Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio 1&2!
galaxyflowers Offline
Registered

RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
(31-08-2016 10:04 AM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  I have GameMaker: Studio (the free version) but these errors coming from the version makes me want to use GameMaker 8.1 because this engine was made natively in 8.1.

There's only 1 error and it's loading fmod. 8.1 is cool but I wouldn't make anything worthwhile on there unless you want someone to just crack it open and noodle with your new code.
31-08-2016 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
(31-08-2016 10:52 AM)galaxyflowers Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 10:04 AM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  I have GameMaker: Studio (the free version) but these errors coming from the version makes me want to use GameMaker 8.1 because this engine was made natively in 8.1.

There's only 1 error and it's loading fmod. 8.1 is cool but I wouldn't make anything worthwhile on there unless you want someone to just crack it open and noodle with your new code.

In GM8.1 version it's working fine. Tongue
31-08-2016 11:18 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Hmm, I guess that new Studio update is messing things up then. I'll see if I can find a fix, but since the FMOD DLL is not within my control, I may not find a solution.
What I can recommend, though, is to never use the latest version of Studio. With every update, new major bugs are introduced, and thus, updates can screw you over badly. This FMOD problem is just one of many examples: in the past, I've had problems with views, tiles, broken functions and more. Eventually I just decided to stick with the version that seemed to be the most stable: version 1.4.1499.
This version, along with all past versions, can be downloaded on this page: https://www.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-s...tudio.html

I will look into the FMOD problem, but I really cannot promise that there's a fix for it.
31-08-2016 12:12 PM
Schmidkalkan Offline
Tileset Fanatic
Registered

Steam Version is working just fine. For now at least.
31-08-2016 01:07 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

Is this engine easy to use than Blyka's engine? I realize there was still the Blyka engine but i heard that is hard to use.
31-08-2016 02:27 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(31-08-2016 02:27 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  Is this engine easy to use than Blyka's engine? I realize there was still the Blyka engine but i heard that is hard to use.

Definitely. Blyka's engine's inflexibility was the main reason as to why I created this engine. No offense to Blyka of course, it was an amazing engine for its time, but it's just a total pain to use nowadays. I aimed to fix this with the Mega Engine.
31-08-2016 03:22 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

(31-08-2016 03:22 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 02:27 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  Is this engine easy to use than Blyka's engine? I realize there was still the Blyka engine but i heard that is hard to use.

Definitely. Blyka's engine's inflexibility was the main reason as to why I created this engine. No offense to Blyka of course, it was an amazing engine for its time, but it's just a total pain to use nowadays. I aimed to fix this with the Mega Engine.

Are there fixed bugs that were from Blyka's engine as well?
31-08-2016 09:04 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(31-08-2016 09:04 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  Are there fixed bugs that were from Blyka's engine as well?

I haven't used Blyka's engine enough to discover any bugs, so I honestly do not know. Did you have any specific bugs in mind?
01-09-2016 05:56 AM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

(01-09-2016 05:56 AM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 09:04 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  Are there fixed bugs that were from Blyka's engine as well?

I haven't used Blyka's engine enough to discover any bugs, so I honestly do not know. Did you have any specific bugs in mind?

When i was playing "Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest" i noticed that if you restart a level after dying, you can notice that the E-Tanks you collected in a level won't respawn, so does the obstacles you remove with the weapons.
01-09-2016 08:33 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(01-09-2016 08:33 AM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  When i was playing "Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest" i noticed that if you restart a level after dying, you can notice that the E-Tanks you collected in a level won't respawn, so does the obstacles you remove with the weapons.

E-Tanks only respawn when you get a game over as this was the case in the original games, but aside from that, the bugs you listed are not present here.
I wouldn't judge Blyka's engine by MaGMML, though. That game had a lot of added features, which were incredibly buggy. So all bugs you listed (again, aside from the E-Tank one since that's not a bug) are not present in Blyka's Engine, they are just the result of MaGMML's added features.
01-09-2016 03:12 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

(01-09-2016 03:12 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 08:33 AM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  When i was playing "Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest" i noticed that if you restart a level after dying, you can notice that the E-Tanks you collected in a level won't respawn, so does the obstacles you remove with the weapons.

E-Tanks only respawn when you get a game over as this was the case in the original games, but aside from that, the bugs you listed are not present here.
I wouldn't judge Blyka's engine by MaGMML, though. That game had a lot of added features, which were incredibly buggy. So all bugs you listed (again, aside from the E-Tank one since that's not a bug) are not present in Blyka's Engine, they are just the result of MaGMML's added features.

Oh. >_<
01-09-2016 03:28 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Do you think you could add in the weapons Top Spin and Super Arm to give an example of how those more physical kinds of weapons can work?

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
01-09-2016 09:19 PM
DWN No.000 Blues Offline
Registered

Nice engine! I was thinking of making a pc mega man game boy compilation so would it be possible to have an option to disable slide and charge shots in game?
02-09-2016 05:07 AM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

When is v1.3 gonna be released?
02-09-2016 11:55 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(01-09-2016 09:19 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  Do you think you could add in the weapons Top Spin and Super Arm to give an example of how those more physical kinds of weapons can work?

I would, if it wasn't for the fact that nearly all physical weapons in Mega Man are completely different. They all need different "states" and alterations, so if I were to add the Top Spin, for example, it still wouldn't make it any easier to add the Super Arm.

DWN No.000 Blues Wrote:Nice engine! I was thinking of making a pc mega man game boy compilation so would it be possible to have an option to disable slide and charge shots in game?
The F.A.Q. explains how to disable sliding and buster charging MM - Happy
02-09-2016 02:51 PM
DWN No.000 Blues Offline
Registered

Thanks! Also do you know how to code boss A.I.?

Also,could you link me to a GM 8.1 downloader?
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 05:27 PM by DWN No.000 Blues.)
02-09-2016 04:33 PM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

(02-09-2016 04:33 PM)DWN No.000 Blues Wrote:  Thanks! Also do you know how to code boss A.I.?

You might need to code it yourself if you are pretty good with GML, but the playlist for this engine has this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BYEpraH...qkgZtLEr2D

As for GameMaker 8.1... there seems to be no existing page to buy the old version, but GameMaker: Studio has a free version which isn't a trial and it offers everything you need. http://www.yoyogames.com/get
Atleast i hope the GMX version works fine.
02-09-2016 06:28 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Version 1.3 of the Mega Engine has just been released! This update only contains bug fixes, but they are some rather major ones. The most notable bug that has been fixed is the bug where LoadFMOD() crashes the game in GM Studio 1.4.1760. Upon further inspection of the error messages, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need any of the newly-broken functions, so I messed around in the LoadFMOD() script and prevented these broken functions from loading. Now the error messages shouldn't pop up anymore.

From now on, I won't add any more features to the engine, as I feel like it has all necessary content right now. If there will ever be another update, it will be one with just bug fixes.

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
02-09-2016 07:43 PM
DWN No.000 Blues Offline
Registered

(02-09-2016 06:28 PM)JohnLeagsdurg Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 04:33 PM)DWN No.000 Blues Wrote:  Thanks! Also do you know how to code boss A.I.?

You might need to code it yourself if you are pretty good with GML, but the playlist for this engine has this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BYEpraH...qkgZtLEr2D

As for GameMaker 8.1... there seems to be no existing page to buy the old version, but GameMaker: Studio has a free version which isn't a trial and it offers everything you need. http://www.yoyogames.com/get
Atleast i hope the GMX version works fine.

Thanks the reason i asked is because studio gives me too much trouble...
02-09-2016 07:43 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(02-09-2016 07:43 PM)DWN No.000 Blues Wrote:  Thanks the reason i asked is because studio gives me too much trouble...

If you're referring to the LoadFMOD() crash: that bug has been fixed in 1.3, which I just released, so make sure to check it out.
02-09-2016 07:49 PM