any images are too large please let me know.

- Protoman's 1up Helmet needs a little refining still, but good enough for now.
- The Boss Door is only sized for MM5 at the moment. All animations are created (and in my Wily Wars hack), I just got lazy and showed the first one.
[Image: WilyWarsCharacters.png][Image: BossDoor.png][Image: Original_WilyWars_Megaman.png]

- Protoman's Cape needs to be created still for when he's on ladders, as you can see. I'll later animate it when he's sliding too. I think I'll also have his visor shine occasionally (Megaman blinks). I have not done his Shield yet either.
Note: The top right most Megaman has a slightly alternate shine on his Helmet.... (not sure yet if I should use that one...)
[Image: MegamanTiles00.bmp] . [Image: ProtomanTiles00.bmp]

- In the enhancement of Wily Tower's Weapon Menu, I slapped in Fire's Icon for Plasma temporarily, since it would be similar enough looking and Plasma normally doesn't have its own. I also haven't modified the Text yet. I think I want to make the border that's around Plasma as the Energy Bar Border for what power is currently selected.
[Image: WeaponMenuIdea.png]

- I made a mock-up "in game" example of Wind Man's Level, but it's not totally finished. Also in this image, the Health and Weapon Energy revivers feel slightly large to me, so I'll probably shrink them down a little at some point.
The Clouds are a work in progress (for now I just recolored the ones from the NES game).
[Image: WindManStage_ScreenExample.png]

- The Palette in the Wind Man and Grenade Man 'Block Set' images (mainly Grenade Man's) need reducing some, but not in any way that'll harm them. These Block Sets are incomplete currently.
[Image: WindManStage_BlockSet.png] . [Image: GrenadeManStage_BlockSet.png]

Holy CRAP that is some good work!

I'm just stunned!
10-01-2017 08:05 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Thanks! ;D
I always strive for quality =)
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 01:14 AM by Nazeji.)
11-01-2017 01:13 AM
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

(11-01-2017 01:13 AM)Nazeji Wrote:  Thanks! ;D
I always strive for quality =)

Could you do something with the Plant Man sheet I posted? I'd appreciate it a ton
11-01-2017 05:28 PM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

A few things about Protoman:
- that is not a cape, that's a scarf (I hope that was just a writing mistake)
- his jumping animation should be the mm9 and mm10 jumping animation or with a shield. It looks kinda akward at the moment (and very similar to Mario's... hm...)
- his buster is on the oposite arm of Mega Man
Also it's a good idea to animate his scarf when standing.
But other that that it's quite good. Keep it up!
11-01-2017 05:42 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

- The jump isn't finished.... It's a bit slapped together. I got tired of it being the same as Megaman's (I made him out of altering Megaman's gfx as you can probably tell)... quite a long time ago now, and I just haven't gotten back to it yet. I was thinking the same thing, that it looks like Mario's jump lol. I'd also like to make his scarf, or cape, change positions when jumping up, or falling down (maybe also his arms... we'll see).

- His shield just isn't programmed in yet. I'm going to make it an optional piece of equipment that he always has (and equippable from the weapon menu), and an option to have it equipped or unequipped by default (when starting a level).

- Yeah actually I was thinking of animating his cape, or in most cases he does really have a scarf indeed. I was thinking of having it move around some in intervals as though a breeze comes by here and there (like how Megaman blinks when you let him stand still). I'll animate it when he slides too.
As far as the scarf vs cape thing goes... well while he typically has a scarf, I do very much like the short version of the cape as well that I see him with occasionally, and sometimes I like the long cape (but it's my least favorite of the 3). I do really really like the double / split end that the scarf in effect makes a lot as well though, but it's often rather short, and I wanted it to be very visible, so I went with the short cape version.
I could make the 3 alternate styles though and so that you can choose your preference (and as a costume change rather than a separate character ID); there are differences too I'm seeing in the scarf length in artwork, so I could also have a couple scarf types too.
I've already planned to have different styles for Roll too, I think 3 maybe: Classic, the new / MM8 style (or somewhere in that range of the games I suppose it was introduced), and a more armored body style so she looks made to be a fighting robot.

- I do see that Protoman's Arm Cannon is normally on the left arm in the artwork now that you mention it, while Megaman's is normally on the right.
Right now the game just flips the gfx, but I could draw it in back in the frames where Megaman's is in front, and vise-versa (and eventually perhaps I'll make separate frames for facing left and facing right when the arm cannon is out). Do you know if (officially) they can have a Cannon on both arms at once, or swap between sides?

Thanks! I will definitely keep going with this project, and won't get cheap on the quality (I'm sure I'll slap in some stuff occasionally some more to get something just.. 'There' / 'Working' when needed, but will always keep going back to fix and/or refine things).

~ Bonglorio
It may take me a while to get to it, but I'll work on Plantman, as well as any others that need a good amount of improvement. I want to compare a lot of the NES Bosses to each other, and then to these Wily Wars style ones you drew, and then to artwork, and also just make sure I get his height as accurate as I can before I start.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 07:37 AM by Nazeji.)
12-01-2017 12:17 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Quote:Do you know if (officially) they can have a Cannon on both arms at once, or swap between sides?
There exists the double Rock Buster, but I think it has been officially used once; in Super Adventure Rockman.
It wouldn't make sense in this game though.
12-01-2017 05:46 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Ahh interesting, thanks (I remembered it being used from... I think it was that other Megaman cartoon... that wasn't really official as far as I know lol~ where Megaman has a diamond on his head instead of a square).

I might actually have one use for it, but if not it's still interesting to know.
It would be a little visual bonus if I decide to allow firing Plasma with a secondary button while having a different Weapon equipped like in Megaman 8 (at least if firing both weapons at the same time).
Don't know yet what I'll do, but it's a consideration.
12-01-2017 07:16 PM