Rhythm is currently piecing together the list for this year's Wedge Award given annually. If you joined the community after November 25, 2016 and have either only come into DeadChat, posted in the Smeghead forum, or visited the Inc Discord, please send Rhythm a private message to let him know you are an active member of Inc and we can include you in our Wedge Award Eligible Nominees List. Check your profile for your join date before sending the PM. Thank You!

[Fan Game] Mega Man Parade Concept
TruffleQ Offline
Registered

RE: Mega Man Parade Concept
It's interesting. While not a fan of the carnival theme, I can appreciate that the PUN robots seem to fit that theme. I'm really digging Corsair Man, and his weapon. That arm cannon dealio seems a little off to me. I didn't analyze the others too much.
30-05-2017 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

[Image: robotmasterpixel%20v2_zpsg1uudybd.png]

Finally got around to redoing the sprites. Experimenting with some poses that fit their character, and a couple minor design adjustments, like swapping corsair man's arm blunderbuss to the other side.

I'm probably gonna have to make more and more adjustments as time goes, but at least they don't look as horrible as the old ones.

now that I've got these out of the way, does anyone wanna help me with some ideas for other reworks regarding the game? As well as feedback the new sprites?

Cyclops Man Stage Idea

Fairground Stage Boss
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 03:37 PM by 1337gamer15.)
02-06-2017 03:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Made an HD render of a Genie Man, as a sort of test for a possible art direction regarding promotional art for the fangame. I kinda feel it's about time Mega Man got some kind of HD treatment, yet still retains some tooniness, much like Wii U graphics.

Picked Genie Man cause he has all the neat smoke and fire effects.

Do you think this looks nice for promotional art? If so, I'll see about doing the rest of the robot masters in this style.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:32 AM by 1337gamer15.)
07-06-2017 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Karasz Offline
Registered

How is that unprofessional? Dude, a lot of effort has been put into an image. I'm sorry, but have you ever seen an art piece done by famous people, and some people who are inspired to make art from such pros? No. Because you never even learned about art history, have you?

Idiot.
08-06-2017 02:21 AM
Karakato Offline
Karrot Lover
Registered

Wedge AwardZero AwardRevo Remix ContributorUDON Award
Effort and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand. I can put in a lot of effort into making a ham and cheese omelette and it will still look like crap in other people's eyes. What is also unprofessional is how you take to giving negative reps to some users. Okay, their comments can be hurtful and seem like they have no weight, but as a content creator, one of the things you must never do is to react negatively to bad feedback. You will be actively shooting yourself on the foot by starting a fight with the fanbase, the last thing you want is to start a flame war with fans. I've seen you take criticism well here, just want to warn you that this won't become a pattern.

Here's what I think of the Genie man art. I don't think it fits the style you are going for in terms of matching the theme of the game. By using darker colors, you take away from the fun filled nature that a carnival conveys; By using heavy bloom on a cartoony character, you are actively making his details harder to make out. By emulating the Smash Bros 4 style of Mega Man, you are going out of style which again doesn't seem to convey the fun filled theme of MM Parade. I honestly believe you should go back to the old illustrations and work from there. Sure, you may not want to emulate the Inafune style but there are loads of styles you can work with that has the same slick 2D cel shaded look.

I've said my piece for the designs of the individual RM's and I may have to get to you on my follow up at a later date.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:13 AM by Karakato.)
08-06-2017 03:10 AM
Yozzaxia1311 Offline
I do various things.
Registered

(08-06-2017 12:50 AM)CosmicGem Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 06:09 AM)1337gamer15 Wrote:  

that looks like it was done by an unprofessional high-schooler

(08-06-2017 02:21 AM)Karasz Wrote:  How is that unprofessional? Dude, a lot of effort has been put into an image. I'm sorry, but have you ever seen an art piece done by famous people, and some people who are inspired to make art from such pros? No. Because you never even learned about art history, have you?

Idiot.

OMGg your juhst got rOahsted! Also what? You're saying "I took inspiration from another artist, and you know nothing about that because you don't know art history! You suck!" What does art history and inspiration have to do with this?

But yeah, speaking of the art, everything about the torso armor looks weird. It looks asymmetrical and bent, and the features and holes on it look misaligned. Genie Man's left (Our right) hand looks like soggy noodles, and the gradient and smudge tool usage makes everything look ugly. Oh ech...

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 03:52 AM by Yozzaxia1311.)
08-06-2017 03:15 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Alright, I'll make one in a more traditional sense when i get the chance. I still want to make sure the flames on his shoulders have some sort of lighting influence.

Oh also, we have a public version of our discord server for quicker discussion regarding the game.
Mega Man Parade Devroom Public
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 04:27 AM by 1337gamer15.)
08-06-2017 03:19 AM
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

Honestly I wasn't going to make this post, because I didn't think it was necessary, and as well I didn't think you responded to criticism well enough to sit down and consider what was being said, rather blindly, (and rudely, in the case of Threxx), ignoring it. A friend of mine, and one of those under your employ convinced me otherwise.

Give up on this project.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

This is your first game project. It's completely out of scope for what a first project should be. Do you know what most people's first learning projects are in the industry? Pong. Pong is a simple game. There are only two actors and a ball. It's simple to program, to design for, and to complete, as a small, self-contained project. Another nice thing about Pong is that there are many variations of it. Just like tennis, there are Singles, Doubles, Squash, Breakout can even be considered a variation of Pong. But all of these variations of Pong use a single paddle and a single ball class. It's that simple.

Compare that to Megaman. Not only is there a Megaman actor, there are enemies, gimmicks, bosses, powerups, weapons and more! Each of which has to be individually designed, programmed, sprited, SFX generated for... and that's every. single. asset.

You see what I'm saying? You yourself have stated this to be like a "final exam" to prove you can make a game, and yet you have no experience prior to this project. No one starts with their final test. Einstein didn't start with E=MC^2, he got there through years of study and hard work. Even for someone so genius as him, he still has to learn in order to apply his raw skill. The same goes for art, music, programming, any type of skilled trade. You can have talent, but only hard work will get you reward.

Hard work I'm not convinced you're willing to put in. You yourself have stated that this game isn't being made out of a love for the MM series, it's simply a test to see if you can make a game - because Megaman is, in your eyes, easy. It's rigid, there's a pattern to it, so it must be simple to design for, right? Do you honestly think you have the raw design skill to explain *why* Megaman, a complex platforming game, is so rigid? Can you please explain to me the core gameplay loop that Megaman fulfills? How about the player fantasy that Megaman fulfills, through both it's gameplay and difficulty? Go ahead, I honestly want to know your thoughts on the game design of Megaman if it's so easy.

This fan project is not a labour of love, and that kills because IMO, there are things you love that you'd be better suited to doing. Your OCs, for example, the little cyclops girl, I think she's adorable. Why not make a game with her in it? Pong, like I've said before, isn't hard to skin, why not make a Pong game with your OCs? And then expand your scope a little bit for the next game. Maybe go from Pong to Breakout? From Breakout to a shoot-em-up? By your third or fourth completed project you should be able to handle more complex physics and dynamic gameplay consisting of lots of actors, like the Mega Man games. Not your first game. Not by any means.

As well, if this isn't a labour of love, I must honestly ask you: Why are you doing this? Why are you paying real money to finish this game? A game that's not a pure labour of love? What are you trying to prove? If you were trying to prove to yourself you can make a game, you would have made a game already in private. If you're trying to prove to others, to the community, that you can make a game, you honestly better smarten up, because the community is rapidly growing a dislike for you. Look at your reputation on this site! You've been here for a shorter time than me and yet your negative reps are quickly going to surpass my few positive reps.

Is that really the kind of attention you want?

Look, I think you're a perfectly capable individual. You're clearly decent enough at art. But you're in way over your head in one of the most picky fanbases out there. Fix your attitude, fix your goals. Make them SMART.

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time Bound

I hope that you understand what I'm trying to convey to you. And if you disagree, please explain why. Show that you are capable of making this game, lest it collapse under its own weight.

Have a Good day. -noten

Edit: After some reflection I feel this might come off a little harsh, so I want to make it clear I'm not attackig you personally. I want it to be clear that I think that you aren't currently capable of what you're attempting; however, that does not mean I think you are incapable of ever attaining this goal. Rather, I think you must learn how to crawl before learning how to walk. Work hard, put passion into your work. You can do this, just *not now*.
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2017 07:16 AM by notencore.)
14-06-2017 10:20 PM
NaOH Offline
Regular
Registered

I have to disagree with notencore here. To be honest, I think this is a perfectly attainable goal. It's a difficult one, sure, but it can be done.

It seems a fangame can collapse under its own weight no matter how experienced the creators are. So many fangames that have had seasoned veterans working on them collapsed. And also, many fangames have been created by people entirely new to the scene. The important thing is to have good management and impassioned devs.

As somebody who's made a few games, I'd say go for it.

Edit: I think I worded the above poorly, since some people seem to be taking it not the way I intended. To clarify: if you want to do this, you better be very sure of yourself and dedicated. Plan to do everything yourself. While I think it's possible to pull this off, I am nonetheless extremely skeptical that you will succeed. But hey, at least you'll learn something in the process, so it's always worth a try.

Also, maybe think about why people reacted so negatively to your pitch before you try to convince anyone else to join your project.
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 06:44 PM by NaOH.)
16-06-2017 07:37 AM
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

I agree with NaOH somewhat. Hers is essentially an extension of my point - either put in the work to make this game, which you can do - or start again with a project you can acconplish.
16-06-2017 07:02 PM