MaGMML2 - Bug Reporting Thread
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 3
RE: MaGMML2 - Bug Reporting Thread
(12-11-2017, 09:09 PM)SnoruntPyro Wrote: Sorry, but a bunch of the bugs you reported aren't bugs and were actually caused by the submitter, lol.

Funny enough, that's the exact sort of response I expected. I mean, sure, the levels were submitted "as-is" and the only responsibility the organizers/coders have is to make sure that the levels are playable, in the final product, even if you have to use utility weapons to do so. But, when I see little, tiny things that should have been fixed within high-tier levels which are, otherwise, really well-made... well... I guess I'm the type of person who would investigate the matter and see if the creators would want them patched, rather than shrug and say, "that's not our responsibility."

But, hey. It's not my contest. I'm just playing the levels and content long after-the-fact. "lol."

I dunno. Maybe ACE should put a bolded asterisk in the opening post, telling people not to bother with level-specific bugs. Even though several levels contain several of the same gimmicks and effects.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2017, 01:35 AM by Joseph Collins.)
12-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Find Reply
The Mega Fan 19XX Offline
AKA: Speed Wind
Registered

Threads: 9
we get it, joseph, some people are a little lazy sometimes, lol.
12-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Find Reply
Blackhook Offline
Gonna get promoted...eventually
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 9
Why does the new version run worse than the initial release? I played the release version with no slowdown and now the game keeps telling me the FPS is too low???? How much did they fuck up optimisation?
Also being unable to use a D-pad on a controller. Dunno if a bug, but it is awful.

[Image: d82bcef28Chwb.png]
13-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Mess around with the settings in options.ini, that seems to work for pretty much everyone. Also are you sure you used 1.3.1...? Ace added d-pad support in 1.3.0..........
13-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Find Reply
Joseph Collins Away
Postman
SIBRE Alpha Testers

It's not just Blackhook. And...
(02-11-2017, 08:01 AM)awd42 Wrote: Am I missing something with the gamepad config? I select it from the options menu and it recognizes the buttons I press for Jump, Shoot, Slide, Prev/Next, & Pause, but afterwards it goes back to the menu and the gamepad is not active, only the keyboard. This is with a Logitech GamePad Pro USB, if that matters (SNES-style with two shoulder buttons [D-pad + ABXY, L1L2R1R2, Start/Select -- 10 total buttons]; works perfectly in everything else I've ever tried it in).
(10-11-2017, 01:05 AM)Joseph Collins Wrote: I'm having the exact same problem with the controller as awd42; I can assign buttons, but the game refuses to acknowledge any button presses anywhere outside of the controller setup. I ended up doing the old classic of using JoyToKey to map the keyboard to my controller.
... it's been a problem (with a workaround) for a while, now.

Blackhook is also right in that v1.3.1 seems to stutter a little more often than v1.2.0 – particularly after first loading the game. v1.2.0 never had audio pops and crackles, either. After running it for a while, things seem to calm down, but the fact that any of this is going on, while v1.2.0 didn't have these problems, is kind of annoying.
(And, yes, I tried reverted my "options.ini" settings back to v1.2.0 settings. It may have helped, a little.)

Nov. 17th Edit: Also, I've finally updated my bug list (on the previous page), to reflect what SnoruntPyro has mentioned, since.
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2017, 11:54 PM by Joseph Collins.)
14-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Find Reply
awd42 Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 0
Since I've heard rumors of an upcoming patch, I should follow up on the problems I've encountered, and new bugs I've found:

Engine/performance issues:
  • Performance on 1.3.x is significantly worse in full-screen mode than it was in 1.2. I initially thought it was terrible in windowed mode too, until I discovered that setting AlternateSyncMethod=1 in options.ini helps a little. In v1.2, I had set that to fix a "tearing" issue in full-screen whenever the screen scrolled, and not realized that it also helped performance, since I had set it before finding out the SleepMargin=10 fix (now the default in 1.3) from some helpful people in Discord. In both 1.2 and 1.3, setting SleepMargin but not AlternateSyncMethod gives me about 45-47 fps in windowed mode.

I understand that the new full-screen mode is "more compatible", and indeed it does now work in my Virtualbox VM (although it's still terribly slow, even on fast hardware, whereas the GM8.1 devkit ran great), whereas 1.2 had a black screen, but I would greatly appreciate an option to use the 1.2 full-screen mode. On my old (and only) Windows laptop, once I set AlternateSyncMethod and SleepMargin, the game (v1.2) actually ran pretty decently in full-screen (and even better if I boosted the priority), aside from long load times on many levels, and mostly OK, but slightly worse, in windowed (more likely to lag/sound stutter, and raising the priority to at least AboveNormal is required for it to be playable).

With the same settings in 1.3.1, windowed mode is the same as 1.2, but full-screen is unplayable. Basically:
    Windowed (all versions): 55-60 fps
    1.2 full-screen: solid 60 fps (with rare exceptions)
    1.3 full-screen: 35-59 fps; probably an average of 55 but much more likely than windowed to lag (and worse, audio stutter) at the slightest hint of action. Without AlternateSyncMethod it's a solid 30 fps.

I'm not recommending AlternateSyncMethod for everyone (in fact, in my VM, it had no performance impact and somehow made the scrolling more choppy), but it's worth trying if you have janky scrolling or bad performance.

• The Tier 8 and Tier X hubs are especially laggy, worse than any level except maybe the "sledding in cyberspace" room of Null and Void. At least they aren't actual levels...

• In arenas, each boss has the same load time as its level, which adds up. For some bosses, the level music plays while loading, while in others it switches to the boss music after a couple seconds, and in still others you have to wait in silence.

• Despite being mentioned as fixed in the changelog, my gamepad still does not work. It behaves exactly as in 1.2 -- works in the button mapping menu, but nowhere else. Fortunately, JoyToKey still works just fine.

Worth noting to head off a potential MaGMML3 bug: the MaGMML3 "judge application" had the opposite problem -- the gamepad does work in the game, but the button mapping does not get saved. Worse, there's no way to enable/disable gamepad support, so I can't even use JoyToKey, as that causes duplicate button presses (e.g. pressing a certain button both jumps and shoots, due to it being processed both natively and by JoyToKey). I briefly considered applying -- obviously I didn't -- but I'd still like to play through those levels.

Game bugs, that may contain spoilers:
  • On the top floor of Tier 9, and parts of Tier 10 (e.g. 1st place), Rush Coil just teleports through the floor rather than landing there. This breaks the 25 element cutscene if your 25th element was from one of those levels -- Rush falls through the floor, and you never see him go R2-D2, but rather get to have a conversation with an nonexistent Dr. Light.

I think I heard this was fixed in 1.3, but I haven't tested: if you got however many elements triggered this cutscene but "exited" directly to the shop, you got this in 1.2:

• The MM3 [?] mystery tanks are strangely immune to your buster shots if you have Rush Coil/Jet out.

• If you exit the Chateau Chevaleresque (before getting the Hub Fast Travel Utility), or the Knight Man fight, you are taken to the teleporter for the last level you played (even if it's Tier X, or The Pit!), rather than to outside the chateau.

• The music for the Pit's first screen (the cityscape, not the cave) doesn't appear to be listed in the Sound Room, even after getting 100%. Also, I don't think doing a no-damage on a Wily stage unlocks anything in the sound room? Every other challenge unlocks something there, but I don't believe there's anything matching that one.

• Buttons behave differently in the Pit Shop vs. the main shop. Likewise for the pit level select, which I think makes you press B to choose a level, and start or A exits the menu? Also it would be nice if said menu listed the full level titles.

• In super mode, double-jumping to fly is never explained. Even after unlocking it and playing around a bit, I didn't discover you could do this until watching someone else's playthrough and going, "wait, how did he do that!?"

Also you can't fly in certain boss fights, and not just shmup bosses like Wily 0, but IIRC Jet Man?

• In the Null and Void tier with the tops, you can ride them up to another screen and eventually to a later tier (but you'll likely get squished). Also, in ParmaJon's Floor 6 room, the left edge of this screen can kill you (actual death, not "teleport" death), but triggering it is random:

Touching those spikes places you on the edge of the teleporter as shown, which may be related.

• There's a pretty obvious missing tile about halfway through Wily 3.

• Seems odd that Break Man can't use Alter weapons, but Proto Man can.

Pretty sure these are known issues (also spoilers lol):
  • If you Slash Claw Eddie, his death is permanent, meaning he doesn't show even up in The Pit or in Easter Eggs like Gut's Man Asteroid and a couple Tier X levels.

• If you die to Super (Final?) Toad Man in Hardcore Parkour, upon restarting the fight he'll give his losing speech and you automatically win.

• (Just noticed this in Roahm's playthough of Orbital Station) Apparently you can fetch weapon-unlock powerups with hornet chaser. I though the 1.3 patch to keep you from doing that in Wily 4 would've prevented that?

• Sometimes teleporters don't activate. I think it happens if you enter while you're currently in an I-frame state? When it happens, you have to completely exit the teleporter and re-enter in order for it work. This was more noticeable in the Pit of Pits due to the sheer number of teleporters; on the Metroid stage I had to use Flash Stopper to freeze the enemies when they were outside the teleporter.
(This post was last modified: 22-02-2018, 05:11 AM by awd42.)
21-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Find Reply
SnoruntPyro Offline
cute
Moderators

Various comments on that -
* Performance issues may have been caused by not hitting the 'clean build' button in GMS for 1.3, but we'll definitely hit it for 1.4. Hopefully that'll fix it.
* Not much we can do about laginess in tier 8/X/NAV, load times in arena, or gamepad support at this point, sorry. Would require messing with a bunch of stuff that's inconsistant between the resources the devs have and the resources you have (i.e., computers that make the stuff not lag, gamepads the game supports, load times being shorter, etc..)
* Toad Man bug is a persistent bitch and refuses to be fixed, so unfortunately it's here to stay for 1.4.
* I might have made a challenge not unlock anything by accident. It might unlock the wily star jingle? I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it's probably too late now. And that theme I thought I remembered putting it in? Either way, with the new update, the sound test is at 250 songs and I'd rather have 250 than 251 (plus putting that song where it should be in the sound test would take forever w/ shifting everything over in the code)
* I didn't even know you could grab the Wire with hornet chaser in orbital station, the changelog was specifically addressing wily 4. That's an entry bug tho (or intentional?), you could make things not grabbable by hornet chaser in the devkit.
* NAV top glitch, eddie death, teleporters, and the pit level select issues have all been addressed already. Rush cutscene glitch, surprise tanks, the pit shop, and super mode flying not being explained will all (hopefully) be fixed. Also, you couldn't fly in the tier 8 hub because super mode flying bugged out with the tower. This has been addressed as well.
* I'm not sure what you mean by missing tile.
* Break Man can't use alter weapons because no one made aiming sprites for him Confused, sorry.
22-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
awd42 Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 0
Thanks.

(22-02-2018, 03:29 PM)SnoruntPyro Wrote: * I'm not sure what you mean by missing tile.
The middle platform here:

Pretty sure that wasn't intended, since it looks "correct" after you go flip the switch.

Edit: couple more minor things I remembered:
  • Challenge 1 says "collect every energy element in the submissions" but you don't actually get the achievement until unlocking Tier X, which also requires having beaten Wily. It's quite possible to get all 81 elements before going into the Wily Star, which will leave you wondering why the challenge isn't marked complete.
  • If you die to the Wily machine while wearing a costume, you respawn back at the checkpoint as Mega Man, with no explanation given. I know that for plot reasons you're supposed to lose the costume after beating Wily, but this was just confusing. Apologizes if this was already fixed -- I don't feel like playing through Wily 6 again to check. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 24-02-2018, 05:21 AM by awd42.)
23-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Find Reply