Fan Game Mega Man Y+1
Hi, it's been a while, especially since we posted any dev update. You might've been wondering if we're dead and well, we're on that path sadly.

To put it shortly, Alex is really busy with life lately, which is 100% understandable for us. We'd rather not pressure the man into doing stuff for a free game, a life's a life. As a result, we've been looking for Unity programmers for a good while now, with no luck... which brings us to this post.

We're switching to Game Maker (once again), considering that we've got a few people who were interested in helping develop the game while looking for Unity programmers, and not to mention how many more people use Game Maker in this community, as opposed to Unity.

As such, we urgently need YOU to help us develop this game. If you aren't a programmer, but you happen to know a few people who are, please let them know too.

Feel free to contact me on Discord (MelonadeM#1104) about it, or MrKyurem @ MrKyurem#4780 (MrKyurem is busy at this time, so please contact me first)
I'd (at least try to) help if there were significant amount of resources for the game (levels built, enemies, robot masters, tile sets, etc) ........... Except for the fact I hate Game Maker, sadly...... Your game looked pretty great though. Big Grin

The only other ppl I know who work in Game Maker is WreckingPrograms, but he already has his own game project going. Undecided
[Image: dolphin-turn.gif]
Wanna go for a ride?
There's a lot of assets done we haven't shown off yet (on purpose, out of fear of this happening, or just general "spoilers"). The game design part of the game is almost entirely done, spare one or two levels that need to be revamped. Additionally, the soundtrack is sitting around at 60% completion, and the graphic work (tileset/sprites) at 30-40%.
I understand people don't want to work on projects that have nothing to show, but we've got some things done that we just didn't get to show or outright can't.

For what it's worth, I've already talked to WreckingPrograms, they're busy (which is 100% understandable) but they gave me some pointers on where/who I could possibly ask.
Are you planning to switch over to Mega Engine, then? For what it's worth, I was a total GM noob when I learned about Mega Engine, but after spending just 3-4 hours in tutorials I was able to pick it up and run with it, and now my fan game is about to launch! Mega Engine was a great way to learn both GM and coding. Granted, I had some level of coding in my history, but it was minimal: C++ back in college (back in 2002, I'm old) and fiddling with Java a few times. Even if you don't know how to code, this would be a great way to learn!

So if recruiting doesn't go well and you already have a team assembled, it might be best to have one of your team members take the baton. You want your programmer to be passionate about your project, because he/she can single-handedly take it down by losing interest (as has already happened). Like you, I once started a video game project that suffered a quiet death because the programmers weren't invested and ended up quitting. You might want to be careful about recruiting an outsider into your team and resting your hopes squarely on him/her.

I hope this helps! Just wanted to offer my old-man rambling, I would love to see your project take off and find success Smile
Well,,,, Hypothetically what if you found someone who was able to help you program the game, but it was done with something other than Unity, or Game Maker? Or do you actually really prefer it to be someone who has knowledge of Game Maker?
Wanna go for a ride?
(28-02-2018, 02:02 PM)KishSquared Wrote: Are you planning to switch over to Mega Engine, then? For what it's worth, I was a total GM noob when I learned about Mega Engine, but after spending just 3-4 hours in tutorials I was able to pick it up and run with it, and now my fan game is about to launch! Mega Engine was a great way to learn both GM and coding. Granted, I had some level of coding in my history, but it was minimal: C++ back in college (back in 2002, I'm old) and fiddling with Java a few times. Even if you don't know how to code, this would be a great way to learn!

(I cut out the rest of the post, out of fear of it being too long in this quote block. -M)

Our plan is to use the Mega Engine, yeah. We're hoping to find some people who are already skilled, but I've dabbled in GM a little already. I'm nowhere near as skilled as some of the better people in the community, and it'll take time to learn it proper, which is why we'd rather get someone who's already familiar with Game Maker.

(04-03-2018, 07:32 AM)N-Mario Wrote: Well,,,, Hypothetically what if you found someone who was able to help you program the game, but it was done with something other than Unity, or Game Maker? Or do you actually really prefer it to be someone who has knowledge of Game Maker?

While this would work for one person, we'd realistically need at least 2 people with knowledge in this hypothetical platform/language, that would also be interested in programming for a MM fangame (for free). I'm not going to settle for one, because if said person is busy, then what do we do?
2 people huh? Alright then...... Yea I don't know anyone else (here) who works on the same software that I use. If I were to be hired for the fan game, it would be under CT Fusion because I'm more familiar with their programming script. I've done a couple Mega Man engines over the years, but I never made it passed a demo release of said mega man game. I once started on a 2D mega man legends game in 2017, but the guy who asked me to do it stopped production of the graphics and the music artist for the game in fear of any COD's from Capcom (For whatever reason).
If you want me to show you some examples of some of my fan works on Mega Man, I wouldn't mind. But otherwise, it sounds like you want a few more people to work on the engine rather than just 1 person.
Wanna go for a ride?
I was afraid that another "Infamous Intent"-type case was going to happen. The downside to many prospective Mega Man fan projects being under development/improvement at the same time is a shortage of freed up people to recruit (especially programmers, those are the white whales of the MM fangame community).

All I can suggest is that it might be a good idea to post a vid on YouTube, to let as many people know of the issue as possible. Word of mouth can go a long way. Still, I hope for the best for you folks. If worse comes to worst, you could always try to assist one of the remaining ongoing projects.
(07-03-2018, 06:33 PM)barberbarberjoe Wrote: I was afraid that another "Infamous Intent"-type case was going to happen. The downside to many prospective Mega Man fan projects being under development/improvement at the same time is a shortage of freed up people to recruit (especially programmers, those are the white whales of the MM fangame community).

All I can suggest is that it might be a good idea to post a vid on YouTube, to let as many people know of the issue as possible. Word of mouth can go a long way. Still, I hope for the best for you folks. If worse comes to worst, you could always try to assist one of the remaining ongoing projects.

I don't think this is an IFI type case. That game was cancelled for lack of interest and overambition. I'm still very much interested in making Y+1 a reality, and the game itself doesn't come close in terms of ambition.

Getting programmers to help can indeed be a pain, I'll agree with you there.

For what it's worth, we managed to recruit a programmer already, so we would only need one more to help out. If you think you could help, PM me here or send me a message on Discord (MelonadeM #1104)