[Fan Game] OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure)
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

RE: OH JOES! (A Proto Man Adventure)
but now i kinda want to...just to try and get better.
12-04-2017 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

theres how far i am with the digital version i've been working on it for a majority of the day. sorry if its not to your standards flashman.
12-04-2017 10:31 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
OH BOY OH BOY! The main post has been updated with a screenshot containing ACTUAL GRAPHICS. This is finally starting to look like a real game!

(12-04-2017 10:31 PM)GavinDragon Wrote:  theres how far i am with the digital version i've been working on it for a majority of the day. sorry if its not to your standards flashman.

That's coming along nicely! I want to see how Z-Saber's cutscene art looks before promising to use anything—the graphical style should be consistent across the game—but I can definitely find a way to include your art even if it doesn't end up being the official Game Over screen.

No matter where you go, there you are.
14-04-2017 03:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Renhoek Offline
Made an account to use once or twice.
Registered

Oh man that break man costume's really clever
14-04-2017 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nikster31 Offline
Regular
Registered

Does Proto Man play as he does in Mega Man 9 and 10?
17-04-2017 07:33 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(17-04-2017 07:33 PM)Nikster31 Wrote:  Does Proto Man play as he does in Mega Man 9 and 10?

Good heavens, no. He's actually fun to use.

Proto Man handles like the Proto Man costume in MaGMML1, or like Mega Man in MM5. Slide, big charge shot, three little shots on the screen at once, normal knockback and damage.

You can also play as Break Man. He can slide, but he's got better armor than Proto Man (so, reduced damage from enemies) and his little shots do twice the usual damage...except he can't charge, and he can only have two shots on the screen at once. Nobody's playtested the whole game with Break Man yet (not even me), but the two characters seem pretty balanced so far, and their core mechanics change the gameplay in a meaningful way.

Neither one has a shield, because the premise of the game is that the Proto Shield has been stolen by a thieving Joe. This may or may not dovetail with my inability to figure out how to make a shield deflect projectiles when I started this project.

17-04-2017 08:00 PM
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

just an idea but maybe make a cheat that makes him like he does in powered up higher jump every shot is a giant charge shot and is entirely broken to use just a silly idea
17-04-2017 08:32 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
New screenshot! The look of the level in question isn't finalized yet, but this should at least give an idea of the direction.

(17-04-2017 08:32 PM)GavinDragon Wrote:  just an idea but maybe make a cheat that makes him like he does in powered up higher jump every shot is a giant charge shot and is entirely broken to use just a silly idea

I probably won't go that route, but I do have plans for one or two more playable characters, so you might get your "entirely broken" wish!

20-04-2017 12:55 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Another new screenshot with REAL GRAPHICS! Check the original post.

Some external playtesting happened this week; the game has now been beaten with a reasonable amount of practice on both Normal and Easy modes by someone who isn't me. This should be reassuring to anyone who's still concerned this will be Maze of Death, But With More Joes.

18-05-2017 03:42 AM
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

Flashman schools almost out and i have a lot of time on my hands mind if i sketch out a box art for you? ((not a sprite couldn't finish the last one gotta be clear x3))

Got it done kinda sneek peek go
in the corner it says water fairy approved i said i was gonna add it so i did sorry its so hard to see
(This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 06:03 PM by GavinDragon.)
23-05-2017 07:54 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
That box art looks great! If you scan and send me a finalized version, I would totally put that on the cover of the instruction manual.

I'm pleased to announce that a new screenshot has been posted (and I rearranged the order of screenshots so they look better next to each other).

31-05-2017 06:01 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
More updated screenshots for you! Check the original post.

12-06-2017 04:15 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
Good news! Got a few more new and updated screenshots for you; check the original post.

The biggest item on my to-do list (adding stage graphics) is finally finished, so now I get to tinker with all the little stuff that's been bugging me for months. This means the game will be ready to circulate to a larger group of playtesters within the next week or two, assuming no unforeseen catastrophes arise. After that, I'll follow up with the people contributing music and cutscene graphics, and when the game is pretty much finalized, I'll start formally enlisting the help of the folks who've volunteered to translate the game text into other languages. Spanish will definitely be an option, and I've had offers for German, Russian, French, Latin, and several different flavors (sorry, flavours) of English.

If you have any comments about the screenshots, are interested in playtesting, or might be able to translate the game text into a language not mentioned above (disclaimer: there's a surprising amount of text for such a short game), I'd love to hear from you!

25-07-2017 05:30 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
I haven't posted a formal update for a while, even though I've been quietly updating the main post periodically. So...new screenshot! The game's in really good shape, and aside from a few items that I'll need other people to help me with, it's mostly just tweaking and polishing at this point. I won't make any big promises or predictions, but I'm HOPING to have this all wrapped up before the end of the year. Hopefully I'll surprise myself and be done in the next month.

19-09-2017 11:46 PM
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
Good Job. But would you consider changing his Items to the items he used in MM10 like Item2 to Protoshield Jet?
20-09-2017 10:39 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
(20-09-2017 10:39 PM)Zynk Wrote:  Good Job. But would you consider changing his Items to the items he used in MM10 like Item2 to Protoshield Jet?

Thanks. The weapon selection is very deliberate, and each playable character has a different arsenal. Proto Man has Proto Coil already, but I opted for Item-2 rather than Proto Jet mainly because it's limited to horizontal movement.

For one thing, moving platforms are REALLY buggy in this engine, and I didn't want to introduce more headaches with the vertical movement that Proto Jet allows; for another, Break Man and his unique arsenal were a late addition to the game, so the challenges aren't designed with such a flexible utility as Proto Jet in mind. But also, I'm trying to have each weapon/utility be from a different game, and MM9 (Laser Trident) and MM10 (Proto Coil) are already covered.

So, to answer your question...no, sorry.

21-09-2017 12:10 AM