What Have We Learned From MaGMML1 and 2?
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
What Have We Learned From MaGMML1 and 2?
For the benefit of anyone aspiring to host, judge, or design levels for future contests—not to mention anyone who wants to make a fangame of their own—I'd like to discuss what lessons we can learn from Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 1 and 2.

Specifically, I'm looking for insights on organizing and judging the contests; perspectives on being a contestant or just someone who's played/watched the final products; observations about level design (including the submitted levels, judge levels, and hubs); reactions to the special weapons and upgrades; thoughts about the graphics, music, and dialogue; tips on programming and designing custom assets...basically, any wisdom you can share regarding any aspect of the contests or games.

The goal is to come up with a sort of "do's and don'ts" list for the general public. I am fully expecting some friendly jokes at the expense of others, but let's try to focus on being helpful and analyzing the contests as a whole—not so much the specific people involved.

If you've somehow missed out on either game, here are some handy links:
MaGMML1 contest thread and download page
MaGMML1 results livestreams
MaGMML2 contest thread (no download yet)
MaGMML2 results livestreams

No matter where you go, there you are.
05-06-2017 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lizardcommando Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: What Have We Learned From MaGMML1 and 2?
I learned that enemy spam could really make or break a level.

Also, make sure you playtest your level using BOTH keyboard and game controller. Sometimes a level could be much harder due to the controller you are using. Think about how other players will be playing your levels.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 01:55 AM by lizardcommando.)
05-06-2017 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doctor Novakaine Offline
Regular
Registered

As a first-time level creator, I learned just how much work it is, and got a new respect for people who can put together an entire GAME of this stuff. Especially with original assets! I learned a ton about myself and my own approaches, strengths, and weaknesses as well during this experience, which I'm sure will make my future levels much stronger (and I have ideas coming up! I'm really looking forward to testing some new things that could be really nifty!).

On a broader level, I think it might be a good idea to have the engine thoroughly tested and the bug fixing done before the mass of construction starts. There was a huge amount of bug fixing going on during and after the contest submissions were actually in, and it led to situations where objects didn't behave as intended in the final levels. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad an extensive amount of effort went into bug testing! But it can leave uncertainty about how the final product actually turns out, since you don't know if what you put in gets changed. My brother's been badgering me to talk about implementing some sort of macro for automatically running each level after bugfixes to make sure that nothing gets broken beyond repair, but I'm not convinced that's really doable or at least worth the amount of time it would take; I think just having things more settled before people get into the construction would be preferable.

(Of course there's always going to have to be bug fixes, but hopefully with a settled engine they'll be much fewer and will be unlikely to have impact beyond a level or two.)

I like the special weapons and upgrades a lot overall! (Though it pains me that it takes so long to get the Energy Saver, haha.) I think there's a pretty good balance and I think that that kind of balance should be given heavy consideration when we decide on the next set. However, I think that whatever gets decided for special weapons, I think the utilities should stick with this set. Quite honestly, I think we've got the best selections we're going to get - Rush Coil and Jet are standbys, and Super Arrow and Wire provide some unique opportunities. And Super Arrow, I think, pretty much covers most of the other potential utilities (other than Rush Marine) that could be used in terms of functionality - it's pretty much all three MM2 items in one, and Balloon is just Item 1 recolored.

I think the hub layout is fine - I don't think it necessarily has to be straightforward, and it does encourage exploration and encountering other important locations in the hub for people who wouldn't be otherwise inclined to explore (though I'm one who does have that tendency). I'm a bit concerned about lag and load times, for obvious reasons, but I'll be interested to see what those are like when the game's ported over to Studio. I also like that the Noble Nickels have some concrete function rather than just being bragging rights rewards. That's something that should encourage people to include them in future contest levels.

Doc's LPs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAC65Yx...g0psBcAoOw
Your friendly neighborhood Nidoking!
06-06-2017 12:59 AM
MiniMacro Offline
Quack !
Registered

i learnt that there are enemy types that aren't shielded !
in all seriousness, i learnt several things about enemy placement

wow this is total BS
06-06-2017 01:00 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
I second Doctor Novakaine's sentiment about thoroughly testing the engine before distributing the devkit to contestants. I applaud the MaGMML2 devs for putting such a strong emphasis on playtesting and bugfixing, and it was smart to let contestants test out an in-progress devkit before the contest opened. I also recognize that there are SO many objects that can interact with each other (even before taking custom objects into account), and that fixing one thing can break something else. But I remember there was a mad rush to fix as much as possible the night before the contest opened, which is part of why there's still so much playtesting delaying the game despite that the results are in. I think the other lesson here, which is reflected in the game's new release date of "whenever it's done," is to let the content drive the deadlines (and not the other way around).

I'll toss out a few things I've learned:

- Playtest your level. Extensively. Get other people of varying skill and experience levels to play your level at different stages of development. It's amazing what people who think and play differently from you will discover.

- Make sure your level can be beaten (a) without taking damage, and (b) using the buster only. It doesn't necessarily need to be easy, but it should be feasible. If for whatever reason you feel it necessary to include unavoidable damage or forced weapon usage, make sure the player can't get stuck if they arrive at the challenge with one bar of health and no ammo.

- Place a checkpoint every 6-12 screens. The more difficult or time-consuming a section is, the more frequent the checkpoints should be. Don't forget to place freebie power-ups where you think a player might start running low on health or ammo. Even the best challenges can be utterly ruined if the player needs to keep redoing them.

06-06-2017 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NaOH Offline
Regular
Registered

Wedge Award
(06-06-2017 06:08 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:  - Place a checkpoint every 6-12 screens. The more difficult or time-consuming a section is, the more frequent the checkpoints should be. Don't forget to place freebie power-ups where you think a player might start running low on health or ammo. Even the best challenges can be utterly ruined if the player needs to keep redoing them.

This is really true, but also strange. The goal of the contest is to make a good Mega Man Level, and classic Mega Man levels always have 3 checkpoints (including the boss corridor), except for some Wily stages which can have fewer.

If your level is standing alone, 3 checkpoints is fine. But when playing 81 levels in a row, it can be very tiresome to play a level without tons of checkpoints.

In this regard, I think that good design for a level design contest differs from expected design for a classic Mega Man level.

That said, I actually prefer playing Rock Force on 4 checkpoint mode for much the same reason (a lack of patience), so maybe there's something deeper here about game design in general.
07-06-2017 02:24 AM
Entity1037 Offline
That One Person Who Does Things
Registered

Good level design for a level design contest differs from the expected design of an official Mega Man level because what you would expect to be good design of official Mega Man levels is of a specific design style and mentality. This is because deviation from the normal style and mentality of an official game in said game would make the game less cohesive. Level design contests don't have that cohesion problem. The contests allow and encourage any and all kinds of design styles and mentalities, so there is no expected standard of cohesion when playing all of the submissions. This means that what's considered good level design for the contests encompass anything and everything that could be considered good level design in general. I mean, my level LITERALLY HAS FORCED DEATH, and I got second place!

However, what can be considered good level design in MaGMML2 does fundamentally differ from the official games due to the lack of lives, which changes what kinds of stuff you can put in your level and still have it be reasonable. You can create extremely difficult, long stages that would be insane to ever do with a normal live system, but with the penalty of a game over taken out, death becomes a lot less punishing, and allows a stage like that to be manageable.

Honestly with Rock Force, I think that game just really has issues with its checkpoint frequency. Like the thought of playing that game with anything but the highest setting of checkpoints makes me shudder. The problem is that it forces the amount of checkpoints in all of the stages to be the same. There are stages that are easier than others, and stages that are way longer and harder than others like Port Man, whose stage even with the highest setting of checkpoints still needs more checkpoints, since its puzzles take so long. That, and it seems to space its checkpoints evenly throughout the stages by distance rather than by the amount of work the player has done. This game needs to either change the checkpoint setting to have more broad options and add in the necessary checkpoints for all of the stages, or to change the design of all of the levels to properly fit the fixed amount of checkpoints.

Programming a thing, ba da baa, programming a thing, ba da baa...
07-06-2017 03:16 AM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
I see the potential for veering off topic here (though it's an interesting line of conversation), so I'll post a reply in a spoiler and toss out another bullet point to steer us back.

- If you're going to make a crossover level of any sort, make sure it's clear to the player (or, at the very least, to the judges) exactly what franchise(s) you're referencing. Unless it's the type of level that looks like it could plausibly fit in the Mega Man universe, the perceived quality will probably depend a great deal on whether or not the player/judge gets the reference.

07-06-2017 05:16 AM
ACESpark Offline
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.
Administrators

Tetris AwardSpike AwardRockman AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorBooblight AwardRoll Caskett AwardSmash AwardAce Award
Checkpoints are a major point in stage design though, and its easy to get wrong.

I know how I handle checkpoints in Revolution and Quint's Revenge 2:
Did the player just go through a segment that would get old fast on replays (such as a yoku block segment, a puzzle, or a timed segment where the player cannot really influence how long it takes to complete)?
Has the player bypassed a instant-death obstacle or three?
Have they fought a batch of enemies that can easily kill a player not playing to their best?
Are they going to fight a boss of some sort?
Have they JUST fought a boss of some sort?

If any of these apply, I stick in a checkpoint. Sometimes this means there are a few checkpoints in the stage. Sometimes it means there are many. In the modern gaming era, with so many free games out there, it is probably best to allow more players of varying skill levels to complete your game, rather than just a elite few who can master your game. A player's tolerance for replaying things now-a-days is severely lessened, because often a player will simply shut off a frustrating game and never go back to it. I'm not saying the game should just hand victory to a player, but players already redoing things they have already completed often increases the frustration levels, especially if they die a lot.

Particularly for bosses and minibosses, as these challenges require different skills to platforming, and players are usually worse at boss fights than they are at platforming, I've found. Mega Man usually enforces boss checkpoints for end of stage bosses, but I feel mid-bosses should also get this luxury, as it is still a new challenge. If you have a long boss fight, consideration should also be put into having checkpoints between phases.

I also second the "crossover" thing - there were so many levels where I simply didn't get the reference. A level needs to stand by itself.

07-06-2017 12:01 PM
JupiHornet Offline
Regular
MaGMML Judge

GET. YOUR. LEVELS. TESTED. BY. OTHER. PEOPLE.
PLEASE ;A;

Also make sure your gimmicks are introduced well, although that wasn't too much of an issue in this contest's levels.
07-06-2017 01:35 PM
IcyTower Offline
Registered

I learned if playtester says do something then you must do it Big Grin
07-06-2017 02:35 PM
gone-sovereign Offline
Regular
Registered

Same as Doctor Novakaine above me, this was my first time doing anything level-design related. I had wanted to participate in MaGMML2 from the get-go, and I got that chance, but going in I still hadn't quite realized what that entailed. I took it at first as an opportunity to flaunt my artistic ability, and while that certainly got me far, I failed to grasp the nuances of good game design. The folks who had play-tested my level in its earliest stages can attest to this; it was enemy spam-happy, it didn't introduce any enemies or gimmicks properly, and it had some really bad design choices. After a few sessions of play-testing, I got serious -- I actually started to listen to other people's insights about level design, I took their criticisms to mind, and I did something about them. In this sense, MaGMML2 was very much a learning experience.

More than anything, though, I learned what NOT to do: I learned that I shouldn't have used GXSCC as my stage music (after I learned was GXSCC actually was). I learned not to throw a bunch of enemies and gimmicks together without properly introducing them first. I learned that my choice of setting probably wasn't the most thematically appropriate for a Mega Man level. I learned that breaking my level up into sections, each of which had little to do with the section that came before it or after it, was probably not the best idea. I learned that using conveyor belts for a Mecha Dragon fight was a horrible idea, though I maintain that if I'd just arranged the conveyor belts differently I could've still made it work. Overall, making a good Mega Man level is HARD. I know that now, and I know that I probably shouldn't have tried to go into this contest without first understanding that. It was just good fortune I suppose that granted me 21st place.

In lieu of my self-deprecating though, I also learned that maybe I have been a bit too hard on myself. I literally sat around for three months after the deadline unable to start or finish anything art-related because I felt so embarrassed by my level that I viewed it as a catastrophic failure and I wasn't going to be able to get over it until after the results came out. At the end, I still think my level isn't nearly as good as 21st place, but that result completely obliterated my piss-poor expectations. I did what I set out to do with my level: I spent a lot of time focusing on the graphics of my level, and making sure they were the best they could be. Even though in hindsight I could've done more with my graphics, the reactions I got were generally positive. Herein lies my struggle as an artist, though: I'm always pushing myself to do better. I chastise myself for things I could have done better in hindsight, and if the end result doesn't live up to my standards, I'll start to think that it's shit. This was an instance where despite my harsh self-criticisms, the end result wasn't as shit as I thought it was after all. Certainly there are things I'd like to go back and fix on my level even now that the contest is over, but since any of the changes I could make now won't be contributing to anything, I suppose I should just let it be and move on. Like I've said before, I'll take all of these lessons I've learned and I'll be back for round 3. Next time I won't be so stupid. Wink

"You have to understand that people aren't just people -- they're a collection of the choices they have made."
- Peckinpah, House of Gold & Bones Part 3: The Answers
-----------------
DeviantArt
Tumblr
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 06:55 PM by gone-sovereign.)
07-06-2017 06:51 PM
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardAuto AwardDoc Robot AwardRubber Mega Man Award
That y'all are a bunch of filthy casuls
And also to try to work around shitty life scheduling more than I did already (whichwasstillalotokay).

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
07-06-2017 11:47 PM
liquafool Offline
Registered

Following what Lamda said I learned that the time I allowed myself to work on a level was not sufficient (for me) to create any kind of focused experience. Because I worked on my entry in a short period of time, however, I got a glimpse of how I might fair in something like a game jam. I learned what I tend to prioritize, and what I'm so clueless about that it will require more research or practice.

As my first attempt at level design, I also got to see how I tend to create environments and how that clashes with the experience I actually intend to create. I'm not happy at all with what the end product of the level I made was but loved the experience because of that. 10/10 would submit again.
08-06-2017 01:38 AM
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardAuto AwardDoc Robot AwardRubber Mega Man Award
In fairness and for clarity's sake, due to really crap work scheduling at the time I had very literally a matter of just a few hours to both learn 8.1 (which I had never used prior and likely never will again as this whole thing reinforced my opinions on 8.1 being absolute trash) and the engine itself (I ain't even gonna go into my gripes with the engine setup), on top of formulating and making a level--not even counting nonstop every-new-addition playtesting since I of course had no time to have others test it themselves. The...thing I entered was so rushed even X3 and X6 don't wanna look at it.

It comes as no surprise, consequentially, that it wound up being shitty. But hey, I got one done in such a massively restrictive timeframe at least, and it placed two tiers higher than I'd thought it would.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
08-06-2017 04:39 AM
Blackhook Offline
Gonna get promoted...eventually
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Smash AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorIris Award
I've learned that I am completely unable to make games or stages even when everything is handed to me on a silver platter.

[Image: d82bcef28Chwb.png]
08-06-2017 10:01 AM
Smedis2 Offline
Are video games real?
Registered

Reggae AwardAuto AwardRimmer Award
start work before schedule and don't rush

CHECK OUT STUFF I MAKE OVER AT
[Image: d03b37145145880c6532998fa3a49c20.png]
Here's my TWITTER
08-06-2017 10:30 AM
Mick Galbani Offline
Fanthulhu
Super Moderators

Revo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorTetris AwardRoll Caskett AwardBeat AwardQuill AwardRush AwardSmash Award
Oh boy... I have a lot of different things I've learned (or am learning) through these two contests. In the interest of keeping things organized, I'll be arranging these insights into different sections, based on where I think they best fit.

Insights About Entering

Insights About Judging

Insights About Contest Organization

If I come up with more useful insights, I'll add them in a separate post.
08-06-2017 11:55 PM
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Beat AwardSpike Award
I'll toss out a few more insights:

Keep an eye on level length. This is both the number of screens (typically 20-30) and the amount of time it takes to complete the level (typically 3-5 minutes, once you know what you're doing). Longer levels are OK, but there needs to be enough creativity and variety in the challenges to justify the length, and the difficulty and pacing need to be balanced enough to keep players engaged. Just as aspiring chefs should practice making small meals before they cater a whole banquet, aspiring level designers should practice making short levels before attempting a level that's a game unto itself.

Clearly communicate expectations to the player. If your level is intended to be played a certain way, whether that's using special weapons or taking a pacifist approach or never pressing left, you need to train players to think like you do. Show them that playing the "wrong way" won't get them through the level. Require players to demonstrate their understanding before they are allowed to proceed, and support their learning with audiovisual clues and clear cause and effect.

Use the official games as a template for your graphics. Look at how many different types of tiles are used, and how they fit together. Notice the use of shadows along the ceiling. Observe how spikes and bottomless pits are clearly distinguishable from normal walls and passageways. Consider the color palette, the amount of detail in the foreground and background, and how enemies and obstacles look against their surroundings. No matter how far the graphics have come since MM1, the core artistic principles have remained largely the same.

13-06-2017 05:40 PM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

Something that playing MAGMML2 reminded me: Make sure you can't die after the boss does. There's nothing worse than beating a difficult boss, then getting hit by a stray bullet or falling into a pit and having to do the fight over again. There's a reason Kaizo Mario is such a meme...

[Image: 1WyygO9.png]

"I feel like there could've been much more done here, such as racial segregation" --Enjl, 2017
09-10-2017 03:12 AM