MaGMML2 - RELEASE, GO TO THE WEBSITE
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. JUDGING IN PROGRESS
I forgot to mention that I finished judging about a week ago! I meant to write this back then but I forgot. So, here are some general impressions about the contest.

Overall, I was really pleased with the quality of levels. The original MaGMML had 2 or 3 good levels, 1 atrocious level, and the rest were...meh, okay at best. However, this contest had several really, REALLY good levels! I was surprised by the creativity and originality a lot of you guys had in your level gimmicks. On the other hand, this contest's bad levels were just ;A;

Also, for some trivia, my highest overall score was 49 and my lowest was 1 Tongue
07-03-2017 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SamuraiSushiSlice Offline
Shurikens Miner, Defender of Top Spin
Registered

Will this one be possible to play right off the bat? 'Cause I had a huge problem trying to get MaGMML 1 to work. Still haven't been able to play it.
12-03-2017 11:43 PM
awd42 Offline
Regular
Registered

It should be... there has been a lot of hard work testing and bugfixing put into this already, before and during the contest period (and the work continues -- it isn't out yet!). It's going to be so much better than MaGMML1... I'm hyped! MM - 1up

Not to say it will be bug-free, as Game Maker 8.x has its own set of issues, and some engine bugs can't be fixed without breaking people's levels, but it should be stable and playable. Of course, that assumes you extract it correctly! I've literally never encountered the error you found with MaGMML1, nor heard of anyone else hitting it, but did verify just now that I get that error if I delete supersound.dll. So don't do that. Tongue
14-03-2017 04:39 AM
TeuScoops Offline
Registered

Question. Since you released the dev-kit, would it be possible to create standalone megaman games with those tools? Or is it exclusively for the contest?
24-03-2017 08:34 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

You can create a game with it. However we plan to polish up, fix up, and release the engine itself after the contest for people to use. So I'd wait until then to do stuff with it.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
24-03-2017 10:11 PM
TeuScoops Offline
Registered

(24-03-2017 10:11 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  You can create a game with it. However we plan to polish up, fix up, and release the engine itself after the contest for people to use. So I'd wait until then to do stuff with it.

Cool. Figured I could make my own little fangame. Dust off my 2d art skills and try my hand at sprites.
25-03-2017 02:39 AM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

So Garirry has finished judging :O
02-04-2017 04:32 PM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Well that took forever.
02-04-2017 04:49 PM
Kallisto Offline
Postman
Registered

It was a lot of levels, I'm not surprised it took that long.
02-04-2017 05:59 PM
TheFallenAlchemist Offline
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

So it looks like this contest will finally be available to the public soon... whew. Too many games, so little time. I'm looking at Persona 5, Cosmic Star Heroine, the new Shovel Knight expansion, Lecarde Chronicles 2 (confirmed for end of the month) and it looks like this one as well.

Too bad I can't quit my job to play games and still make money! Smile

Yeah, I review stuff: http://thegrimtower.com
03-04-2017 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pachy Offline
Unfocused Hobbyist
Registered

Is there an estimated date to when the results will be out?
Sorry if I have missed it somewhere, or if I sound a bit pushy..

Awkwardly trying to fit into the community.
03-04-2017 03:43 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman AwardTempo Award
(03-04-2017 03:43 PM)Pachy Wrote:  Is there an estimated date to when the results will be out?
Sorry if I have missed it somewhere, or if I sound a bit pushy..

Right now, we're a few hours off from finalizing the results - there's quite a few ties that we have to break. After that, we need to get the game in a playable state for Flashman (he agreed to stream the results again) - this game has a much bigger scale than the original game, so this might take a while. I'd estimate that only about a fourth of the hub is done, since we're missing all assets for the main hub and most of them have just been made for the individual tiers. We also have to make the tier bosses, and as of this post only 3 of 9 are complete (though all of them are being worked on). All six Wily stages are also in various stages of completeness (ranging from 'not started' to 'just missing the boss'). Then after that testing.

I'd like to say mid-April but honestly I don't really want to make promises Confused. Idk how much we'll get done by the coming weeks, but I'd say it wouldn't be out of the question to at least expect them some time this month.
03-04-2017 05:44 PM
Kallisto Offline
Postman
Registered

Fourth of the hub complete.
3 of 9 bosses are complete.
All six Wily stages are also in various stages of completeness (ranging from 'not started' to 'just missing the boss').

Sounds like to me you all making good time, and with the amount of developers involved then I think possibly by the end of April or early May depending how fired up everyone is.

It looks like the bosses are the main issue (makes sense), maybe put all focus on that then spread out to finish the rest of the game? Depending how many are skilled at crafting Bosses.
03-04-2017 08:46 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. JUDGING COMPLETE, GAME SOON (?)!!
The scores are now finalized!! Next on the agenda is the actual game~
03-04-2017 08:59 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
I'm still up for streaming the game as soon as it's finished. But I'm wondering whether it might be better this time to post the results before the stream.

It took me 4 hours to sample 20 levels for MaGMML1, and I think that's about as long as a stream like this should reasonably be. Now, if I rush through the hub, ignore the Noble Nickels, and exit out of each stage the first time I die, I could definitely squeeze 81 levels into the same amount of time.

But part of the joy of playing through MaGMML1 was taking the time to explore the hub, getting a feel for each level before skipping ahead, and reading the judge comments along the way. Doing the same thing for MaGMML2 would require either an all-day stream or breaking the results into multiple streams—neither of which seems ideal. But I don't think cutting corners on everything fun is the best way to showcase the game, either.

Pyro, I'll leave this up to you, but I'm inclined to put this to a vote and let the participants decide whether to hear the results by way of an official announcement, a long livestream, an extremely long livestream, or a series of normal-length livestreams.

No matter where you go, there you are.
04-04-2017 03:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

I'll let people voice their opinions here, but I personally would be for a bunch of normal-length livestreams. It would take longer for the results to come out, but it would also allow you to show off stages fully, get all the collectibles, and (hopefully) prevent fatigue.
04-04-2017 03:43 AM
TheFallenAlchemist Offline
Dr. Wily's Bastard Child
Registered

If it takes a little while longer for everything to be pieced together and finalized (and we remember how many patches the original had to have before it ended up in it's current playable state) then I would have no problem waiting until May or even June. As I said, I have a full-time job now and little time to play the games I have, so I'm most certainly not in any hurry. The last game was literal months of fun, so I am hoping that continues here. It gives me a dose of Mega Man (presses finger against arm to show vein) whenever I need it, so that's a plus for me! Big Grin

Yeah, I review stuff: http://thegrimtower.com
04-04-2017 03:46 AM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

I'm in support of normal/short-length livestreams too. I think there's no point in rushing.
04-04-2017 03:47 AM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

Hmmm.

Maybe leave the top two or three tiers as a ~mystery~ so the countdown to the ~best level~ aspect is still there, but post the rest early? That might be a terrible idea, but for us plebs who placed in the thirties or below, it might reduce some anxiety. I might be talkin out my ass tho

There's also the option of spending five minutes max on each stage, which in a game with eighty levels would let you go through all the levels in roughly seven hours. (The hubs are super empty at this point ngl)
04-04-2017 03:53 AM
NaOH Offline
Regular
Registered

Wedge Award
I think the idea of posting the bottom portion of the results all at once would definitely help with the fretting over results. Doesn't mean they can't be streamed also (afterward).

I wonder, would it be possible to break the stream up and have different streamers hotswap in? I worry for Flashman's constitution...
04-04-2017 04:09 AM