[Fan Game] OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure)
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure)
For better or for worse, Sniper Joes and their ilk are a staple of the Mega Man franchise. Although the official games are good about continually introducing new types of Joes, fangames tend to gravitate toward the same few varieties, and both the official and unofficial games keep using Joes in the same few configurations. How many times have you seen a Joe, with no other enemies or hazards around, blocking your way forward? I say it's time to shake things up.

OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure) sends Proto Man on a mission to reclaim his stolen Proto Shield from a fortress full of Joes. This isn't a typical fangame with a stage select and eight Robot Masters to choose from; this is an exploration of the untapped potential of an iconic enemy type. The game is relatively short, but difficult enough to keep you busy for an afternoon...and per the feedback I've heard about "Maze of Death" and my Mega Man Endless levels, there's a big emphasis on learning curve, and checkpoints and power-ups are plentiful. OH JOES! is designed for hardcore fans like me, but I want it to be accessible to everyone.

Given the short length of the game, I won't be releasing a demo, but I'll periodically add new screenshots to this post.

Screenshots (pardon the placeholder graphics; updated screenshots will be posted as real graphics are implemented):

Concept art:

Status as of May 17, 2017:

The level design is more or less finalized, aside from making adjustments based on playtester feedback. I'm now tidying up the programming, adding extra features, and implementing real graphics.

I'm currently dividing my focus between this and other projects, so the game will be released whenever it's ready.

Currently implemented features:
- Stable game engine (based on Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 1) with programming assistance from Renhoek, Blyka, SnoruntPyro, and Entity1037
- Fully scripted intro cutscene
- 4 levels, with multiple paths and a few secrets
- 7 types of Joes and around a dozen hazards from Mega Man 1-10
- Multiple playable characters, including Proto Man and Break Man, with different abilities
- Multiple difficulty settings
- Customizable controls and charge shot SFX
- Game Over screen with randomized gameplay tips
- Autosaving between levels

Features currently in development:
- Actual stage graphics (15% complete)
- Original soundtrack (66% complete) composed by CosmicGem, Jasper Valentine, and Flashman85

Planned features:
- Actual cutscene and menu graphics
- Snazzy credits sequence
- Digital instruction manual
- Alternate language options
- Probably some miscellaneous other stuff

Stay tuned for updates!

No matter where you go, there you are.
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2017 03:36 AM by Flashman85.)
24-11-2016 07:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garirry Offline
gg no re
MaGMML Judge

RE: OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure)
Niiice! I think this is an interesting concept and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

(by the way, the images don't appear to be showing up)
24-11-2016 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(24-11-2016 08:22 AM)Garirry Wrote:  (by the way, the images don't appear to be showing up)

Hm. They worked fine for me, but I've now linked to them on a different image hosting service. If they're still not showing up, lemme know.

24-11-2016 02:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rokim21 Offline
Obscure games deserve respect!
Registered

Will you use Mega Engine?
24-11-2016 08:16 PM
TruffleQ Offline
Registered

This sounds like it will be good. Although it isn't surprising that Sniper Joes would factor in somehow (given your disgust, for lack of a better word, toward their overall use in the Megaman games), I personally wasn't expecting them to be such a large focus for your fangame.
24-11-2016 08:32 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

(24-11-2016 08:16 PM)Rokim21 Wrote:  Will you use Mega Engine?

(24-11-2016 07:15 AM)Flashman85 Wrote:  - Stable game engine (based on Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest) with programming assistance from Renhoek, Blyka, SnoruntPyro, and Entity1037

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
25-11-2016 12:00 AM
Rokim21 Offline
Obscure games deserve respect!
Registered

The engine of the first or the second game?
25-11-2016 02:56 PM
InfinitiZero Offline
JKN-Infiniti
Registered

Nathaniel, are you making this game?
25-11-2016 04:14 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(24-11-2016 08:32 PM)TruffleQ Wrote:  Although it isn't surprising that Sniper Joes would factor in somehow (given your disgust, for lack of a better word, toward their overall use in the Megaman games), I personally wasn't expecting them to be such a large focus for your fangame.

I would say more exhaustion than disgust. If this had just been a regular fangame, I wouldn't have used Joes at all, or else used them as throwaway gags like in my MaGMML level. I wanted to demonstrate that there are still a host of interesting and challenging ways that Joes can be used, with the hope of encouraging game designers to try new things with them. Anything less than "all Joes all the time" would've either been too subtle to have the impact I want, or too obnoxiously laden with Joes to feel balanced. An all-Joe level in a larger fangame would have also worked (à la MM4 Wily 1 with the Hard Hats), but this was my first attempt at a Mega Man game, so I wanted to start small.

(25-11-2016 02:56 PM)Rokim21 Wrote:  The engine of the first or the second game?

The first. I started working on this shortly after MaGMML1 and have a lot of programming invested in the engine already; MaGMML2's engine is still in development.

(25-11-2016 04:14 PM)InfinitiZero Wrote:  Nathaniel, are you making this game?

I'm doing the bulk of it, yes, but I've gotten a lot of help from other people (who are credited in the progress update bullets).

25-11-2016 05:03 PM
InfinitiZero Offline
JKN-Infiniti
Registered

'K.
25-11-2016 11:13 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Small update: I subjected two of my friends to the current build of the game, and I made some important changes based on their feedback and how they played. You can thank them for the more favorable item drop rate, among other things. I should be wrapping up the level design in the next few days, and I've started addressing a few items on my "Things to Fix" list that have been bugging me. Overall, progress remains steady.

28-11-2016 06:50 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Update: I've decided to add a fourth stage to the game, so let's add another two weeks to the estimated development time. The good news is that the levels I had planned to have finished by the end of November have been done for a couple days, so I'm doing pretty well so far with sticking to my schedule. In the meantime, I've updated the original post with more details on the current status, and I've added a new screenshot.

05-12-2016 05:49 AM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

THAT SECTION WITH THE QUICK LASERS LOOKS SO FUN AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
05-12-2016 06:59 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Hello all! New screenshot for you and a progress update; details in the original post.

(05-12-2016 06:59 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  THAT SECTION WITH THE QUICK LASERS LOOKS SO FUN AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Is that a scream of joy? Could be pain. I'll assume it's joy.

21-12-2016 06:10 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
FYI, I've been silently updating the main post every 1-2 weeks with progress details. I owe you one more screenshot after this latest round of playtesting feedback is taken in, and then I'll be able to start replacing the current screenshots with ones that feature actual graphics.

19-01-2017 06:49 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Status update! Check the original post for new details and new screenshots. Remember: PLACEHOLDER GRAPHICS.

On that subject...is anyone interested in drawing me a more professional title screen logo and/or turning my concept sketch for the Game Over screen into something pretty and 8-bit? Let me know if you're interested before starting work on anything; I've got an idea in mind of how I'd like the graphics to look, and I'd rather coordinate with one or two people than turn this into an art contest.

25-03-2017 06:49 PM
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

I'm redoing your game over art to look nice like official art. sorry if I sound kinda blunt or rude.
11-04-2017 07:09 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(11-04-2017 07:09 PM)GavinDragon Wrote:  I'm redoing your game over art to look nice like official art. sorry if I sound kinda blunt or rude.

I'll take that to mean, "I'm interested in turning your rough concept sketch into fine pixel art to fill the black space at the top of your Game Over screen." If that is the case, then please be my guest! Here it is again, for easy reference:

[Image: OHJOESgameoversketch_zpspdzi0ypg.jpg]
(Clockwise from the top: MM2 Sniper Mech, MM4 Skeleton Joe, MM5 Crystal Joe, MM2 Returning Sniper Joe, yet-to-be-named but generic-looking Joe carrying the Proto Shield [I can supply the in-game sprite], MM3 Hammer Joe, MM9 Machine Gun Joe)

That's the only thing I need for the Game Over screen right now; I will eventually replace the placeholder graphics for the continue menu and the randomized gameplay tip box.

11-04-2017 08:41 PM
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

(11-04-2017 08:41 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 07:09 PM)GavinDragon Wrote:  I'm redoing your game over art to look nice like official art. sorry if I sound kinda blunt or rude.

I'll take that to mean, "I'm interested in turning your rough concept sketch into fine pixel art to fill the black space at the top of your Game Over screen." If that is the case, then please be my guest! Here it is again, for easy reference:

[Image: OHJOESgameoversketch_zpspdzi0ypg.jpg]
(Clockwise from the top: MM2 Sniper Mech, MM4 Skeleton Joe, MM5 Crystal Joe, MM2 Returning Sniper Joe, yet-to-be-named but generic-looking Joe carrying the Proto Shield [I can supply the in-game sprite], MM3 Hammer Joe, MM9 Machine Gun Joe)

That's the only thing I need for the Game Over screen right now; I will eventually replace the placeholder graphics for the continue menu and the randomized gameplay tip box.

i meant i was redrawing it sorry i wasn't clear. i'm not very good at doing sprites. i'll try to do that for you but it probably wont be nearly as good as some other people. i am almost done with the sketch though. sorry again Gemini Lazer.

that is the one i did based off your drawing i would be happy to do it in sprites but i don't know how good it will look but i will try.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 12:08 AM by Blackmore Darkwing.)
11-04-2017 10:51 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Neat sketch! Definitely more professional than mine. Don't worry about turning anything into pixel art if that's not your strong suit; I didn't mean to sign you up for anything you weren't planning on doing.

12-04-2017 04:49 PM