Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio 1&2!
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio!
It's been a long time, but version 1.6 is released! I've decided to address some bugs, add a couple commonly-requested features and port the game to Game Maker Studio 2.

Download:
Game Maker Studio 2
Game Maker Studio 1.4
Game Maker 8.1

The downloads in the main post have also been updated.

Changelog:
28-10-2017 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio 1&2!
Hey, my apologies if this inconveniences you, but can I ask you for advice regarding how to program a certain feature in the engine?

I'm pretty sure I'm using the Mega Engine 1.5 right now, and am probably going to stick with that for my test project.

So I've been watching your tutorials in an attempt to work out the basic features of the engine for a project(still deciding on whether I'll just make it 8 established Robot Masters or an original 8), but I've run into a few problems.

The first: I tried implementing Quick Boomerang, copying over the movement code for Silver Tomahawk, but I can't get it to rotate and then return; all I've been able to get it to do is move up or downward in an arc.

My code is as follows:

"if global.frozen == false
{
if y > -5
{
yspeed -= 0.25;
x += xspeed;
y += yspeed;
image_speed = 0.1;
}
if y <= 5
{
yspeed += 0.25;
x -= xspeed;
y += yspeed;
image_speed = 0.1
}
if image_angle < 360 //sets rotation for Quick Boomerang.
{
alarm[0] = 2;
}
if image_angle == 360
{
image_angle = 0;
}
}
else
{
image_speed = 0;
}"

The second: I then tried implementing Flash Stopper, but I can't figure out how to get the whole "Freeze some enemies" thing down. I thought making the game frozen and making a special exception for Mega Man would work, but no such luck.

The third: I've got a decent Sniper Joe enemy set up, with alternating states for shielding and shooting and which rotates to face the player, but I can't seem to make it go into the series of shooting sprites set up. It just moves to the second sprite in the shielding case(where its eye flashes to signal it's about to shoot)and sits there.

I can't help but feel like the solution to these problems is really obvious, but I haven't been able to figure it out, so any assistance you could offer as the engine's creator would be most appreciated.

Also, just a suggestion, but perhaps adding a screen nuke weapon(say, the Centaur Flash)might be a good idea if you ever decide to make another version of this engine.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this. Have a fantastic day.
01-11-2017 08:14 PM
WreckingPrograms Offline
Programmer I guess
Registered

Rush Award
RE: Mega Engine - Open-source Classic Megaman engine for Game Maker 8.1 and Studio 1&2!
For the Quick Boomerang arc, I recommend simply creating a path. Game Maker's path system is quite powerful, and this is a good example where it can be really handy. Make sure the Quick Boomerang follows your path relative to its X/Y position and destroys itself once the path is finished. You'll probably have to create separate paths for firing it left and right.
For Flash Stopper, it's more complicated, but I recommend creating a variable global.flashStopper that's true when Flash Stopper is activated and false otherwise. Then, go to all enemies and change "global.frozen == true" to "global.frozen == true || global.flashStopper == true". Since enemy freezing is already in the game (when the game is paused, when you're getting healed, etc...) you might as well make use of it this way.
The Sniper Joe problem sounds very specific and I can't tell you much without seeing the code first. Perhaps you set image_speed to 0 too soon, or perhaps the check for making it move to the shooting state is incorrect (e.g. don't check for image_index, but check for floor(image_index) instead). Again, this is just a guess.

If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know, but please send me a PM so we don't fill up this thread.
01-11-2017 09:16 PM
KishSquared Offline
Registered

I'm happy to share my Quick Boomerang code. Feel free to tweak it as needed, but this feels pretty good. I've never used paths so I suspect this is the inferior method for doing it Smile

CREATE
image_speed = .125;

directionx = 1;
originY = y;
radiusy = 15;
radiusx = 45;
angle = 270;
deathTimer = 50;

xspeed = 5; //only used for projectile reflection

STEP
if !global.frozen
{
image_speed = .125;
x = originX + cos(angle)*-radiusx;
y = originY + sin(angle)*-radiusy;

deathTimer--;
if deathTimer <= 0
instance_destroy();

if directionx == 1
{
angle += .12;
}
else
{
angle -= .12;
}
}
else
image_speed = 0;

Oh, this is important. Under the "shoot" script:

attackID = instance_create(box+image_xscale*4, yy, objQuickBoomerang);
attackID.directionx = image_xscale;
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2017 05:22 PM by KishSquared.)
07-11-2017 05:20 PM
Lionheart261 Offline
Regular
Registered

Thanks! This could not have come at a better time, actually; the project I'm working on right now includes Quick Man, so having this will be really helpful. Thank you so much.
09-11-2017 04:53 AM