Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
[Image: Tzy8LkV.png]

The Mega Engine is a free open-source Classic Mega Man engine for Game Maker Studio and Game Maker 8.1, built around the idea of combining accuracy to the original games with being flexible and easy-to-use. It aims to take the best of all entries in the Classic series and combining it in one engine. Being built from the ground up, this engine is the result of three months of work; while this may seem like a short development time, I did not cut any corners in regards to quality.

The engine has several features, including:
  • 60 FPS Classic Mega Man gameplay
  • Flexibility in adding or changing content in the engine
  • Accurate movement, physics, object interaction and more
  • Sliding and buster charging (can be disabled with ease)
  • Collision with solids, jumpthrough solids, ladders, spikes and water
  • A “section system” as present in the Classic titles, including proper screen transitions
  • Several built-in special weapons, with flexibility in adding new ones or changing existing ones
  • Built-in enemies, as well as flexibility in adding your own
  • Three example gimmicks included in the engine, and flexibility in adding your own
  • An example Robot Master with full AI, and flexibility to add your own bosses
  • A customizable title screen, stage select, boss introduction screen, weapon get screen, game over screen and pause screen
  • E-Tanks, M-Tanks, health drops, weapon drops and extra lives
  • Fully functional checkpoints

To make this engine as easy to use as I could, I made a video tutorial series on how to use the engine. A playlist of the series can be found here: http://bit.ly/2bc7HQE

I also recorded an engine playthrough to showcase most of the features it has:

Screenshots:

F.A.Q.

Downloads
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

Ideas, suggestions, feedback and criticism are very appreciated, so feel free to let me know about your opinion!
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 04:59 PM by WreckingPrograms.)
22-08-2016 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
goddamn

this engine is perfect. that's all i can say.

Mike Crain Wrote:lol i take history with a grain of salt, because it's always written by the victors
and i wasnt there
- Mike Crain; May 2, 2016
22-08-2016 09:26 PM
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

Revo Remix ContributorUpgrade AwardChiptune Award
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
Dude this is a FANTASTIC engine. It's already going to be used in the Mega Man 1 Remake and Mega Man FU.

22-08-2016 09:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(22-08-2016 09:45 PM)CosmicGem Wrote:  Dude this is a FANTASTIC engine. It's already going to be used in the Mega Man 1 Remake and Mega Man FU.

Wait, really? That's awesome. Both projects sound promising, so I'm honoured that my engine will be used for them!
22-08-2016 09:57 PM
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
As the director and general manager for Mega Man FU, I can confirm FU will use this engine. All due credit will be given as well.

Mike Crain Wrote:lol i take history with a grain of salt, because it's always written by the victors
and i wasnt there
- Mike Crain; May 2, 2016
22-08-2016 10:09 PM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

Holy moly. This engine is amazing, and exactly what I've been looking for a while.

Thank you WreckingGoomba.
(This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 10:31 PM by Thoron.)
22-08-2016 10:31 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Exciting!!!

I can't look at this engine right now, but I've been making an open source Mega Man engine myself in Java partly as a learning experience, and just going off of people's opinions so far I bet this engine has a lot of great stuff that could help me out. Thank you!

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 01:14 AM by Entity1037.)
23-08-2016 01:13 AM
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

one word: MEGA. as in good. Im sorry everyone.

Ya know I never though I'd see a mega man engine other than blyka's old one. After playing around with this one I have to say it's VERY solid. I can see ALOT of great fan games being made with this. Sorry about double posting by the way, some people find that annoying.
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 03:03 AM by ApselTheBlue.)
23-08-2016 02:50 AM
Thojoewhit Offline
Regular Joe
Registered

The GM 8.1 engine has errors like with the wall moving things. If you fix these glitchs, This engine will be amazing!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
23-08-2016 08:08 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

tried out the engine, feels extremely solid so far I was actually pretty surprised.

if I could make a suggestion it would be to add an example shield weapon that can block projectiles since almost every mega man game's had a shield in some form or another.
also after doing a bit of messing around, you didn't really showcase that the engine was cable of vertical scrolling, I'd suggest doing it where you encounter the big eye since you start at the highest point of the room in the conveyor belt section.

Look forward to seeing things made with this.
23-08-2016 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thojoewhit Wrote:The GM 8.1 engine has errors like with the wall moving things. If you fix these glitchs, This engine will be amazing!
Hmm, I never encountered any problems with that myself. Could you explain the problem in more detail?

Renhoek Wrote:if I could make a suggestion it would be to add an example shield weapon that can block projectiles since almost every mega man game's had a shield in some form or another.
That's a pretty good idea, thanks. I'll make sure to add some kind of shield weapon in the next version!

Renhoek Wrote:also after doing a bit of messing around, you didn't really showcase that the engine was cable of vertical scrolling, I'd suggest doing it where you encounter the big eye since you start at the highest point of the room in the conveyor belt section.
Vertical scrolling was not showcased as the 8-bit games did not have it. The fact that it works actually surprises me, as I've never tested it out, but it's good to know, so thanks for mentioning!
(This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 01:40 PM by WreckingPrograms.)
23-08-2016 11:14 AM
Alejandro10000 Offline
Icon by AestheticMage
Registered

Nice demostration of the Mega Engine

[Image: 1bkhyd.gif]

[Image: 1bkhe2.gif]
23-08-2016 06:21 PM
Thojoewhit Offline
Regular Joe
Registered

I used the GM 8.1 to GM 8 tool so that might be the problem.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
23-08-2016 06:41 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
(23-08-2016 06:41 PM)Thojoewhit Wrote:  I used the GM 8.1 to GM 8 tool so that might be the problem.

That's probably it, then. Someone else tested that for me as well and encountered numerous issues, which are most likely being caused by the fact that this engine is not made to be compatible with GM 8.0.
If you really want to use this engine, the Standard version (which can do everything you want) of Game Maker Studio is free, and the engine is fully compatible with that version of Studio.
23-08-2016 07:23 PM
Thojoewhit Offline
Regular Joe
Registered

My computer isn't compadable with Studio. Thanks but I'll stick with Blyka's engine. Sorry Sad

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
23-08-2016 07:34 PM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

Taking a look at the engine, it seems very robust and quite extendable.

Now, if only Game Maker Studio's SpiceIDE stopped crashing all the time...

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to dig up a copy of GM 8.1. Works fine there!
(This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 02:58 AM by Thoron.)
24-08-2016 02:32 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Version 1.1 of the Mega Engine has just been released!

Download:
Game Maker Studio
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
25-08-2016 10:21 PM
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

awesome first update!

BTW.not sure it its just me but all of the sounds were replaced with windows sounds.
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 03:04 AM by ApselTheBlue.)
26-08-2016 02:42 AM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

(25-08-2016 10:21 PM)WreckingPrograms Wrote:  Version 1.1 of the Mega Engine has just been released!

Great job Wrecking!

Could we also contribute features to this engine as well? On my build, I have Bladers and Tellies working, a dedicated slide button, and floating damage numbers (like Super Fighting Robot).
26-08-2016 03:42 AM
JohnLeagsdurg Offline
Regular
Registered

Hey there WreckingPrograms, i'm ScoopJohn from YouTube. I realized i had left my Sprites Inc. account here so i just went to post here to see how it goes. Glad i'm not late to the fun! Big Grin
26-08-2016 10:27 AM