It's finally time! Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2
is happening! Most people have probably heard of the original MaGMML, considering it got freaking, coverage by gaming news websites??? But yeah. I'm going to assume most people are familiar with the concept, but for people that aren't - this is a contest inspired by the official contests over at raocow's Talkhaus, the Make a Good Level Contests. They started out as Mario contests, in both SMW and SMBX. One day I was drunk enough to be all like "hahaha let's do that but with mega man!!" and the rest is history. I tried to find Mega Man forums to put this on and so it got put in Sprites Inc and yeah.
The goal of the contest is to, surprisingly, make a good Mega Man level. This is left intentionally vague - it's up to you what's considered good! There are five judges to provide a variety of opinions and balance out any score outliers and such. Highest ranked level wins. Whee. And of course, once the levels are judged, all levels will be compiled into one gigantic hellishly big game, with special bonuses like last game's Wily Fortress and Arena. Now, there's one important thing that I think too many people thought about the first contest - there is no quality control
. All levels that were submitted to the original game made it in, and all levels submitted will make it in to this game too (provided that there isn't like blatant NSFW stuff or something).
There's been plenty of improvements in between the last contest and this one. The biggest difference is the fact that instead of Blyka's engine, this is using the Mega Engine by WreckingPrograms. This means 60 FPS, among other things. And on top of that, I'm not the only programmer for the engine - there's actually quite a few other people much better than me at coding who have made contributions, namely Renhoek, The Stove Guy, and Entity1037, and because of this we now have stuff like a camera that fixes scroll errors by itself and a slew of crazy awesome new enemies and stage gimmicks. There's seriously a TON to work with, and because of this team effort, it's easier to make levels than ever before.
You don't need any Game Maker experience to participate - the room editor is very easy to learn, and you can make a good level just fine with just the regular assets. The thing about MaGMML1 is that the levels with custom assets also happened to be the best levels, so please don't think you need to be able to code to rank high! Citadel Basement, the 4th place level, was entirely with provided assets and it's one of the best and most fun levels in the contest because it really uses the Guts Lifts, a provided assets, very well. Again, don't be discouraged!
Another big difference between the two contests is that this contest is actually getting a testing period for the engine
. This is what the Bug Reports thread is for. So if you find any bugs, post them there! So hopefully by the time submissions open (January 1st?) the engine will be safe to use and won't break every five seconds like MaGMML1's did. The devkit will actually be public this time - considering how big this is gonna be I decided there's no point in hiding it, plus there's been like 300 people pming me asking for the original 1 devkit so I'm just going to answer all those by making the 2 devkit public.
Finally, thanks to MaGMML1 being a thing and being very popular after release there's been a significant amount of hype and community stuff being built up. Hence, the asset request thread, the new subforum, etc., plus a Discord that I made that's been a lot of fun being a part of, and I encourage anyone to join it for frequent updates. And because of this community, there's probably gonna be a lot of testing of each other's levels and generally higher quality of levels! In general I'm super looking forward to how this contest is gonna go. On to the other stuff.
1. One stage per person. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. Teams of two are allowed to work on levels together.
3. Custom assets are allowed, but make sure to include all of them with your submission files.
4. Don't modify any existing objects without permission from me.
5. No NSFW content inside levels. If I catch any of this, your level will be disqualified.
6. You can have up to three energy elements in your level. When sending your level, tell me how many your level has.
7. Make sure to title your room lvl(Level Name)_(Username) filling in username and level name with the relevant info. No parantheses. For example, lvlButts_Pyro. If you have multiple rooms, just make it something like lvlButts_Pyro_1, lvlButts_Pyro_2, etc.
8. Suffix your custom assets with your username. For example, objMet_Pyro.
9. Judging this time is supposed to be pretty much anonymous. Keep all level spoilers to #level-showcase on the Discord, or Private Messaging on the forums. If you leak your level, there will be score penalties.
I'll probably remember more later.
FRIENDLY TIPS AND STUFF
1. There are no lives!
In my opinion (and many others) lives really only serve to make you redo stuff you already beat, so we got rid of them. 1-Ups just give you a full health refill now.
2. This game will be featuring a new collectible, the Noble Nickel. The object isn't actually added to the devkit yet (;p). You can have up to 5 in your stage, but you don't have to have any if you don't want to have them. Collecting all of these items will give a unique reward :3 (it's been decided on already)
3. Not all energy elements will be required to fight Wily. I'd say about 75% of them will be required?
4. If your stage is too hard/obnoxious/long/glitchy/whatever that makes it super incredibly not fun to play, your level might be made skippable, with all energy elements and collectibles available in one special room. This (hopefully) won't happen to too many levels, though.
5. Make sure to test your level!!!
City War from the original is infamous for not being tested thoroughly!!!!!!!!
6. Enemy variety is important!! Please don't just make your level filled with Mets, Sniper/Hammer Joes, and Croakers! There's a ton of stuff to work with so don't just stick to the basics!
7. Place checkpoints frequently! No one likes having to redo a ton of stuff whenever they die!
HOW TO SUBMIT
1. Go to the top left, and click "File" and find the dropdown menu.
2. Select "Export Resources".
3. Create a .gmres for each type of resource separately, and name them based on what resource is inside. i.e., "Pyro_Sprites.gmres", "Pyro_Rooms.gmres".
4. Provide a text file with all object parents, selected sprites, and code for collision events because for some reason Game Maker screws these three things up.
5. Send all of these files to me via either PM on Sprites Inc., a Discord DM (SnoruntPyro#9758), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). (embarrassing email lol)
ACESpark has made an excellent tutorial series available in this
Design - 15. Is it well-designed and thought through, or are the obstacles seemingly randomly placed? Does the level have a proper difficulty curve?
Fun - 10. How much fun was the level to play? How much fun do you think would it be for other people? Were there elements that made/ruined the experience for you?
Creativity - 15. Does the level make good and creative setups with the premade assets, or, if it makes its own assets, did it use them well? Does the level stand out and provide something unique?
Aesthetics - 5. Does the level look fine? Is the music good?
Functionality - 5. Does the level function properly? Are there no glitches with any custom assets? Are there broken screen transitions or camera stuff?
This all is for a total of 50
points. Leaking your level to the judges will be a -5 penalty to your final score. Late submissions will have their scores capped based off how late they were. -2 for each day, so for example a submission 5 days late can only get a max of 40 points.
- Hornet Chaser
- Jewel Satellite
- Grab Buster
- Triple Blade
- Flash Stopper
- Slash Claw
- Wheel Cutter
- Rush Coil, Rush Jet, Super Arrow, Wire Adaptor
The deadline will be February 13th, 2017
at midnight, EST.
If you have submitted your level, your name will appear on the list, as well as if your level has been inserted into the main .gm81. If you're a judge don't look at it once the deadline passes!!!!
ORIGINAL POST LEFTOVERS
It's finally time! The (not so very) long awaited Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2
is here! So yeah, this contest is basically happening only because there was a lot
left to be desired in the original MaGMML and there were a bunch of things that were just a big mess there (judging, the final game being really buggy, lack of testing). Also there have been a LOT of people asking if there's gonna be another one, and I think a lot of people will be happy to here that this is happening! Hopefully this will be a lot bigger than the original!
Already I'm planning some major changes - first of all, instead of Blyka's engine, this will be using the Mega Engine by WreckingPrograms
. So yeah you can get that delicious 60 fps and no more auto-scrolling that creates OOB glitches! And the next thing - I'm sure many people are aware of the lack of weapon variety in MaGMML1, what with Metal Blade, Pharaoh Shot and Magic Card being baaaasically the same weapon. To solve this, the weapons have been separated into categories that people will vote in, and the winner of each category gets in. And the biggest change - in order to prevent the utter trainwreck that was the MaGMML engine, there will be a lengthy testing period
with the engine provided through PM, so everyone can constantly comb for bugs in the engine and give suggestions for new features.
In terms of features, I plan to include pretty much everything from MM1-6, and sprinkle in stuff from the rest of them (including the Gameboy games). Instead of just having Rush Coil and Jet, there will be 4 slots for utilities that will be all voted on. There's also been discussion of possibly using an external room editor but I'm not sure if it'll happen yet. And because we're using the afromentioned Mega Engine, this will use Game Maker 8.1 and as such there will be some new features in terms of coding and the room editor.
But yeah, the first thing to be done is the weapon voting. VOTE HERE GUYS
The weapons from MaGMML1 are not included in this poll.
Screen Wide Weapons
Ground Based Weapons
Special Buster Weapons
Multi Hit Weapons
Voting will close on Saturday, October 1st
at 12:00 AM EST. Haaaave fuuuun~~!
Also join our -- OFFICIAL DISCORD --
!!! And spread the word around that MaGMML2 is happening! I'd like for this to be a super big thing!