XP and Vista MS Paint for Windows 7
Rhythm Online
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 70
XP and Vista MS Paint for Windows 7
I've noticed a few people bringing this up in a forum so I figured I would start a separate topic to inform everyone about how to do this. (Maybe getting it pegged to the top if it's found to be helpful?)
How to get Old Paint working in Windows 7

If you have Windows Vista installed along with Windows 7, you can directly run the "mspaint.exe" file present in "%windir%\System32" folder and it'll run the old Paint without any problem.

You can also create a shortcut of this file at Desktop or in the Start Menu so that you can easily access it.

But if you want to completely replace the new Paint in Windows 7 with the old Paint, then you can follow these simple and easy to use steps:

1. Open following folder:
Quote:%windir%\System32

You can open it by typing the path in RUN dialog box and press Enter.

2. Now take ownership of "mspaint.exe" file. To take ownership, please follow this tutorial:

Add Take Ownership Option in File / Folder Context Menu in Windows Vista and 7

3. Now rename the "mspaint.exe" file to "mspaint_backup.exe".

4. Now copy "mspaint.exe" file from Vista and paste it in "%windir%\System32" folder.
[Image: Copying_old_mspaint_exe_in_win_7.png]

5. Now go to "en-US" folder and take ownership of "mspaint.exe.mui" file. After taking ownership rename the file to "mspaint_backup.exe.mui".

6. Now copy "mspaint.exe.mui" file from Vista and paste in "%windir%\System32\en-US" folder.
[Image: Copying_old_mspaint_mui_in_win_7.png]

7. If you are using 64-bit Windows edition, you'll also need to replace both mspaint.exe and mspaint.exe.mui files present in "Windows\sysWOW64" and "Windows\sysWOW64\en-US" folders using the same steps as mentioned above.

That's it. Now Windows 7 will start using the old Paint.
[Image: classic_ms_paint_in_windows_7_by_vishal_...35l2jn.png]

If you want to use the new Paint later, simply delete the new "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files and then rename the backup files to their default names.

NOTE: If you don't have Windows Vista installed, you can download the required "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files from following link:

Download Link

Hope this helps everyone stuck with the weird Ribbons in Windows 7 Paint
Source: AskVG.com

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM by Rhythm.)
07-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Website Find Reply
Soulephant Offline
He can arrowslide
Registered

Threads: 8
RE: XP and Vista MS Paint for Windows 7
I am most certain this is helpful. Mods, please pin it.

However, a problem arises because I need the nl-NL folder instead of the en-US one. Yes, my windows 7 is Dutch. Still working on it though.

EDIT: Even took ownership manually and Windows doesn't surrender. Could be the wrong MUI file, but otherwise failpaint wins.

[Image: jWFQYSO.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM by Soulephant.)
07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Website Find Reply
RamzaNeko Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 2
bad method, better is install oldpaint software, with 98, XP, vista and maintain the 7 version
07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Find Reply
Soulephant Offline
He can arrowslide
Registered

Threads: 8
(07-06-2012, 03:07 PM)RamzaNeko Wrote: bad method, better is install oldpaint software, with 98, XP, vista and maintain the 7 version
Problem is, in that case, that working with the old paint becomes a lot slower as you have to select it all the time. Spriters will want quick, quick access to the old paint as it will be the only thing they are ever using (unless you actually want to use it, the existance of 7 paint equals slowdown). It becomes even more bothersome if you can't associate your files with the program: After all, both are called mspaint and apparently the failed one takes precedence. The solution to that turned out to be rather simple: Rename the old one.

Also, I just confirmed that the provided mui file does not work with anything other than the en-US folder, which means that if your Windows 7 is not from the US, it probably won't work.

[Image: jWFQYSO.png]
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Ciel Offline
MegaManGamer123
Registered

Threads: 6
I have MS Paint on my windows 7 pc , it works alright much better than the paint that came with my pc once I copy and paste another image into another and save the image is all distorted and has a ton of pixel dots all over it , but MS Paint works fine it does have the occasional not responding error when saving which results in the file being corrupt but I can live with that.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ciel / MegaManGamer123 : http://megamangamer123.deviantart.com/

[Image: tumblr_m7r4c9u66J1r3rkxfo1_r3_500_zps1b593393.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM by Ciel.)
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Valo Offline
Nooblet Tour guide
Registered

Threads: 11
*people editing their technicall crap that I didn't bother to try to understand*
Sigh... Google XP paint download. just download the file from this link. No extra effort needed.

http://www.sheeptech.com/download-micros...ssing-copy

towards the bottom is the link. I got mine from here and works 100percent perfect

[Image: RF8iZPq.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 05:41 PM by Valo.)
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
Rhythm Online
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 70
Soulephant...I'll see if I can find you the nl-NL mui file once I get home. I'm sure someone somewhere has it and I'll send you the link once I do.
Ciel, I'm not sure why your file are being saved all pixelated. Gotta run through the traditional troubleshooting: are you saving the files in .png or .bmp instead of .gif or .jpg? I've noticed that saving in a different file format can mess up a file (and have had to restart many projects in the past for that exact reason)

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
07-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Website Find Reply
RamzaNeko Offline
Still Here
Registered

I installed the oldpaint and when I use "right click menu > EDIT" the image is opened on XP Paint not 7paint...
But both methods work Smile

Win7 Paint is not good when it mix colors , and make sprites hard simplify colors for MUGEN engine ( in my case )
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 07:54 PM by RamzaNeko.)
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
sovietcommando Offline
AI Construct
Co-Admin

Threads: 10
Alternatively, you can do what I did and copy and save the XP version of Paint and stick it in a thumbdrive to later paste into a new PC that may not necessarily have the same version of Paint.

As for accessibility, I just pinned the old paint onto my Start Menu pop-up. It's literally the first program I see.

::Alternate AI Construct Installed::

::Rerouting systems::

.:Link to the forum rules:.
07-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
Ciel Offline
MegaManGamer123
Registered

Threads: 6
Rhythm_BCA : I'm not sure but its ok , its good when I'm recoloring something , but I'm using MS Paint anyway.

Ciel / MegaManGamer123 : http://megamangamer123.deviantart.com/

[Image: tumblr_m7r4c9u66J1r3rkxfo1_r3_500_zps1b593393.gif]

08-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Website Find Reply
castleofwarriors Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
When I try to change the mui file, it says i need permission, even though i took ownership, and i'm an admin on the computer.
EDIT: Fixed.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM by castleofwarriors.)
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Find Reply
mettaurssuck56 Offline
Spriter and begginer animator
Registered

(07-06-2012, 03:44 PM)Soulephant Wrote:
(07-06-2012, 03:07 PM)RamzaNeko Wrote: bad method, better is install oldpaint software, with 98, XP, vista and maintain the 7 version
Problem is, in that case, that working with the old paint becomes a lot slower as you have to select it all the time. Spriters will want quick, quick access to the old paint as it will be the only thing they are ever using (unless you actually want to use it, the existance of 7 paint equals slowdown). It becomes even more bothersome if you can't associate your files with the program: After all, both are called mspaint and apparently the failed one takes precedence. The solution to that turned out to be rather simple: Rename the old one.

Also, I just confirmed that the provided mui file does not work with anything other than the en-US folder, which means that if your Windows 7 is not from the US, it probably won't work.
I use the old paint all the time on windows vista and it runs perfectly fast! no need for me to update.

You may call names, but I'll just keep sayin; "nobody's normal, now just go on home and shut the f up"[/color]
19-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
MasterGrand Offline
Group: Hex Editor
Registered

Threads: 0
(07-06-2012, 01:39 PM)Rhythm Wrote: I've noticed a few people bringing this up in a forum so I figured I would start a separate topic to inform everyone about how to do this. (Maybe getting it pegged to the top if it's found to be helpful?)
How to get Old Paint working in Windows 7

If you have Windows Vista installed along with Windows 7, you can directly run the "mspaint.exe" file present in "%windir%\System32" folder and it'll run the old Paint without any problem.

You can also create a shortcut of this file at Desktop or in the Start Menu so that you can easily access it.

But if you want to completely replace the new Paint in Windows 7 with the old Paint, then you can follow these simple and easy to use steps:

1. Open following folder:
Quote:%windir%\System32

You can open it by typing the path in RUN dialog box and press Enter.

2. Now take ownership of "mspaint.exe" file. To take ownership, please follow this tutorial:

Add Take Ownership Option in File / Folder Context Menu in Windows Vista and 7

3. Now rename the "mspaint.exe" file to "mspaint_backup.exe".

4. Now copy "mspaint.exe" file from Vista and paste it in "%windir%\System32" folder.
[Image: Copying_old_mspaint_exe_in_win_7.png]

5. Now go to "en-US" folder and take ownership of "mspaint.exe.mui" file. After taking ownership rename the file to "mspaint_backup.exe.mui".

6. Now copy "mspaint.exe.mui" file from Vista and paste in "%windir%\System32\en-US" folder.
[Image: Copying_old_mspaint_mui_in_win_7.png]

7. If you are using 64-bit Windows edition, you'll also need to replace both mspaint.exe and mspaint.exe.mui files present in "Windows\sysWOW64" and "Windows\sysWOW64\en-US" folders using the same steps as mentioned above.

That's it. Now Windows 7 will start using the old Paint.
[Image: classic_ms_paint_in_windows_7_by_vishal_...35l2jn.png]

If you want to use the new Paint later, simply delete the new "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files and then rename the backup files to their default names.

NOTE: If you don't have Windows Vista installed, you can download the required "mspaint.exe" and "mspaint.exe.mui" files from following link:

Download Link

Hope this helps everyone stuck with the weird Ribbons in Windows 7 Paint
Source: AskVG.com

Please reupload it becuase devinart deleted file.
26-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 5
(26-04-2016, 08:49 PM)MasterGrand Wrote: Please reupload it becuase devinart deleted file.

The source link has a working download for it. Also, you didn't need to quote the entire OP just to ask that.
26-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Website Find Reply