A Comprehensive List of Mega Man Fangames (With Links)
TheFallenAlchemist Offline
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

RE: A Comprehensive List of Mega Man Fangames (With Links)
(10-06-2016 05:06 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  I found another fangame for you... and it's quite... something...

Mega Man X9: Elf Wars

Art looks okay, ambitious for a fangame, and nothing looks too horrible at first...
Main Page with download here.

It's apparently completed, though it's all in Spanish.

Seems to be using the amazing x9 concept art and designs from ultimatemaverickx.
Here's a link to his x9 boss designs for reference.

But then... there's the gameplay video... and it suddenly looks a lot less awesome...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UYbA5lu4MI

Looks pretty damn fun to me. Compared to what I've been playing, this can't be any worse. Holy ****, this is one for the record books. I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but the dev cycle on this goes way back. I kind of thought it would never see the light of day, but that stage select screen matches the Mega Man X9 Spanish account on FB and it was made in flash, just as the teaser videos showed. I didn't expect a wonder out of it, it's just one guy. I'm surprised the damn thing is even out at all. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention, I thought it was a long dead project. Looks pretty bad, but it's one for the record books in the fact that it even exists.

Yes, the stage select for this game was originally shown in a video back on June 07th, 2014: https://www.facebook.com/Mega-Man-x9-1415260305388032/#

BTW, Someone is translating it in English and claims to be almost done with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoW1PfkbWO8 (2-3 weeks at most.) We should have a separate thread by which to dissect this monstrosity.

Further thoughts upon viewing English trans: I like the story so far. It is "edgy" or whatever you call it now, but I tend to like darker and grittier material. Let's face it, the series was headed in that direction since X3 and to me this feels right at home. It doesn't just write over the plot either. The writer clearly references a lot of the material from X9, especially where it shows that Axl might very well be corruptible. Axl thinks a sort of existential thought which should be common to nearly any sentient reploid. Humans go to the afterlife, but what happens to robots when they shut down and die? This is one reason we should never give AI that level of sentience. I'm glad to see this issue being addressed, even though in a fan construct. Coincidentally, this is also the reason why Axl is beating up X. Zero is considered offline, because the new doctor (DBZ scouter alert) thinks that it is too dangerous for him to be active until they've found a cure for the Sigma virus. It seems to me that all of this was going to happen anyway, obviously when we arrived at MMZ all of the 21xx robots with the exception of X were pretty much scrap. I believe they're going to work the elf story here, and try to make something like "robots transfer their conscious data into souls/elves" so that they can exist in the same way that human lives are purported by some to do. (Not getting into that debate here, just talking about the plot.) For the most part, this seems a visual novel with hints of gameplay. I can live with that.

(10-06-2016 07:26 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  You put Mega Man Revolution twice.

Also, could you add Mega Man X: Corrupted to that list? It's currently in development and has been for QUITE a long time, but if you look at videos for it you can see that all that development is really paying off. And the developers are relatively good with progress updates, the last one being back in May 3rd (though they try to keep some information to themselves so they don't spoil everything). It looks to be an amazing fangame!

Here's the game's website (though it's pretty inactive).

And here's the developer's facebook page where you can find all of the game's latest updates.

Take your pick.

Also, their YouTube Page if you want to check out all of the gameplay videos.

I need verification on something. A friend might have been trolling me, but he says that they created a sort of anti-power up in the game that sometimes spawns from enemies and can kill you. Is this true? Kind of like the poison mushroom in Mario.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 10:24 PM by TheFallenAlchemist.)
10-06-2016 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

(10-06-2016 08:56 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  I need verification on something. A friend might have been trolling me, but he says that they created a sort of anti-power up in the game that sometimes spawns from enemies and can kill you. Is this true? Kind of like the poison mushroom in Mario.

Never heard of that before.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
10-06-2016 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

(10-06-2016 09:59 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 08:56 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  I need verification on something. A friend might have been trolling me, but he says that they created a sort of anti-power up in the game that sometimes spawns from enemies and can kill you. Is this true? Kind of like the poison mushroom in Mario.

Never heard of that before.

Good, I was worried.

I updated the above to discuss a little bit of the story elements for the fan-made X9. Other than 21xx, this seems to be the only finished executable Mega Man X game to date. (Technically, 21xx was never finished either.)

Then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXolNQNKLRI
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 10:35 PM by TheFallenAlchemist.)
10-06-2016 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardRubber Mega Man AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardDoc Robot Award
Yeah, that doesn't sound like anything JKB would do--an anti-powerup that HARMS is one thing, but outright kills? JKB's too good at and considerate of balancing to do something like that.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
10-06-2016 10:34 PM
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

(10-06-2016 10:34 PM)Lamda Wrote:  Yeah, that doesn't sound like anything JKB would do--an anti-powerup that HARMS is one thing, but outright kills? JKB's too good at and considerate of balancing to do something like that.

Same thing I was thinking. The power-up I was told, was essentially meant to harm, but if you're low on life; it would of course kill you. Good thing I was only trolled.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2016 10:37 PM by TheFallenAlchemist.)
10-06-2016 10:37 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Thanks for the additional game suggestions! The list has been updated accordingly.

I've also taken the liberty of uploading a few games to my Dropbox that I cannot find anywhere else anymore, so now every game has a download link. If you're the creator of one of these games and wish for the link to be taken down, I will gladly do so; just let me know. My assumption is that the majority of fangames that disappear off the Internet do so unbeknownst to the creators (I know that's what happened with my Jedi Knight II multiplayer levels), so I'd like to do my part to preserve these works unless instructed otherwise.

No matter where you go, there you are.
11-06-2016 12:01 AM
FoxClaw Offline
Regular
Registered

A good start would be to at least look at Sprites-Inc for any fangames you could possibly have missed.
12-06-2016 07:33 PM
Karakato Offline
Karrot Lover
Registered

Wedge AwardZero AwardRevo Remix ContributorUDON Award
Just a few games to add, though they are currently demo builds:

Mega Man 25th Anniversary - It had promise but like Triple threat, got canceled. It does have a playable demo however, with a complete level and 2 boss fights.

Mega Man Maximum - It is another game with promise, but the developer has put the game in indefinite hold. Hopefully, it's temporary but at least we got a demo or two(Depending if you count the april fools level).

Mega Man Nocturne - A fan game featuring multiple playable characters (with 2 new characters) and an all female Robot master roster. Has a Demo in the link.

Mega Man Next Remix - Unlike Revolution remix which just rearranges the original with a new coat of paint, next remix is a complete overhaul that adds more robot masters and extra playable characters. I think there's a demo but it's still not done though as far as I'm told.

Mega Man Reverse of the Time - It has a demo with Toast man, a toast based robot who throws toast.

Other games that are in the works but have no playable build in the wild are Mega Man Infamous Intent, Mega Man Y+1, Mega Man Eternal 2 and Mega Man FD.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
13-06-2016 03:18 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(12-06-2016 07:33 PM)FoxClaw Wrote:  A good start would be to at least look at Sprites-Inc for any fangames you could possibly have missed.

I thought I had everything already, but I did another quick search and found a brief mention of two more games, which have been added.

(13-06-2016 03:18 AM)Karakato Wrote:  Just a few games to add, though they are currently demo builds:

I have reluctantly added Nocturne and Reverse of Time to the list. I'm trying to avoid in-progress games unless they're really far along and unlikely to be abandoned, but I find it impossible to resist women and toast. I can't find working download links for 25th Anniversary or Maximum, and the latest version of Next Remix I can find is an ancient Flash demo, so I'm leaving them off for the time being. If a well-developed playable build of the others ever surfaces, I'll be happy to add them to the list.

In other news, thanks to all your suggestions and my foolish, foolish search query on Game Jolt, the list is now five times as long as it was a week ago.

14-06-2016 04:02 AM
Entity1037 Offline
Registered

(14-06-2016 04:02 AM)Flashman85 Wrote:  I can't find working download links for 25th Anniversary or Maximum, and the latest version of Next Remix I can find is an ancient Flash demo, so I'm leaving them off for the time being. If a well-developed playable build of the others ever surfaces, I'll be happy to add them to the list.

I got you fam

Mega Man Maximum Bell Man's Stage Demo

Mega Man Maximum April Fool's Day Demo (however FYI this is literally an april fools prank, so don't expect much in the way of content)

To my knowledge these are the only demos of Maximum out there.

And I don't know about Mega Man 25th Anniversary or Next Remix, but I'll go searching for them tomorrow. I've already asked someone about providing a demo of 25th Anniversary.

I think this list is truly great. Not only does it provide a long list of all of these fanworks, but it provides a sort of history of all of the passion and dedication of fans. I think it would be awesome to make this list as complete as possible.

(This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 06:26 AM by Entity1037.)
14-06-2016 06:18 AM
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

(Points Finger Of Accusation) Flashman85, it was YOU who was responsible for "The Maze Of Death" in Make A Good Mega Man Level!

(insert round of spastic curses)

But to be honest, I will say that the level made me want to keep going back, because I enjoyed the challenge. I haven't finished this gauntlet yet, but I'm going to keep at it.

Entity1037, while the Gutsman platform is my all-time least liked platform type (Gutsman stages were always difficult for me because of this mechanic) I can say that your stage is quite memorable. I'm learning to love the Gutsman platform after two decades of hatred towards it.
18-06-2016 12:09 AM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

(18-06-2016 12:09 AM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  (Points Finger Of Accusation) Flashman85, it was YOU who was responsible for "The Maze Of Death" in Make A Good Mega Man Level!

I actually enjoyed that level. It wasn't too confusing and it was kinda interesting. However, I have to agree that it breaks a lot of rule regarding game design. There are no checkpoints, some places are improperly designed regarding enemy and obstacle design, etc. I can see how it could have been hell to some.
18-06-2016 01:25 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(14-06-2016 06:18 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  I think it would be awesome to make this list as complete as possible.

Hrnnngggg...I really didn't want to include incomplete and especially abandoned games, but you make a good point, and this is turning into more of a public resource than a personal tracker anyhow. I'll add the ones you mentioned the next time I'm updating the list.

(18-06-2016 12:09 AM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  (Points Finger Of Accusation) Flashman85, it was YOU who was responsible for "The Maze Of Death" in Make A Good Mega Man Level!

Guilty!

(18-06-2016 01:25 AM)Garirry Wrote:  I actually enjoyed that level. It wasn't too confusing and it was kinda interesting. However, I have to agree that it breaks a lot of rule regarding game design. There are no checkpoints, some places are improperly designed regarding enemy and obstacle design, etc. I can see how it could have been hell to some.

Gonna put my response as a spoiler to help keep the overall thread from going too far off topic...

18-06-2016 01:47 AM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

What I have been thinking about when writing this was first, the incredibly annoying underwater corridor that is full of spike you gotta come close to do have them get destroyed, which is really annoying, and I pretty much just damage-boosted through everything using the enemies that were around. I'd say this is not very good design. I also didn't enjoy the place near the weapon barrier where you have fire and you gotta use Rush Coil to jump onto the ledge (if you know what I'm referring to). There are also a few minor ones that seem to bother me, but the only one I can think of clearly is the part with the quickman lasers.
18-06-2016 03:37 AM
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

I'd agree with Garrity on the underwater part, but we should stick to topic. I wanted to copy and paste the original post back to the MAGMML thread, but when I tried to delete the post, it wouldn't let me do it, claiming I didn't have the authority to even delete my own replies. Weird.

Back to topic, should we include all the demos of X, Zero, BN, exc games never completed? Playable demos, mind you. I'll also keep updating the board with any playable in-devs I can find.

I noticed you don't have the Citrus Cult demo from 2010. Abandoned, but I may still have it on my HD somewhere.

(Checks HD)

Nope. But I do have Mega Man X: Rush To Battle, which is a finished game and kind of fun at that.

http://doujinstyle.com/archives/923

I also have a Mega Man Shmup demo called Mega Man Vs. Elec Man. (Note: It has since evolved beyond that.)

http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-24774.html
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 06:15 AM by TheFallenAlchemist.)
18-06-2016 05:38 AM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

Adding to the list of completed Mega Man X fangames, we have these two titles:

Mega Man X Next - A rather shaky MMX fangame, but at least it's complete. Though, out of the four, I would say this is the least polished.

Megaman X Nightshade
18-06-2016 06:47 AM
Entity1037 Offline
Registered

Ahh, nightshade... the game with a really small native resolution and window, and literally no way to make it any bigger. Fun times.

(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 06:51 AM by Entity1037.)
18-06-2016 06:51 AM
Linzodakatz Offline
Pastman Pot
Registered

Mega Man X Next - A rather shaky MMX fangame, but at least it's complete. Though, out of the four, I would say this is the least polished.

Ya know, the reason I'm not a big fan of maelstroms games is that they run way too bloody fast. It puts Sonic the Hedgman to shame

Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo
18-06-2016 11:16 AM
Karakato Offline
Karrot Lover
Registered

Wedge AwardZero AwardRevo Remix ContributorUDON Award
If Rokko Chan's listed there, then I'm led to believe that Rock bot should be included for similar reasons.
Google Play Store Page

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
18-06-2016 12:02 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
I've updated the list again with your suggestions, thanks! Note that the download link for Mega Man X Rush to Battle gave me a file that my virus scanner detected as being unsafe, so I found an alternate download link for the tracker.

We can totally talk about something off-topic here; let's just keep it hidden in spoilers.

(18-06-2016 05:38 AM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:  Back to topic, should we include all the demos of X, Zero, BN, exc games never completed? Playable demos, mind you.

Are we talking demos of OFFICIAL Mega Man games? Those would fall outside the purview of this list, but that's a good thought.

(18-06-2016 12:02 PM)Karakato Wrote:  If Rokko Chan's listed there, then I'm led to believe that Rock bot should be included for similar reasons.

I included Rokko Chan on the grounds that it could pass as a crossover; for all intents and purposes, it's a Mega Man game with different people cosplaying as Mega Man, Dr. Light, etc. I considered Rockbot, but there look to be a number of stylistic differences that make the game fall under the "heavily inspired by Mega Man" category instead. However, looking at the game a second time, I see a couple enemies directly ripped from Mega Man, so that's enough to add it to the list.

18-06-2016 07:50 PM