MaGMML2 - RELEASE, GO TO THE WEBSITE
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - RESULTS! THE WINNER IS REVEALED!
(22-05-2017 05:28 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  (and, really, was anyone aside from me and Z-Saber there for all 20 hours?)

I was there for the entirety of all the streams!!! ;3

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2017 10:47 PM by Entity1037.)
22-05-2017 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

(22-05-2017 05:28 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  (and, really, was anyone aside from me and Z-Saber there for all 20 hours?)

So was I!
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2017 11:38 PM by Beed28.)
22-05-2017 11:37 PM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

Aside from a minute or two here and there, I was present the whole time. I can't imagine actually playing for that long over a 48-hour period - you have some serious stamina!

I am a bit chagrined that my level didn't get fully shown, but that's definitely not your fault. More than anything, I really, uh, don't think I anticipated what my level could do to someone who wasn't playing it fresh. Between long loading times, demanding platforming, and what really was too big of a stage for my first ever submission, it really would be taxing to someone at the end of a long playing session. I probably should have considered that people playing through EIGHTY Mega Man stages of varying quality in pretty short order might not really be in the best state for something like that! Ah, the perils of first-time design...

Which isn't to say I regret my level, though! Even considering the issues, it did more or less reach the vision I had for it, and I feel REALLY happy to have placed where I did. From the start my only real goal was to place in the top half of the contest, and to have reached halfway up the top half was beyond my expectation. And it was heartening to see that there was a good bit the judges enjoyed about my level, even if there were other aspects that they weren't happy with! It's been a real treat to learn through the process, and I've got a whole lot more appreciation for people who put together whole GAMES of this stuff. And I've got more confidence now that I can really put together something special, especially if I rein myself in more and make something less strenuous.

Doc's LPs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAC65Yx...g0psBcAoOw
Your friendly neighborhood Nidoking!
23-05-2017 12:11 AM
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

I had to choose between sleep and studies, really wish I could have poked in with more fun facts during the streams, I was able to catch you completely play my level wrong tho.
23-05-2017 01:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
OK, bravo to everyone who actually did stick around the entire weekend! I am super impressed.

I will say that how I played everyone's levels on stream isn't necessarily an accurate representation of how I would have tackled them offline. With Renhoek's level, for example, playing it "wrong" was the safest way to ensure I'd get through the stage in a timely fashion. When I'm not concerned with keeping pace for an audience, I'm much more likely to take risks and attempt to do things the "right" way before Wheel Cuttering, Super Arrowing, and E-Tanking my way past every challenge. Doctor Novakaine's level was only as frustrating as it was because I was dying way more easily than I felt I should be, considering I'd already practiced and beaten the level during playtesting, and because the load times between attempts were destroying the pace of the stream. If anything, I was getting upset about not being able to properly showcase a level I really enjoy.

City Under Siege got such a strong reaction from me because it surprised me with a cool concept I don't expect in a Classic Mega Man level—that is, using the visuals to create an atmosphere so immersive that it actually tells a story. You would've heard a similar reaction from me about Sheriff Man, Launch Man, and Quarantine Woman if I hadn't already gotten it out of my system when I playtested those levels. Solid, creative level design gets big smiles and nods of approval from me; but things that defy all expectations, make me feel like I'm right there with the hero, and/or pull off a perfect execution of a clever concept are the ones that get me audibly excited.

No matter where you go, there you are.
23-05-2017 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lizardcommando Offline
Regular
Registered

Just out of curiousity, how much of a significant change to my score would there have been had I toned down the enemy spam in my level? Would it not receive that "Skip" green teleporter and would it have been bumped up to mid Tier 3 or low Tier 4 status?
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 01:44 AM by lizardcommando.)
24-05-2017 01:36 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman AwardTempo Award
Considering that that was the actual big huge major problem with your level I'd say it would jump up to like tier 6 or 7 as long as the new design is actually thoughtful and good. It's an odd question to ask, though, since I'm obviously not playing this hypothetical new version so I can't really say much about it Confused
24-05-2017 02:37 AM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

(24-05-2017 01:36 AM)lizardcommando Wrote:  Just out of curiousity, how much of a significant change to my score would there have been had I toned down the enemy spam in my level? Would it not receive that "Skip" green teleporter and would it have been bumped up to mid Tier 3 or low Tier 4 status?
Looking at my judge sheet, I gave your level a 5/15 in Design and a 2/10 in Fun. So I probably would have wound up giving you a score in the mid-high 30s if you fixed the enemy spam, since it was the main reason for those low scores.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2017 03:23 AM by JupiHornet.)
24-05-2017 03:22 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

I've heard a lot of people complaining about my level (especally Pyro), so, to calm your nerves, I've decided to explain why it is the way it is;
Also, note, I was making this for fun and to enter this contest, not to rank high.
Text incoming! (Click to View)
24-05-2017 02:07 PM
MetalBallade315 Offline
Registered

YES! SHINRYU FTW!
24-05-2017 04:39 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman AwardTempo Award
Fairly late on this but here are the links to all of the judges' score sheets and breakdowns and such:

SnoruntPyro: https://pastebin.com/raw/8Eq709zv
JupiHornet: https://pastebin.com/raw/EuRDtyBX
Enjl: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VFQt_z...A9u4_P3y1g
Garirry: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwNgH5...HkwZE9pYTA
ACESpark: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iVlUCT...3tDNkbI5yQ
25-05-2017 08:08 PM
lizardcommando Offline
Regular
Registered

I noticed that in the wiki, Bowser's weakness says Flash Stopper instead of Wheel Cutter. Super Arrow is correct, however.
26-05-2017 12:41 AM
crawdkenny Offline
Registered

I think there might be a math mistake
12. Flashman85 - Guts Man's Asteroid (44, 45, 42, 37, 42 - 40.0)

The average of those is 42.0, not 40.0. This level should be higher in the rankings.
27-05-2017 02:14 AM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

(27-05-2017 02:14 AM)crawdkenny Wrote:  I think there might be a math mistake
12. Flashman85 - Guts Man's Asteroid (44, 45, 42, 37, 42 - 40.0)

The average of those is 42.0, not 40.0. This level should be higher in the rankings.
The second score is 35, not 45. That was a typo on my behalf.
Thanks for bringing it up so I could fix it, though
27-05-2017 02:31 AM
Giga Offline
Registered

Forgive me for being that guy, but is there a release date planned yet? For example, a few weeks after Flashman has uploaded all his stream archives of the contest? If there is no date planned, that's cool with me, but I'd like some sort of official announcement on that front. I'm sure there are others who are getting impatient as well; however, I don't want you to rush anything.
28-05-2017 01:59 AM
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

There is no final release date just yet. As the full game isn't finished yet, we can't exactly tell when we'll be able to release it.
28-05-2017 02:04 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
A fair number of people on YouTube are asking me for a release date, too. I think it might be worthwhile to update the main post to say something to the effect of, "Contest results have been announced! Now the devteam is adding bonus content and testing thoroughly for bugs. The game will be released...whenever it's ready. Could be weeks. Could be months. It'll be worth the wait!"

I recall we had a similar issue with MaGMML1 where the general public was itching for an update on judging status—even if there's nothing to report, reporting that there's nothing to report can go a long way in keeping fans from becoming frustrated and impatient.

No matter where you go, there you are.
30-05-2017 05:45 PM
Jimmy Turner Offline
Registered

That's cool. I can wait. But you know, I really LOVE the tier bosses. Nice ideas. But if it were me, I have found about 9 female bosses in many fan games that would be awesome for tier bosses (however, Roll would go against them instead of Mega Man). I don't want to tell you what they are. But if you want me to, please feel free to reply.
31-05-2017 12:45 AM
gone-sovereign Offline
Regular
Registered

(31-05-2017 12:45 AM)Jimmy Turner Wrote:  That's cool. I can wait. But you know, I really LOVE the tier bosses. Nice ideas. But if it were me, I have found about 9 female bosses in many fan games that would be awesome for tier bosses (however, Roll would go against them instead of Mega Man). I don't want to tell you what they are. But if you want me to, please feel free to reply.

Not to be rude, but Pyro and the dev team aren't going to replace the tier bosses that are already in the game.

"You have to understand that people aren't just people -- they're a collection of the choices they have made."
- Peckinpah, House of Gold & Bones Part 3: The Answers
-----------------
DeviantArt
Tumblr
(This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 02:04 PM by gone-sovereign.)
31-05-2017 01:52 PM
Jimmy Turner Offline
Registered

(31-05-2017 01:52 PM)gone-sovereign Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 12:45 AM)Jimmy Turner Wrote:  That's cool. I can wait. But you know, I really LOVE the tier bosses. Nice ideas. But if it were me, I have found about 9 female bosses in many fan games that would be awesome for tier bosses (however, Roll would go against them instead of Mega Man). I don't want to tell you what they are. But if you want me to, please feel free to reply.

Not to be rude, but Pyro and the dev team aren't going to replace the tier bosses that are already in the game.

I never said they were going to replace them; those were just "ideas" that came to me. Yeah, it probably won't happen; they just came to me for some reason.
31-05-2017 03:06 PM