Movies/TV Shows that Everybody Likes Except You
Smedis2 Offline
Are video games real?
Registered

Threads: 34
Movies/TV Shows that Everybody Likes Except You
Have you ever seen a movie/TV series that, while everyone else LOVED it, just didn't click with you? Feel free to rant about it here.

[spoiler=This one's bound to piss a LOT of people off. I guarantee you'll be genuinely surprised when you see this.]
[Image: leadtheylive1.jpg]

Now, I know as as a Sc-Fi nerd it's apparently heretical to dislike this film, but I really do. John Carpenter's They Live has been regarded as probably one of the best in the Sci-Fi B-Movies with a Satirical Edge™ genre (that's a real genre and if you think otherwise you are wrong). It just feels so... confused and forced. To me, it seemed to be unsure if it wanted to be a campy B-Movie, a serious drama, a sci-fi epic, a satire on consumerism, a satire on politics, a satire on the mainstream media, a satire on... well, you get the idea. It changed tone and message so much that it constantly dragged me in and out of immersion so much that I pretty much got nausea.

Now, sure, the movie is supposed to be campy, but there's quite a few scenes (especially near the beginning with the little neighborhood of homeless people getting raided by the police and all of that) that take themselves so seriously that they pretty much contrast with the rest of the film. The whole idea of a man donning sunglasses and "seeing beyond" is pretty cool, but Carpenter seemed like he just used this as a way to say "HEY LOOK AT ALL OF THESE THINGS I DON'T LIKE ARARARARARA" as opposed to really doing a whole lot with them. Sure, John Nada uses it to blow the faces off the evil aliens at the end (which is a pretty rad scene, I will admit), but for the most part it just feels like a crappy arthouse film trying to be deep.

One particularly appalling example of how the film isn't subtle in the slightest with its message is near the beginning, the scientist guy (i forgot his name) makes several remarks about the aliens ("The gap between the rich and the poor is growing!") that are such thinly-veiled attempts at trying to point out social issues that it doesn't feel like it was trying. I'm pretty sure John Carpenter just wrote an angry memoir about life and then stuck sci-fi bits in it and then passed it off as a movie.

The film has some humorous moments (particularly the ending bit, that actually made me chuckle), but they just sort of clash with everything else. It feels less like comic relief and more like humor for humor's sake, whether it's effective or not. The eternal fist-fight scene starts out promising, but then it just sort of drags on without anything really happening. John punches his friend, and then he punches back and says a one-liner. Rinse and repeat.

All in all, They Live isn't the worst film I've seen, but I feel it gets a lot more praise and respect than it deserves. Sure, it was released at a time when nobody else really tried doing an action-y sci-fi film with satircal elements in it. Except someone did the year previous.

It was a little-known flick that's a bit of a cult classic. You may have heard of it once or twice. It was called, err... what was it again? Oh yeah.
[Image: Robocop-logo.jpg]
But I've gushed enough about the first RoboCop and why it's one my favorite films ever (despite me not really having any nostalgia goggles for it, I only watched it 3 years ago and again recently), so we can leave that for another day. For now, feel free to explain why my opinions are wrong or something and then call me rude names.
[/spoiler]

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
24-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Website Find Reply
Mr. G-Force Offline
You are my bottom tier hero.
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: Movies/TV Shows that Everybody Likes Except You
I watch a lot of movies, so I have a lot I could list here, but there is one that REALLY sticks to me. A movie that, when I was finished with it, I was absolutely confuzzled at the fact that it was critically acclaimed whatsoever.
I was actually angry that people loved it.

That movie is the 1972 "thriller" Deliverance.

Ok, seriously, WHAT?! This movie has so little to offer in almost every category. It is completely plotless, the pacing is glacially slow, characters have no development or personality worth caring for, the acting is...there, and more. You could effortlessly write the script for this movie in mere hours, maybe even less. So little happens in it. And what does happen basically defines the entire movie!!! Go to Google Images and type in Deliverance, and you mainly get two results. The banjo kid, from the banjo duel scene, and the rapists, from THAT scene. Why?
BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY SCENES WORTH ANYTHING IN THE ENTIRE 110 MINUTE RUNTIME OF THIS MOVIE!!!
Everything else is just the characters rafting down the river, some of them get hurt, one of them dies, etc. But you don't care, because we don't know shit about them.

Now look, I saw this movie one time, and that was about two years ago. My memory may be a bit hazy, but I seriously don't remember anything besides the banjo scene, the rape scene, and the ending involving a completely pointless nightmare sequence. If a movie has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and 3 Oscar noms to its name, you better believe I'm expecting a memorable experience!

And somehow, in the midst of all this venting, I have an urge to rewatch it. I almost feel as if I "missed" the point of the movie. I gained absolutely NOTHING from this cinematic equivalent to NyQuil. If you did, I commend you, because you saw something that I did not. Whatever the heck that might be.

You were expecting something witty down here? Scroll your eyes back up there!

Bloody amateurs...
24-06-2016, 02:19 AM
Find Reply
Wave Offline
Resident holy man of Uluru
Registered

Threads: 5
Game of Thrones.

/thread

But yeah. I don't really have a justification for it, but I'm not a fan of GoT. I've seen some but not gotten into it. I think it must be my innate subconscious desire to be more hipster than anyone else.

m8
24-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Find Reply
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 69
(24-06-2016, 06:55 AM)Wave Wrote: Game of Thrones.

/thread

But yeah. I don't really have a justification for it, but I'm not a fan of GoT. I've seen some but not gotten into it. I think it must be my innate subconscious desire to be more hipster than anyone else.

Have to agree with this one. So many people are all up about this as if it's the greatest thing ever written. With all the status updates and posting about it on social media I have no need to watch it as I'm still aware of everything going on.
Same can be said about The Walking Dead (which I actually tried watching and was bored with) and Breaking Bad. I just cannot get into these shows that are long sequential epics that everyone feels the need to tout as the greatest thing ever. Not bashing the shows, but (heh, once again) more the fan base who continuously shove it in your face.

Movies for me include, but not limited to, The Matrix (especially when it was first released. My god people would not shut the hell up about it), and recently Avatar. All I ever got from people who wanted to shove these two especially in my face raved about how amazing the visual effects are. That's wonderful, but I don't go to a movie solely for the visual effects. If I did that, Phantom Menace would be a top-tier movie for the stunning use of a humorous CGI character and extensive use of greenscreen backgrounds throughout! I go for the whole experience. And if I feel a movie doesn't give that to me, I don't feel it's worth my time.

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
24-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Website Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Threads: 195
The revived Battlestar Galactica. My god, this show was just depressing to watch. I love me some sci-fi, but this sort of went overboard on the grim and grittyness of the whole thing.

Also... with you lot on Game of Thrones. Just can't get into it.

24-06-2016, 02:20 PM
Website Find Reply