Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
MegaSMASH Offline
Registered

RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
I have an really good question:

Where do I find the programm to start? I only got data as donwload.
15-02-2017 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
(15-02-2017 11:24 PM)MegaSMASH Wrote:  I have an really good question:

Where do I find the programm to start? I only got data as donwload.

As stated in the first post, this engine can be used with Game Maker 8.1 and Studio. The former isn't officially supported anymore but the latter can be downloaded for free at yoyogames.com.

However, judging from your question, I assume you don't have any Game Maker experience. If that's true, I highly do not recommend using this engine until you've gathered at least moderate GML (Game Maker Language) skills.
17-02-2017 08:07 PM
rockrollbluesfortetreble Offline
Registered

could Somebody teach me how to make other characters in the Mega Engine?
i want to try it. i'll be looking at some tutorials while you reply.
17-03-2017 11:01 PM
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

(17-03-2017 11:01 PM)rockrollbluesfortetreble Wrote:  i want to try it. i'll be looking at some tutorials while you reply.

assuming you're talking about making other characters in the mega engine; and assuming you're using the more updated MaGMML 2 fork; it's as easy as creating a new spritesheet by copying and editing megaman's sprite-sheet. Then you would edit the Megaman object to apply the correct palette.
21-03-2017 09:04 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

(21-03-2017 09:04 AM)notencore Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 11:01 PM)rockrollbluesfortetreble Wrote:  i want to try it. i'll be looking at some tutorials while you reply.

assuming you're talking about making other characters in the mega engine; and assuming you're using the more updated MaGMML 2 fork; it's as easy as creating a new spritesheet by copying and editing megaman's sprite-sheet. Then you would edit the Megaman object to apply the correct palette.

I'd advice against using that engine at the time being as it has issues that could cause a lot of problems in a full fangame.

Also what about his comment said custom character :v
21-03-2017 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

(21-03-2017 01:58 PM)Renhoek Wrote:  
(21-03-2017 09:04 AM)notencore Wrote:  

I'd advice against using that engine at the time being as it has issues that could cause a lot of problems in a full fangame.

Also what about his comment said custom character :v

He changed the post subject of his post.
21-03-2017 07:40 PM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

Hello WreckingPrograms!!! i had tried your engine and i already done 17 weapons and 5 robot Masters from the original series but im having trouble with the ini files because this is the first time i make a game so can you please help me with this or with a password sistem please. i dont plan to add collectibles so its just the unlokable weapons and the defeated bosses that i want to save to a ini file.
POS: i dont speak Inglish
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 06:41 PM by MegaDark.)
02-07-2017 06:26 PM
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

Try Super Mega Engine. It's a variant of this engine.
02-07-2017 07:07 PM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

Thanks but the problem is that im working with GM 8 because my old computer dont let me install GMStudio
03-07-2017 12:10 AM
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

Oooooh. Sorry
03-07-2017 01:37 AM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

dont worry it was a good idea but my pc sucks
03-07-2017 01:46 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Shaun Spalding has made a pretty good video tutorial about creating a save system using INI files. I recommend checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH9JxykJb6k
03-07-2017 09:54 PM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

thank you im gonna try it out
04-07-2017 04:26 AM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

ok thanks WreckingPrograms i got it working now
MM - 1upSmile
04-07-2017 06:13 PM
OnslaughtRM Offline
Registered

So looking forward to using this engine! Everything is easy to understand and organized so well!

I'm actually hoping to use a combination of the Super Mega Engine and the latest "official" version. Do you have any idea what bug fixes and improvements need to be made to Super Mega? I assume copy-pasting the code from the playerCollision and playerShooting scripts would be a big part of it, but I'm sure there's more to it.

This is the kind of thing that would be difficult to keep track of, so I completely understand if you don't know.

Looking forward to getting my massive fan game up and running!

Thanks again!
11-07-2017 07:49 AM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
Unfortunately I have no experience with the Super Mega Engine and am not fully aware of what they changed, so I'm afraid I can't help you there, sorry!
11-07-2017 01:45 PM
OnslaughtRM Offline
Registered

Thanks for the quick reply Wrecking.

After playing around with both Super Mega Engine and Mega Engine 1.5, and running through your tutorials on youtube, I think I'm going to stick with Mega Engine 1.5.

While Super Mega Engine has a lot of things I would like to implement eventually, there's zero guidance on how to do even the simplest things and it's drastically different than how the tutorials explain it. In regular Mega Engine 1.5, I had no problem putting in the Laser Trident, Flying Shell, and creating a full level with Metal Man boss (and a simple AI). In Super Mega Engine, very few things work the same. I can't even create a demo level to test everything because objects aren't acting like they should, ladders aren't working, and touching spikes is creating errors.

I'll use the code in Super as a guide for making some of the other features that I would like (the shop, multiple characters, etc.), but I'm sticking with 1.5 for now.
12-07-2017 03:09 AM
MegaDark Offline
Registered

hello again Wrecking sorry if i bother you but im having trouble with weapons like charge kick and top spin so can you help me on how can i get them work please
12-07-2017 04:38 AM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Very random question: where is TestMusic.ogg from? I can't seem to recall exactly where it plays in the Mega Man series

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
15-07-2017 02:24 AM
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

Mega Man 7 Dr Wily Stage 02 or 3.
15-07-2017 05:03 AM