Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
Bonglorio Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: Mega Man: The Wily Wars 2 (Programmer Needed!!)
So people mentioned new Wily Tower bosses, so I got an idea.

Megaman Killers.

Enker, Ballade, Punk and maybe Quint. They could appear alongside or in the place of the revived Genesis unit
13-01-2017 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

I started drawing Megaman X (mainly just for the curiosity of what a Wily Wars style X might possibly look like)~
On a side note: It's still a work in progress (mainly I need to work on the upper chest area a little more, and then look at it again several times with fresh eyes; and this and blinking are the only frames atm).

[Image: MegamanX_BetaGfx.png] . [Image: MegamanX_Blinking.gif]

Edit : Attempt 2 (except the arms, haven't redone them yet)
[Image: MegamanX_BetaGfx2.png]

---

Hmm, the Megaman Killers seem like a pretty interesting idea. I'm not familiar with them since I haven't played the Gameboy games, but I've come across them while looking up artwork before (and just looked up a brief story on Quint).
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 03:12 AM by Nazeji.)
14-01-2017 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Quote:I started drawing Megaman X~
Why though?
He doesn't appear before MM10, and we're talking about MegaMan 4, 5 and 6.
I get you're trying to make more playable characters, but don't you think that's a little off?
Cool sprites though.

Read my post before replying. READ IT
15-01-2017 08:37 AM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Ahh thanks. ~But yeah certainly it's off, very much so.
Mainly I just got kinda curious what a Wily Wars style X might possibly look like, so meh, I started drawing lol.
And such characters will not be a normal part of my hack of the game (since I think I'm going to include X and Zero afterall...), just bonus hidden and/or unlockables (or even in a separate 'extra special version' or w/e of the hack) to have more fun with the game, for anyone that wants to experience a romp-through of the stages with such characters (Wily Wars is also based around Time Travel, so I could technically work in some bonus story aspect to semi-fit any such unlockable content, although that's obviously stretching it and not likely desirable to do).

Though I'm not the kind of person to go adding ridiculous stuff and without considering how it affects things (I understand how even mentioning such an idea looks), so I'd only do it in a way that wouldn't ruin the game.

I hope though that I haven't been taking over the thread with what I'm working on, but figured I'd share since it's of the same overall basic idea.
(This post was last modified: 15-01-2017 09:43 AM by Nazeji.)
15-01-2017 09:19 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

you should create a thread for these sprites in the sprite section so you can get better feedback and you don't have to hijack the thread http://sprites-inc.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=8
15-01-2017 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Yeah sounds good, and thank you.

I intended to only showcase & contribute what pertained specifically to this topic (and if I forgot to mention it earlier, feel free anyone to use any gfx of mine that might be useful to you, no credit necessary either, I really don't care about that), and got a little side-tracked; plus to mention that I'm working on this idea of a Wily Wars 2 kind of game as well to simply say that it's a version of this that will exist at some point (since what the thread is really about is the idea itself, and hopefully creating a working game of it).
(This post was last modified: 15-01-2017 11:14 AM by Nazeji.)
15-01-2017 11:09 AM
Maverick Blue Warrior Offline
Registered

I don't like the sprites of X and neither of Proto Man. :/

Thinking about it, I decided to make a sprite based on an official crapcom sprite that would look like the original:

Http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2017/...prites.png

As you can see, this sprite I made is the one that comes closest to an officer launched by crapcom. I hope you like it.

I found Proto Man sprites on Deviantart much better than these:

Http://danmanx5792.deviantart.com/art/Pr...-359031953

It was not me who did the sprites, the credits go to the original author.

If I were you I would not hesitate to use them.

Be careful with the creation of new sprites, I also did not like the reworking of the sprites of the classic Mega Man. The problem is copying and pasting the pose of the classic mega man to the proto man and to X.

Bonglorio, I really enjoyed your sprite work. ^^
27-01-2017 09:06 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

I made some more comparisons with Protoman, and you're absolutely right, there's something very off about him...

It seems to me like it has a lot to do with his face, his visor, and the positioning of the shine on it. I'm finding Protoman to be quite a challenge because he has a lot of details to fit into a small space and much of them being diagonally positioned things, and if simplified I find it just looks kinda lame (most of all the white part on his head), as with the example you showed me.

I actually came across those sprites recently, but couldn't go with them. They are quite good as a basic functional sprite for a Wily Wars Protoman... though almost everything about his head just feels too similar to NES quality to me overall (but a little more colorful).
I don't feel like it quite matches the perspective used by Megaman in Wily Wars. His head and visor looks kinda right in the direction it's facing (though maybe a slight bit too much forward at the screen), and his face and mouth looks like it's facing to the side just a little bit more. Speaking of which I'm realizing that the white part of his head is wrong-ish in mine as well (the square and stripe on Megaman is pretty far to the front).

Here's something I threw together (this is in no way finished or what I'm going with), just demonstrating how some small changes to the face, visor, and helmet at the side of his face makes him look at least a little more Protoman like than the previous one I did.
[Image: Protoman_TestExample.png]
I quickly made an alternate stance just to compare, though it kinda looks like more like a full battle stance.... oh well.
And Photoshop is really laggy for me on Windows 10 (3 seconds per click to draw after a few mins of drawing), so I can't even draw much right now (it fluctuates, the past few days it's been unbearable).

---

When it comes to X (I hope we're thinking of the same thing, I'm only referring to my second drawing of him, the first one was a rough and more partial attempt), yeah I'm not really liking his stance either.
I wanted to try him with the same stance as regular Megaman (and actually I messed up the back leg, it needs to be extended back slightly more to better achieve that), but I think he needs his arms up a little and his front leg bent more too, kinda like the example you put together. I do want the gfx to look a little more rich though, and not so plain and basic....
How do you feel about X's Helmet though (regardless of how his face or anything else about him came out)?

I also attempted altering his size to be more technically correct compared to Classic Megaman, but maybe it just looks too big... hmmm.

---

When it comes to Classic Megaman, perhaps it's the shine on his Helmet blending too much with the rest of the shading on it that you don't like (I reduced it slightly just now), or is it just everything?
Or maybe you just don't like the extra colorful and shaded look as I did it really at all (or maybe it's the small shine spots)?
Because what I changed was his coloring and a few other little details, not much of his shape.
How much / little in comparison do you like how he looks while shooting from a ladder?

---

Sorry if that's too much info to read, and questions to answer.
But it is helpful to have some feedback to know what other people are seeing, and I like to be a little more descriptive with things like this so I can get at specifics better. I'll try to keep it shorter normally though.
(This post was last modified: 30-01-2017 02:28 AM by Nazeji.)
30-01-2017 02:21 AM
Maverick Blue Warrior Offline
Registered

Nazeji, I particularly don't like the brightness in the sprites, it takes away all the original essence from them. And you would have to do the same with all the sprites of the game, meaning you would have to put brightness on all of them. :/

I'm not a professional spriter, I just tried to make the X's sprite closest to what would be an original crapcom sprite. Maybe I'll improve the sprite later, but I would not make a big change.
I also noticed that X's head is too big in your sprite.

I liked the new Proto Man sprite, but if you compare it to the original, I still preferred the sprites of DanmanX5792 from the link I put.

http://ap.imagensbrasil.org/images/2017/...isone..png

Notice how the sprite of the DanmanX5792 is much more faithful to the original 8 bits.

I respect your taste for brightness and sprites, but I did not like it.
Your sprites are good, but they do not have the original essence of crapcom sprites, and I value it very much.
30-01-2017 02:15 PM
Nazeji Offline
Regular
Registered

Ahhh I see... well hehe, I was actually looking to remove the 8 Bit look and most of the essence of those original sprites (or for the most part at least, as Megaman's face is hardly any different from at least the original Wily Wars one).
I very much respect that you really value the original essence of them though, and I do have an appreciation of them myself in some ways, but I wanted to go with something that resembles more of a realistic sense of what the characters would look like (as done in a variety of the artwork, especially in game artwork~ like a mix between the Wily Wars version of MM3's Title & Weapon Acquiring Screens and basically everything from MM4 and up).

As far as the other sprites in Wily Wars goes, I'm actually finding a lot of them to be more bright and colorful, and a lot done in a similar style to what I did... except many of the Robot Masters having more bright color (sometimes too bright) except with a bland diffused shading (instead of more realistic coloring with a little shine where appropriate).

Yeah I think I'll have to reduce X's size a little (as it's making him look too close to SNES or PSX sized sprites).

I redid Protoman's head. It's not necessarily finished, but far better than before I think.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 12:55 AM by Nazeji.)
14-02-2017 12:51 AM
BlissXP Offline
Registered

Wow, this is so cool! Keep up the good work guys!
14-02-2017 09:16 PM