X Confirmed for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite!
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Booblight AwardAuto AwardRush AwardBeat AwardTempo AwardInafune AwardAce AwardC^2 Super Moderator AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorDeadchat AwardSaga AwardBnG Award
RE: X Confirmed for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite!
We got skins of course

https://i.imgur.com/KLZvRDfr.jpg

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 05:26 PM by Rhythm.)
25-04-2017 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DWN-060 Clownman Offline
Τὸ Μεγα Θηρίον
Super Moderators

Kinda surprised it's from Command Mission.
25-04-2017 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

The sheer fact that Command Mission is being referenced at all just makes me so happy right now. It felt like Capcom had no intent on acknowledging their later stuff ever again, maybe just an OG retro source here or there because nostalgia. Now if only they could manage to get enough interest back in Mega Man to where it becomes profitable enough. I do really think they want to do stuff with Mega Man, they just haven't actually been able to.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
26-04-2017 02:17 AM
Jexulus Offline
Still Here
Registered

(26-04-2017 02:17 AM)Entity1037 Wrote:  The sheer fact that Command Mission is being referenced at all just makes me so happy right now. It felt like Capcom had no intent on acknowledging their later stuff ever again, maybe just an OG retro source here or there because nostalgia. Now if only they could manage to get enough interest back in Mega Man to where it becomes profitable enough. I do really think they want to do stuff with Mega Man, they just haven't actually been able to.

My running theory is that Capcom's been looking for an excuse to re-launch the Mega Man franchise, and with how fractured the franchise is, I don't think they really had a graceful way of doing that until now.

They already tried with Classic, but it became clear that people were dissatisfied that they're idea of re-introducing the original Mega Man was games like 9 and 10. They were going to run themselves aground again if they continued to have Inti churn those out.

X's last outing was a remake of the first game that had poor sales, and while they likely know that it was because of the platform they put it on and nothing else, the only two choices in producing X titles again after so long would be either X9, which would be continuing a story from more than 10 years ago, or yet another reboot. It's essentially the Superman Returns dilemma for X.

The other five franchises are a lot less mainstream than Classic and X, so attempting to re-launch Mega Man with one of them as the basis would be a poor choice. Battle Network and Zero are both done in terms of story, Star Force came to a hasty end because its sales were declining, and both ZX and Legend are both incomplete due to their respective third games being cancelled, the latter infamously so.

Basically, the only way to reintroduce Mega Man conventionally would be a non-choice between rebooting/reinventing one of seven continuities. Nobody would have won in that case.

How interesting, then, that MvCI heavily features the Mega Man franchise as part of its plot. While it remains to be seen whether or not the game succeeds in rekindling mainstream interest in Mega Man as a whole, this is by far the best chance we have to seeing Mega Man games return.

[Image: sig.gif]
27-04-2017 06:31 PM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

I do agree that they ARE in a difficult situation with actually bringing Mega Man back. Legacy Collection was an obvious safe choice to re-introduce the classic games to new people, and the upcoming Mega Man cartoon was a hopefully safe choice to make something that will appeal to younger audiences by trusting Mega Man with people with a somewhat decent track record. To be honest though, I think with Marvel vs Capcom Infinite it's also a safe bet to include more Mega Man representation in it. The main focus of the franchise is to cross over the franchises of two companies, and because of that the fandoms of all of them can come together and make a big enough audience altogether to buy the game, even if they don't always know of all of the characters in the game. In that kind of situation, having more obscure franchises be represented can actually be a really good thing, as it can introduce people to those franchises who otherwise wouldn't have ever known about them. I believe I once heard this be called the "Smash Bros. Effect."

I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing with Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. They're trying to reinvigorate Mega Man even more. Marvel Vs Capcom is an already established, well known crossover franchise with its own fan following, and has lots of different franchises and characters involved, to the point where having one of the main villains of the game be from a lesser known franchise probably won't hurt anything. And the story they have going works really well with Sigma too, with him and Ultron having a really good parallel to each other. Because of that, having Sigma be a main villain will actually get more people to know about him, and in turn get more people to know about the X series and their games, instead of turn people off. Honestly, I don't really see how having more Mega Man representation in this game could be a turn off for people.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2017 09:55 AM by Entity1037.)
28-04-2017 09:47 AM
Smedis2 Offline
Obscurity Fanatic
Registered

Reggae AwardAuto Award
And now the footage shown makes it look like a shit mobile game.

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
28-04-2017 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jexulus Offline
Still Here
Registered

(28-04-2017 10:56 AM)Smedis2 Wrote:  And now the footage shown makes it look like a shit mobile game.

The art style is almost identical to Contest of Champions, which was a bad game that had bad visuals. I do agree that this won't look much better, but it'll at least be a bit more polished by launch.

[Image: sig.gif]
28-04-2017 02:27 PM