The Nintendo Switch discussion thread
Wanderer Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 10
The Nintendo Switch discussion thread
So, last Thursday we got the first official reveal of Nintendo's next gaming system, formerly known as the NX. It's now officially called the Nintendo Switch, and it's designed to be a hybrid console/portable system.

Here's the announcement trailer showing how it works.

It has a docking station you can put it in that outputs the gameplay to your TV, turning it into a console. Take it out of the dock, and it instantly "switches" into a mobile gaming tablet.

It has these mini handheld controllers called "Joy-Con" controllers, that are like an evolution of the Wii Remotes. You can hold the two Joy-Cons in your hands to play, or you can mount them in a "Joy-Con Grip" frame to turn them into something vaguely resembling a traditional controller, or you can attach them to the sides of the Switch, turning it into essentially a Wii U Gamepad. You can even have two players hold them sideways and use them as separate controllers for two-player gameplay (this looks kind of awkward, though). There is also a "Switch Pro Controller" which looks like a traditional controller.

It uses cartridges instead of discs, since there's not really any room for a disc drive on it. That means no backwards compatibility with Wii U game discs or 3DS cartridges. Not sure about downloadable games, though. I wonder what kind of Virtual Console support it'll have.

In the trailer, we can see The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild being played on it, along with a new Mario game, Mario Kart, Splatoon, NBA 2k17, and most surprisingly (to me at least), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I wonder if it'll have mod support.

No more second-screen support, which is kind of disappointing, but I guess not many games were really using it that well on Wii U and this way it's easier for third-party developers to develop for.

So, thoughts?
24-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Find Reply
Wave Offline
Resident holy man of Uluru
Registered

Threads: 5
RE: The Nintendo Switch discussion thread
A home console with cartridges, in this day and age. That's awesome.

m8
24-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Find Reply
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 70
I'm intrigued by what they are doing with the Switch. The entire portable part being the actual console is definitely a risk by Nintendo. But it looks like they're trying to create/recreate the social gaming aspect that used to exist from the NES to GC days when people would physically get together and play.

Few things I'm skeptical about so far:
- the Joy-Con things look ridiculously small. Someone mentioned that they're slightly smaller than the NES Controller, which I've come to realize feel very small in my hands currently. On top of that, the location of the analog sticks on both of them are different, due to how the placement is when it's in the full controller mode, having one analog lower than the other.
- Moving parts. What I mean by this is the constant shifting of the Joy-Cons between the adapter, the Console itself, being used separately...Materials are made on the cheap nowadays, and the way the Joy-Cons clip onto the console, it'd really suck to be holding that up, and suddenly both of them give way and the entire console crashes down to the floor. While my hope is they will be made of a less-wearable plastic, who's to say right now. anytime moving parts are involved, there is the likelihood of things breaking. Case in point: the original analog stick on the N64 coupled with Mario Party.

Positives so far? I like what they're trying to do. It is a very interesting concept. It's kinda piggybacking on the ability of the WiiU to play the full game on the GamePad. Hopefully the specs back it up, as it's been shown to play Skyrim, not to mention Breath of the Wild is supposed to be a HUGE game. Will have to wait and see what else develops.

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
24-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Website Find Reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Threads: 14
(24-10-2016, 12:42 PM)Rhythm Wrote: Hopefully the specs back it up, as it's been shown to play Skyrim, not to mention Breath of the Wild is supposed to be a HUGE game.

[Image: bya2aiT.jpg]

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
24-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Find Reply
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

Threads: 1
The Switch is an EXTREMELY interesting idea and I'm very intrigued by how it's going to work out.

As I said in the chat, I'm still quite worried about the business decision and I do kinda fear that the separation of handheld and console might die, but overall I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Nintendo. We'll see if it's a good business choice and how it's going to work out.

(forgets to finish the post and comes back 5 hours later to see that I still didn't post it Sad )

Anyway, I'm really curious to see how this works out. Hopefully it's great!
25-10-2016, 01:46 AM
Website Find Reply
solarboy Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Nintendo has been improving their marketing, wonder if Kimishima has something to do with it?
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/Qpdfg5km60w[/video]
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2016, 03:36 PM by solarboy.)
18-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Find Reply
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Just a reminder that tonight at 8pm PST (do your own math) Nintendo will be showcasing some stuff regarding the Switch, possibly with details about launch titles, accessories, price, launch date, etc. We will see.

12-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Website Find Reply
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Hell of a presentation last night. Here's what we know:

-March 3rd Release Date
-Initial price of $299.99
-Up to 8 Switch consoles can be linked up for a local Wi-Fi party thing
-USB-C port on the underside for charging

Seems to be a major focus of local multiplayer with the Joy-Cons and some of the games.

Oh the games...
  • 1-2-Switch which is an odd 1v1 head to head game that is more literally face to face
  • ARMS which is a crazy battle game where you fight each other with spring-loaded boxing arms. It's silly looking and incredibly awesome looking at the same time
  • Super Mario Odyssey which pits Mario in crazy new locations but looks fun like back in Mario64 and Sunshine. Some people allude it to Sonic '06
  • Splatoon 2 announced
  • Xenoblade 2 shown
  • new SMT for its 25th
  • Fire Emblem Warriors announced
  • Breath of the Wild announced as a Launch Title
  • MarioKart 8 Deluxe with a better looking battle mode, new items (feather, ghost) and playable Inklings and a Splatoon track/arena
  • Super Bomberman R announced
  • Sonic Mania
Also saw glimpses in a montage of what looks like DB Xenovrrse, a hovering car racing game (new F-Zero perhaps?), and I even saw a cleaner version of Street Fighter II

All in all? Extremely impressed

(This post was last modified: 13-01-2017, 12:51 PM by Rhythm.)
13-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Traidon Offline
The Centurion Ninja of Tuturu~
Registered

Threads: 7
So many fun things. I wonder what other launch titles there are going to be though. Probably the 1 2 switch thing and maybe the splatoon?

Imagination has the power to change everything
You should enjoy the little detours, to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want
Believe in justice and hold a determination to fist

13-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Find Reply
RezonAce Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 3
Update: Super Bomberman R is confirmed as a launch title!

Also I just preordered my Switch allotment.
13-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Find Reply
Linzodakatz Offline
Pastman Pot
Registered

So Mario's taking a break from the Mushroom Kingdom and going into a new world?

Wow

This is like the first Mario and Luigi game:o

Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo
13-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Website Find Reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Threads: 195
As sweet as some of these things look, (and honestly, Mario Odyssey looks like the successor to Mario Galaxy I've been waiting for, weirdly proportioned humans aside), but before I go out pre-ordering this thing... I kind of need to know what the third party support is going to be like? Even entering the Wii U "market" late like I did... there's a significant game drought. First party Nintendo games, as good as they are, only go so far.

Hopefully we do get some heavy hitters this time round.

13-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Website Find Reply
Gaia Offline
Offical Sprites INC Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Threads: 5
You don't have to worry about that ace, as there's plenty of third party titles to go around with the conformation of Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus), Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software), Super Bomberman R (Hudson), Sonic Mania (Sega), Puyo Puyo Tetris (Sega), Skyrim (Bethesda), Madden (EA), and Fifa (EA) coming to the switch!

I needed to repeat that as EA and Bethesda are major third party developers in gaming! If Nintendo scored them, others will likely follow suit, such as Platinum Games!

Just remember, if they hold is true, it should be an easier devkit than the Wii U for independent developers like Yacht Games to make it easier to port games like Shovel Knight to the new system. This would definately make up for the lack of third party titles on the Wii U indeed~

[Image: 345y4jt.jpg]

Quote:(20:08:09) Gaia: jace hey jace
(20:08:16) Gaia: children's card games is on
(20:09:27) Jace: ...
(20:09:35) Jace: How the HELL did you know I put that on my TV
(01:30:24) Rhythm_BCA: be yourself and don't pretend to be what you think they think you should be
(This post was last modified: 13-01-2017, 06:37 PM by Gaia.)
13-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Find Reply
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

I really like a lot of things about the Switch. I feel like Nintendo is going the slow start route as usual and will eventually expand the library and/or reduce the console price and whatnot when they notice the first year sales are horrible (like the 3DS). My only concern is paid online, seriously why??? If nowadays I can play online for free on Steam, as well as have a Skype/Discord live chat also for free, I don't see why I should be paying for any online service in 2017.
13-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Wanderer Offline
Still Here
Registered

You have to pay for Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus, so why should Nintendo's service be any different? Expecting free online services just isn't that viable.
13-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

(13-01-2017, 09:39 PM)Wanderer Wrote: You have to pay for Xbox Live and PlayStation Plus, so why should Nintendo's service be any different? Expecting free online services just isn't that viable.

As I said, the features they're offering are free on PC, you can have a great gaming environment thanks to Steam, and you can do voice chat and even video chat using Skype or Discord. All for free. I'm not a PCMR guy but I wish console costs were at least reasonable.
13-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Website Find Reply
Wanderer Offline
Still Here
Registered

Considering the financial situation Nintendo is in, it doesn't seem realistic to expect them to offer a free online service.
13-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Find Reply
Cruise Elroy Offline
Red Ghost with Orange Tie
Registered

Threads: 0
Odyssey really has my attention; it's pretty much everything I've wanted in a 3D Mario game for a long time now! ...well, everything besides the gargantuan humans, but that's something I'm not really that weirded out by.
14-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Find Reply
Wanderer Offline
Still Here
Registered

That is kinda weird; this means Mario isn't a human! Because now we know what humans in Mario's universe look like, and they don't look like him. So what the hell is Mario?!
14-01-2017, 01:03 AM
Find Reply
Linzodakatz Offline
Pastman Pot
Registered

(14-01-2017, 01:03 AM)Wanderer Wrote: That is kinda weird; this means Mario isn't a human! Because now we know what humans in Mario's universe look like, and they don't look like him. So what the hell is Mario?!

A Plumber

Duh

Licensed Game=Cash In

Well, most of the time anywho

-Linzo
14-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Website Find Reply