MaGMML2 - RESULTS! THE WINNER IS REVEALED!
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. TESTING OPEN!
Yes, finally! I'm really looking forward to seeing/judging the levels that come out of this 8)
09-01-2017 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Beed28 Offline
The world is more fun when it's all bouncy.
Registered

What day will be the deadline?

EDIT: I see it on the OP, please disregard.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 03:08 PM by Beed28.)
09-01-2017 01:57 PM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Some stuff took longer than expected so the release will have to be pushed to 12:30 probably!! Sorry about this!!!!

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!! LEVELS ARE DUE FEB 13

Link to Devkit
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 05:36 PM by SnoruntPyro.)
09-01-2017 04:58 PM
Thoron Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: MaGMML2 - Rules + Discussion. SUBMISSIONS OPEN, LEVELS DUE FEB 13
(07-01-2017 06:42 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  I'll throw this out there: I'm willing to playtest anyone's level; just shoot me a PM. I've got a lot of Mega Man and critical review experience under my belt, and you have my word that I won't steal your ideas for my own level or leak the details of your level to anyone else.

I'll definitely take advantage of that one. Thanks Flashman!

(09-01-2017 06:08 AM)SnoruntPyro Wrote:  I feel bad for triple posting but oh well ;p But uuuh, yeah!!! Cool announcement :3

SUBMISSIONS ARE OPENING TOMORROW, AT 12:00 PM EST!!!

Once 12 pm hits the devkit will update for the last time (hopefully) and then levels can GO!!! I'm super hyped for how this is gonna turn out <3~

Alright! TIme to inform the other sites.
09-01-2017 06:55 PM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

Cool! I'm going to do my best!

I have a question, though. Can you define what "leaking" a level means? Say, if I have a question about whether something's allowed when I'm making my level and I ask that, would that constitute leaking? Because I may have some questions.
10-01-2017 02:31 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Like, saying something specific about your level, like putting a concrete screenshot of the level in a place the judges can see it, or saying which level is yours in the thread or something. Or putting your username in the level itself.
10-01-2017 02:36 AM
iYamWhatIYam Offline
MrKyurem's Bitch
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
it's time to do the thing with the program that does the making of the stages with the enemies with the player and the objects and the aesthetics

Mike Crain Wrote:lol i take history with a grain of salt, because it's always written by the victors
and i wasnt there
- Mike Crain; May 2, 2016
10-01-2017 03:24 AM
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

(10-01-2017 02:36 AM)SnoruntPyro Wrote:  Like, saying something specific about your level, like putting a concrete screenshot of the level in a place the judges can see it, or saying which level is yours in the thread or something. Or putting your username in the level itself.

Okay, I think that's clear...so if I PM you a question about whether something's allowed within the rules, it wouldn't be leaking?
10-01-2017 05:51 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
Yeah, that wouldn't be leaking. And either way, with me it won't be possible to keep everything anonymous because I have to insert stuff so I won't penalize if you give minor spoilers for your level only to me.
10-01-2017 06:01 AM
Frisky Scarfy Offline
Registered

Cool! Seems like I would be able to make something!Big GrinBig Grin It's really difficult to find your time when you have schoolMM - Frown
10-01-2017 10:54 AM
Cruise Elroy Offline
Red Ghost with Orange Tie
Registered

My level's already been submitted.

...uh, guess I'll just have to wait for the judges, then.
11-01-2017 03:17 AM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Lol, you're probably going to have to wait for quite a bit. Because after judging, level's have to be inserted, hub worlds and tier bosses have to be made, and the Wily Fortress has to be made.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
11-01-2017 09:02 AM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

(11-01-2017 03:17 AM)Cruise Elroy Wrote:  My level's already been submitted.

...uh, guess I'll just have to wait for the judges, then.
You'll have to wait for the deadline first XP
11-01-2017 02:49 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
I only skimmed through the tutorial videos, so forgive me if this has already been addressed: Is there a list somewhere of all the enemies with variations, and are there directions on how to handle any objects that require a Creation Code to function properly (eg, the floating sign), or that need to be placed in a certain way or in conjunction with other objects (eg, the blocks that blow up when you defeat a miniboss)? Many of us are familiar enough with GameMaker or the devkit to look at the example stages or the object code and figure these things out for ourselves, but I suspect many newcomers won't realize the full potential of the devkit without some help.

No matter where you go, there you are.
11-01-2017 03:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
There is an object documentation text file in the devkit which details all the creation code for the pre-built assets.

11-01-2017 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cruise Elroy Offline
Red Ghost with Orange Tie
Registered

(11-01-2017 09:02 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  Lol, you're probably going to have to wait for quite a bit. Because after judging, level's have to be inserted, hub worlds and tier bosses have to be made, and the Wily Fortress has to be made.

(11-01-2017 02:49 PM)JupiHornet Wrote:  You'll have to wait for the deadline first XP

Well yeah, I'll have to wait for the main game to be done and wait for the deadline, obviously, haha. I'm just saying that, for now, my work is done.
11-01-2017 09:14 PM
Ndraxian0 Offline
Apparently Posts Alot
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Rush AwardSaga AwardTempo AwardInafune AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE Contributor
Quick rule verification: You mentioned we can have up to three energy elements in a level... If you have more than one, are they meant to be treated as alternate exits, or will the player playing the game have to acquire all of them by playing the level over?

Christianity is my faith not my religion. And neither should be pushed upon people.

Quote:(10:52:07) Jace: Screw the rules, you have Mistresses
12-01-2017 02:22 AM
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Wedge AwardRockman Award
(12-01-2017 02:22 AM)Ndraxian0 Wrote:  Quick rule verification: You mentioned we can have up to three energy elements in a level... If you have more than one, are they meant to be treated as alternate exits, or will the player playing the game have to acquire all of them by playing the level over?
The latter. They'll basically be treated the same as the keyhole secret exits from Super Mario World.
12-01-2017 02:47 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(11-01-2017 03:15 PM)ACESpark Wrote:  There is an object documentation text file in the devkit which details all the creation code for the pre-built assets.

OOPS. My, what a long and detailed list you have.

(12-01-2017 02:47 AM)SnoruntPyro Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 02:22 AM)Ndraxian0 Wrote:  Quick rule verification: You mentioned we can have up to three energy elements in a level... If you have more than one, are they meant to be treated as alternate exits, or will the player playing the game have to acquire all of them by playing the level over?
The latter. They'll basically be treated the same as the keyhole secret exits from Super Mario World.

Better yet, they're like the Stars in Super Mario 64. The more you collect, the more of the game (in this case, the Wily stages and some undisclosed bonus) you unlock.

I suppose there are multiple ways you could use the Energy Elements, right? Like, you could have your level split into two or three paths, and there's an Energy Element at the end of each one. Or your level could be totally linear and progressively harder as it goes, with an Energy Element at each checkpoint for the players who can't keep up with the difficulty (though you'd still need to play the level multiple times to collect all the Energy Elements). Or you could have a maze or a big circle and there are Energy Elements hidden around the level, so it's a scavenger hunt rather than a race to the exit.

No matter where you go, there you are.
12-01-2017 02:46 PM
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

Quote:Or you could have a maze or a big circle and there are Energy Elements hidden around the level, so it's a scavenger hunt rather than a race to the exit.

Oh.

Oh no.

Please have mercy based Flashman.
12-01-2017 04:03 PM