[Fan Game] Basic Mega Man Engine (GM Studio 1.4)
MiniMacro Offline
Quack !
Registered

Threads: 8
RE: Basic Mega Man Engine (GM Studio 1.4)
Mega Man should sink into the floor by 1 pixel when walking or standing

wow this is total BS
21-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

Threads: 9
(21-05-2018, 03:58 AM)N-Mario Wrote: So, the reason why there's another Mega Man GM engine is to have one that's more "simpler" than WreckingProgram's Engine?

Not really crazy about Game Maker, but I suppose the progress looks okay. I guess it doesn't hurt to have more than 1 engine. Perhaps some competition of all the other Mega Man engines (including my own), I suppose.

I plan on comment on every object to explain what it does.

Plus, I plan to make it beginner friendly, compare to other engines, where you need a lot of GML knowledge.

(21-05-2018, 12:28 PM)MiniMacro Wrote: Mega Man should sink into the floor by 1 pixel when walking or standing

I'll fix that.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2018, 09:27 PM by Thojoewhit.)
21-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

UPDATES:

[Image: N0ySjSj.gif]

the Collision code has been replaced with a better, more pixel perfect code by YoYo forums user CardinalCoder64. Now Mega Man and any other object won't be 1 or more pixels off from the wall/ground.

[Image: BrvbC9o.gif]

a Damage state has been added, based on Mega Man 8's version. A sprite edit of the Slide sprite is added for being damaged while sliding.

[Image: VIgZprm.gif]

2 Enemies have been coded. Sniper Joe from MM2, and a Met from MM9.

The Sniper Joe has 2 hitboxs, one for his shield, and another for his body.

A early version of the Mega Buster has been added, and will contain a charge shot next update.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
23-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

[Image: B1KZhw9.gif]

While this may seem like this has nothing to do with my Basic Mega Man Engine, it's a early look into my Plug Ball/Wall Crawl Enemy code, and I want your opinion to see if it looks too janky or not.

While I did use CardinalCoder64 Pixel Perfect code for collision (due to collision being a rather annoying thing to get right), I try to code everything else.

I personally think right now, it's O.K., but I'd like your opinion so I can improve it if need be.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2018, 10:10 PM by Thojoewhit.)
30-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

Do to the difficulty coding it, along with wanting to work on the engine it's self, Plug Ball will be replaced with Water Wave, as it will hopefully be easier to program. (Still a novice programmer Sad )

But, I do have some good news!

[Image: ZSx6Ur7.gif]

Ring Boomerang is now completed! (Minus the weapon drain) It can pass through enemy shields and is mostly accurate to MM4's version.

Hope to show you guys more in the coming week!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2018, 05:08 AM by Thojoewhit.)
09-06-2018, 02:52 AM
Find Reply
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Why does Mega Man change colors when he fires? How are you handling the palette shifting?

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Threxx1/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Threxx11
09-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Website Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

(09-06-2018, 06:49 AM)Threxx Wrote: Why does Mega Man change colors when he fires? How are you handling the palette shifting?

White Masking. Still adding the Shooting white masks. BTW, how does my Ring Boomerang coding look?

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
09-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Find Reply
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

(09-06-2018, 11:03 AM)Thojoewhit Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 06:49 AM)Threxx Wrote: Why does Mega Man change colors when he fires? How are you handling the palette shifting?

White Masking. Still adding the Shooting white masks. BTW, how does my Ring Boomerang coding look?

I would not recommend using whitemasks for recoloring, it creates a large amount of extraneous sprites in the engine and is also more difficult to modify if you add to the sprite sheet or make changes to the sprites. A shader would be easier to implement and offer a wider range of features for your engine, so I would highly recommend it.

Beyond this, looking at your GIF, Mega Man's jump seems way too slow and floaty. Where are you getting your physics values from? I originally thought this was due to the speed of the GIF but Ring Boomerang looks correct, so your jump is definitely wrong.

To be blunt, what does your engine offer for a potential fan-game creator that Mega Engine (or even Blyka's older GM8 engine) does not? It is one thing to take on a project like this for personal growth, but this engine seems less feature complete and less accurate than existing engines already available.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
09-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Website Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

(09-06-2018, 06:43 PM)Threxx Wrote: I would not recommend using whitemasks for recoloring, it creates a large amount of extraneous sprites in the engine and is also more difficult to modify if you add to the sprite sheet or make changes to the sprites. A shader would be easier to implement and offer a wider range of features for your engine, so I would highly recommend it.

Beyond this, looking at your GIF, Mega Man's jump seems way too slow and floaty. Where are you getting your physics values from? I originally thought this was due to the speed of the GIF but Ring Boomerang looks correct, so your jump is definitely wrong.

To be blunt, what does your engine offer for a potential fan-game creator that Mega Engine (or even Blyka's older GM8 engine) does not? It is one thing to take on a project like this for personal growth, but this engine seems less feature complete and less accurate than existing engines already available.

I've never used shaders before, and people still use White Masks (MAGMML2 for example, uses them). I'll looking into shaders though, if it does help in the long run.

Here's the physics I use.

Game runs at 60frames/s
Horizontal speed 1.375px/frame there is instant acceleration and only deceleration on ice (not sure what the decel rate is, haven't programmed ice yet)
jumping his vertical speed is set to 4.85px/frame (in mm4 and up, slightly different in mm1 and mm2)
gravity is 0.25px/frame (subtract 0.25 from vertical speed each frame not on ground)
if fall speed is faster than 7px/frame cap it at 7 (this number is 12 in mm1 and 2)
collision on ceiling is only checked when moving up and floor when moving down.
when MM's next frame would put him in the floor he is instead adjusted down to the pixel before contact with the floor.

This is mostly a personally project. If I do release it, compare to Blyka's MM Engine and Mega Engine, it's design for beginners in GML, like myself, hence the title "Basic Mega Man Engine". A nice start-of point, with comments on every object/script so people will understand what said object/script does, and modifiable so you could add additional characters and other stuff.

It's far from complete as of right now, but I do see your point in not offering more than the other engines. I do hope to improve the engine so it'll be at least a decent alternate to those engines, for people who are beginners of GML.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
09-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Find Reply
kuja killer Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 0
http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/R.../Data.html

this would be very helpful to you im sure. Has all the precise details on all the physics of the 6 nes mm's. all numbers are mostly expressed in hex though, (and is the best way to deal with)
10-06-2018, 01:37 AM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

(10-06-2018, 01:37 AM)kuja killer Wrote: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/R.../Data.html

this would be very helpful to you im sure. Has all the precise details on all the physics of the 6 nes mm's. all numbers are mostly expressed in hex though, (and is the best way to deal with)

I thought the physics I had were accurate, since I did look it up on there. I guess the gravity is the issue. Will post later when it's fixed.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
10-06-2018, 04:15 AM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

MOVEMENT TEST DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuy9mwjrebqp00...-.zip?dl=0

I need you guys to play this Movement Test to see if I need to tweak any physics issues.

This Demo includes:
2 Weapons - MM1-3 Mega Buster, MM4 Ring Boomerang
2 Enemies - MM2 Sniper Joe, MM9 Met
Sliding
WhiteMask (Added the Shooting ones, since I forgot to add them when I showed off Ring Boomerang)

Controls-

Arrows - Move
Z - Jump
X - Shoot
Z+Down - Slide
A - Switch Weapons

Will update the OG post.

I really need you guys to play this test demo and give feedback!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2018, 01:35 AM by Thojoewhit.)
10-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Find Reply
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Okay, after playing your demo, your values seem fairly accurate. I also was unable to trigger any collision bugs, which is good, but this room also doesn't offer much to test in the way of collision, so I'm not sure if that's because there are no bugs to find or if there are no bugs to find in this room.

Some things I did notice, although I assume most of these are due to things not yet being implemented:
  • Shots don't bounce off of shields, they only disappear as they did in Mega Man 1.
  • Enemies don't damage you at all.
  • The origin on the Joe's shots seems to be about a pixel too high.
  • Going to the left and off screen resets the game, but does not reset your current weapon.
  • The teleport animation seems way too fast.
This seems like a good start. "Useful" or not, a game engine is a good project to tackle to improve one's programming skills and I wish you good luck.

My media:
12-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Website Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

(12-06-2018, 02:58 PM)Threxx Wrote: Okay, after playing your demo, your values seem fairly accurate. I also was unable to trigger any collision bugs, which is good, but this room also doesn't offer much to test in the way of collision, so I'm not sure if that's because there are no bugs to find or if there are no bugs to find in this room.

Some things I did notice, although I assume most of these are due to things not yet being implemented:
  • Shots don't bounce off of shields, they only disappear as they did in Mega Man 1.
  • Enemies don't damage you at all.
  • The origin on the Joe's shots seems to be about a pixel too high.
  • Going to the left and off screen resets the game, but does not reset your current weapon.
  • The teleport animation seems way too fast.
This seems like a good start. "Useful" or not, a game engine is a good project to tackle to improve one's programming skills and I wish you good luck.

Thank you for playing my little tech demo! I'm grateful you provided some feedback! Big Grin

I do plan on having another demo some point this month, and will include a bigger room so the collision can be tested more.

When I was playing Mega Man Anniversary Collection, (More specificity, MM3), I noticed my jump sprites in my engine were off by around 3 pixels. I fixed that.

The MM1/2 shield enemy shot reaction was intentional.
The damage state is still being refined, so I disabled it in the demo.
Room Resetting is still in the works, since this is still in alpha state.
I'll fix both the joe bullet and the teleport sprite speed.

Right now, I'm working on Bubble Lead, and Big Stomper. I'll post some updates some point this week, if I can.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
12-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

NOTE: Things may be subject to changes.

BUBBLE LEAD + Weapon Swap Icon

[Image: zBpqkSw.gif]

Back when the Engine was a GM 8.1 engine, bubble lead was a weapon I wanted to do, but collision issues prevented me from completing it. Now that the collision issue has been fixed, it's about 80% done! It does more damage to enemies compare to MM2. Since Bubble Lead has been added, Leaf Shield will be replaced with Star Crash.

A Weapon Swap Icon has been added. It's not 100% completed, but it's getting there.

BIG STOMPER

[Image: EypcFeZ.gif]

The most complex enemy so far, until I program Ring Man. After 2 short jumps, the 3 jump will be a high jump. Right now, I'd say it's about 80% completed.

Provide any feedback! I'd like to hear what you say!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
14-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

A Semi-Big update is coming tomorrow! A few things have been added to the engine, along with some fixes! Hope to see you guys later!

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
16-06-2018, 01:32 AM
Find Reply
ansoncheng Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 4
When have engine download gmk?
16-06-2018, 04:53 AM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

(16-06-2018, 04:53 AM)ansoncheng Wrote: When have engine download gmk?

When it's 100% done! Right now, it's about 25% done.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
16-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Find Reply
ansoncheng Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 4
Ok
16-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Find Reply
Thojoewhit Online
Regular Joe
Registered

Due to fixing some issues with a certain "Utility Item", the Semi-Big update will be posted tomorrow, hopefully.

I'm blue dabodedabodi
I'm cyan dabodedabodi
-Megaman
17-06-2018, 05:25 AM
Find Reply