MaGMML2 - RESULTS! THE WINNER IS REVEALED!
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. JUDGING COMPLETE, GAME IN PROGRESS
(12-05-2017 07:39 PM)M. Jacquelinae Wrote:  Will you play each level in its entirety, attempting to hit every exit, etc?

Not at first. Be sure to check out my original announcement post a few comments above.

Flashman85 Wrote:I will sample (but not necessarily beat or 100% complete) as many levels as possible within the span of roughly 3 hours, starting with the bottom tier....The goal is to showcase all of the submitted levels by the end of the weekend, and then switch to a more casual "whenever I feel like it" streaming schedule where I work toward 100% completion of the game.

No matter where you go, there you are.
12-05-2017 08:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shinryu Offline
Wildcard
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. RESULTS STREAM #1, MAY 20TH
Before I go on too much with this post, here's a quick warning first: The video I'm posting here contains footage of various MaGMML2 entry levels. If you don't want to spoil yourself before the results stream or the full release, I'd suggest not watching it.

With that said and done, and for those that don't mind spoilers...guess what I managed to finish today?

Here's a sorta official trailer for MaGMML2! Along with a reminder for the date and time of the results stream. More info and links can be found in the description (along with the music source as well).
18-05-2017 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Well, I guess I'm officially starting the stream at 10 AM, then! It says so on YouTube, so it must be true.

First off, REALLY great video. Superb production values, very eye-catching, showcases a broad and thoughtful sample of the game, and definitely gets you excited. I was not expecting this at all, and I guess it's good to have a preview of several levels that I can already tell are better than mine.

But...wouldn't this have been more appropriate for a "Hey, the game is released, go download it!" video? For people who know about the game already, a 60-second teaser with the stream date probably would've been sufficient to whet everyone's appetite without spoiling too much. And for people who've never heard of this project, this seems like the most extravagant advertisement ever for a blind LP by some random guy whose video quality won't be nearly this good.

18-05-2017 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shinryu Offline
Wildcard
Registered

Honestly, my original intention was to post this upon the launch of the game. I admit I probably did jump the gun a bit and accidentally put more pressure on you by posting this early. I eventually settled on trying to make it more of a "it's coming soon" sorta thing, but I guess it ended up being more focused on the results stream than anything. I think I can attribute that to my desire to get the trailer out once it was done (I had been working on it for a solid month or so, and given the amount of other projects and things piling up during it, it sorta got me more and more anxious to finally put it out and get some weight off my shoulders).
18-05-2017 09:57 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
It has come to my attention that people might want a real schedule of events for the announcement livestreams. Here are the planned start times, with multiple time zones listed for your convenience. The plan is to stream for however long I can last before becoming too hungry or tired to continue, most likely 3-4 hours at a clip.

Saturday, May 20 at 7 AM PDT / 10 AM EDT / 3 PM BST / 12 AM AEST (Sunday)

Saturday, May 20 at 4 PM PDT / 7 PM EDT / 12 AM BST / 9 AM AEST (Sunday)

Sunday, May 21 at 11 AM PDT / 2 PM EDT / 7 PM BST / 4 AM AEST (Monday)

I recognize that these times may not be ideal for everyone, but I wanted to offer a wide range of times so that everyone has a chance to attend at least part of a stream during normal waking hours. This also allows ample time for everyone (especially me) to recharge between streams so that we don't get burned out.

Once again, I will be sampling all the submitted levels, not necessarily playing them to 100% completion, to ensure we get to see where everyone placed by the end of the weekend. After the results have been fully revealed, I'll livestream the rest of the game on a "whenever I feel like it" basis until I reach 100% completion.

Important Links:
Stream will take place here on Twitch (Follow me to get an e-mail notification when I go live):
https://www.twitch.tv/flashman85

Archived streams will be uploaded here on YouTube, in case you miss anything:
https://www.youtube.com/c/flashman85live

Notifications when a stream is about to start will happen here:
Official MaGMML2 Discord: https://discord.gg/7332TND
Official Flashman85/GeminiLaser Discord: https://discord.gg/7D7E7m3
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GeminiLaser
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nathanielhoover

Lastly, if you still haven't played MaGMML1, download it here or watch my archived livestream of it here. There WILL be references to the first game, and you'll be sad forever if you're out of the loop.

20-05-2017 04:23 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Here's a quick rundown on what levels have been covered so far. too lazy to do proper formatting sorry

Judge order is (Me, Jupi, Enjl, Garirry, Ace - Total) in terms of scores. GREEN TELEPORTER means it's skippable.

(This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 03:13 AM by SnoruntPyro.)
20-05-2017 10:20 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

An entire MaGMML1 of bad levels.... my goodness.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
20-05-2017 10:23 PM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

You should probably put the results in a spoiler tag. Some people might not want to know the results until they have played the full game.
20-05-2017 11:20 PM
lizardcommando Offline
Regular
Registered

Well, I thought I would have done better, but just by watching that trailer alone, I figured I'd be in the bottom 5 tiers. Not completely terrible and I'm not super shocked by my results looking back. There's lots and lots of room for improvement for sure. It seems like the general consensus was that enemy spam was the biggest issue.

And for the record, I had never played that Super Mario themed level from the first MAGMML contest.
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 01:50 AM by lizardcommando.)
21-05-2017 01:49 AM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

it's after midnight why am i doing this

*ahem* Anyway, here are the results from Tiers 4 through 6 on Flashman's second stream.
Judge order is (Pyro, me, Enjl, Garirry, Ace - Total) in terms of scores. GREEN TELEPORTER means it's skippable.

(This post was last modified: 22-05-2017 01:32 PM by JupiHornet.)
21-05-2017 04:39 AM
SamuraiSushiSlice Offline
Shurikens Miner, Defender of Top Spin
Registered

I can't be the ONLY person who LIKES enemy spam in my Mega Man game, right? It's a war, after all.

May your metal blades always kill everything ever,
May your Top Spin never randomly run out of energy.
May you never use Spark Shock on something other than a boss.
And may Eddie never give you ammo when you need health.
21-05-2017 12:13 PM
lizardcommando Offline
Regular
Registered

(21-05-2017 12:13 PM)SamuraiSushiSlice Wrote:  I can't be the ONLY person who LIKES enemy spam in my Mega Man game, right? It's a war, after all.

Well, there's a right way to do enemy spam and there's a wrong way to do it. I did it the wrong way lol.
21-05-2017 02:07 PM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

Here are the results for Tiers 7 and 8, from Flashman's third stream.
As usual, judge order is (Pyro, me, Enjl, Garirry, Ace - Total) in terms of scores.

(This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 11:29 PM by JupiHornet.)
21-05-2017 11:07 PM
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. TIERS 1-8 REVEALED! TIERS 9-10 TONIGHT!
(21-05-2017 11:07 PM)JupiHornet Wrote:  

FTFY

EDIT: Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2017 11:52 PM by Beed28.)
21-05-2017 11:25 PM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. TIERS 1-8 REVEALED! TIERS 9-10 TONIGHT!
Here are the results for Tiers 9 and 10 from Flashman's fourth and final stream.
As usual, judge order is (Pyro, me, Enjl, Garirry, Ace - Total).

(This post was last modified: 27-05-2017 02:31 AM by JupiHornet.)
22-05-2017 04:44 AM
Smedis2 Offline
Obscurity Fanatic
Registered

Reggae AwardAuto Award
RE: MaGMML2 - RESULTS! THE WINNER IS REVEALED!
NICE. Congrats to Shin!

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
22-05-2017 10:33 AM
Cruise Elroy Offline
Red Ghost with Orange Tie
Registered

22-05-2017 12:20 PM
Shinryu Offline
Wildcard
Registered

Oh man, I can't even begin to tell you how much my heart was racing during last night's reveal stream. Either way, I'm really glad that so many others seemed to enjoy my stage! I have to extend further thanks to Zieldak as well, mainly for helping with the coding on the gimmick of the stage. Without him, my level basically wouldn't exist. If I'm being fully honest though...a part of me feels that my stage didn't even deserve to get the top spot. Personally, I was rooting for NaOH's or Strife's levels to win. Korby and Freeman's level was another I wouldn't have minded seeing in 1st place either.

On that note however, I need to touch upon something I realized last night: I accidentally forgot to include Haunt Man in the trailer. I...really don't have an excuse for this. My apologies to Korby and Freeman in those regards. I had his silhouette and everything all ready in the video, and I just somehow forgot to include it. I'll definitely have to make up for this somehow once I get to that stage during my playthrough series.
22-05-2017 04:08 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
If you missed any part of the results streams (and, really, was anyone aside from me and Z-Saber there for all 20 hours?), I'm now in the process of archiving everything on YouTube. Here's the playlist—I'm uploading each tier as a separate video, so check back every day for new videos until they're all posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...xy5eVFvnbk

Thanks again for the massive turnout! Hopefully I did sufficient justice to everyone's hard work for this contest, participants and developers alike. I'm open to feedback if there's anything you particularly liked or disliked about how these streams panned out.

Officially, I'm waiting until MaGMML2 is released to the public before streaming the game again. As mentioned before, I plan to go back for 100% completion, but it'll just be a casual playthrough at my own pace.

22-05-2017 05:28 PM
gone-sovereign Offline
Regular
Registered

I wrote up a post-contest commentary to go with my level. Felt like I needed to do this, because for all the anxiety I had about my level in the interim period between submission and the results stream, I want to clear a few final things up.

Here's the TL;DR version: I'm utterly shocked my level did as well as it did. This level should not have gone anywhere near the Top 25; the boss was absurd, the music was not good, the level lacked consistency, the graphics I feel left something to be desired. But evidently I managed to put something together that scored reasonably well. I'm happy to have some closure on this, so now I can get back to work. I'll be back for round 3.

And here's the long version:

"You have to understand that people aren't just people -- they're a collection of the choices they have made."
- Peckinpah, House of Gold & Bones Part 3: The Answers
-----------------
DeviantArt
Tumblr
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2017 06:26 PM by gone-sovereign.)
22-05-2017 05:54 PM