MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. JUDGING COMPLETE, GAME SOON (?)!!
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. TESTING OPEN!
We originally wanted January 1st, but it seems we need more time. The current idea is around mid-January.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
31-12-2016 05:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
The contest rules have been updated. Don't leak your level to the judges or else you'll receive a score penalty.
31-12-2016 10:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

I'm surprised the rules hasn't yet clarified the fact that you have unlimited lives in this and the resulting new role the 1-UP helmet has now.
01-01-2017 01:36 AM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
That's not really anything a rule should cover, it's more "a new thing about the game", really.

01-01-2017 10:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(01-01-2017 01:36 AM)Beed28 Wrote:  I'm surprised the rules hasn't yet clarified the fact that you have unlimited lives in this and the resulting new role the 1-UP helmet has now.
(01-01-2017 10:19 AM)ACESpark Wrote:  That's not really anything a rule should cover, it's more "a new thing about the game", really.

Still, I think it's important to mention that detail in the contest description. It's a fundamental difference from any other Mega Man game that may impact level design, especially if people don't realize that the 1-Up helmet now functions differently. To that end, I think it's also important to clarify whether every level will be mandatory in order to beat the game, or whether there will be an option to skip or bypass some of them. I know I would've structured my MaGMML1 entry a little differently if lives were infinite, or if I had understood that players of every skill level HAD to beat my level to see the end of the game.

No matter where you go, there you are.
01-01-2017 05:59 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
(01-01-2017 05:59 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  To that end, I think it's also important to clarify whether every level will be mandatory in order to beat the game, or whether there will be an option to skip or bypass some of them.
To reach the Wily Fortress, you won't have to get every element (maybe only get 75% of them...?), but there will be a reward for getting them all. Plus I plan to make any levels that are way too hard skippable.

I'll update the main post with extra info, too, in an hour or so. Maybe with submission stuff too even though it hasn't opened yet?
01-01-2017 10:19 PM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

@Flashman:
True, but it's still not exactly a contest "rule", and would fall under guidelines if anything. Yes I agree that any differences in the engine or to official Mega Man games need to be told up front.

01-01-2017 11:33 PM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

Also agreed, if something functions differently from normal then it's good to highlight that.

I do like that there are infinite lives, though. I think that makes a lot more sense for a contest-type deal like this. VLDC9 finally did that as well.
02-01-2017 03:49 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Devkit has been updated again! The collision system has been redone by Stove Guy so hopefully moving platforms should be MUCH more stable now. Plus the game now comes with a manual for most, if not all the objects with special creation code options~!

ALSO WE MIGHT OPEN SUBMISSIONS SOON!! I'm really hoping for end of the week but it depends on if we accidentally run into new huge bugs or something (plus there's some major stuff that still has to be fixed like MM3 tile sliders....)

Also i updated the main post finally lol.........
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 10:24 PM by SnoruntPyro.)
03-01-2017 10:09 PM
ACESpark Offline
Administrators

For those wondering just what exactly we have for example bosses this time round.. now, bearing in mind the original contest didn't have any...

04-01-2017 12:22 AM
Beed28 Offline
Registered

Hmm, I exported a few rooms of my own and the object which will control my level gimmick I was working on, but my rooms that I had imported into the new devkit had all of their objects erased (the tiles were left intact, however).
04-01-2017 12:49 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

I suggest exporting everything at once and importing the resources one by one, starting with sprites.
Trust me, It works.
04-01-2017 05:57 PM
Beed28 Offline
Registered

I have two questions so far about Nobel Nickels:
  • If there are any in the stage, do you have to collect them all in one go for them to register?
  • Does collecting them instantly give you them, or do you have to reach the level exit first?

(04-01-2017 05:57 PM)BBLIR Wrote:  I suggest exporting everything at once and importing the resources one by one, starting with sprites.
Trust me, It works.

That seems to work for the time being. Cheers!
05-01-2017 06:38 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
No, Noble Nickels are individual and are saved the moment you get them. At least, that's what's planned.
06-01-2017 02:12 AM
BBLIR Offline
Casual game developer
Registered

Are custom Yoku Blocks possible with this engine without chainging their sprite (possibly using the Object setter)?
It would be kinda cool.
07-01-2017 12:44 PM
Beed28 Offline
Registered

Alright, I need some testers for my level concept I've been working on. The level itself is not completely finished, but it is in a somewhat playable state. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.
07-01-2017 04:55 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(07-01-2017 04:55 PM)Beed28 Wrote:  Alright, I need some testers for my level concept I've been working on.

I'll throw this out there: I'm willing to playtest anyone's level; just shoot me a PM. I've got a lot of Mega Man and critical review experience under my belt, and you have my word that I won't steal your ideas for my own level or leak the details of your level to anyone else.

No matter where you go, there you are.
07-01-2017 06:42 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
(07-01-2017 12:44 PM)BBLIR Wrote:  Are custom Yoku Blocks possible with this engine without chainging their sprite (possibly using the Object setter)?
What do you mean by 'custom'? You can change the timing and sprites of yoku blocks with creation code variables. Check the Object Documentation text file for the options.

Btw - we're really hoping for submissions to open Monday but I don't want to confirm it just yet in case some huge bug pops up.
07-01-2017 07:40 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Hey devkit's updated again whee!!!!
08-01-2017 05:09 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
I feel bad for triple posting but oh well ;p But uuuh, yeah!!! Cool announcement :3

SUBMISSIONS ARE OPENING TOMORROW, AT 12:00 PM EST!!!

Once 12 pm hits the devkit will update for the last time (hopefully) and then levels can GO!!! I'm super hyped for how this is gonna turn out <3~
09-01-2017 06:08 AM