Oh, No! Where Did We Go Wrong? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games)
I like MMU but yeah, some parts are bull****. Wish the levels were 2-4 screens shorter or something like that. SuperDanny Powered Up's main problem is kinda like unlimited's. Very hard parts and long stages. Other then that I like both games.
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(09-06-2016, 09:52 PM)Smedis2 Wrote: Yes, I'm aware that constructive criticism is the name of the game here, but allow me to say this.

Mega Man Z is the worst thing in the history of anything ever. Now, I'm going to go in-depth as to why because I have nothing better to do with my time.

[spoiler=WARNING: This is really long. It's pretty much a Let's Play of this monstrosity.]

The moment this game is booted, we're greeted with this animation of an NES cartridge fading out, apparently trying to represent this "game" being inserted into an NES. It looks like total arse and the graphics are squashed and ugly. Let this set the tone for what's to come.

[Image: 5c9a93c29799770cba429abe274e5d9c.png]

Almost immediately after, we're told to press start to begin the game for literally no reason whatsoever. I especially like the giant, flashing System font used in this image. It really just perfectly exemplifies why this game is such a load of old rubbish masterpiece of human achievement.

[Image: d12128a8d7a12db3a76cd91024a3b13d.png]

Once we press start, the proper intro begins, and OH LORD is it a doozy. The first frame does so many things wrong in such a short amount of time that it makes me want to jump into a pit of scalding water to cleanse myself after witnessing it. The background, despite being lifted from Mega Man 9 (a game that runs at the native NES resolution), has been stretched for reasons mankind has yet to comprehend. Not to mention the text is badly plastered on. Dear Author: If you want us to believe this is supposed to be like an NES game, then you're doing as great of a job as making an experience on the same level of authenticity as this.

[Image: 5cb954bd0ea8da14a25b710f3139dae9.png]

While I'm no stranger to writing stupid plots myself, the story presented in Mega Man Z is... oh dear. The text explains that Wily is blaming Protoman for his failures, and it pretty much makes out Protoman to be one of Wily's creations. So we're following the Ruby-Spears canon then? I'll let this slide as long as Pharaohman appears and decks Megaman square in the teeth.

[Image: 14c4ecf1a0dc8d377dc4bf39ae068249.png]

Protoman decides to screw off, prompting Wily to build a new robot as a replacement. It's worth mentioning that the writer wields the English language as well as one of my reviews on Newgrounds from when I was six. Thankfully, unlike those, it's at least somewhat comprehensible. Sort of.

[Image: 47e14c37f032947b2165c82a8414bf51.png]

So, I bet you're probably wondering what Wily's newest creation looks like. Is it gonna be a big, scary, armored robo-demon? Is it gonna be a Mega Man Killer rip-off? Well, if you guessed either of those, then you're setting your expectations inhumanly high. Instead, we get... THIS.

[Image: b141f88f6d4b721b01c5c97d7ed8f60b.png]

Yeah, "Original the Character" doesn't even begin to describe 80's ski fashion Geminiman here. From the """design""" to the weird name, Veteran Z reminds me of something I would have came up with when I was six drawing in a sketchbook, except somehow less original. After introducing this fearsome foe, the text instantly jumps to "and then the world fell into chaos once again!". It's a jarring jump in the writing, but considering if the entire world saw what Veteran Z looked like, I imagine mass rioting would probably break out out of offense to their eyes.

[Image: 8b3d4ee6b8e1ef05c8aef2198faa50e2.png]

And with that, we are greeted by a lovely title screen. The amount of artistic passion that went into making it must've been absolutely staggering. It's worth mentioning that this game's entire OST is just Kevin Phetsomphou music. It makes this experience a little more tolerable, even if it's his earlier works that just sound like rip-offs of tunes from the classic series.

[Image: a0a9c56168b5e5d415ada682296c8467.png]

After pressing start, we're greeted by this rogues' gallery of freakazoids. Following in Veteran Z's footsteps, all of the mugshots seen here are blatant edits of existing Robot Masters. While I do think some of the concepts presented could be actually kind of cool in the hands of someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing (Yeti Man and Billiard Man especially, for me at least), here, they're about as poorly executed as you could imagine. Probably even worse than you could imagine, to be brutally honest. Since I could give -500,000 rat's asses about playing the game with the intended weakness cycle, we'll just start with Billiard Man.

(also yes I do see what's wrong with Nuclear Man's text you don't need to point it out)

[Image: 7c670698c045114a7eabb7211d0a1582.png]

The stage intro screen's starfield runs at a suspiciously low framerate. I suspect it's probably just an animation instead of there being individual star objects. That's kind of sad, because even stupid 12 year old me using Game Maker knew how to do that.

[Image: d66c54a9127f3f3cc0c99034eaf203f6.png]

Let's not beat around the bush. Billiard Man's stage looks fucking UGLY. The enemies aren't much better either. Instead of shoving in clever references to pool or use generic robots, they're just a bunch of multi-colored
"pool balls" that do slightly different things depending on what color/number they are. Also, the game runs on Blyka's Skullman engine. So that's lovely. I like rigid jumping and bad animation offsets. But, that all pales in comparison to the best part of this entire game. So, what's this true, momentous accomplishment of programming ever to grace the Mega Man fangame community ever?

YOU CAN'T PAUSE THE GAME.

So if you wonder why there aren't many screenshots, well, there you go. It's not really worth it anyways considering a good chunk of the levels use the same 4 tiles in them and just look the same on multiple screenshots. I'll only be showing off the more """"noteworthy"""" moments in this anyways. But, just for this special occasion, I took another screencap. Merry Christmas.

[Image: 7707afad9007feed234d94d9c151d502.png]

Halfway through the level, we encounter a bizarre MSPaint pool stick... thing. It's a really broken and unfair fight because when it goes to respawn the pool balls it attacks you with, they appear in totally random locations. So that's nice. Oh, and the minibosses in this game can still be damaged even when they're going through their death animations, which annoys me on both a mental and spiritual level.

[Image: 1965ed529d584356bf903fb9d93cf5a6.png]

After murdering Cheapy McPoolstick (as he will now be officially referred to as), we encounter this clunky, broken and annoying gimmick segment.

[Image: 257dda9e731a0b78665960ea67d22bbf.png]

In a nutshell, the ball teleports through the """holes""" seen above. Imagine Portal, but really shit. It's kind of a clever-ish-kind-of-not-really thing, but it's executed so badly it's an absolute ballache to get through. The jump placed on the right is also neigh-impossible to do since you fall through the hole, making you have to do a pixel-perfect leap with the controls of the Skullman engine, where it doesn't work half of the bloody time, so that's lovely. Just to rub salt into this gaping, festering wound, the ball does a really horrifingly high amount of contact damage.

[Image: d63f294e1612dabefcb1b4a268ba4123.png]

And as if this game wasn't enough of a fun-sponge already, here's some Yoku Blocks! Hooray! It's not even much of a challenge. It exists solely just to waste your precious time.

[Image: 0fff960cc22195c86f385e80934f23f2.png]

As you can see above, you can actually stand in the boss gate while the boss is still going and keep it raised. This isn't very important, but I thought it was stupid.

[Image: 78d4df69146ba48e3aaf810aca808307.png]

Billiard Man is like a mix between Crystal Man (obviously) and Star Man. He makes a shield of balls (hehehehehehe) around him when he jumps, and he spreads them out when he attacks. It's annoying and really hard to dodge, since Billiard Man's hitboxes are really off and he likes to stand right next to you.

[Image: 717ae767ff3cb85e620468000f2e0e81.png]

I'm not going to be using weapons that much, but here's the Weapon Get screen for those who really care.

Next on our journey of mass retardation destruction, we have Yeti Man, who

[Image: a328d943a709d477fc7ca54c320e3ecc.png]

JESUS H. MORTIMER CHRIST THE 3RD ESQUIRE.

[Image: 63a7df55056f1bbd79d9199204a6869a.png]

Anyways, FrosToad Man's stage has an omnipresent gimmick involving snowfall that pushes you back. This would be all fine and dandy if it didn't stop every now and then and look stupid.

[Image: f2dc044302c10c286eaa18d164c1ca24.png]

Every now and then, you encounter Turboman Snowball throwing robots. They're nothing special, they're just Sniper Joes without shields or creativity.

[Image: 4f9455207f6a47f827d6bd35292fda36.png]

After walking along a straight line and shooting at more Turbo SnowJoes™, we come across one of the most hilarious/appauling parts of this game (which is saying a lot). You see, the Skullman engine was never programmed with ladders in mind. So what did our brave developer do to fix this?

Absolutely. Nothing.

[Image: 27231a5a8fdd0277ca5f565e704e74a3.png]

Yes, really. Instead of climbing the ladders, you just jump up onto where they are and the screen moves just up (through the magic of Game Maker transitions, might I add).

[Image: 806c7d809b80c8232987a77e4e9219af.png]

I just took a picture of this room because it looks like crap.

[Image: 74e6cefae7f01063131427622e4670cb.png]

Suddenly, Mega encounters those stupid timed bomb things... except instead of damaging him when they explode, he passes through them unharmed. To be fair, if that came into play here it'd be immensely unfair, but it's still stupid.

[Image: fa8af1334db585e1c440b595b00a4960.png]

Mega Man 4 Wily Boss 1 here just shoots 2 ice cubes forwards and in an arc from its different holes (hehehehe). It's nothing special, but it does this at random intervals, making it unfair.

[Image: df7b761561196592212f519c37ba8755.png]

If you hadn't noticed it in the previous screenshots, the snowfall actually disappears for some reason mid-way through the stage. Thankfully, it returns here to grace us with its inexcusably bad programming. It's around here that I begin to notice how badly programmed Mega Man's hitboxes are here as well, as I find myself getting stuck in platforms by simply jumping into them.

[Image: 0bb58275759582336c7dc86bbbe82d3a.png]

Yeti Man's fight is so easy that an actual Yeti would feel intellectually insulted by it. He runs to one side, shoots a small shot, and then does the same thing on the other side. He makes a snow storm pop up every now and then, but dealing with it is absolutely trivial.

However, the single best part about Yeti Man, aside from the hilarious spritework, is his equally hilarious opening animation. I didn't directly record it from the game, but it looks pretty much exactly like you see below.
[Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif]

Next on the chopping block is Steel Man. I won't bother commenting on his sprite because it pretty much speaks volumes by itself.

[Image: 00b67667765970ad1ab9d00d0d4fd604.png]

What I WILL comment on is his stage's tileset.

[Image: 45b16168c6bf01c1cfbca7864cbd49bc.png]

Word of advice for budding fangame developers: Color contrast is always a good idea. That way, you can tell the difference between backgrounds and platforms. It also helps it not look entirely shit like this. Another word of advice: NEVER USE QUICKMAN LASERS EVER.

[Image: fb7ce6e13dcba1054b7e9ec27be6ffd4.png]

Throughout the levels, you encounter these turret enemies that I don't really recognize. Not that I really care, though, since they're immensely easy to dispatch of. Also pictured: more tile bullfuckery.

[Image: e0a9ebe4741304b58662e7b6c37b8c27.png]

But, worst of all, through a feat only obtainable through bad programming mixed with bad level design, I managed to get stuck where the 1UP is. Great.

[Image: 9f03ad1bd266657383500cc35d6dd372.gif]

Later, after some more buggy and obnoxious Quick Beam dodging, I came across a Flamethrower Joe.

[Image: d6c11180669848f995abda8b66734c11.png]

I told him that his weapon was kind of cool and he accepted the compliment. We got along nicely, until I remembered I had to murder him to progress. It's a shame really, because he's the only one in this entire game of his kind, and now he's dead. Such is life.

[Image: ce736e471d6bff8997846f56f0f15407.png]

For some abstract reason that is still in research by the FBI, there are breakable walls here that lead to absolutely nothing. Joy.

After some fumbling around and getting game over'd a lot because of some particuarly cruel Quick Beam placements...
[Image: 3b8ab1ce7fd03c23312a83a8615cb5db.png]
... I decided to muck around with the weapons to cure my boredom. You see, pressing the number keys swaps weapons, since there's no pause button. This was a bad idea because I hit the R key and undid all of the progress I had made.

Yes, in this game, pressing R restarts the ENTIRE game. All of your progress is lost, and there are no saves/passwords.

That's when I gave up forever. Good night.
[/spoiler]

Wow, this makes Mega Man 42 look like gold
Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo
(09-06-2016, 09:52 PM)Smedis2 Wrote: Yes, I'm aware that constructive criticism is the name of the game here, but allow me to say this.

Mega Man Z is the worst thing in the history of anything ever. Now, I'm going to go in-depth as to why because I have nothing better to do with my time.

[spoiler=WARNING: This is really long. It's pretty much a Let's Play of this monstrosity.]

The moment this game is booted, we're greeted with this animation of an NES cartridge fading out, apparently trying to represent this "game" being inserted into an NES. It looks like total arse and the graphics are squashed and ugly. Let this set the tone for what's to come.

[Image: 5c9a93c29799770cba429abe274e5d9c.png]

Almost immediately after, we're told to press start to begin the game for literally no reason whatsoever. I especially like the giant, flashing System font used in this image. It really just perfectly exemplifies why this game is such a load of old rubbish masterpiece of human achievement.

[Image: d12128a8d7a12db3a76cd91024a3b13d.png]

Once we press start, the proper intro begins, and OH LORD is it a doozy. The first frame does so many things wrong in such a short amount of time that it makes me want to jump into a pit of scalding water to cleanse myself after witnessing it. The background, despite being lifted from Mega Man 9 (a game that runs at the native NES resolution), has been stretched for reasons mankind has yet to comprehend. Not to mention the text is badly plastered on. Dear Author: If you want us to believe this is supposed to be like an NES game, then you're doing as great of a job as making an experience on the same level of authenticity as this.

[Image: 5cb954bd0ea8da14a25b710f3139dae9.png]

While I'm no stranger to writing stupid plots myself, the story presented in Mega Man Z is... oh dear. The text explains that Wily is blaming Protoman for his failures, and it pretty much makes out Protoman to be one of Wily's creations. So we're following the Ruby-Spears canon then? I'll let this slide as long as Pharaohman appears and decks Megaman square in the teeth.

[Image: 14c4ecf1a0dc8d377dc4bf39ae068249.png]

Protoman decides to screw off, prompting Wily to build a new robot as a replacement. It's worth mentioning that the writer wields the English language as well as one of my reviews on Newgrounds from when I was six. Thankfully, unlike those, it's at least somewhat comprehensible. Sort of.

[Image: 47e14c37f032947b2165c82a8414bf51.png]

So, I bet you're probably wondering what Wily's newest creation looks like. Is it gonna be a big, scary, armored robo-demon? Is it gonna be a Mega Man Killer rip-off? Well, if you guessed either of those, then you're setting your expectations inhumanly high. Instead, we get... THIS.

[Image: b141f88f6d4b721b01c5c97d7ed8f60b.png]

Yeah, "Original the Character" doesn't even begin to describe 80's ski fashion Geminiman here. From the """design""" to the weird name, Veteran Z reminds me of something I would have came up with when I was six drawing in a sketchbook, except somehow less original. After introducing this fearsome foe, the text instantly jumps to "and then the world fell into chaos once again!". It's a jarring jump in the writing, but considering if the entire world saw what Veteran Z looked like, I imagine mass rioting would probably break out out of offense to their eyes.

[Image: 8b3d4ee6b8e1ef05c8aef2198faa50e2.png]

And with that, we are greeted by a lovely title screen. The amount of artistic passion that went into making it must've been absolutely staggering. It's worth mentioning that this game's entire OST is just Kevin Phetsomphou music. It makes this experience a little more tolerable, even if it's his earlier works that just sound like rip-offs of tunes from the classic series.

[Image: a0a9c56168b5e5d415ada682296c8467.png]

After pressing start, we're greeted by this rogues' gallery of freakazoids. Following in Veteran Z's footsteps, all of the mugshots seen here are blatant edits of existing Robot Masters. While I do think some of the concepts presented could be actually kind of cool in the hands of someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing (Yeti Man and Billiard Man especially, for me at least), here, they're about as poorly executed as you could imagine. Probably even worse than you could imagine, to be brutally honest. Since I could give -500,000 rat's asses about playing the game with the intended weakness cycle, we'll just start with Billiard Man.

(also yes I do see what's wrong with Nuclear Man's text you don't need to point it out)

[Image: 7c670698c045114a7eabb7211d0a1582.png]

The stage intro screen's starfield runs at a suspiciously low framerate. I suspect it's probably just an animation instead of there being individual star objects. That's kind of sad, because even stupid 12 year old me using Game Maker knew how to do that.

[Image: d66c54a9127f3f3cc0c99034eaf203f6.png]

Let's not beat around the bush. Billiard Man's stage looks fucking UGLY. The enemies aren't much better either. Instead of shoving in clever references to pool or use generic robots, they're just a bunch of multi-colored
"pool balls" that do slightly different things depending on what color/number they are. Also, the game runs on Blyka's Skullman engine. So that's lovely. I like rigid jumping and bad animation offsets. But, that all pales in comparison to the best part of this entire game. So, what's this true, momentous accomplishment of programming ever to grace the Mega Man fangame community ever?

YOU CAN'T PAUSE THE GAME.

So if you wonder why there aren't many screenshots, well, there you go. It's not really worth it anyways considering a good chunk of the levels use the same 4 tiles in them and just look the same on multiple screenshots. I'll only be showing off the more """"noteworthy"""" moments in this anyways. But, just for this special occasion, I took another screencap. Merry Christmas.

[Image: 7707afad9007feed234d94d9c151d502.png]

Halfway through the level, we encounter a bizarre MSPaint pool stick... thing. It's a really broken and unfair fight because when it goes to respawn the pool balls it attacks you with, they appear in totally random locations. So that's nice. Oh, and the minibosses in this game can still be damaged even when they're going through their death animations, which annoys me on both a mental and spiritual level.

[Image: 1965ed529d584356bf903fb9d93cf5a6.png]

After murdering Cheapy McPoolstick (as he will now be officially referred to as), we encounter this clunky, broken and annoying gimmick segment.

[Image: 257dda9e731a0b78665960ea67d22bbf.png]

In a nutshell, the ball teleports through the """holes""" seen above. Imagine Portal, but really shit. It's kind of a clever-ish-kind-of-not-really thing, but it's executed so badly it's an absolute ballache to get through. The jump placed on the right is also neigh-impossible to do since you fall through the hole, making you have to do a pixel-perfect leap with the controls of the Skullman engine, where it doesn't work half of the bloody time, so that's lovely. Just to rub salt into this gaping, festering wound, the ball does a really horrifingly high amount of contact damage.

[Image: d63f294e1612dabefcb1b4a268ba4123.png]

And as if this game wasn't enough of a fun-sponge already, here's some Yoku Blocks! Hooray! It's not even much of a challenge. It exists solely just to waste your precious time.

[Image: 0fff960cc22195c86f385e80934f23f2.png]

As you can see above, you can actually stand in the boss gate while the boss is still going and keep it raised. This isn't very important, but I thought it was stupid.

[Image: 78d4df69146ba48e3aaf810aca808307.png]

Billiard Man is like a mix between Crystal Man (obviously) and Star Man. He makes a shield of balls (hehehehehehe) around him when he jumps, and he spreads them out when he attacks. It's annoying and really hard to dodge, since Billiard Man's hitboxes are really off and he likes to stand right next to you.

[Image: 717ae767ff3cb85e620468000f2e0e81.png]

I'm not going to be using weapons that much, but here's the Weapon Get screen for those who really care.

Next on our journey of mass retardation destruction, we have Yeti Man, who

[Image: a328d943a709d477fc7ca54c320e3ecc.png]

JESUS H. MORTIMER CHRIST THE 3RD ESQUIRE.

[Image: 63a7df55056f1bbd79d9199204a6869a.png]

Anyways, FrosToad Man's stage has an omnipresent gimmick involving snowfall that pushes you back. This would be all fine and dandy if it didn't stop every now and then and look stupid.

[Image: f2dc044302c10c286eaa18d164c1ca24.png]

Every now and then, you encounter Turboman Snowball throwing robots. They're nothing special, they're just Sniper Joes without shields or creativity.

[Image: 4f9455207f6a47f827d6bd35292fda36.png]

After walking along a straight line and shooting at more Turbo SnowJoes™, we come across one of the most hilarious/appauling parts of this game (which is saying a lot). You see, the Skullman engine was never programmed with ladders in mind. So what did our brave developer do to fix this?

Absolutely. Nothing.

[Image: 27231a5a8fdd0277ca5f565e704e74a3.png]

Yes, really. Instead of climbing the ladders, you just jump up onto where they are and the screen moves just up (through the magic of Game Maker transitions, might I add).

[Image: 806c7d809b80c8232987a77e4e9219af.png]

I just took a picture of this room because it looks like crap.

[Image: 74e6cefae7f01063131427622e4670cb.png]

Suddenly, Mega encounters those stupid timed bomb things... except instead of damaging him when they explode, he passes through them unharmed. To be fair, if that came into play here it'd be immensely unfair, but it's still stupid.

[Image: fa8af1334db585e1c440b595b00a4960.png]

Mega Man 4 Wily Boss 1 here just shoots 2 ice cubes forwards and in an arc from its different holes (hehehehe). It's nothing special, but it does this at random intervals, making it unfair.

[Image: df7b761561196592212f519c37ba8755.png]

If you hadn't noticed it in the previous screenshots, the snowfall actually disappears for some reason mid-way through the stage. Thankfully, it returns here to grace us with its inexcusably bad programming. It's around here that I begin to notice how badly programmed Mega Man's hitboxes are here as well, as I find myself getting stuck in platforms by simply jumping into them.

[Image: 0bb58275759582336c7dc86bbbe82d3a.png]

Yeti Man's fight is so easy that an actual Yeti would feel intellectually insulted by it. He runs to one side, shoots a small shot, and then does the same thing on the other side. He makes a snow storm pop up every now and then, but dealing with it is absolutely trivial.

However, the single best part about Yeti Man, aside from the hilarious spritework, is his equally hilarious opening animation. I didn't directly record it from the game, but it looks pretty much exactly like you see below.
[Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif][Image: 1cc04805d107de06a4b6a0c46fb32be6.gif]

Next on the chopping block is Steel Man. I won't bother commenting on his sprite because it pretty much speaks volumes by itself.

[Image: 00b67667765970ad1ab9d00d0d4fd604.png]

What I WILL comment on is his stage's tileset.

[Image: 45b16168c6bf01c1cfbca7864cbd49bc.png]

Word of advice for budding fangame developers: Color contrast is always a good idea. That way, you can tell the difference between backgrounds and platforms. It also helps it not look entirely shit like this. Another word of advice: NEVER USE QUICKMAN LASERS EVER.

[Image: fb7ce6e13dcba1054b7e9ec27be6ffd4.png]

Throughout the levels, you encounter these turret enemies that I don't really recognize. Not that I really care, though, since they're immensely easy to dispatch of. Also pictured: more tile bullfuckery.

[Image: e0a9ebe4741304b58662e7b6c37b8c27.png]

But, worst of all, through a feat only obtainable through bad programming mixed with bad level design, I managed to get stuck where the 1UP is. Great.

[Image: 9f03ad1bd266657383500cc35d6dd372.gif]

Later, after some more buggy and obnoxious Quick Beam dodging, I came across a Flamethrower Joe.

[Image: d6c11180669848f995abda8b66734c11.png]

I told him that his weapon was kind of cool and he accepted the compliment. We got along nicely, until I remembered I had to murder him to progress. It's a shame really, because he's the only one in this entire game of his kind, and now he's dead. Such is life.

[Image: ce736e471d6bff8997846f56f0f15407.png]

For some abstract reason that is still in research by the FBI, there are breakable walls here that lead to absolutely nothing. Joy.

After some fumbling around and getting game over'd a lot because of some particuarly cruel Quick Beam placements...
[Image: 3b8ab1ce7fd03c23312a83a8615cb5db.png]
... I decided to muck around with the weapons to cure my boredom. You see, pressing the number keys swaps weapons, since there's no pause button. This was a bad idea because I hit the R key and undid all of the progress I had made.

Yes, in this game, pressing R restarts the ENTIRE game. All of your progress is lost, and there are no saves/passwords.

That's when I gave up forever. Good night.
[/spoiler]

Wow. Holy ****.
(09-06-2016, 08:54 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 03:56 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote: Say,how about Perfect Harmony?

As far as Perfect Harmony is concerned, it suffers from a lot of the same faults that TDK did:

- Weak boss patterns
- Lack of weapons
- Lack of overall polish
- Overpowered superbosses

Everyone said that it wanted to be it's own IP and it did become that. It's hard for me to say that TDK was completely terrible, because I don't think it was. It just needed some major work and polish in order to have been a really interesting title.

I guess I have quite a bit to talk about. First of all, I loved Perfect Harmony and have streamed a lot of videos from it on my channel. I became good friends with the dev and my friends and I provided him pointers. With his next game, I think we started to see a bit of psychosis and there's no real need to go there. A friend and programmer posted the notorious "Drak" review on Steam, which of course I was blamed for as the gentleman was looking for every possible scapegoat to cover up the fact that he literally rushed through the development process, which you'll notice if you open the files for the new game and look at the graphics images. I really do wish him the best of luck on a future title in this series, but all the hassle, threats and downright insanity was uncalled for.
I liked the fusion elements in Perfect Harmony quite a bit, but the game was not completely finished and I don't feel it can be judged in a simple demo state. However, I do like the fact that many of the robot masters are playable and performed as they would if you'd fought them. Before the debacle, we had actually been discussing more of these games, since this one was mostly air-themed. He was planning on a fire, water and earth based game for each of the sequels, as well as a game like Mega Man Last Battle, where all the robot masters were playable Smash style. this later got incorporated into TDK.

PH to me still had a lot of potential. It was a Mega Man title that didn't quite play like a normal Mega Man title. It's just unfortunate that the game (literally) molded from it was a nightmare of sorts. I almost kind of wish that TDK never happened and that these Mega Man style games (he'd been working on an IP robot with a similar design to Mega Man) would have continued. If there's anything Metagal has shown us, it is that you can make a literal Mega Man style game with an IP character and make money from it. The developer took an alternative path, which resulted in the destruction of a very unique IP. PH was just a prototype for that.

I could get into the personal reasons behind many of these things, but here is just not the place. My only qualm is that the developer overcharged for the unpolished piece on steam after originally asking for a $15,000 price point. I believe I had to talk him down to the established $1800. Also, there were innumerable delays for about four years. He absolutely refused to get help with the project and felt that he could do everything by himself. Additionally, DRM-Free copies of the title were promised to backers, but were never delivered.

I will not respond to anything discussed in the spoiler tags on this topic, in order to keep on topic. Please take any inquiries to me via PM.

Ok then.....Rockbot
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
(09-06-2016, 10:47 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote:

As far as Perfect Harmony is concerned, it suffers from a lot of the same faults that TDK did:

- Weak boss patterns
- Lack of weapons
- Lack of overall polish

Everyone said that it wanted to be it's own IP and it did become that. It's hard for me to say that TDK was completely terrible, because I don't think it was. It just needed some major work and polish in order to have been a really interesting title.

I guess I have quite a bit to talk about. First of all, I loved Perfect Harmony and have streamed a lot of videos from it on my channel. I became good friends with the dev and my friends and I provided him pointers. With his next game, I think we started to see a bit of psychosis and there's no real need to go there. A friend and programmer posted the notorious "Drak" review on Steam, which of course I was blamed for as the gentleman was looking for every possible scapegoat to cover up the fact that he literally rushed through the development process, which you'll notice if you open the files for the new game and look at the graphics images. I really do wish him the best of luck on a future title in this series, but all the hassle, threats and downright insanity was uncalled for.
I liked the fusion elements in Perfect Harmony quite a bit, but the game was not completely finished and I don't feel it can be judged in a simple demo state. However, I do like the fact that many of the robot masters are playable and performed as they would if you'd fought them. Before the debacle, we had actually been discussing more of these games, since this one was mostly air-themed. He was planning on a fire, water and earth based game for each of the sequels, as well as a game like Mega Man Last Battle, where all the robot masters were playable Smash style. this later got incorporated into TDK.

PH to me still had a lot of potential. It was a Mega Man title that didn't quite play like a normal Mega Man title. It's just unfortunate that the game (literally) molded from it was a nightmare of sorts. I almost kind of wish that TDK never happened and that these Mega Man style games (he'd been working on an IP robot with a similar design to Mega Man) would have continued. If there's anything Metagal has shown us, it is that you can make a literal Mega Man style game with an IP character and make money from it. The developer took an alternative path, which resulted in the destruction of a very unique IP. PH was just a prototype for that.

I could get into the personal reasons behind many of these things, but here is just not the place. My only qualm is that the developer overcharged for the unpolished piece on steam after originally asking for a $15,000 price point. I believe I had to talk him down to the established $1800. Also, there were innumerable delays for about four years. He absolutely refused to get help with the project and felt that he could do everything by himself. Additionally, DRM-Free copies of the title were promised to backers, but were never delivered.

I will not respond to anything discussed in the spoiler tags on this topic, in order to keep on topic. Please take any inquiries to me via PM.

Ok then.....Rockbot

Nope, I'm not him. That's an insult. We haven't heard from or seen Rock in a few months after the last review. Do you remember Cleo? Wink
(09-06-2016, 10:50 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:

- Weak boss patterns
- Lack of weapons
- Lack of overall polish

Ok then.....Rockbot

Nope, I'm not him. That's an insult. We haven't heard from or seen Rock in a few months after the last review. Do you remember Cleo? Wink

I was kinda refrring to the game Rockbot
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
(09-06-2016, 10:53 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote:

- Weak boss patterns
- Lack of weapons
- Lack of overall polish

Ok then.....Rockbot

Sorry, carry on.

Yeah, Rockbot - DOS I believe? Oh, the humanity. Rockbot single handedly describes practically everything that one SHOULD NOT do in a Mega Man type game. That wheel was also offensive. Lol. I never played it long, because I just kept on dying. I don't even think it had continues.

What about GigaDeep?
(09-06-2016, 10:58 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 08:54 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: As far as Perfect Harmony is concerned, it suffers from a lot of the same faults that TDK did:

- Weak boss patterns
- Lack of weapons
- Lack of overall polish

Ok then.....Rockbot

Sorry, carry on.

Yeah, Rockbot - DOS I believe? Oh, the humanity. Rockbot single handedly describes practically everything that one SHOULD NOT do in a Mega Man type game. That wheel was also offensive. Lol. I never played it long, because I just kept on dying. I don't even think it had continues.

What about GigaDeep?

No not the DOS game, this: http://rockbot.upperland.net/

Also, what's GigaDeep?
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
(09-06-2016, 11:04 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 10:47 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote: Ok then.....Rockbot

Sorry, carry on.

What about GigaDeep?

Also, what's GigaDeep?

Cool, I never played. Since you told me about this, I'll give you a link to Giga. Hopefully it works. http://www.gamezone.com/downloads/gigadeep

Alright, then try this. http://www.peposoft.com/
(09-06-2016, 11:09 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 11:04 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote:

Sorry, carry on.

What about GigaDeep?

Also, what's GigaDeep?

Cool, I never played. Since you told me about this, I'll give you a link to Giga. Hopefully it works. http://www.gamezone.com/downloads/gigadeep

Alright, then try this. http://www.peposoft.com/

ThanksBig Grin
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
NP. Doctor stages are very difficult.
I admit I like Unlimited. My opinion on it has dwindled over time, but I still enjoy it a lot. It has a lot of extra content too, which is mainly what keeps me coming back (although I cannot deny the frustration of a first playthrough.)

But the worst of the worst I've played is:

Mega Man: Project Zero

The very absolute worst of the worst, imo. Fails in almost every aspect. Poorly remixed MIDIS, HORRIBLE weapons (they make MM10's set look amazing), level design that is simultaneously boring AND frustrating, incredibly stale enemy variety, embarassing story, and a broken screen scrolling mechanic that makes respawning enemies so damn easy, it could remind one of the infamous corridor climb in Sigma Stage 1 from MMX. But the most unforgivable part is a glitch involving an E-tank; using an e -tank when below half health causes the game to crash. Every single time, without fail. I can't possibly put into words how stupid that is. An item intended to be used when Rock is about to knock on Death's door can only be used when he doesn't need it. It's the most incompetent thing I've ever seen in a fangame.

Mega Man Origins

All of the problems from Project Zero carry on to this game. Except the e-tank glitch. Because of that, I put it above that game. Barely. It still has other problems though, such as the levels feeling emptier, and the bosses being so piss-easy that it goes beyond being hilarious and becomes downright insulting.

Mega Man Rocks

Ok, so I never actually beat this one. But truth be told, I don't think that's necessary to see its flaws.
The music is highly forgettable, levels are too bland (and some are way too long), and the weapons are mostly ass. There is also a completely gratuitous political jab in the ending for literally no reason whatsoever.
And to top of this mess, the games controls are unconfigurable. And the controls that you are given suck badly.
You were expecting something witty down here? Scroll your eyes back up there!

Bloody amateurs...
(10-06-2016, 01:10 AM)Mr. G-Force Wrote: The music is highly forgettable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b7igThkXk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-whiqcdA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_CWemixR4

You see, this is where you are wrong. Rocks' Boss theme will be one of my personal favourite RM boss themes for a long time, despite the unideal mixing.

(10-06-2016, 01:10 AM)Mr. G-Force Wrote: the weapons are mostly ass.

Snow Man's weapon isn't too bad, and Hit Man's weapon is the ultimate "press fire to kill anything you want" weapon. Then again, on the other hand, Repair Man's weapon.

The rest of your points are entirely valid, however.
I tend to remember a fierce moment of frustration in Project Zero. I can't quite recall what it was, but it had something to do with platforming, springs and spikes, or possibly gravity wells. It was enough to make me put the game down completely.

I never thought MMR was that bad, but we did get some rather boring boss fights in the Wily stages. It crashed and I've never picked it back up.

Edit: I did like the soundtrack a bit as well.

Slight Question: You mentioned the Sigma climb from X1 being notorious. Do you mean as in it was difficult? I always found that the easiest part of that stage.
How about Super Mega Man 3
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
The Sigma 1 tower climb (I'm assuming the one just prior to the Boomer Kuwanger refight is the one in question) can indeed be a monumental pain in the ass if you're not just Chameleon-invincibling your way through it--the Hoganmers in particular are more or less positioned to interfere with your ability to walljump to the next platform to progress, and the usual strategy of "fake them out and shoot while their shields aren't up is interrupted constantly by all the perpetually-respawning Jammingers.

It's not impossible, of course, to clear this tower without going invincible and just bum-rushing to get to the top before weapon energy runs out, but it's pretty damned hard from my experiences. I think in all my uncounted plays of X1 I've only ever been able to do it twice, and both of those times I had only a few units of health left--with a boss refight just ahead.

Thankfully Boomer's easy to kill with his weakness, but running into him during his random teleporting still happens frequently.

The tower segment isn't outlandishly difficult or anywhere near impossible, and many methods of overcoming it exist--but it has the potential to be a right pain in the ass, and a pretty big jump of one compared to a lot of the game that came before it. I can't recall many instances prior to that segment in X1 that were as difficult; in fact, the floating platforms just at the entrance area of Sigma 1, and the small tower segment just before Rangda Bangda in Sigma 2 are the only places with a similar amount of enemy-placement-completely-fucking-up-the-platforming difficulty I can actively think of--and the latter can only really become annoying if the previous parts of the level got your health low for any given reason. I can't recall anything in any other stage in X1 that ever gave me the trouble that Sigma 1 tower climb did.

Obviously this is only my side of things and I make no claims to be any kind of expert--but that being said, I have played X1 a lot, to the point of being one of my most-replayed games ever. I can only think of four or five games at most I've played more than X1.

Again, though, I'm not saying I'm an authority on the subject--just that I've done my share of playing and replaying and trying different ways to get around the game and found this trick or that method to do so, and then some.
Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
(10-06-2016, 08:04 AM)Lamda Wrote: The Sigma 1 tower climb (I'm assuming the one just prior to the Boomer Kuwanger refight is the one in question) can indeed be a monumental pain in the ass if you're not just Chameleon-invincibling your way through it--the Hoganmers in particular are more or less positioned to interfere with your ability to walljump to the next platform to progress, and the usual strategy of "fake them out and shoot while their shields aren't up is interrupted constantly by all the perpetually-respawning Jammingers.

It's not impossible, of course, to clear this tower without going invincible and just bum-rushing to get to the top before weapon energy runs out, but it's pretty damned hard from my experiences. I think in all my uncounted plays of X1 I've only ever been able to do it twice, and both of those times I had only a few units of health left--with a boss refight just ahead.

Thankfully Boomer's easy to kill with his weakness, but running into him during his random teleporting still happens frequently.

The tower segment isn't outlandishly difficult or anywhere near impossible, and many methods of overcoming it exist--but it has the potential to be a right pain in the ass, and a pretty big jump of one compared to a lot of the game that came before it. I can't recall many instances prior to that segment in X1 that were as difficult; in fact, the floating platforms just at the entrance area of Sigma 1, and the small tower segment just before Rangda Bangda in Sigma 2 are the only places with a similar amount of enemy-placement-completely-fucking-up-the-platforming difficulty I can actively think of--and the latter can only really become annoying if the previous parts of the level got your health low for any given reason. I can't recall anything in any other stage in X1 that ever gave me the trouble that Sigma 1 tower climb did.

Obviously this is only my side of things and I make no claims to be any kind of expert--but that being said, I have played X1 a lot, to the point of being one of my most-replayed games ever. I can only think of four or five games at most I've played more than X1.

Again, though, I'm not saying I'm an authority on the subject--just that I've done my share of playing and replaying and trying different ways to get around the game and found this trick or that method to do so, and then some.

Oh, wow. I had no idea it was that difficult. First thing I would do is just use the enemies to fill up all my tanks, then I just sort of got up there unscathed. Rarely was I ever hit, and I never needed to use the chameleon shield invincibility for it. I didn't even know that people found it so frustrating. This is all news to me.

Oh, you mean Sigma stage 1 with the floating platforms. That part can be a bit of a pain, but I actually found a shortcut method to make the trip easier. I can't quite remember it off the top of my head (it's muscle memory these days) but I know that I haven't had much trouble with it once I discovered this method. You can also use the side of the floating island, which is a bit trickier, even though it can be done.

The hardest part of any X title for me is getting the chest armor in Bubble Crab's stage. Or anything having to do with the first couple of stages in Gate's Laboratory X6.

I'm still kind of confused. This is after you face Vile? I don't recall any real issues there, other than the **** boss.
A thing you guys forgot to mention was that the robot masters in Origins are edits of robot masters in the commercial games
Licensed Game=Cash In

-Linzo
(10-06-2016, 07:15 AM)Linzodakatz Wrote: How about Super Mega Man 3

Oh god don't remind me....
-EDIT:
-Levels were o.k
-The weapons were meh
-Protoman plays like Megaman with NO DIFFENCES
-The story was bad fanfic levels of awful (I can handle storys that make no sense,I.E SuperDanny, But this is really pushing it)
-Inverted Protoman(or "Otto") was a bland villain
-Even if you play as Protoman he still dies before the final boss and you switch to megaman, meaning playing as protoman is worthless
-Inverted Protoman becomes a inverted ZX, not an 8-bit sprite, THE ORIGNAL SPRITE JUST INVERTED
-The fact that Protoman,Bass(who fuses with Megaman in the final boss)AND wily are dead at the end, meaning X-Legends can't happen
-This game sucks

Sorry for the rant. Just needed to get this off my chest.EDIT: This was my first thoughs on the games. Sorry if I seem to mean to this game.
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
I took a look at the mirror gimmick in Super Mega Man 3 on Youtube. It was pretty cool, and those mirror sections seemed well designed and fun. And just looking at the other stages it doesn't seem too bad of a fangame level-design wise. Though some of the game's graphics from what I've seen were terriblad.
Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...