Zedicon's sprites
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Threads: 1
Zedicon's sprites
Sprites or whatever! Who cares!

Mega Man robot masters in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: 3Pygb2T.png]
The original Mega Man has some weird designs in terms of face shapes which don't translate very well to Mega Man 7 style. Whoops!!

Mega Man 2 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: difLVfe.png]
Mega Man 2 is a little bit easier to transcribe. Except for Wood Man since his design sucks, oh dear.

Original Bass player character sprites.
[Image: O7iXBGJ.png]
Mega Man 10's Bass sprites are literal garbage. There is no reason for his sprites to be lazy edits of Mega Man. I made some actually good ones. Nice one, Capcom.

Assorted robot masters sprites.
[Image: rhIVADr.png]
I'm working towards making singular sprites of all the classic Mega Man robot masters with a few extras on the side, these are a few robot masters, most are from Mega Man 7, 8 and Bass since those characters never received official 8-bit sprites other than Frost Man and Slash Man, but they were dumb so who gives a damn.

All work displayed in this thread is mine and custom made unless stated otherwise, edits and collaborations will always be acknowledged and any original artists will receive appropriate credit. Do not edit or repost my work as your own because I will find out and I will take action.
(This post was last modified: 14-02-2016, 05:55 PM by Zedicon.)
04-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 2
RE: Zedicon's sprites
Wow, I have to admit, these are all really well done. Like, wow. Really well done. I do have some minor critiques to note, however, just tiny little adjustments.

[spoiler="Criticisms"]Elec Man's smirk seems really hard to notice amidst his skin colour without an outline of some sort, so I'd suggest either changing the colour of his teeth or adding a small outline or something. I'm not entirely sure how to solve his problem but I'm sure there's a way.

Fire Man's white-grey seems to have way too much contrast if you ask me. I personally think the darkest grey should be bumped up a bit in brightness.

Air Man's feet seem tiny compared to his hulky body - Heat Man and possibly Wood Man share this problem.

Bass' fins seem huge. More so horizontally than vertically; they stick out a bit too much in my opinion.[/spoiler]

Well, that's my two cents, otherwise, I'm really surprised at how well-done this all is! I really can't wait to see more from you.
04-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Find Reply
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Threads: 3
Crtiques for Bass:
The fins are too big and round, and you made the hidden under-fin peek out (Bass facing right). If you take a look at his MM7 sprites, that part hardly peeked out. Also, if you study Bass' toy figure, at that angle, the under-fin is hidden from view.

And the yellow lining on his waist, I think it should be trimmed about 1px. Looking at the figure, its not that thick.

Also, he appears to have some sort of a beard. Make that part in skin-tone.

Bass MM7:
[Image: bass7sheet.gif]

Bass MM7 x Treble:
[Image: trebel7sheet.gif]

Bass Toy Figure:
[Image: mega-man-rockman-bass-a-trading-figure-c...pcom-3.gif]

I loved the MM7 rendition of MM1 & MM2 RMs, though.

For 8-bit Astro Man, maybe you could add an extra palette for him, i.e. on his orbital legs (black, blue, pink).
05-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Thank you for the comments and criticisms, I will hope to address most if not all of them in the near future.

No new Mega Man 7 style sprites this time unfortunately, I am busy working away at Mega Man 3 and 4 at this second. For now, just enjoy something on the other end of the spectrum; 16-bit robot masters in 8-bit.

Mega Man 7 robot masters in 8-bit.
[Image: hbsxAfF.png]
Mega Man 7 has some really weird designs, some translate into 8-bit quite well, others like Junk Man and Shade Man, just don't.

I had addressed comments about Bass' 8-bit representation in regards to the size of his fins.My original intention was the keep them in scale with his 16 and 32-bit representations in Mega Man and Bass and Mega Man 8, in hindsight this wasn't a good idea as they were oversized compared to his body, in retrospect I did go a little overboard myself too.

The yellow lining around his chest and his waist is entirely intentional. I tested out a few different versions with different yellow lining and I felt like this fit the best. It's hard to translate the design of Bass' chest to waist to such a small space, the only thing that's missing is the grey between chest and waist, but that wouldn't fit. Likewise, the continuation of Bass' helmet to beneath his mouth was intentional to differentiate his head shape and sprite design from Mega Man and Proto Man. None of Bass' sprites to date feature the helmet design that extends down to his jaw, even though it's present in almost all his official artwork.
15-02-2016, 05:31 PM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

The only three issues I have to note are that Cloud Man's little teardrop-shaped headpiece seeming a pixel too tall (perhaps shrink it down by the white strip), Slash Man's head seeming a little flat in colours in comparison to the shading of the other robot masters (as well as Mega Man 10's rendition of Slash Man) and Turbo Man's colour scheme seeming a little off - the blue is probably too dark in comparison to his artwork and sprites. Maybe Mega Man's cyan would be a better fit.

Overall, still awesome! Can't wait to see more. A very nice conversion.
15-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Thanks for pointing out Cloud Man, I had thought that making it a pixel shorter would make it look too wide but in hindsight there isn't a way to make it thinner without adjusting the shape entirely according to perspective.

The lack of definition on Slash Man is something I dealt with whilst designing the sprite, originally I littered the head with white highlights but when it came to the rest of the sprite I realised doing so was not a good idea for palette restrictions, seeing as Mega Man boss sprites can only use 3 NES sprite layers and I'd wasted two on Slash Man's head alone. I changed it up and so had to change the way I coloured Slash Man's head, seeing as the only layer with orange on has green as it's other colour it wouldn't look very good throwing green around his head. Mega Man 10's Slash Man is accurate in terms of colours when the original Mega Man 7 sprite is concerned but when you consider that the Mega Man 10 sprite is supposed to be reminiscent of NES sprites it's colour usage is all over the place.

Turbo Man's palette will also be rectified, the current blue, used on Burst Man and my Pump Man sprite in the first post of this thread was far too dark, I'll switch it to Mega Man's dark blue since that looks a little better.

Some more new stuff, though it's minor since Mega Man 3 and 4 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style will probably take a long while and I can't give a solid date for when they will be done, but hopefully they'll be done soon!

Mega Man? and Bond Man in 8-bit.
[Image: hDgRgu2.png]
Diversifying Mega Man?'s pose from the original Mega Man whilst trying to keep it familiar was a little difficult but I managed, Bond Man doesn't look too bad either, doing the glue tubes with perspective was fun.

Mega Man? and Bond Man in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: cpL4k0Y.png]
Mega Man?'s pose took a little bit of work, wanted to keep it similar to my Mega Man 7 Mega Man sprite whilst not being a straight up blatant edit. Tinted him a slight shade of purple other than his skin to make his palette unique from Mega Man's, the colours weren't derived from any SNES sprites or screenshots so I'm not sure they're accurate to the hardware capabilities, if I find similar colours in SNES sprites and screenshots I'll change them. Bond Man is essentially the same story as the 8-bit sprite, experimented with having the glue tubes being a flat horizontal angle but it didn't look good for the style of sprites so I changed it up for a bit of dynamic posing.
20-02-2016, 03:07 AM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

Very good work with MM? and Bond Man, I'm definitely a fan of the shading (on both bittages) for the glue tubes, not much to really criticise here for Bond Man. While I do find Bond Man's cap on his head to be a bit tall in his MM7 portrayal compared to his 8-bit counterpart, it's actually probably more like actual glue tubes in terms of proportion and height so really, I can't really complain all that much.

With MM? in 8-bit, I do find the left arm (his right) to be a bit strangely shaped, maybe I find the hand portion a pixel too tall or maybe the shape of the elbow is throwing me off, it's hard to tell what the problem is and how to fix it. Perhaps it's a bit compressed horizontally because of the green, hitboxes I guess they are? I'm not entirely sure what those are, I can't say I've seen them before, would it be alright to ask for a brief explanation?

MM7 MM? is awesome though. Maybe the palette is a bit dark for his 'cyan-slight-purple' colour but that could easily just be my own personal preference.

Excellent work as always.
20-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Find Reply
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 5
(20-02-2016, 07:44 AM)Alienoid Wrote: Perhaps it's a bit compressed horizontally because of the green, hitboxes I guess they are? I'm not entirely sure what those are, I can't say I've seen them before, would it be alright to ask for a brief explanation?

Based on the fact that they are 8x8 tiles making up the grid, they're probably supposed to show how the sprite could be split up much like how they would be stored in a NES ROM. Though not fully accurate as the tiles would have to be split when there are multiple palettes.

Take MM1 for example:
Mega Man: http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/blah/mm1-megaman.png
Robot Masters: http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/blah/mm1-masters.png

Also, take notice that some tiles are not perfectly aligned to a grid in their placement, some are shifted over a couple of pixels. All of Zedicon's sprites have a perfectly aligned placement (which if this were for a NES ROM would mean using extra space that could be cut down by shifting certain tiles).

Hopefully Zedicon is making the sprites how he wants them to look, and the tiling is an afterthought, especially if he's cramping himself with an inaccurate tile grid. Also the fact that he's not pressed for space like he would be if these were going into an actual NES game.
20-02-2016, 03:05 PM
Website Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

DarkSamus993 you are a total saint, you put that far more adequately than I ever could.

The green tiles behind my 8-bit sprites are just something fun I like to experiment with. Since I never intend my sprites to be used within actual NES games and games reminiscent of the hardware limitations, I put those grids behind my sprites just to see how efficient my sprites may or may not be for memory conservation. It all started with Frost Man, whose size meant that he would use a lot of graphical memory within the game, I was curious about just how many 8x8 tiles Frost Man used and how many were left blank.

My leniency for the 8x8 tile grids is that if 3 or more pixels occupy a tile then I'll leave the sprite be as it is, if 1 or 2 pixels occupy the tile I will try my hardest to adjust the sprite the clear the tile so I could make it blank. Sometimes it's easy and the sprite will look better with the adjusted tiles but sometimes the sprite just does not look good so I leave it as it is, there's no definitive iron ruling so whatever goes goes if you catch my drift.
20-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

After a week and a few days I have a few more bits and pieces to display, Mega Man 3 and 4 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style are still in the works, taking a little longer than usual because of life reasons and whatnot. In the meantime, enjoy what I have to present as of now!

The Yellow Devil in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: oACmSLc.png]
So this was a little idea that came to mind when I watching videos of Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters. Yellow Devil is a fortress boss before you fight Dr. Wily in story 2 so I decided to have a shot at making a Mega Man 7 styled Yellow Devil. I calculated the scale against 8-bit Mega Man and 8-bit Yellow Devil so the size should be alright. I'm not at all happy with how the Yellow Devil sprite came out other than the lineart and the eye, the rest just does not look good by any means. I am totally open for suggestions and criticism regarding the issues wrong with the sprite, I tried my best but it didn't amount to much.

The Genesis Unit in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: Gng3cAu.png]
Because it did not feel right only producing a sub par Yellow Devil Mega Man 7 sprite, I looked to another Mega Man 7 sprite project I could undertake. I was originally going to leave these 3 until after Mega Man 3 and 4 were done and posted, seeing as you had to beat Mega Man 1, 2 and 3 to unlock Wily Tower in Mega Man: The Wily Wars, but just having Yellow Devil there didn't seem sufficient enough. These 3 were a lot of fun to work on, very nice varied design to each of them which gave them each a unique feel.
04-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

Hmmm, yeah, Yellow Devil does tend to be a tricky little shit to sprite. While it definitely isn't perfect, your rendition is a pretty good start, though I will note a few possible improvements.

The lack of a crotch is definitely my biggest issue with this sprite right off the bat. This seems like a pretty basic shading issue, to be honest. What do I mean? Well, let's take a look at the Power Battles Yellow Devil.

[Image: NZceWmN.png]

Notice the definition of the crotch in both sprites. Notice how, with the shading, you can see that the leg is protruding from a central point on the right instead of acting as a "tube" on the left.

And just below the crotch is the shading. I feel like the colours used here are a bit too contrasting to one another for such a huge sprite. In the head it's just, three different bands of colour. Circles. Circle-bands. Whatever. Though considering the MM7 palette, I'm not entirely sure what a fix could be, though maybe giving the highlight a little more area might fix the problem because right now, he looks more orange than yellow.

This might be a minor irk of mine but I feel like Yellow Devil could stand to be a tad less perfectly round. Reason being? He's made of liquid. It might be because of the way the arcade sprites are stretched horizontally, but look at how the Power Battles Devil sort of, gloops down at the bottom. Obeys gravity. Gives some real weight to his appearance. Of course, this could be just me, so who knows. Just a minor suggestion.

And my last issue is that the feet are a bit too tall, in my opinion. Maybe like, shrink their height down a few pixels?

And the Genesis Unit is fantastic, not a lot to say there. The only issue I have is Hyper Storm H's, underbelly, grid thing. It looks vaguely like a solar panel, I guess. It doesn't have any shading. None. Zilch. Kind of stands out in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!
04-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Hello.

I'd like to start off with a formal apology for my prolonged absence and lack of activity. I am going through a rough spot in life at the moment and things are just crumbling all around and I'll hope to explain my situation soon.

I must apologize for my lack of activity in the 24 days it has been since the last post. I had hoped that to commemorate 10 replies in my thread and an amounted 1000 views, to which I thank you all, I didn't think I'd get even have of either of those figures honestly, I would post some updated sprites and even some new and archived work as well, considering as I've got some really nice feedback from the community here. However, whilst adding the adjustments to my work I just felt my motivation to continue with both the updates and my Mega Man 3 MM7 sprites just slowly dwindling in the back of my mind. It's awful. I want to work on this stuff because clearly there's a slight demand for it here, but I just can't. I've hit a block with all the Mega Man 3 characters I've completed so far which isn't good at all, it's been the most troublesome lineup since the original Mega Man characters.

Because of the above and other things happening offline in my life right now I'm under a lot of unnecessary stress which isn't doing anything but lower the state of my mental health. I don't get depressed often as many others might do, but when I do it hits me hard and I don't want that to happen. I'm sorry for bringing this up here of all places but I just need to update those that frequent my thread, be it viewing or giving criticism and feedback, so they know that I haven't just disappeared from the site completely, I'm just on an unexpected break and I'm not entirely too sure when it will end. I hope it's soon but really, god only knows.

I am currently on a 3 week Easter break and so I am away from my computer and my sprite work documents. Whilst I would have liked to have brought the documents back home with me to work on with all the things mentioned above I believe a little bit of time away to clear my head will do wonders for the quality of my upcoming work. I'll be back home at my computer on the 17th of April, to which I will post any updated work that is completed. I haven't got much uploaded to the web to show off now except some bits from my Twitter account. Enjoy, and again I apologize for any disappointing delays and absences.

Break Man and Gemini Man in Mega Man 7 style.
[Image: aTVmIBs.png]
(This post was last modified: 17-08-2017, 03:05 PM by Zedicon.)
28-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

(28-03-2016, 01:40 AM)Zedicon Wrote: I am going through a rough spot in life at the moment and things are just crumbling all around and I'll hope to explain my situation soon.

I must apologize for my lack of activity in the 24 days it has been since the last post. I had hoped that to commemorate 10 replies in my thread and an amounted 1000 views, to which I thank you all, I didn't think I'd get even have of either of those figures honestly, I would post some updated sprites and even some new and archived work as well, considering as I've got some really nice feedback from the community here. However, whilst adding the adjustments to my work I just felt my motivation to continue with both the updates and my Mega Man 3 MM7 sprites just slowly dwindling in the back of my mind. It's awful. I want to work on this stuff because clearly there's a slight demand for it here, but I just can't. I've hit a block with all the Mega Man 3 characters I've completed so far which isn't good at all, it's been the most troublesome lineup since the original Mega Man characters.

Because of the above and other things happening offline in my life right now I'm under a lot of unnecessary stress which isn't doing anything but lower the state of my mental health. I don't get depressed often as many others might do, but when I do it hits me hard and I don't want that to happen. I'm sorry for bringing this up here of all places but I just need to update those that frequent my thread, be it viewing or giving criticism and feedback, so they know that I haven't just disappeared from the site completely, I'm just on an unexpected break and I'm not entirely too sure when it will end. I hope it's soon but really, god only knows.

Oh, man, sorry to hear things haven't been going smoothly on your end. You don't have to worry about forcing yourself to update, with your quality of work it'll be more than worth the wait! I'm definitely with you on the fact that a break might give you that mental refresher to really crack down on the MM3 bosses, though. I don't mind waiting in the slightest and I'm sure most of everyone else won't mind either. Take it easy, man, we love ya bunches.

Onto the sprites! I really love the way the 'window' of the shield pops out, it really gives some shape to the shield overall. I do kind of feel like the extended flowy whooshy whooshy bit of the scarf is a bit short length-wise, but I'm not sure if that's to do with the hitbox aspect or not. I haven't seen the green boxes for the 16 bit sprites so it's hard for me to tell. The only other two problems I have are colour-wise:

- The contrast on Prot-I mean Break Man's grey is pretty high compared to his red. The highlights are the main offenders. The grey highlight is pretty sharp compared to the darker greys, but the red highlight blends in really well. Almost too well. It's kind of the opposite problem I have with Mega Man, his blue highlight being much lighter and his cyan highlight blending in really well. Though this is probably more of a MM7 fault than yours.

- His eye colour. While I don't have a problem with white, from both official sources of Break Man's eye colour (his sprite and his portrait from MM3), neither are white. His sprite has more of a light-peach colour and his portrait, of all colours, is blue. Not exactly a complaint, more of an observation for you to decide to act on.

And with Gemini Man, my only real complaint is that the 'edge' of the mirror-chests in the middle is a bit too apparent in my opinion. Maybe a darker blue for the outline going down the middle? Just a thought.

Excellent work as always, and again, sorry to hear about the rough patches. Hope things turn around soon! Looking forward to your future work and hearing that stuff's feeling better on your end. Best wishes.
28-03-2016, 03:25 AM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

I must thank you all for your patience and hospitality in this trying time, the feedback on all my work up to this point is gratuitously welcomed. I did not mean to embark on such an extended length of absence but these things happen. I'm hoping that this won't happen again but sometime these things happen with little to no notice unfortunately so I apologize in advance.

As mentioned in my informative update post I said I would post some updated sprites, so now is no more better time to follow through on my promise.

Mega Man 7 style robot master updates.
[Image: EIySCt6.png]
There's a lot to cover here so I'll just add a list per row of sprites.

General
- Every character with fingers visible has been adjusted to have four fingers on each hand for consistency.
- Characters with single segment boots have had the creases made consistent across all sprites.
- Every character with visible ear pieces has had the position of their ear pieces aligned relative to their eyes for consistency.
- Colour palettes have been made consistent across all sprites.
- Title font has been adjusted for consistency. Official font pack is below.
[Image: idnglwV.png]

Mega Man
Mega Man - Updated the shading on his legs.
Bond Man - Changed highlight of his chest gem from white to red for consistency and updated the shading on his boots.
Bomb Man - Adjusted the height of his boots.
Cut Man - Adjusted the shading on his hands and left boot, adjusted the size of his right boot, changed body height and head height slightly.
Elec Man - Adjusted his head height.
Fire Man - Adjusted the shading on his right boot.
Guts Man - Updated the shading on his chest gem.
Ice Man - Added fingers to his right hand, adjusted the position of his left hand.
Oil Man - Adjusted position of his oil buster in accordance to perspective and foreshortening.
Time Man - Updated the shading on his head gem, also adjusted size of left boot.
Mega Man? - Updated the shading on his legs.

Mega Man 2
Air Man - Adjusted his body height above his eyes, also adjusted the height of his body below his blue belt. Adjusted the size of his boots and his hand, aligned position of his hand with his air shooter.
Bubble Man - Made a small adjustment to his bubble nozzle mount, added second air tank obscured by his body. Updated the shading on his right kneecap.
Crash Man - Remains unchanged.
Flash Man - Remains unchanged.
Heat Man - Adjusted the height of his boots.
Metal Man - Added anti-aliasing to the edges of his shoulder blades, adjusted the size of his right arm.
Quick Man - Adjusted his head height, added shading to boomerang buster.
Wood Man - Updated the colouration of his hands, adjusted the size of his boots.

The Genesis Unit
Buster Rod G - Added sprite of his buster arm variant from Wily Tower.
Hyper Storm H - Remains unchanged.
Mega Water S - Remains unchanged.

I've ran into a problem with these sprites, or more specifically, a singular sprite. In the general notes for the Mega Man 7 style updates I mentioned that I gave every character four fingers. This includes Mega Man. I have given my custom Mega Man 7 styled Mega Man sprite four fingers but now it makes his hands look too big. Before I left for my break I tried my hardest to come up with as many viable solutions as possible to fix it but as of writing this I am still at a loss as to what exactly to do to fix the issue. I'd rather not have every other sprite have four fingers and then have Mega Man only have 3 because it would create a subtle dissonance which I don't want plaguing my work. If anyone has any solutions they're willing to offer I'm open to suggestions as it's a rather small problem that I want quickly rectified.

8-bit Mega Man? and Bond Man updates.
[Image: xonoePH.png]
I've adjusted the position of Mega Man?'s clenched fist and the size of his right eye, whilst the expressive nature is a little lost it makes his face a little more similar to Mega Man. Bond Man remains unchanged.

8-bit Mega Man 7 robot masters updates.
[Image: Gzg5rlv.png]
In accordance to the feedback I received, I adjusted the height of Cloud Man's head and made Turbo Man's blue colour lighter. Everyone else is as they were when they were initially posted.

Original Bass player character sprites updates.
[Image: 6HNwIn3.png]
Aside from the obvious change to the size of Bass' fins I've also made small adjustments to pretty much all the sprites. A pretty sizeable adjustment is the jumping sprites, previously I had two rows for different contextual jumps like regular jumps and dashing jumps. In an attempt to diversify the design of the sprites I reduced the amount of jumping sprites to one row and kept the different styled jump. Treble is on the way but I'm having a little bit of trouble with his general appearance. Below is a sprite I designed a few weeks ago, I'm aiming to keep his appearance consistent with other characters.
[Image: 0g2fVos.png]

That's it for the updated content, hopefully no new issues have risen with the new adjustments.

New Rush character sprites.
[Image: sNbkYsY.png]
Now whilst these sprites might seem new I actually put these together in late 2014 as part of a project that sank years ago. The sprites need a few adjustments here and there for readability but for now they're not too bad.

The Genesis Unit in 8-bit.
[Image: H31RXNb.png]
With having tackled The Genesis Unit in 16-bit Mega Man 7 style, I thought it only apt to put together some 8-bit classic Mega Man sprites of them, since these 3 characters were exclusively 16-bit Megadrive sprites.
(This post was last modified: 13-08-2016, 11:57 AM by Zedicon.)
19-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

Good to have you back! I guess saying 'excellent work as always' is a tiny bit redundant since a lot of it is only minor changes but I'm going to say it anyway. Excellent work as always.

The last post was kind of a long one so I'll do my best not to drag on for tooooo many paragraphs, but I figured now that I can see all these sprites together, I can give you a bit more detailed critique.
I, apologise for not having noticed some of these things to suggest before and only noting these after you posted your 'updated versions'. But then again you don't even have to listen to me so who knows, maybe I'm off my rockers with these and you can ignore me.

Mega Man
Mega Man - I agree, Mega Man's hands are too large. The only two differences I can suggest are to make the fingers smaller, or to change the rotation of the hands.
[Image: uDocBoy.png]
Something kind of like this! It'd take some fiddling with but I'm sure there's some solution that can be worked out.
The only other thing that really irks me is his torso. More specifically, the top of the torso. Even more specifically, the 'collar', for lack of a better term.
[Image: qp3uNu2.png]
Take a look at that blue collar thingy under his head. Notice anything strange?
[Image: aAM7x0O.gif]
These two pixels (the highlight of the blue shades) is the exact same colour as the shade colour of the cyan. Thus, to the untrained eye, it looks like instead of a circular ring around his neck, it's more like a horse shoe around his shoulders. Either replace it with the base blue colour or adjust the blue highlight, in my opinion.
Also noteworthy about the collar,
[Image: oImKoul.gif]
This one pixel (the blue shade) blends in a bit too well with the black outline Mega Man has, making his chest look a bit, endowed. Possibly if you move it over one pixel to the right it would look better?
Bond Man - A lot less to say about Bond Man than Mega Man, the only thing I can really see wrong is that his legs seem really thin compared to his chunky arms.
Bomb Man - He looks really good! The only thing that stands out to me is the angle of Bomb Man's hand. I don't think the thumb should be visible, it should be on the other side of his hand.
[Image: e3RjgRp.png]
coughs quietly as I draw this chart to see if the thumb actually should be there or not
Cut Man - I feel like Cut Man's cutter is at a slightly different angle than the rest of his body. Cut Man is facing a little to the left (our left) and the cutter could very easily be seen as facing directly forward. I wouldn't say it's a huuuuge issue but it is something worth considering in my opinion!
Also! Looking at Cut Man's hands might give a solution to the Mega Man problem, just rotate the hands so that a finger or two wouldn't be shown but would still be implied to be there, maybe? I don't know how that'd turn out but I'll spew anything out in case it inspires something.
Elec Man - Maaaybe try bumping the lightning bolt on his mask up a pixel? Maybe also add a pixel or two of vertical height to his boots to make him a little bit taller. (Elec Man's hands seem a tad large as well, his left hand (our right) especially.)
Fire Man - I feel like the colours are still an issue, the white-grey and the dark grey are too contrasting. The fire atop his head seems to be leaning too far to the left for a neutral standing sprite, and his right buster seem maaaybe just a bit too short length-wise. Try bringing the edge a little bit to the left.
Guts Man - I feel like the jaw goes a little bit far to the left, try shrinking it a pixel horizontally to match it closer to the size of his head.
Ice Man - Ice Man also suffers from the 'too big hand' syndrome. His left arm is fine, but his right one, yeah, it needs to be edited a tidbit. While I feel like his boots are a bit small, he's meant to be pretty tiny so I'll just ignore it.
Oil Man - I feel like Oil Man's dark blue doesn't quite contrast enough. Maybe just bump the brightness of the highlight up a little.
Time Man - I'm, trying to think of something to say for Time Man, but nothing's coming up, it's absolutely perfect. Very well done.
Mega Man? - Mega Man?'s hand is a tad large as well, probably because he has Mega Man's hands.

Mega Man 2
Air Man - Air Man's boots are really small compared to his arms. Try thickening them a little bit, maybe making his legs longer.
Bubble Man - Bubble Man is fantastic, nothing else to comment on.
Crash Man - Crash Man's right drill arm looks longer than his left drill arm. This is because they both take up the same vertical space, but one is at a 45° angle while the other isn't. My suggestion would be to knock his left arm up by a pixel or two, or his right arm down by a pixel.
Flash Man - His buster seems pretty bulky in comparison to the rest of his body, though I really like the level of detail the buster has. I'm torn.
Heat Man - Heat Man's boots still seem really small compared to his arms and body. He doesn't even have any legs. His fingers take up a lot of space, too.
Metal Man - His fingers on his right hand seem a bit chubby and rounded for somebody all about sharp edges.
Quick Man - Quick Man seems to have a really bulky body for someone of his speed. Then again, his arm blocks a fair deal of his torso so maybe it cuts off in a way I can't see, but from what's there he seems to be really bulky.
Wood Man - This time, Wood Man having so many fingers really suits someone of his bulky stature. Though his boots still irk me with how small they are compared to his hulkish bod.

The Genesis Unit
Buster Rod G - Nothing to say with this guy, perfect.
Hyper Storm H - I'm still not happy with that line of panels at the bottom of his torso, I feel like it could use a few pixels of shading, at least.
Mega Water S - My only notes are that the spiky ring around his head seems to be angled a little awkwardly (it seems to be leaning down when his head seems relatively upright) and his hand seems to be a bit small. Or, thin, should I say.

Whew, that was a lot to type out, been at this for a while. Now for the 8-bit sprites, I don't really have much to say. The only two sprites I have issues with are Rush and Mega Water S.

Rush - His middle torso segment seems a bit too big in my opinion. Well, no, not big, but the bottom area is more exposed than I feel is necessary.
[Image: t0sjyZq.gif]
Try moving this green portion over to our right by one pixel, perhaps.
Mega Water S - I definitely have a problem with the spiky ring atop his head, it looks just pasted on his head instead of being a part of his body. The outline also looks a bit, straight, in my opinion.
[Image: 6lzOqce.gif]
Basically move these pixels lower down to thin down the saw blade cap hat whatever.

Alright, that's all the advice I can give you at the moment. Hope I didn't overdo this but I figured that I'd offer as much criticism as possible in order to help as much as I can.

And as I said before, really good to have you back! I really look forward to seeing more work from you! I hope you're feeling better and are recovering from life. Keep on keeping on, man, you're doing great.
19-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Thank you once again Alienoid for your equally plentiful and helpful critique, I am glad your feedback is as in depth as it is as it all helps to produce more refined work in the future. I am rather busy with a few real life bits and pieces and a few personal projects so no Mega Man 3 and 4 robot masters just yet. I will adjust the sprites in accordance to the criticism given when I get a spot of free time.

For now, today's update is focused on Mega Man. I had previously highlighted the issue with the size of his hands with having four fingers rather than the original 3. I have been working, on and off of course, in hopes to fix the issue all together, I hope that what I have to present is the final if not penultimate version of the sprite. I have compiled a lineup comparison image displaying the original Mega Man 7 sprite, my different versions and variations, the update and a totally new sprite based on his 8-bit idle sprite.
[Image: g9fEHBp.png]
Please feel free to add criticism, critique and feedback as you wish, any comments are much welcomed and very helpful!!

The only other new piece of work I have to show is a potential running animation for my new Mega Man sprite. Mega Man 7 has a really bad reputation for having bad sprites of the classic blue bomber, with my new sprite I hope to draw a totally new sheet that rectifies most if not all of the issues. One of my most feared animations to tackle was the run, since the original's was so sloppy and all over the place. However, with the help of reference of 16-bit X and 32-bit Mega Man running animation sprites, I managed to get a decent run cycle done. It uses 2 less frames than the original cycle and X's run cycle but I think it looks okay as it is.
[Image: YHGs3kK.gif]
Same as above, feel free to add criticism, critique and feedback, I haven't done much sprite animation over the past 2 or 3 years so any feedback on this piece would be super helpful!
01-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

I'm a fan of the latter two stances, they definitely fix the huge-hand problem. For the 8-bit-based sprite, I feel like something could be done about his left hand (our right) with the fingers, but I can't work out for the life of me what, unfortunately.

And for the running animation,
Holy shit it's absolutely stunning.
It's so smooth and action packed, and how consistent the head spins is absolutely hypnotising. I have no helpful suggestions because in my eyes it's perfect enough as it is.
01-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

I'll continue to toy around with the classic 8-bit sprite, I'll probably end up using it for a idle standing sprite in a future Mega Man sheet. The current version used for lineups feels a lot more active than Mega Man just standing there.

Thank you for the feedback on the running animation! I've always had issues with running animations so I'm super impressed that it came out so well, a lot of the time was spent on studying the flaws and issues with the original Mega Man 7 run and comparing it against Mega Man 8's Mega Man run and X's run to put together a cohesive and pleasant looking animation. The head was actually really fun to work on, as was the whole thing in fact!

Okay, time for a few update updates.

Mega Man 7 style robot master updates.
[Image: gvKWZI3.png]
Mega Man
Mega Man - Obvious changes include the reduced size of his hands, also adjusted his collar panel to not blend in with his torso shading. I felt his face was rather square so I shaved some pixels off the right side, looks a lot better now!
Bond Man - Made his legs thicker.
Bomb Man - Adjusted shape of hand, looks a lot more natural now!
Cut Man - Adjusted position of Rolling Cutter blades and slightly changed the scissor handles at the sides of his head.
Elec Man - Reduced the size of his hands and made the lightning bolt on his mask one pixel taller.
Fire Man - I made his left fire buster one pixel longer and adjusted the fire, the original intention was to display the fire blowing gently but for a static sprite it didn't work. For the time being I'm leaving the dark grey shade as it is, I like the contrast. I'm trying to find a decent colour to replace it with and have had no luck so far.
Guts Man - I have left his chin the same position as the original sprite. One of Guts Man's defining design characteristics is his exaggerated underbite so the position fits.
Ice Man - Slightly changed his posture and reduced the size of his left hand. Ice Man and Mega Man are actually the same height in the original Mega Man, so I did the same here, both are 40 pixels tall!
Oil Man - His hand is now smaller and the highlight for the navy blue sections has been lightened for contrast.
Time Man still remains unchanged.
Mega Man? - Same adjustments are original Mega Man.

Mega Man 2
Air Man - Made his boots thicker.
Bubble Man still remains unchanged.
Crash Man still remains unchanged. I wasn't sure what you meant with Crash Man so I just left him as he was originally posted.
Flash Man - Reduced size of the buster slightly. I had miscalculated how large the buster ought to have been compared to the rest of his body, this new one looks a lot better, plus it kept all the necessary detail!
Heat Man - Made his boots larger and his hands smaller.
Metal Man - Made his fingers slight more pointed. There wasn't much room for adjustment here so I did what I could.
Quick Man remains unchanged.
Wood Man - Made his boots larger, adjusted his head position and made his body taller and thinner.

The Genesis Unit
Buster Rod G remains unchanged.
Hyper Storm H remains unchanged. It seems illogical to add shading to the panelling between his legs as its totally uniform with his body and there wasn't any material indication in his artwork.
Mega Water S - Adjusted his kappa cap and made his hand and arm thicker.

New Rush character sprites.
[Image: zf8s29y.png]
I made Rush's neck more prominent to fill the large space between his head and his legs.

The Genesis Unit in 8-bit.
[Image: VtjsnC8.png]
Buster Rod G remains unchanged.
Hyper Storm H - Added some shading as his size meant that his parts looked really bare.
Mega Water S - Lowered two pixels on his kappa cap to imply it's flat shape.

If there's anything else you spot feel free to mention it!

In regards to Mega Man 3 and 4 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style: I am almost done with Mega Man 4, possibly a few days away from being done! They're coming! I promise!
(This post was last modified: 13-08-2016, 11:58 AM by Zedicon.)
24-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Find Reply
Alienoid Offline
Still Here
Registered

These are looking really awesome! I'm really flattered you're taking a lot of my advice, I'm super glad I can help out! This time around I'm probably not going to be able to offer as much constructive criticism as before since I pointed out as much as I could last time, and most if not all of it was fixed. So I'll just give general comments and point out a small thing or two when I see them.

Mega Man
Mega Man - Mega Man looks waaayyy way way better! I especially love how you handled the head, it looks absolutely fantastic.
Bond Man - Bond Man looks super rad, I'm definitely a fan of the new thickness! It makes it feel way more consistent.
Bomb Man - There we go, the hand looks way more natural, now. I'd possible suggest getting rid of those two dark yellow pixels at his palm, maybe try that out and see how it looks.
Cut Man - Nice! The angling looks way better, now.
Elec Man - I'm definitely a fan of how the mask peeps up above Elec Man's head. Possibly try moving it a pixel to the left? I'm not sure if that would make it look weird or not, try it out and see for yourself.
Fire Man - The fire looks way better, now. I also love the highlight on his little torch head there! I kind of have to disagree with you on the matter of contrast, but each to their own! You do you, friend. It'll probably just take some getting used to on my end. There might possible be a bit too many embers around the flames, though, it feels a bit cluttered and tacked on because you have room for detail. I don't know if they should be at the side like that. Try focusing more on keeping them up above instead of down at the sides?
Ice Man - The hands looks much nicer, now. Maybe you could afford to make the back of the head a bit thicker, add some more blue to the right? Maybe that would make his head too comically large, again, see for yourself. I'd feel kind of guilty editing your sprites for you.
Oil Man - Lookin' pretty rad, there. Nothing much to say.
Time Man - Still perfect.
Mega Man? - Still amazing! Especially with the hand edits.

Mega Man 2
Air Man - My only suggestion would be to lengthen his legs by a pixel or two? Otherwise he's perfect!
Bubble Man - No comments to expand upon what I said last time.
Crash Man - Basically what I meant by Crash Man was that it looked like his drill arms were different lengths. I meant to suggest that you shrink one of the two busters by a pixel length-wise, though it just occurred to me that it could simply have the same rotation but swivelled horizontally. So, nothing really needs to be done about it!
Flash Man - His buster looks way better, now! Still a bit bulky, but I don't think you need to fix it any further.
Heat Man - Feeling a lot better about Heat Man, now, looking good!
Metal Man - I'm pretty content with Metal Man's fingers, not much you can do about it, really.
Quick Man - My opinion still remains about his torso being really bulky, but that might be just me. His arm blocks out a good chunk of it.
Wood Man - Still bulky but not excessively so! I like it.

The Genesis Unit
Buster Rod G - Still amazing.
Hyper Storm H - Okay, you have a point about the shading, I getcha now.
Mega Water S - He looks way better, now!

8-Bit Sprites
Rush - Now he looks perfect, nice job!
Mega Water S - The cap looks way better now, better than I was expecting it to. Nice job!

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of how it all looks, now. I can't wait to see three and four!! I'll be sure to try and give you as much crit as possible on those as well. Sorry for the lackluster comments this time around, but I honestly can't think of any way to further improve these sprites.
24-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Find Reply
Zedicon Offline
Resident horse man
Registered

Here they are! After almost 4 months (sorry!!), the Mega Man 3 and Mega Man 4 robot masters in the Mega Man 7 style are finally done, and just in time for this thread to reach 3,000+ views! It seems like only yesterday that the thread had just surpassed 1,000+ views, I'm really amazed at how quickly the number has climbed!

Anyway, onto the new work!

Mega Man 3 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style.

[Image: 44INEsb.png]
So we've already seen Break Man and Gemini Man but since then I've made small adjustments to both characters. For Break Man I slightly adjusted his posture so that he's now the same height as Mega Man considering Mega Man and Proto Man are theoretically the same height and I added a small glimpse of Break Man's hand behind his shield. As per the comments from March I made the 'eye' is the visor blue and made his scarf longer, I really like how Break Man turned out. Gemini Man's edit was simply making the split of his body armour coloured rather than black like his outline. The rest are all a bit of a mess, I had trouble with every sprite in this line up but they all came together in the end, the ones I struggled the least with were Hard Man, Snake Man and Top Man.

Mega Man 4 robot masters in Mega Man 7 style.

[Image: 8BraLgW.png]
Mega Man 4 was a lot less problematic. Since I started doing these sprites 4 was actually one of the rosters I was looking forward to putting together, surprisingly Toad Man was my favourite sprite to work on, despite being my least favourite robot master from Mega Man 4.

Low Resolution Zedicon Animation.

[Image: FnKscnW.gif]
I can't actually remember when I put this together. Attempted to make a simplified, low resolution animation of my horse avatar Zedicon with a bass guitar, from what I recall the majority of putting this together was adjusting all the frames to be the correct frame rate so the animation would play smoothly.

That's it for now, I apologise that these sprites took so long to get here, didn't expect some of these robot masters to be so troublesome. I'm going to be away from my computer for a few days if not a week so I won't be able to get started on the next lot but I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with anything that I come up with!
(This post was last modified: 13-08-2016, 11:59 AM by Zedicon.)
30-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Find Reply