Rhythm is currently piecing together the list for this year's Wedge Award given annually. If you joined the community after November 25, 2016 and have either only come into DeadChat, posted in the Smeghead forum, or visited the Inc Discord, please send Rhythm a private message to let him know you are an active member of Inc and we can include you in our Wedge Award Eligible Nominees List. Check your profile for your join date before sending the PM. Thank You!

MaGMML2 - RELEASE, GO TO THE WEBSITE
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. SUBMISSIONS OPEN, LEVELS DUE FEB 13
(12-01-2017 04:03 PM)notencore Wrote:  
Quote:Or you could have a maze or a big circle and there are Energy Elements hidden around the level, so it's a scavenger hunt rather than a race to the exit.

Oh.

Oh no.

Please have mercy based Flashman.

No! No mercy! Go whole hog, the world is your chocolate-covered cherry! (In all honesty I really liked your MAGMML stage, even if I did die several times in it.)
12-01-2017 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
So apparently my insertion method for magmml1 doesn't work anymore!!! I updated the main post with a new submission method that should (hopefully) work better.
13-01-2017 02:04 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Thank you!
13-01-2017 02:22 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(12-01-2017 09:53 PM)Doctor Novakaine Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 04:03 PM)notencore Wrote:  
Quote:Or you could have a maze or a big circle and there are Energy Elements hidden around the level, so it's a scavenger hunt rather than a race to the exit.

Oh.

Oh no.

Please have mercy based Flashman.

No! No mercy! Go whole hog, the world is your chocolate-covered cherry! (In all honesty I really liked your MAGMML stage, even if I did die several times in it.)

Hah! I was honestly considering having the first screen of my MaGMML2 stage be an exact copy of my MaGMML1 stage, same music and everything, but then you fall through the floor into a completely unrelated level. Potentially hilarious, but probably not worth the inevitable point deduction for dedicating a whole screen to an in-joke (see: the responses to the last screen of my MaGMML1 entry).

Someday, I might follow through on my original concept for Maze of Death, which involves a scavenger hunt for Energy Elements in a giant cube of interconnected deathtrap rooms (à la the movie Cube). But, because the judges are watching and I don't want to be disqualified for leaking my level, let's say that today is not that day. Wink

No matter where you go, there you are.
13-01-2017 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThatOneEnderMan Offline
The Saltest of the Salt
Registered

(13-01-2017 03:44 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  

15-01-2017 12:51 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(15-01-2017 12:51 AM)ThatOneEnderMan Wrote:  

15-01-2017 05:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

(15-01-2017 05:11 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 16-01-2017 10:59 AM by Entity1037.)
16-01-2017 10:59 AM
Schmidkalkan Offline
Tileset Fanatic
Registered

"4. Provide a text file with all object parents, selected sprites, and code for collision events because for some reason Game Maker screws these three things up."

Sorry to bother, but can someone clarify that a bit more?
Or maybe add a tutorial.

Because I don't really understand what is meant here.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 09:31 PM by Schmidkalkan.)
18-01-2017 09:30 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
this stuff
[Image: IIcFp6c.png]
20-01-2017 12:23 AM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

Is that only for objects that you create and aren't already in the DevKit, or all objects entirely?
20-01-2017 03:46 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Quote:Is that only for objects that you create and aren't already in the DevKit, or all objects entirely?

Only assets that you have added. Everything else comes with the devkit and doesn't need importing, thus the issue doesn't exist.
20-01-2017 07:32 PM
NaOH Offline
Regular
Registered

Hello!

I just found out about the competition, and I'm interested in submitting a level. I'm an expert at game maker already, but I'm wondering -- is there a guide somewhere for how to create the level? e.g. any special objects that need to be included? Also, how does the boss work -- should our level end with a robot master? Are we expected to create our own robot master?

I haven't downloaded the devkit yet.

Sorry for being so confuzzled, just not sure where all the information is >_>
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2017 08:20 PM by NaOH.)
20-01-2017 08:19 PM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

(20-01-2017 08:19 PM)NaOH Wrote:  Hello!

I just found out about the competition, and I'm interested in submitting a level. I'm an expert at game maker already, but I'm wondering -- is there a guide somewhere for how to create the level? e.g. any special objects that need to be included? Also, how does the boss work -- should our level end with a robot master? Are we expected to create our own robot master?

I haven't downloaded the devkit yet.

Sorry for being so confuzzled, just not sure where all the information is >_>

ACESpark has published a few guides on his Youtube channel, I don't think it's linked in the main post so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uK6FIyEepE

There's really nothing difficult in making the level, all you do is duplicate the lvlCopyThisRoom room and build your level from there. There are a few complex elements that are useful to know so watch the videos and it won't be too hard afterwards.
20-01-2017 08:32 PM
NaOH Offline
Regular
Registered

Cool! Thanks so much -- I'll do that MM - 1up
20-01-2017 09:36 PM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

(20-01-2017 08:19 PM)NaOH Wrote:  Also, how does the boss work -- should our level end with a robot master? Are we expected to create our own robot master?

RMs/bosses are strictly optional.
20-01-2017 09:50 PM
Thojoewhit Offline
Regular Joe
Registered

Well, I can't wait for this game to be done!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 10:45 PM by Thojoewhit.)
22-01-2017 06:14 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
I notice that Noble Nickels are numbered. (Soak in that alliteration.) Does that mean the player will have some kind of gauge to determine whether the Nickels they've missed are earlier or later in the level, à la New Super Mario Bros.?

Whatever the case, the bit about Noble Nickels should be updated in the main post; it still says they haven't been added to the devkit.

22-01-2017 07:11 PM
RadzPrower Offline
Registered

Unrelated to level creation, but I was wanting to use a gamepad for my playtesting, but I've been unable to play with any of my controllers (except for a flight stick...not terribly useful for a platformer...). I've tried both a Wii U Pro Controller via a USB dongle (recognized as a 360 controller and has worked flawlessly as such) and a true XBox 360 wired controller and neither are recognized by MaGMML2.

Just wondering if it's something on my end or if this is something devs need to look into. If not for the gamepad customization option, I'd have just assumed gamepads were not supported, but I know some are and I find it hard to believe that the XBox 360 controller of all controllers is not.
22-01-2017 09:00 PM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

(22-01-2017 09:00 PM)RadzPrower Wrote:  Unrelated to level creation, but I was wanting to use a gamepad for my playtesting, but I've been unable to play with any of my controllers (except for a flight stick...not terribly useful for a platformer...). I've tried both a Wii U Pro Controller via a USB dongle (recognized as a 360 controller and has worked flawlessly as such) and a true XBox 360 wired controller and neither are recognized by MaGMML2.

Just wondering if it's something on my end or if this is something devs need to look into. If not for the gamepad customization option, I'd have just assumed gamepads were not supported, but I know some are and I find it hard to believe that the XBox 360 controller of all controllers is not.

I'm using an SNES controller that is connected to a USB adaptor. It works, aside from the right direction only mapping to up+right, which I get around using Joy2Key (which would probably be a decent fallback option). I'm not sure why yours wouldn't be working.
22-01-2017 10:19 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

(22-01-2017 09:00 PM)RadzPrower Wrote:  Unrelated to level creation, but I was wanting to use a gamepad for my playtesting, but I've been unable to play with any of my controllers (except for a flight stick...not terribly useful for a platformer...). I've tried both a Wii U Pro Controller via a USB dongle (recognized as a 360 controller and has worked flawlessly as such) and a true XBox 360 wired controller and neither are recognized by MaGMML2.

Actually, I HAVE programmed better gamepad support for use with the "Xin" extension that for sure detects Xbox 360 controllers. However it requires you to add the extension to your Game Maker on your computer, so it was all commented out so people wouldn't have to deal with doing that. It'll be in the release of the full game.

If you want to use it, then I can send you a PM of the extension. Just add that by going to Resources > Select Extension Packages, and then uncomment the commented code in the following places:

Objects > DontUse > objGlobalControl > Begin Step > player input (lines 28, 53 - 87)
Objects > DontUse > objGlobalControl > Alarm 0 (lines 1 - 3)
Objects > DontUse > Menu > objOptionsCursor > Step > most menu selections (line 124)
Objects > DontUse > Menu > objOptionsCursor > Step > setup controls (lines 55, and 87 - 121

If you're unfamilliar with code comments, it's all green text that's not processed as code in program code. It's setup by the following:

// [stuff here]

or

/*
[stuff here]
*/

So just delete those.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2017 12:32 AM by Entity1037.)
23-01-2017 12:28 AM