Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest - Released! V1.6
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Threads: 3
RE: Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest - Released! V1.4
New patch as well as an updated filename finally. More crash bugs fixed, plus I finally fixed bubble man's text.
26-05-2016, 03:15 AM
Find Reply
untraceablelarry Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
I expected this to be better; for some reason, I was expecting an engine on the level of Unlimited, Rock Force, Mega Pony even... Something that I could confuse with official series for longer than 2 seconds. This was quite reminiscent of Square Root of Minus One; not horrible, but nowhere near the actual games, with plenty of stupid errors. It even has the same Rush Coil issue...

The weapons have many, many issues. I'm going to omit criticisms of what I assume you couldn't do, such as have Magic Card carry things or Black Hole Bomb suck things in.

Mega Man should not be able to walk on Rush Jet. He could only do that in 7, and it was dumb there. Rush should also disappear upon tapping a wall, not wedging himself halfway in it, and he shouldn't disappear when you grab weapon energy. You probably shouldn't be able to jump up through him, and, if you do want to be able to do this, than he shouldn't move during it.

In regards to both Metal Blade and Magic Card... Firing three shots takes off a weapon energy; firing another one takes off another weapon energy. This then repeats. It should probably just take one off every other shot. Grabbing a large weapon energy fills the energy in big chunks instead of one at a time, for just these weapons (it fills properly for everything else).

Metal Blade should go through the things that it kills, though I supposed you could have just nerfed it...

Pharaoh shot should be aimable while standing still uncharged; currently, you can only aim it when moving or when it is charged. Firing a charged shot while holding down or up (but not left or right) automatically fires it up and right, even if you aren't facing right.

Magic Card probably shouldn't off-screen itself when you fire it from the middle of the screen.

Black Hole Bomb is all kinds of wrong. What is up with its hitbox? It hits no targets above it, one target left, and two targets down and right in the target range. Shouldn't it hit in a circle? This appears to just be a weird rectangle.

Top Spin has no weapon energy cost against the targets. It also forces you to keep moving when you are using it, when it probably shouldn't.

Rush Coil should only turn into Rush when he hits the ground, not where he is summoned; you can easily jump on him in the air currently.

Weapons should disappear when you switch to other weapons when you use the quick switch.

At the end of one of the stages, while going into a boss hallway, a gate can close on you and trap you.

The game froze when I fought the boss of the best stage (Glass Man?). He summoned his glass shield when a Gemini Laser was in it. This didn't even bring up the normal Game Maker error thing, it just crashed.
26-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Alright, time for responses -

Black Hole Bomb DOES suck things in, but only bullets.

Rush Jet was originally too finicky and I changed it, that's why you could shove him into walls. But I fixed that now. Mega Man walks on rush jet simply because it glitches the heck out if he doesn't, same with rush being passthrough.

The energy bar appearence for Metal and Magic was simply due to how game maker rounded decimal values by default. I didn't modify the values with any rounding functions, but now I did and the bar makes more sense now.

Metal not going through stuff is a nerf.

The Pharaoh Shot issue was a programming error, I've fixed that now.

It's probably better to decrease the speed anyways, magic card is OP as is...

Thank you for pointing the black hole bomb thing out, somehow I didn't notice that the hitbox was completely detached from the black hole itself??? I also made the hitbox circular.

I don't know what the heck you did but Top Spin definitely should take away energy for the stuff it kills. It doesn't for stuff it doesn't kill because no one wants the dumb MM3 glitch to be back again. Also the moving thing was a balancing thing.

Midair rush coil was intentional but so many people have complained about it that I went ahead and fixed it.

Fixed the quick weapon switch thing.

Which level? That's not really helpful.

No idea what caused the Glass Man freeze. There was no error so I'm not sure when to start.

Patch with all these fixes is up now.
26-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Find Reply
Big Fish Offline
Sea Food
Registered

I found a glitch, if you use rush coil in the Tier 2 area to the upper left part near the teleporter to the hub and then jump you're stuck off-screen.Also, self-destructing after doing that absorbs all your life and you keep re-dying.
26-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Find Reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Threads: 14
So I've opened and closed MaGMML a few times today. And well, earlier I noticed that my computer's performance was taking a dip, so I checked task manager to see what was the problem....

http://i.imgur.com/ybNoRI7.png

None of the MaGMML processes were closed. I'm on windows 10. This also explains what was going on earlier with my computer not letting me rename the files of the different versions.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
27-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Find Reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Threads: 9
Hoo boy.

More issues/suggestions to add to the pile—I swear this is all in the interests of polishing the heck out of this game that's already highly enjoyable:

- There's no longer a transparency background for the trophy icon that displays when the game is loading.

- During the intro cutscene, if the game window is out of focus, the music keeps playing and eventually fades out, but the cutscene does not advance. Not a major issue, but I feel like it would make more sense for the music to pause with the cutscene, or for both the music and cutscene to keep going. Though this would probably affect other parts of the game somehow, so maybe forget I brought it up.

- In the credits, a couple of the standalone names seem to bounce or vibrate a little bit when scrolling by; "ANYONE ELSE I MISSED" and the highlighted "REDBLUPI", for instance.

- On the very first screen of the hub, I feel like there should be SOMETHING on the big black screen. Maybe sprites of the judges, or a random scene from the festival, or maybe just "CONGLATULATION" after you've beaten the game.

- It's a little hard to tell what Quint is at first glance; suggest slowing down the bouncing animation to the speed used in MMII (and maybe also using the color scheme from Quint's Revenge so it's even clearer). Unless this is another in-joke that I’m missing.

- Any chance the signposts could have a blinking exclamation point or question mark painted on them? I feel like that would help hint at their function for new players.

- For the judge comments, what are the odds of having a different background color for each judge’s opinion? Especially if the judge names can’t be included at the top of each page, color-coding could be a big help in remembering who’s who.

- In the shop, would it make sense to squeeze a “JUMP = BUY; FIRE = CANCEL” explanation in the bottom-right corner of the item window (to the right of the screw counter)?

- In the shop, should the Charge Upgrade icon look like an arm cannon or a projectile (or maybe just the Mega Buster menu icon) instead of a helmet?

- The signpost next to the Wily Castle teleporter should probably have an additional sentence making it abundantly clear that the next part is LONG, and they should definitely buy everything they want at the shop before entering.

- When the player teleports into Tier 3 and Tier 2, the screen starts in one position and then awkwardly shunts downward when Mega Man lands. It’s a little disconcerting. Would it be possible to build a platform for Mega Man to land on instead, so that he appears in the center of the room and the camera doesn’t immediately shift?

- After the warning from Flash Man, it would be totally sweet if you hid an invisible 1-up in the little nook below the signpost for 9th place (Maze of Death). Or even a visible one.

- Tier 3 and Tier 1 music fades out before it loops.

- At the beginning of Tier 2, if you use Rush Coil to reach the ledge above the hub teleporter, and then jump straight up while holding left, Mega Man disappears, and it takes a moment before you can pause and bring up the menu to save yourself with the Exit Utility.

- The very top of the Tier 2 background is supposed to be a line of clouds, but it almost looks like someone forgot to put in tiles. Could the line of clouds be moved up one or two spaces, or broken up with some kind of cloud curves, so it looks more deliberate?

- When returning to the hub from one of the tiers, can Mega Man consistently teleport back onto the teleporter pad? Each teleporter drops him off a different distance from the pad, and it’s especially disorienting in the room with the teleporters to Tiers 3-1.

- The wall magnet toward the beginning of The Quickening is no longer animated.

Also, some editorial suggestions (because this is what I do for a living):

- In the opening cutscene, Wily's text should probably read "I've heard about this pathetic festival FOR that Mega twerp! And SO, I've decided to take it over!" and also "I've protected THE ENTRANCE with an unbreakable barrier!".

- In the credits, ORGANIZER should be "PYRO (SNORUNTPYRO)"; the slash could be interpreted as it being two different people with suspiciously similar names.

- Between the credits, the signpost tutorial at the beginning, and the Wily stage intro, we should be consistent about whether or not an underscore is used in Blackmore Darkwing’s name.

- Air Man’s text should read “Were you expecting AN ‘I can’t defeat...”

- In the shop, the E-Tank description should be “USE in the pause menu...” for nitpicky consistency with the W-Tank description, and the Drop Upgrade should say “Increases the enemy ITEM drop rate.”

- Plug Man’s text should read “Sprites INC” (capital INC, no period).

- Aside from what specific judges use, the writing generally appears to be in US English, so “Favourite” should change to “Favorite” in the level awards. And it you’re getting really fancy, ‘single quotes’ should be “double quotes” instead.

- Is there room in the 1st place (Glass Man) and 19th place (City War) signposts to spell out “Blackmore Darkwing”? We never refer to BD as BD anywhere else.

- 7th place signpost (Spiky Meltdown) should read “Cheez8’s” rather than “Cheez’s” for similar judge name consistency.

- 9th place (Maze of Death) and 16th place (Chroma Key) signposts should read “Duvi0’s” rather than “Duvi’s” (again for name consistency).

- Knight Man’s text might flow better if it read “Wily is reviving fangame robot masters, and I appeared in Revenge of the Fallen, so...do I get to have a boss fight?”

- The Haehay’s disclaimer about City War might be clearer as “There are some...interesting...issues with the level to the right of me. We added an energy element at the beginning if you don’t want to play to the end.” You technically still need to get the energy element from the level, so it’s not really optional.

- Skull Man’s text might read better as “...the teleporter TO MY RIGHT...”

Lastly, when I first played the game, I had trouble visualizing what the tutorials were trying to explain. Actually, to be honest, they didn’t really make sense until I started poking around Tier 1. Also, there’s not a lot of in-game explanation about the contest itself. So, for the tutorial signpost, could we maybe use this wording instead?

"Signposts (like the one you're reading) will give you information about the areas and levels you can visit. Because this game is the result of a contest, levels are grouped into tiers based on where they placed in the contest. The highest-ranked levels can be found in Tier 5. Five judges rated each level out of 100 points (accounting for fun factor, uniqueness, creativity, graphics, and music), and each level’s total score is the average of the judges’ scores. Here's how to read the signposts that contain level information:" [then use the same level info block as before, but cut the part about the judge scores after it]

Then, in the envelope to the right of it, say:

“Envelopes (like the one you’re reading) contain comments from the judges about each level. For a sample, read the envelope to the right of this one. Level comments, and also level scores (the numbers in parentheses on the level signposts) are always presented in this order: Pyro, Cheez8, Duvi0, Blackmore Darkwing, MrKyurem.”

Then, in the final envelope, drop in some random sample feedback for each of the judges (eg, “Hi, I’m Pyro, and your level is so bad that I want to light it on fire.”). Just having the judge names there looks like maybe there’s text missing.

No matter where you go, there you are.
28-05-2016, 01:37 AM
Website Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Alright, update is up with most of the above mentioned fixes. Some of the suggestions, though, I couldn't implement because of technical issues. Mega Man not teleporting directly to the pad sometimes is due to Game Maker camera issues, and I can't use double quotes anywhere, because in Game Maker, all strings have to be in double quotes. If I put a double quote in dialogue somewhere it would end the string. Also I think "favourite" looks nicer than "favorite" but okay ;-;. Also yeah there isn't room to have Blackmore Darkwing, that's why I put it as BD. The rightmost envelope is kinda rendered pointless with your rewrite so I got rid of it.

Also, the next update will have some new content ;3
28-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Find Reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Threads: 9
(28-05-2016, 03:40 PM)SnoruntPyro Wrote: Alright, update is up with most of the above mentioned fixes. Mega Man not teleporting directly to the pad sometimes is due to Game Maker camera issues.... Also I think "favourite" looks nicer than "favorite" but okay ;-;. Also yeah there isn't room to have Blackmore Darkwing, that's why I put it as BD.

Awesome! I wonder—would it make sense to shuffle around the teleporter placement a little so that Mega Man can land directly on the pad? I know that's more work, but I also remember one or two other people commenting about it, so maybe it's worth the effort.

Hey, I've got no problem with "favourite" over "favorite"; I'm just pointing things out for your consideration. I'm flattered that so much of my feedback has been incorporated to begin with; while I've got a personal stake in the success of the game, I never want to come off sounding like I'm making demands or strut around like I own the place.

If there's room when introducing the judges in the tutorial, maybe you could say "Blackmore Darkwing (BD)" so the abbreviation is clearly explained somewhere. I still read it as "80's Favourite" every time I see it!

No matter where you go, there you are.
28-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Website Find Reply
gone-sovereign Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 2
As I'm reading through this thread, I don't think this has come up as an issue yet (or if it's already been fixed for that matter).

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I hope to God it's not. If you get a game over after you die while fighting Wily Machine, you lose all your progress through the entire game, and have to completely start over. Found that one out the hard way. :/

Also, just wanted to say Pyro that I love what you did with Wily Stage 6. Makes me excited for MAGMML 2. I'll be looking forward to putting in a level for that. Big Grin

"You have to understand that people aren't just people -- they're a collection of the choices they have made."
- Peckinpah, House of Gold & Bones Part 3: The Answers
-----------------
DeviantArt
Tumblr
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2016, 10:38 PM by gone-sovereign.)
28-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

(28-05-2016, 10:36 PM)gone-sovereign Wrote:
Not sure if this is intentional or not, but I hope to God it's not. If you get a game over after you die while fighting Wily Machine, you lose all your progress through the entire game, and have to completely start over. Found that one out the hard way. :/

Also, just wanted to say Pyro that I love what you did with Wily Stage 6. Makes me excited for MAGMML 2. I'll be looking forward to putting in a level for that. Big Grin
Ooooh crap that is a HORRIBLE oversight. Wow. How did I miss that.

edit: alright fixed that
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 02:55 AM by SnoruntPyro.)
29-05-2016, 02:47 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
This made Silicon Era news, it seems.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/28/mak...-released/

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
29-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Find Reply
DamonaSchnider Offline
Mega Ma'am
Registered

Threads: 20
I'm uh... I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed that you've used the tiles I had planned for Dr. Light's lab in Megaman Disharmony without contacting me, or if I should be more annoyed that they've been misused in spots. : /

You've got large metal crates hanging from the bottoms of light fixtures currently. Those same light fixtures also have black lines running through the top of them that would normally line up with the other tiles I had set aside for where the ceiling meets the background, but since those tiles aren't used, it just looks like there are strange lines there for no real reason.

There's a background panel tile being used for the floor, ceiling, and walls of one entire room; I believe it's the one with Gutsman in it, and there are few spots where tiles that were meant to be single tile wide floating blocks are used to make longer platforms, which really looks off.

If you wouldn't mind at least adding me to the credits proper, under Clarissa Schnider, that'd be appreciated, but I'd also really like to see the tiles actually being used the way they were meant to be used too, if you don't mind doing some touch ups to the Lab's layout.
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 04:33 AM by DamonaSchnider.)
29-05-2016, 04:31 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

So this is a thing.

[Image: 1487or7.gif]

Also, I'm noticing that there are still some spawning issues for certain enemies--sometimes they show up when they should, other times they don't.

4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
29-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

(29-05-2016, 04:31 AM)DamonaSchnider Wrote: I'm uh... I'm not sure if I should be more annoyed that you've used the tiles I had planned for Dr. Light's lab in Megaman Disharmony without contacting me, or if I should be more annoyed that they've been misused in spots. : /

You've got large metal crates hanging from the bottoms of light fixtures currently. Those same light fixtures also have black lines running through the top of them that would normally line up with the other tiles I had set aside for where the ceiling meets the background, but since those tiles aren't used, it just looks like there are strange lines there for no real reason.

There's a background panel tile being used for the floor, ceiling, and walls of one entire room; I believe it's the one with Gutsman in it, and there are few spots where tiles that were meant to be single tile wide floating blocks are used to make longer platforms, which really looks off.

If you wouldn't mind at least adding me to the credits proper, under Clarissa Schnider, that'd be appreciated, but I'd also really like to see the tiles actually being used the way they were meant to be used too, if you don't mind doing some touch ups to the Lab's layout.

Oh geez, my bad! I just was searching for lab tiles on Google and found those. I didn't actually realize the light fixtures were light fixtures, I thought that the crates were supposed to hang from those. But yeah, I'll touch some stuff up and add you to the credits next patch. Sorry about that!

(29-05-2016, 09:41 AM)Lamda Wrote: Also, I'm noticing that there are still some spawning issues for certain enemies--sometimes they show up when they should, other times they don't.
Any specific ones?
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 02:15 PM by SnoruntPyro.)
29-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Find Reply
dinhnghiadn Offline
Registered

can you upload the file to another host please ? I cant download it Sad
29-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

The invincible-from-the-front shield guys--I put two more in my level and they still don't spawn during play.

The spike-jellyfish things that drop have a seemingly random ratio of spawning/not spawning.

Post more as I find them.

29-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Find Reply
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

(29-05-2016, 04:27 AM)Lamda Wrote: This made Silicon Era news, it seems.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/28/mak...-released/

Ah nice! The tip I sent to Siliconera worked. Now to continue to spread the word out to other sites...

Wow, apparently so many people have downloaded it that: "this account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!". Can we have some mirrors up soon?
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2016, 06:56 PM by Thoron.)
29-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

I'll get a Google Drive mirror up soon.
29-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
gone-sovereign Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 2
Okay, now I'm having an issue where after I've beaten all the stages and tier bosses and collected all the Energy Elements, the barrier blocking the Wily teleporter isn't going away. This is on V1.4.

"You have to understand that people aren't just people -- they're a collection of the choices they have made."
- Peckinpah, House of Gold & Bones Part 3: The Answers
-----------------
DeviantArt
Tumblr
29-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Find Reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Threads: 14
In the 14th place stage Sunset Siege, if you screen transition to the right on the ground to the pointless path with the guts platforms that doesn't lead anywhere, and try to go back because you walked right over a pit, you'll repeatedly screen transition left into a wall, then back to the right, then left again, etc., with no way of getting out. You can't pause, and using the kill button does nothing, as it seems Mega Man is too caught up in triggering screen transitions for the death to register.

Glitchyness with Pole Eggs

I clipped into the time bomb platforms, though I'm not sure how.

This top man frog enemy seems to be using game genie or something...

And he does do that every time you climb down that ladder. Also, I think space jumping enemies was a problem with the Mega Man Endless contest devkits that was fixed. Might want to check on that.

ONE more thing...

Yeah, he just kind of jumped into the wall and jammed himself in there somehow...

OH, by the way...
[Image: 23NBC3b.png]
It happened again. The boss died against the wall and it got stuck (though this happening is 100% luck; I'm surprised it happened on only my second run through the fortress).

Don't you just love having me around, Pyro? :3

Wait, I lied. I have another glitch.

Those electric orbs seemed to have spawned a little into the wall and collided up/down, so they just started moving horizontally through the air as if they hit the ground.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2016, 12:57 AM by Entity1037.)
30-05-2016, 12:09 AM
Find Reply