[Original Game] Maximum - Gradius-esque shoot 'em up
dracmeister Offline
Registered

Maximum - Gradius-esque shoot 'em up
So-uh this has been in the works for years now.

And I need insight-- this isn't gaining too much attention in GameJolt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvzlrydz152khj...4.exe?dl=0

Anywhoo. This has some updated code.

Basic Controls:
Z - Shoot
X - Power Up
A - Special Attack(when special meter is cyan)

There is no scoring system, but you get an Extend by 50 kills plus 25 more after that.
(Basically first extend is at 50 kills, then after its 75, then 100 etc.)

Powering Up:
Other things:
08-01-2017 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorSmash AwardAce Award
RE: Maximum - Gradius-esque shoot 'em up
Played it for a bit.. and got bored quite honestly. That would be the games biggest detriment at the moment. Having played a fair few Gradius style (and Gradius games) in my time, I can give you a few pointers:

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't complain about the graphics, but they aren't exactly... well.. good.

* The overall colour scheme for the game is quite garish to look at. Your backgrounds might want to consider dulling your palette a bit.
* On the other hand a lot of the sprites blend together:
[Image: ZVhhKMD.png]
There is a distinct lack of contrast in this sprite, making details very hard to tell apart.
* The quality of the pixel art seems to vary wildly. Some enemies look fine.. others I can't tell what I'm supposed to be looking at.

The graphics are an aspect that can help a game get noticed.. how-ever that is not where the major fault in the game lies:

* Stage design is non-existent, or at least it was by the time I reached where I did. I think this is one of the biggest problems with the game as it stands - everything is just flat. There is little to no variety in the stages - terrain would've been helpful. Take another look at Gradius games and you'll find that, past the first game, they start mixing it up with gimmicks and the like. Closing walls, fire storms, etc. Gimmicks are possible even with the stages you've used, and even then if you don't implement gimmicks, having actual stage design can make up for it. The good thing about these types of games, is that you don't really have to bother with working out collision, after all, everything kills you. This include the walls, ceiling, etc! Actually add some stage design to your game and not just wave after wave of enemies, and it might actually be less dull.
* Weapon balance seems... off. I picked up Fire Claw once, and outside of dying there doesn't seem to be a reason to use any other weapon - it has great screen coverage, high damage output, and extremely high rate of fire. All this is fine.. but on the other hand, some of the other weapon combos are so weak it takes an age to kill even basic enemies.
* The soundtrack choices are fine for the most part, although some pieces stick out like a sore thumb. When most of the game is rock, and then you have peppy Gradius tunes playing, they really stand out.

I'm hoping I haven't been too harsh, but I figured I'd give you the honest truth about the game. It still needs work... especially in the stage design department.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 11:50 AM by ACESpark.)
09-01-2017 11:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dracmeister Offline
Registered

RE: Maximum - Gradius-esque shoot 'em up
Thanks. I've been waiting for ages for a critique.

Balancing 40+ Primary Weapons and Sub-Weapons is difficult. But I'm slowly looking for potential balance tweaks for the weapons.

Stage Design. Over the course of the game's 9 main stages, I'll see what I can come up.

Music is mostly temporary. I need a composer or I learn to do it myself eventually.

Graphics. I've been meaning to give it an overhaul, actually. It's figuring out what aesthetic I'm going for.
As for the player's ship. It's kinda my fault for having a very complex-looking design on paper. One of the previous iterations of it's design was pre-rendered 3D graphics.

But with all that thanks for your thoughts!
09-01-2017 12:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply