How To Make Custom SNES Instruments?
Spike T. Dragonowitz Offline
Purple Stoner Midget
Registered

Threads: 13
Music  How To Make Custom SNES Instruments?
This is something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I don't know how to pull it off. Now, I know for a fact that the SNES can play compressed and/or uncompressed 16-bit .WAV files, but I'm not sure where I can find such samples to work from.

For example, I'm wanting to create my own 16-bit guitar samples (Because I believe that the SNES is perfectly capable of producing rock music...and most official guitar samples sound like crap.), unfortunately when I google "Guitar Samples", all I can find are .WAV files of guitar riffs (AKA a series of notes). That's not what I'm after; I want short, single-noted, sustained samples that I can loop with FL Studio's DirectWave.

There are other types of samples I want to turn into SNES Instruments, like synth pads, strings, brass, percussion...but the whole list would be a waste of time and I don't wanna bore anyone who reads this thread.MM - Derp

So, long story short, how can a noob newbie like myself go about creating SNES instruments from scratch?

She started chasin' that Purple Dragon...not me, cuz I'm a purple dragon; I'm talking about Heroin...
...It's a metaphor, look it up! You have the internet!
09-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
RE: How To Make Custom SNES Instruments?
Samples need to be under a certain size to successfully work in .SPC format, so your recordings are gonna need to have the shit compressed out of them regardless.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
09-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Find Reply
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Threads: 14
RE: How To Make Custom SNES Instruments?
You need to create short .WAV sounds, then find a tool that will allow you to convert them into samples. Sometimes I use SNESGSS and it allows you to directly import .WAV files and creates a sample, but if you don't want to do that, I'd find a program that does. (I don't know of any though.)

Novice animator and general animation fanatic, Bob Clampett advocate, and generally apathetic towards Mega Man as a character. Amateur chip musician, but that's second priority.
Check out the CartoonCo blog!
10-01-2016, 03:26 AM
Find Reply