Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
(26-08-2016 03:42 AM)Thoron Wrote:  Great job Wrecking!

Could we also contribute features to this engine as well? On my build, I have Bladers and Tellies working, a dedicated slide button, and floating damage numbers (like Super Fighting Robot).

I'm afraid adding more features increases the chances of engine clones being made with the engine. Engine clones are games that change little to nothing to the engine, and practically only use it as a level editor. Adding more features would encourage people to do this, and coming from the Mario fangaming community, I know how much of a problem engine clones can be (look at the Hello Engine to get a better understanding of what I mean). I really don't want to risk introducing these kind of fangames to the Mega Man fangaming community, so I'm afraid only truly important features will be added.
26-08-2016 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schmidkalkan Offline
Tileset Fanatic
Registered

RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
(26-08-2016 02:42 AM)ApselTheBlue Wrote:  awesome first update!

BTW.not sure it its just me but all of the sounds were replaced with windows sounds.

Nope, not only you.
26-08-2016 04:21 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(26-08-2016 04:21 PM)Schmidkalkan Wrote:  Nope, not only you.

There's a bug in Game Maker Studio that replaces all sound effects by Windows beeps. Try importing the .gmz file again until it works.
26-08-2016 04:25 PM
Schmidkalkan Offline
Tileset Fanatic
Registered

(26-08-2016 04:25 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  

There's a bug in Game Maker Studio that replaces all sound effects by Windows beeps. Try importing the .gmz file again until it works.

Hmmm. Been trying to import for several times now, no success.

Also tried to redownload the engine, which also didn't help.
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 05:00 PM by Schmidkalkan.)
26-08-2016 04:58 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(26-08-2016 04:58 PM)Schmidkalkan Wrote:  
(26-08-2016 04:25 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  

Hmmm. Been trying to import for several times now, no success.

Also tried to redownload the engine, which also didn't help.

That's weird, I think something went wrong in exporting the project then. I'll release version 1.2 tomorrow because 1.1 has some rather major bugs, so if you're willing to wait a day, I should be able to upload a .gmz that works for you.
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 05:15 PM by WreckingPrograms.)
26-08-2016 05:15 PM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

(26-08-2016 02:58 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  
(26-08-2016 03:42 AM)Thoron Wrote:  Great job Wrecking!

Could we also contribute features to this engine as well? On my build, I have Bladers and Tellies working, a dedicated slide button, and floating damage numbers (like Super Fighting Robot).

I'm afraid adding more features increases the chances of engine clones being made with the engine. Engine clones are games that change little to nothing to the engine, and practically only use it as a level editor. Adding more features would encourage people to do this, and coming from the Mario fangaming community, I know how much of a problem engine clones can be (look at the Hello Engine to get a better understanding of what I mean). I really don't want to risk introducing these kind of fangames to the Mega Man fangaming community, so I'm afraid only truly important features will be added.

Oh alright, I understand. I'll hold off from developing in this engine until a few more revisions pass.
26-08-2016 05:52 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Do you think you could do ice physics?

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
26-08-2016 07:21 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(26-08-2016 07:21 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  Do you think you could do ice physics?

Sure, that sounds like a pretty important feature. Thanks for the suggestion!
26-08-2016 08:21 PM
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

Some ideas to consider, ordered from high priority to low:

- Example of the teleporting hatches boss rush located near the end of the fortress, as that'll probably trip a few novices up a bit.
- Fortress map.
- Example of a fortress boss, preferably a huge one.
- Example of a screen affecting weapon, like Gravity Hold or Centaur Flash.
- Vertical boss doors (at the top or bottom of the screen, unless that's already in).
- Screen shaking (several kinds with several options, such as being able to knock Mega Man over like in Mega Man 1, or just "bounce" him up and down, kinda like in the Game Boy games).
(This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 01:22 AM by Beed28.)
27-08-2016 01:21 AM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

Game Maker 8.1 bugged off, and now i have to wait for v1.2 for GameMaker: Studio to release... ._.
27-08-2016 12:19 PM
CrimsonCamisole Offline
Regular
Registered

This is a great engine, something I've been looking for a long time! Definetely using this for Unparalleled.
One question: Does it include time bombs?

certified trash-tier description writer
27-08-2016 12:30 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll make sure to consider all of them.

CrimsonCamisole Wrote:One question: Does it include time bombs?
Nope, there are no time bombs I'm afraid, and they aren't a major enough feature to be included. However, adding them yourself shouldn't be too much of a problem since they are rather simple.
27-08-2016 01:15 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

Are there any reasons why this engine should be considered "easy"? I'm gonna have to learn GML from YoYo Games before i might stretch myself into this engine. ._.
27-08-2016 02:06 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(27-08-2016 02:06 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  Are there any reasons why this engine should be considered "easy"? I'm gonna have to learn GML from YoYo Games before i might stretch myself into this engine. ._.

It's hard to explain, but basically, I made sure adding common things like enemies, gimmicks, bosses and special weapons as easy as I could. In other engines, these things usually take a lot of time to set up, but here, that's not necessary (watch the tutorial videos to see what I mean). The code is also a lot cleaner than most other engines, which should save you a lot of time trying to understand what is going on programming-wise.
It's tough to see the difference if you haven't yet worked with any other engines, though.
27-08-2016 02:12 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Version 1.2 of the Mega Engine has just been released! Sorry for posting updates so rapidly after one another, but 1.1 had some rather major bugs that I wanted to fix as soon as possible. It doesn't just include bugfixes, though, it also has some new features (read the changelog below for more details). The problem where Game Maker Studio would replace all sound effects by Windows beeps should be gone now, too.

Unless more bugs will be found or more amazing features will be suggested, this is the final version of the engine.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
27-08-2016 08:14 PM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

he got to close to the wall on the floor and uh...
[Image: cZNYqSO.png]

also hitting him with star crash... Crashes the game.
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2016 11:28 AM by Renhoek.)
28-08-2016 01:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

Any chances for a save system?
28-08-2016 11:00 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(28-08-2016 01:18 AM)Renhoek Wrote:  he got to close to the wall on the floor and uh...
Hmm, I assume that has something to do with the mask width and X origin. I'll look into it.

(28-08-2016 01:18 AM)Renhoek Wrote:  also hitting him with star crash... Crashes the game.
Oh, I'm stupid, I added the Star Crash damage value to the GM8.1 version but forgot to add it to the GM Studio version. Thanks for telling me.

JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:Any chances for a save system?
I'm afraid that's not very effective. Every game uses a slightly different save system: some games have collectibles they want to save and some don't, and some games don't want a save system at all and instead implement a password system. A save system is hard to generally implement since it's different for every game, sorry.
28-08-2016 12:47 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

(28-08-2016 12:47 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 01:18 AM)Renhoek Wrote:  he got to close to the wall on the floor and uh...
Hmm, I assume that has something to do with the mask width and X origin. I'll look into it.

(28-08-2016 01:18 AM)Renhoek Wrote:  also hitting him with star crash... Crashes the game.
Oh, I'm stupid, I added the Star Crash damage value to the GM8.1 version but forgot to add it to the GM Studio version. Thanks for telling me.

JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:Any chances for a save system?
I'm afraid that's not very effective. Every game uses a slightly different save system: some games have collectibles they want to save and some don't, and some games don't want a save system at all and instead implement a password system. A save system is hard to generally implement since it's different for every game, sorry.

But this engine only does passwords that DOESN'T contain the saved items (e-tanks, 1ups, etc.), right?
28-08-2016 02:05 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(28-08-2016 02:05 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  But this engine only does passwords that DOESN'T contain the saved items (e-tanks, 1ups, etc.), right?

Actually, passwords aren't implemented at all. That's why the password section of the Game Over/Victory screen is blank.
28-08-2016 02:18 PM