Oh, No! Where Did We Go Wrong? (In Regards To Mega Man Fan Games)
(10-06-2016, 11:28 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 05:52 PM)Linzodakatz Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 05:49 PM)Thojoewhit Wrote: Captain N megaman's playable too.
And a bunch of OCs.

Now I take back everything I said about Super Megaman 3.
That game was meh, but this?
Tell me there's something worse.
Tell me.

I would but that would ruin the fun of finding out for yourselfTongue

Yes, I've found some. Two in particular that I found pretty godawful.

Let's start with the first, Mega Man: Dr. Wily Runs Off. Don't take it from me, look at this thing. I ran through it last night for about thirty minutes and it was lower than Mega Man 42 by far. Behold, I have such wonders to show you...

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/6mNsSIPxv8o[/video]

Oh I remember that game! It's the one where you use 1-0 buttons to switch weapons. Also Lawnmower Man.
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
Oh... oh my...

A moment of silence for TheFallenAlchemist, who had tragedy strike way before his time...
Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
Now the second, as it got even worse. The number of problems that I have with this game are innumerable. I actually caught myself laughing during points of the playthrough session. This was called Mega Man: Dark Legacy and it's VERY dark.

(10-06-2016, 11:55 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: Now the second, as it got even worse. The number of problems that I have with this game are innumerable. I actually caught myself laughing during points of the playthrough session. This was called Mega Man: Dark Legacy and it's VERY dark.

That's the sequel to dr.wily runs off. Just as bad as the first.
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
But both of these are only minor, as I experienced BY FAR ONE OF THE WORST MEGA MAN GAMES IN EXISTENCE. I couldn't even finish. The word "unplayable" comes to mind and I plan on uploading this horrible mess later tonight after some necessary edits. It has a rather "unique effect" which leads to an experience unlike I've ever had in twenty-five years of playing these titles.
Oh dear. Is it that bad?
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
Prepares a coffin

Also I've seen a glimpse of Dark Legacy on YouTube Before. I immediately clicked away because it looked terriblad (because it was), but I've seen it before.
(10-06-2016, 11:58 PM)Thojoewhit Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 11:55 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: Now the second, as it got even worse. The number of problems that I have with this game are innumerable. I actually caught myself laughing during points of the playthrough session. This was called Mega Man: Dark Legacy and it's VERY dark.

That's the sequel to dr.wily runs off. Just as bad as the first.

It's easy to see why both games were made no more than a year's width apart from each other. After that, I think he made some Zelda II clone. If you'll notice, some of the stages are even reused. The creator pretty much said **** you with some of these challenges, the boss patterns aren't even remotely fair. I managed to beat one and I would consider that a compliment. Steel Man is like a creeper version of Metal Man and has by far one of the most uneasy boss patterns that I've seen. Watch as he kind of follows you are and jumps behind you, like he's willing to pounce on Mega Man and enact some kind of weird fan-fiction fetish. It's just plain rubbish.

(11-06-2016, 12:04 AM)Entity1037 Wrote: Prepares a coffin

Also I've seen a glimpse of Dark Legacy on YouTube Before. I immediately clicked away because it looked terriblad (because it was), but I've seen it before.

Now the important question: Am I actually going to go through and try to finish these titles? Nope. I'd rather have root canal.
I finshed them years ago. Wasn't worth it.
I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman

Rise of the MIDI
Someone should include Midi Man in their joke fangame.
(11-06-2016, 01:52 AM)Entity1037 Wrote: Someone should include Midi Man in their joke fangame.

[Image: 220?cb=20080522003047]
Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
Pffft
>.>
(11-06-2016, 01:08 AM)Garirry Wrote:

Rise of the MIDI

Why didn't they just use te orginal tracks,I have no idea.....
Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo
(10-06-2016, 11:28 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: Yes, I've found some. Two in particular that I found pretty godawful.

Let's start with the first, Mega Man: Dr. Wily Runs Off. Don't take it from me, look at this thing. I ran through it last night for about thirty minutes and it was lower than Mega Man 42 by far. Behold, I have such wonders to show you...

More of a personal gripe then with fangames in particular. Why did megaman 4 start the "jump out of pits" enemy shenanigans that now infest fangames? They aren't really hard to dodge once you know of them, but for a game series that's always been excellent at teaching the player through "safe examples of enemies," it's a very bad addition.

Even megaman 1 did it better with the Bombombomb in bombman's stage. They appear as you get on the screen so the player is aware of them. Your first interaction with Up'n'Downs in dustman's stage is a small pit just after the start of the stage. That effectively takes away a life from the player if they've not played the stage before.

On a note more relevant to the post above. Have you ever considered annotation based stuff like pinkkittyrose's or even shinryuus use of youtube's built in annotations? Being able to see direct reactions to a specific section is probably the best thing for any programmer/designer wishing to improve their games.
(11-06-2016, 03:29 PM)darklord92 Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 11:28 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: Yes, I've found some. Two in particular that I found pretty godawful.

More of a personal gripe then with fangames in particular. Why did megaman 4 start the "jump out of pits" enemy shenanigans that now infest fangames? They aren't really hard to dodge once you know of them, but for a game series that's always been excellent at teaching the player through "safe examples of enemies," it's a very bad addition.

Even megaman 1 did it better with the Bombombomb in bombman's stage. They appear as you get on the screen so the player is aware of them. Your first interaction with Up'n'Downs in dustman's stage is a small pit just after the start of the stage. That effectively takes away a life from the player if they've not played the stage before.

On a note more relevant to the post above. Have you ever considered annotation based stuff like pinkkittyrose's or even shinryuus use of youtube's built in annotations? Being able to see direct reactions to a specific section is probably the best thing for any programmer/designer wishing to improve their games.

Yeah, those up n' down enemies are EEEEVIILLLL!! I mean imagine if your very first experience with a platforming game you ever had was Dust Man's stage. Not a very good way to get the hang of things...

Those bomb things were well designed. Though they're not so much up n' down enemies, more as they are projectiles that spawn from pits.

I really don't like annotation commentary because you can't see them on a phone, and from my experience everyone makes them disappear too quickly so you have to constantly pause the video to read them. If you have caption commentary like that at least make sure to extend to messages for a good amount of time, and do them in a video editor so they're in the video itself and can be seen on a phone.
(11-06-2016, 04:44 PM)Entity1037 Wrote: Those bomb things were well designed. Though they're not so much up n' down enemies, more as they are projectiles that spawn from pits.

The bombs are the only thing similar however that is not just a reskined version. Compared to all the other up n' down style enemies with a very close "trigger" distance from the pits. There lies the issue however. They are combined with the most punishing aspect of megaman, pits. Spikes and pits should be a form of late or mid stage hazard ( In combination with enemies and gimmicks of course, an early level "jump over a two block wide pit" isn't an issue.) Surprisingly the more menacing looking of these hazards, spikes, is the more forgiving. Not counting megaman 1 in which they were both always death.

They are megaman's ultimate "you have failed" mechanic. Hit by an enemy? It's okay it's just health loss. Knocked off a ladder and fall a few screens? It's just a few screens you still have health. Even landing in spikes after a hit from an enemy turns into: Are you awesome enough to make it out with a fraction of a second of I frames left? Pits are "you failed this, away a life goes." Up n' down and it's clones aren't actually the problem. Its creation of an "aggressive pit", actively seeking to kill the player in a single hit with no prior warning, that makes this enemy very frustrating.
(11-06-2016, 03:29 PM)darklord92 Wrote:

I would, but I'm mobile. Most of the videos are uploaded right from my cell.
Thanks for your patience. Here it is, the worst Mega Man Fan Game I've ever seen in twenty-five years. Though it looks good, it's unplayable and just keeps shitting out lives in order to keep you playing. It's the equivalent of being tormented eternally. You can't actually play it, so you just want to die, but the game starts you with five lives and soon you've got nine. I had to cut the video short, because it's not worth your time or mine.

MEGA MAN: THE FINAL CHAPTER

(11-06-2016, 09:32 PM)TheFallenAlchemist Wrote: Thanks for your patience. Here it is, the worst Mega Man Fan Game I've ever seen in twenty-five years. Though it looks good, it's unplayable and just keeps shitting out lives in order to keep you playing. It's the equivalent of being tormented eternally. You can't actually play it, so you just want to die, but the game starts you with five lives and soon you've got nine. I had to cut the video short, because it's not worth your time or mine.
M
MEGA MAN: THE FINAL CHAPTER

Oh look, more recolors

All these recolors just make me want to play Mega Man 42 now...

Will give it point for using the original Mega Man tracks thou
Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo