[Game]: Ultimate Mega Man Endless
lizardcommando Offline
Registered

Ultimate Mega Man Endless
I've always wanted a fully customized version of Mega Man Endless.

This Ultimate version of Endless mode would span across the entire Classic series Mega Man games. You can can completely customize your endless runs by selecting the weapons (up to 8) and items (up to 3) you take with you during your run. You can also select which game series' levels and bosses you go through. You can mix and match the series' levels and bosses for each run. You can choose whether or not you want an increased rate of encounters with levels that have a ton of spikes or not. It would also be really cool to select which character you can use too. You can choose between Mega Man, Proto Man or Bass (both MM7 and MM10 version). Mega Man is obviously available at the beginning, but Proto Man and Bass are unlocked after you pass certain amount of total screens or beat a certain number of bosses. You can choose which specific game soundtrack you want to play, select specific songs to play throughout your run or if, for whatever reason, just want to play MM5's Wily stage music or something through the entire run, go ahead. You can even customize the soundtrack with your own music if you want. Players can choose whether or not they want to play their endless run with classic NES style graphics, MM7's graphics, MM8's graphics or even MM: Powered Up graphics.

As you go through each Endless run, you can collect screws to buy additional E-Tanks and weapon tanks. You can buy typical upgrades like a Double Jump or High Jump upgrade, faster sliding, charge shot upgrades for faster charging speed or larger charge shot and wall-jumping and dashing like in Mega Man X. You could even buy weapons from other Mega Man series as well like Zero's Z-Saber for starters.

If this was the very, very last thing Capcom ever made for a Mega Man game, I'd be ok with it.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 04:46 AM by lizardcommando.)
08-01-2017 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Spike Award
RE: Ultimate Mega Man Endless
If people keep expanding the MaGMML2 devkit (say, for an eventual MaGMML3), I could easily see a game like this coming together. I sincerely hope we see more Endless games (and not just games with Endless modes).

I'm in favor with most of the customization ideas, but in order for any kind of leaderboard to work, I think you'd have to keep the level assortment consistent. Plus, there's a lot of gray area in what qualifies as "a ton of spikes"—one stage might have spikes everywhere that are incredibly easy to avoid, while another stage might have only one spike but it's nearly impossible to avoid. I think the key is to have a roughly consistent level of difficulty across all stages, with challenges you don't have to do perfectly as long as you've got health or ammo to help bail you out.

As for the upgrades, those could put a really interesting twist on the gameplay, but I feel like they'd work better for something more in the vein of Metroid than Endless. Designing endlessly replayable levels at a consistent difficulty level is hard enough, but catering to the incredible range of abilities between MM1 Mega Man and fully powered MMX Mega Man is a tall order. A more limited assortment of upgrades might work, but I wouldn't even treat the upgrades as permanent improvements that you buy; instead, I'd let you pick any two from the list, just like choosing weapons. So you could go in with a more powerful buster and no knockback, or you could take less damage from enemies and get hurt by spikes instead of instantly killed. Heck, maybe you could even LOSE an ability (like, take more damage or have fewer shots on the screen at once) to gain an extra upgrade slot.

I'd love to see the option to change graphical styles, but probably more than any other part of the game, that'd be a LOT of work. Not to mention compensating for the different sizes of the graphics.

But, I would play the heck out of an Endless game like you describe.

No matter where you go, there you are.
12-01-2017 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lizardcommando Offline
Registered

RE: Ultimate Mega Man Endless
Yeah, I suppose having a leaderboard and being able to customize your Endless mode session would be difficult to handle.

I love the idea about having to choose a limited set of upgrades to use to go through a single Endless mode session. That seems to make the most sense.

I never even considered size differences for the different art styles.
13-01-2017 04:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply