[Fan Game] Mega Man Parade Concept
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Mega Man Parade Concept
[Image: logo-anim_zpszeodbvlp.gif]

Now is time for me to announce fangame that I have been making design documents and concept art for!

I began working on Mega Man Parade around in October 2016. It’s been my lifelong dream to become a game designer, and I’m fairly certain that making a Mega Man Fangame is a great start to that path.

Unfortunately, while I may have what it takes to design a game in artistic aspects, my programming knowledge is less than ideal. But since I want this to be a team effort, I’m hoping anyone who is willing and able, can find their place on our devteam.

I’m also hoping folks can give me some good nudges in the right direction for resources, since my knowledge and experience with programming isn’t the best. Please don’t insist that I try to develop the game by myself, I want this to be a team experience.

For months, I worked on and off producing design documents that explain exactly how I want things to work in the game. While some elements of the documents aren’t complete, (namely I still can’t come up with a boss for the first fairground stage) I would love to have some insight and feedback from others.

Our Team so far

1337gamer15- Project Lead, Main Character Designer, Environmental Designer, Document Designer.

Karasz- Enemy Designer, Logo Design, Various Promotional Arts

Renhoek - Programmer

Premise
This is a nonprofit fangame project, intended to amass me a team of designers and developers, whom after this project, can get enough of a simulated experience of professional game design and development, to move on to higher grounds later.

Story so far…
The Robot Expo Parade Carnival has rolled up in town. Mega Man is contacted by the carnival’s MC Rho, who offers him a float at the parade. He also tells him that 9 other guest performer robots from around the globe will be appearing alongside him at the grand celebration.

However, it doesn’t take long for Mega Man to realize that the whole carnival was a trap by Dr. Wily to spread a newly developed malware across the masses quickly. This new virus seems to allow robots to harm humans without fear of deactivating, and the 9 robot guest performers go berserk! Mega Man steps forth to oppose Wily for the millionth time.

Confronting the mad doctor, Wily orders his new robot, Rho, to fight Mega Man. Rho charges his attack, but instead, attacks Dr. Wily! Rho says that Wily may have brought him into this world, but this “blessing” has made him realize the burden humans are on robots. Seems he didn’t think his plans through. Now this virus has taken his control away from his own robots! Rho enlists the aid of the now infected 9 robot guest performers in his scheme to overthrow humanity! He offers Mega Man a position in his army, but Mega Man refuses as hard as he can.

Injured, and reduced to a hospital bed, Dr. Wily is forced to depend on his old nemesis Mega Man, to find and contain the threat of a robot of his own creation.

Overall, the story is meant to serve as a “series finale” to the Classic Mega Man story, and explain more why things are the way they are in Mega Man X

The Guest Performers

[Image: quiltwoman%20portrait_zpswnt1xbjj.png] [Image: quiltwoman_zpshphntbnj.png]

The Silly
Quilt Woman PUN-01 (Children’s Entertainer Robot)
Master of Duvets

Bio: Mascot for Scottish Toy Company, and host of a popular children’s early education show. She can rapidly mass produce fine quilts to help cold homeless people and children. Though playful, she is known to throw tantrums when things don’t go her way. She usually educates small children about letters and numbers, as well as the dangers of playing with sharp objects.
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Weapon: Plaid Block
Good Point: Playful
Bad Point: Childish
Like: Sheep
Dislike: Purple tentacles
Stage: Toy Factory
Energy: Dry Battery
Quote: “Who says you cannae learn anything from cartoons eh?”

[Image: cyclopsman%20portrait_zpsome6wqjq.png] [Image: cyclopsman_zpshh1wk4us.png]

The All-Seeing
Cyclops Man PUN-02 (Actor Robot)
Master of Optics

Bio: Has a large single eye that can produce entire laser shows for music bands. His sight is much clearer than the average robot, but has limited peripheral vision. He has also played the role of either a monster or extraterrestrial in Halloween movies. His large eye is his only means of sight, and would leave him helpless if he were to be shot there by something jagged.
Country of Origin: Greece
Weapon: Iris Laser
Good Point: Suave
Bad Point: In financial debt
Like: Psychedelics
Dislike: Eye damage
Stage: Cobblestone Tower
Energy: Fusion Cell
Quote: “It’s not a party without Cyclops Man!”

[Image: genieman%20portrait_zpsa0z4usea.png] [Image: genieman_zpsaczw05dq.png]

The All-Knowing
Genie Man PUN-03 (Fortune Teller Robot)
Master of Fortune

Bio: A fortune teller robot with built in pyrotechnics and holo projector to attract customers. He can’t actually grant wishes, so he instead tries to tell his customers how to alter their fate for the better. When fighting, he usually tests his opponents as if a teacher, hoping they have the strength to best him. He levitates using a smoke-like compound, that fulminations can blow away.
Country of Origin: United Arab Emirates
Weapon: Genie Illusion
Good Point: Clairvoyant
Bad Point: Doesn’t seek victory
Like: Selfless people
Dislike: Greedy people
Stage: Treasure Caves
Energy: Thermal Power
Quote: “Pay attention to me!”

[Image: hunterwoman%20portrait_zpsy9lzybmp.png] [Image: hunterwoman_zpskxodo5xx.png]

The Sharpshooting
Hunter Woman PUN-04 (Big Game Hunter Robot)
Master of Survival

Bio: Hosts a TV show on wild game hunting, as well as general survival tips for robots who get lost in the wilderness. Never loses track of her prey, following them until the opportunity to kill arises. Can survive in many environments, thanks to her solar panels. She generally reacts quickly to sniping things, and can only rely off the quick blurry silhouette she sees.
Country of Origin: Australia
Weapon: Homing Crossbow
Good Point: Adaptable fuel intake
Bad Point: Poor hygiene
Like: Nature
Dislike: City folk
Stage: Desert Billabong
Energy: Solar Energy
Quote: “See you beyond the black stump, mate!”

[Image: goalieman%20portrait_zpsvz82giw5.png] [Image: goalieman_zpsxgpq16bg.png]

The Amazing
Goalie Man PUN-05 (Sports Player Robot)
Master of Sports

Bio: Mascot for world soccer tournaments. Many fans, as well as professional soccer players hope to challenge him in a game, to prove their sportsmanship. He is also an expert at teaching even complete idiots how to kick a ball around. He hates it when large insects plague the playing field and interfere with the game.
Country of Origin: South Africa
Weapon: Slider Tackle
Good Point: Good team player
Bad Point: Bossy
Like: Fans and supporters
Dislike: Strike Man
Stage: Olympics Stadium
Energy: Solar Energy
Quote: “Footy rules!”

[Image: corsairman%20portrait_zpsqiu1oslz.png] [Image: corsairman_zpssu9olqk7.png]

The Swashbuckling
Corsair Man PUN-06 (Resort Mascot Robot)
Master of the Seas

Bio: Mascot for a pirate themed tropical getaway resort. Wields large kegs of grog, the most volatile substance known to pirates, very explosive and corrosive. He has a problem with his liquid coolant unit (which he refuses to fix), making him “spit” whenever he talks. Despite his usual bravery, he seems to have an irrational fear of tartan patterned objects.
Country of Origin: The Bahamas
Weapon: Powder Keg
Good Point: Brave
Bad Point: Drunkard
Like: Spitting
Dislike: Root Beer
Stage: Sunken Galleon
Energy: Alcohol Engine
Quote: “Rat-tat-tap, do you have a treasure here?”

[Image: butterflyman%20portrait2_zpsnggvjtdp.png] [Image: butterflyman2_zpsrgvsmwts.png]

Old design
The Bedazzling
Butterfly Man PUN-07 (Dancer Robot)
Master of Performance

Bio: Expert leader of an all robot performance troupe. Excels in many forms of dance. Has apparently visited outer space once. He can send frequencies that allow him to control many tiny robotic butterflies, and make them fly in artistic formations or shield himself. The butterflies seem to lack defense against a certain kind of optically emitted radiation.
Country of Origin: France
Weapon: Swarm Shield
Good Point: Elegant
Bad Point: Narcissistic
Like: Techno
Dislike: Bad smells
Stage: Bramble Circus
Energy: Wind Energy
Quote: “Be amazed!”

[Image: kukriman%20portrait_zpspkzmavam.png] [Image: kukriman_zpse3umyvek.png]

The Swift
Kukri Man PUN-08 (Figure Skating Robot)
Master of Skating

Bio: Created by a company that makes weapon props for use in movies. Fitted with an experimental antigravity device, that allows him to spin or detach his torso. He is also a champion figure skater. Because his anti-gravity system is experimental, he has trouble keeping balance after being struck by full body force.
Country of Origin: Nepal
Weapon: Kukri Slasher
Good Point: Determined
Bad Point: Arrogant
Like: Pirouetting
Dislike: Dull blades
Stage: Himalayan Village
Energy: Fusion Cell
Quote: “Eat high carbon steel!”

And now the special optional guest performer, whose stage can only be accessed by finding all 4 Secret Runes…

[Image: valkyriewoman%20portrait_zpspvhjikpo.png] [Image: valkyriewoman_zpscystmjvk.png]

The Warrior
Valkyrie Woman PUN-09 (Opera Singer Robot)
Master of Opera

Bio: Opera singer robot of little popularity. This may be due to the fact she only shows herself to an audience she deems worthy. Don’t expect a happy ending with her around... Her weather control systems are a wee unstable and could break if the same force was struck at herself.
Country of Origin: Norway
Weapon: Valkyrie Storm
Good Point: Barbaric
Bad Point: Depressed
Like: Tragedy
Dislike: Rabbits
Stage: Mechanical Yggdrasil
Energy: Wind Energy
Quote: “Face yöur swan söng mörtal!”

And of course, our new antagonist for the tale

[Image: rho%20portrait_zpsnency1lb.png] [Image: rho_zpscbseg9uc.png]

The Almighty
Rho PUN-00
Master of Ceremonies

Bio: A robot Dr. Wily made to host a fake “Robot Expo Parade” to spread a new virus he was testing. Seems the virus was more potent than he thought, because Rho has gone rouge and turned against his own creator. Rho seems to be very good at manipulating robots to join him, with his dashing good looks and magic tricks. There’s something very familiar about him too…
Good Point: Charismatic
Bad Point: Megalomaniac
Like: Lycoris Radiata flowers
Dislike: Dr. Wily
Energy: Unknown
Quote: “It’s for the greater good of robots everywhere.”

The weapons

[Image: wepicon_zpsub7qtein.png]

Plaid Block – Fire a sewing bobbin that turns into a plaid cushion. Can be used as a stepping stone. When shot at enemies, it tangles them in sewing thread, and instantly kills small enemies, even Metalls hiding in their helmets.

Iris Laser – Fire an eyebeam that will ricochet off walls, and can explode into a giant flashing eye of light. You can fire again to detonate early.

Genie Illusion – Fire a holographic copy of Mega Man, that will explode, as well as attract the attention of enemies. Enemies who shoot it will be electrocuted, and if they touch it, it will explode in their face. Not all enemies are fooled though…

Homing Crossbow – Fire a crossbow bolt, that you can charge to lock onto enemies.

Slider Tackle – Allows Mega Man to do a dashing slide that can let him tackle enemies. He also leaves behind 3 floating dust clouds that harm enemies. He can also now slide in midair, for an air dash. You’ll also be invincible for a wee sec after the attack.

Powder Keg – Fire a rolling barrel that explodes when it touches something. Can aim up to do a lob shot, that will roll slower when it hits the ground.

Swarm Shield – Surround yourself with a swarm of butterflies to protect yourself. Can absorb a few hits before breaking. Can also be fired forward. Additionally, while the shield is on, you’ll fall more slowly, letting you platform more cautiously.

Kukri Slasher – Fire a boomerang kukri, which pierces enemies, and can even retrieve most items. Can aim up for an arc shot, and aim down for a dip shot.

Valkyrie Storm – Summon a thunderstorm! Rain wipes out all small fries, while 4 lightning bolts will strike down in random locations, all in sync to the high notes of “Ride of the Valkyries” The lightning bolts can deal decent damage to enemies who aren’t wiped out by the rain. It’s very powerful, but you gotta bear in mind that Valkyrie Woman’s stage is going to be rather difficult.

What needs to be done

We need:

Additional programmers, who can help us get the development aspect rolling faster, I succ at programming, and it's taking time for me to learn. Help would be appreciated.
Music Composer
Additional Spriters, if possible

Also I’ll need help launching a website for the game once we get far enough.

What I’ll be handling

Supervisor
Cutscene Storyboards
Documentation
Various Sprite art assets (My experience with art is good, but with pixel art is a bit iffy, I don’t feel incapable, but I would appreciate have extra help with this)
Cutscene stills
Dialog Scripting
Concept Art

How to participate

To seek a position on our devteam, you must pass a portfolio check. Don’t worry, it’s not gonna be like a job interview, I won’t be too harsh on your work. Show me examples of your work.

If you’ve done work on previous fangames before, it’ll be a surefire sign that you’re eligible.

If payment is necessary for your work, so be it, but please keep in mind that my income isn’t the most reliable.
You will also need to read and understand a guideline document that I have written.

Upon joining, you will be allowed access to our Discord and Google Drive, for sharing assets and discussing matters (Be sure to ONLY share via drive, to prevent leakage)

Contact (in regards to participation, post on this thread for feedback and comments)

The best way to contact me is on Steam, where I am usually logged in as long as I’m at my computer.

Contact on steam if you want to say something live and quick during development

You could also message me on this site.

1337gamer15:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041663348/
http://1337gamer15.deviantart.com/

Karasz:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zaritonikarasz/
http://ekarasz.deviantart.com/

Feedback

Lastly, for folks who may not be able to land a spot on the devteam, you can always give feedback on the game project, and make suggestions to us.
I do plan on releasing some demo builds of the game throughout development, so please give us your thoughts.

Do bear in mind that some assets are concrete to the game, such as I’ve already determined the robot masters, how their stages work, and each and every aspect is a piece of a bigger puzzle, and may not be so easily changed, but we certainly can change things like the layout of stages.

Update May 18:

Update: May 27

(This post was last modified: Today 02:36 AM by 1337gamer15.)
11-05-2017 07:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: Mega Man Parade Concept
(11-05-2017 09:11 PM)CosmicGem Wrote:  ill do music if you pay me like $15

sounds like a plan

contact me via steam to relay details
11-05-2017 09:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Entity1037 Online
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Actually, those sprite are pretty bad.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
11-05-2017 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

(11-05-2017 09:42 PM)Entity1037 Wrote:  Actually, those sprite are pretty bad.

they're not final
I know they need some polish
11-05-2017 09:45 PM
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Wedge AwardChiptune AwardRevo Remix Contributor
Is your aim to design a game which is in the style of the official games?

If so, then none of these robot master designs are in-style. At all.

[Image: G4BEWtT.png]

I'll use "Butterfly Man" to illustrate my point:
  • The eyes. Classic series robot masters only really have two types of faces, and they all have the same types of eye style. This already is an egregious violation of the official style.
  • I'm really not sure what's going on with the torso? It's rather unreadable.
  • The broken wing is poorly detailed, and arguably doesn't add much to the design.
  • The foot on our left (his right) is awkwardly positioned and seems to be somewhat broken.
  • The palette choices, to be perfectly blunt, are atrocious. The bright, neon colors here clash significantly and contribute to the lack of readability on the sprite.

All of the robot masters have problems similar to this - out-of-style elements, awkward posing, awkward representation of elements, and just plain over-designing. I won't go through every single one to point out the issues, but Butterfly Man jumped out at me due to the eyes. Aside from Astro Man and Galaxy Man (who are actually consistent within each other!) you're not going to find any robot masters with non-standard eyes like that.

You say that the robot master designs are "set", but if you want to make a proper "Mega Man" game, then frankly, you have to go back to the drawing board with these. The concepts themselves are also quite lacking. (Goalie Man? Quilt Woman? Really?)

In short, this is not a project I think people will be necessarily... rushing to contribute to. While this shows more planning than the average fangame project posted in this board or the general ideas board, this still shows a lack of coordination and effort required to actually see a game to completion. Your lack of concern with quality assurance in selecting your team member is also somewhat concerning.

While this may seem rather harsh (and it is, in places), it is obvious that you do care about this project so I would rather give you this harsh and honest criticism now and help you improve this rather than see this project simply fail or become a laughing stock. This post is only meant to help you, not to demoralize you.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 09:46 PM by Threxx.)
11-05-2017 09:45 PM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Well, let's get started with Butterfly Man then

Start with the head, wee concerned I may not be able to crunch these into 8-bit pixels easily, but help me decide on a new head for him

11-05-2017 11:07 PM
Azure-Mage Offline
Loves the smell of Starbucks in the morning
Registered

I'm getting some Blast Hornet vibes from the fourth head, judging by the looks of it.

Anywho, I'll go with the first head for him. I mean, it fits the butterfly theme for Butterfly Man pretty well.
12-05-2017 01:00 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

(12-05-2017 01:00 AM)Azure-Mage Wrote:  I'm getting some Blast Hornet vibes from the fourth head, judging by the looks of it.

Anywho, I'll go with the first head for him. I mean, it fits the butterfly theme for Butterfly Man pretty well.

First one it is, yeah I looked a bit at blast hornet for the 4th one.

Butterfly Man overall is mainly based off Daft Punk.

Any other robot masters ye think I should revise?
12-05-2017 01:14 AM
Azure-Mage Offline
Loves the smell of Starbucks in the morning
Registered

Hmm... If I could think of one, it would have to be Kukri Man design-wise, since the last thing we need is a bunch of people jumping at you and saying he's ripping off of Blade Man from Mega Man 10.
12-05-2017 01:26 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

(12-05-2017 01:26 AM)Azure-Mage Wrote:  Hmm... If I could think of one, it would have to be Kukri Man design-wise, since the last thing we need is a bunch of people jumping at you and saying he's ripping off of Blade Man from Mega Man 10.

To be honest, Kukri Man was the hardest for me to design. I want to make sure he has the ability to cling to walls and ceiling, as well as boomerang the halves of his body.

He has ice skates because I wanted his lower half to do attacks as well, instead of sitting uselessly.

He's meant to be a robot master who is fast, and ice themed, since he comes from the Himalayas.

He spins a lot so it kinda makes sense for every part of his body to be covered in blades.

The whole idea behind his fight is that he will jump at the same time as the player, much like Jewel Man. Because of this, the player can somewhat control when he attaches to the walls, where he will boomerang his halves at you.

But if ye have his weakness Slider Tackle, you can pierce through him, to give him less opportunities to jump.

Anywhere you think I could look for inspiration for a blade themed robot that fits those abilities?
12-05-2017 01:47 AM
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

(11-05-2017 11:07 PM)1337gamer15 Wrote:  Well, let's get started with Butterfly Man then

Start with the head, wee concerned I may not be able to crunch these into 8-bit pixels easily, but help me decide on a new head for him

(12-05-2017 01:00 AM)Azure-Mage Wrote:  I'm getting some Blast Hornet vibes from the fourth head, judging by the looks of it.

#1 lacks the signature Classic series style and bleeds too much into Maverick/Reploid territory.

The best choices here would be #3 or #4 to match the style (I'd personally opt for #4).

Here's a tip: Man first, theme second. It is important that the fact that it is a robot master is established before moving onto the theme, so that the theme does not detract from the style.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently working on Mega Man Shattered Diamond and an unannounced original project.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8JCLmX...ji0sctyEYQ
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2017 01:22 PM by Threxx.)
12-05-2017 04:31 PM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

I already determined the theme, they're all circus performer bots, each representing an aspect of a carnival, they're meant to be a lot goofier than the usual robot masters as such, with more impromptu powers, because I feel it gives me more opportunity to be creative with their powers, rather than plain old missiles, fire, and ice.

Quilt Woman represents a Kiddieland, or Kiddie Kingdom

Cyclops Man can fit in both a Horror Land or Galactic Zone

Genie Man represents fortune tellers, who are common in theme parks

Hunter Woman represents Zoos and animals

Goalie Man represents sports, plus Mega Man's slide is a soccer tackle, and Mega Man has played soccer before (even thought it sucked)

Corsair Man represents tropical theme parks, pirate's cove, or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride

Butterfly Man is a DJ, people like to dance and party, and fits the bright and neon light theme of the game. The reason I chose so is because I wanted him to seem like a guy who though being something "girly" as butterflies, he's trying his hardest to make them seem cool.

Kukri Man, because I like kukris, have a collection.

Valkyrie Woman is an opera singer, and was mainly inspired by a Looney Tunes short, and Wigfrid from Don't Starve.

I have a feeling the tiny sprites I made of the robot masters were too vague, so here's their reference sheets, which also explain how I want them to fight.

Quilt Woman

Cyclops Man

Genie Man

Hunter Woman

Goalie Man

Corsair Man

Butterfly Man

Kukri Man

Valkyrie Woman

Rho

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2017 05:23 PM by 1337gamer15.)
12-05-2017 05:09 PM
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

I think you missed my point. The theme you are designing your game around is irrelevant, if you are making a Mega Man game then there are certain stylistic elements that you need to adhere to.

(For example, Quilt Woman's left eye [our right] doesn't necessarily need to be different from her left. Monoeyed robot masters are also extremely difficult to pull of, Cryo Man in Mega Man Revolution aside.)

That was the point I was trying to make. They are a robot master first, and then you blend the theme into that after you have that down. These guys barely look like robot masters, and that is the problem.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently working on Mega Man Shattered Diamond and an unannounced original project.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8JCLmX...ji0sctyEYQ
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
13-05-2017 01:49 PM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Well, maybe people want to see something different for once, I wasn't provided with any sort of style guide.

Also Quilt Woman's eye is larger because A she's based off Laverne from Day of the Tentacle, and B, I feel it gives her a sort of "peppy mania" look, which is what is to be expected from a sort of childish acting character, toy themed robot master. smiling psychotically.

I wanted to make sure these robot masters all have some implied personalities just by their looks, even indicating so via animation (Butterfly Man swinging and dancing, Corsair Man laughing and spitting, and Quilt Woman vibrating and giggling when she harms the player.)

I mean I don't know what else to say. If they're different from the norm expected in a Mega Man game, then GOOD. Let us set new boundaries. Art never had wrong answers.

Now if you want me to change a robot master, bring up analysis just like Butterfly Man, and show what could be changed.
13-05-2017 04:00 PM