Personalized NetBattle Emulation Device
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

Exclamation Personalized NetBattle Emulation Device
Greetings! This will probably seem outlandish, but bear with me for a moment.

This idea is for a portable MMBN NetBattle Machine. This device would be the approx. size of a Game Boy Advance (however, as long as the components fit inside, it can be any size.)

The emulation would run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W model (I have been assured that it can run this type of program.) There would be a micro-USB for charging, as well as a headphone jack for audio (although speakers are always an option.) The screen would just need to fit a 240x160 display (many displays are 3:4, so there would be some black pixels on the perimeter.) The shell would be 3-D printed plastic, similarly shaped to a GBA, and feature the same kind of button configuration.

The game itself would feature only a PET Start menu with access to all available features:

An un-skip-able tutorial, showing how the entire game works. I know, un-skip-able, but with all the new features, it would actually be needed.

The "Folder" option would include three editable folders. The Chip options would be 200 standard chips from across the various MMBN games (bneing fair and balanced about it), as well as various Mega Chips, and eight Giga Chips.

The "SelectNavi" option would display a sprite of your currently equipped NetNavi, which can be switched in this menu. The options would include any NetNavis with complete sprite sheets (ProtoMan, GutsMan, not Glyde, boss Navis, etc.) We (my brother and I) plan to also include three customized NetNavis, which are our own personal Navis: Dataman.EXE (brother's), Muse.EXE (mine), and Aegys.EXE (sister's). There would be three savable configurations of NaviCust programs. The option for selecting which one would be located in the screen to the right, along with a full program list.

The "NaviCust" option would feature a fully-expanded grid for customization, as well as compressed versions of all the programs (no sense in using compression codes.) The programs available would be the base utility programs (Atk+1, Chrg+1, Spd+1, HP+, BugStop, etc.) as well as versus programs (Rush, Beat, Tango, FstBarr.) The rules for program layout would be the same as previous titles.

The "Records" option would display your win/loss ration, as well as your marathon mode time and wave record. This option would also include a custom Battlefield interface, where different configurations of battlefields could be constructed and saved. The interface for this would be the same size as a Custom Screen (half the screen size) and would feature a moving icon over each panel. There would be a list of tiles that you could choose from, as well as a "mirror" option, to reflect those changes on the opposite side of the field. If you want the whole field custom, the screen would hop to the other side of the field, and the rest would filled out.

The "Battle" option would include the multiplayer interface. Multiplayer would occur over a micro-USB cord (although Bluetooth may be an option. Not quite sure about the reliability. Online would be very difficult.) Battle options would include:
  • Rank 1-2-3, using specific folders and programs, as well as the same Navi (the Navi can be decided upon here.)
  • Marathon Mode, where you fight waves of viruses, with increased difficulty and numbers as you go higher.
  • Single Battle, a single battle using whatever is equipped at the time.
  • Triple Battle, a best-two-out-of-three battle using whatever is equipped.
  • Custom Battle, a mode that allows you to manipulate various factors, such as the time/turn limit, the field configuration (chosen from a list, as well as your own saved configurations), a handicap, which would clear one side of the field, as well as what Navi is being used.

The battle mechanics would also need a small overhaul. Where the "Cross System" was in BN6 would instead have four different abilities for each Navi, similar to the Navi Attack Chips used while operating a Navi other than MegaMan. These attacks would not freeze time, and could only be used once per battle. In MegaMan's case, he would instead get a random Style/Soul/Cross from one of the games. Activating a BN3 attack could give him Shield, Guts, Custom, etc. along with an elemental alignment. A BN4 attack would give him ProtoSoul, FireSoul, etc, along with the strengths and weaknesses of said soul. A BN5 attack would do the same, as would a BN6 attack. However, all of these would only last three turns, after which he cannot use that game's attack again. The base HP of MegaMan is 1000 HP. The default RegMem for the folders is 50MB. The other Navis have various HP, which would be shown on the Navi Select menu.

I personally think this would be an awesome game idea, and I'm currently working on assets for it. My brother is currently learning Python to create the game. If this ever does turn into a workable game, I would be happy to provide the finished game, as well as the code, and schematics for the shell, free of charge, right here. Let me know if there's any interest for this kind of game, cause we could always use someone who can code. Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think!

~~The man sat upon the watchtower, but did not watch, only towered.~~

08-07-2017 04:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

RE: Personalized NetBattle Emulation Device
Since my brother and I have decided to begin working on this device, which we are now calling "Battle Network", I have made a emblem list of the Navis that would (ideally) be available to fight with. The list totals 33 established NetNavis, 3 personal NetNavis, and a NormalNavi. All of the chosen NetNavis already have complete sprite sheets for player-based actions (throw, shunt, flinch, sword, swipe, move, buster, etc.) so they shouldn't be too difficult to program. Every Navi will also have four alternative attacks, much like the Navi Chips available while operating an alternate NetNavi in BN6. These attacks are one-time, non-dimming attacks. This is the list of NetNavi's viable for this program:
Here's a diagram of the available NetNavi's emblems, which would be displayed in the upper-left corner of the PET Menu. Using a NormalNavi results in a blank emblem.

This is a mock-up of the main PET screen. There is no overworld, as the whole game is the battle system only. The emblem in the top-left changes when a different Navi is chosen. The Navi display can show the full height of every Navi, including KnightMan.EXE, who is the biggest Navi in the list. The HP displays the customized health on the left, and the original health on the right. For an uncustomized MegaMan, that number is 1000 HP. Those blue icons in the top bar indicate how close the program is to completion. Bear in mind, this is just a mockup. Let me know what you think!

(This post was last modified: 30-07-2017 03:49 AM by DarkDeviant.)
09-07-2017 08:11 AM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

These are the four "alt-attacks" that MegaMan would have in place of the Cross System. Every Navi will have four non-dimming, one-time attacks at their disposal. These attacks have no code, and can be used with any chip, much the same way a Cross could be used even if chips were chosen. However, these attacks will take up a slot in the chip select. MegaMan himself will have these Game Forms. Using, say, "BN3", will grant MegaMan a random style and elemental alignment. "BN4" & "BN5" will grant Double Souls from those games (excluding Chaos Unison), and "BN6" will grant a random Cross (including Beast Cross). Once these have been used, they may not be activated again. All of these forms will function as they did in their respective games, including damage multipliers, elemental weaknesses, and abilities (such as Recycle or Trans Arm). Let me know what you think!

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 08:09 AM by DarkDeviant.)
10-07-2017 01:27 AM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

These are three mock-ups of the Custom Screen that would be used. The one on the left shows the general layout without any chips selected. The middle one shows a full custom screen, including the chip art, chip codes, attack values, elemental indication, as well as what chips have been selected previous. The right one displays the alt-attack screen (in MegaMan's case, the Cross System) which would display the four attacks that can be selected. The ones that have been used are grayed out (I may just exclude them entirely), the blue ones are still available, and the colored one is the one currently selected. Let me know what you think!

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 08:08 AM by DarkDeviant.)
11-07-2017 05:26 AM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

These are the (barely edited) panels that will be used for the battle field. They are also part of the field configuration menu, which lets you create custom field conditions that can then be loaded via the "Custom Mode" NetBattle option. Also, if you're re-purposing two different tiles, make sure you color-match. The bottom two are examples of color matching importance. The left one is not color matched, where the right one is. Subtle, but noticeable. Let me know what you think!

11-07-2017 08:08 AM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

This is an animated GIF I made of the tile's animation sequences. The Heat Panels and Poison Panels run on at the same speed, the Holy Panels are separate, and the Panel Select operates 5 frames on, 5 frames off. Let me know what you think!

11-07-2017 07:28 PM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

I've been working on the Battle Chip images for a while, and they're almost done. However, I have also made the official art for my NetNavi, Muse.EXE. She was designed to be a graphic design aide, to help me create art as well as give me constructive criticism. I decided with a female NetNavi because there just aren't that many in MMBN. Five, and that's if you include two androgynous characters, and one that we only ever see in flashbacks. Plus, a female's perspective on art and designs are always a plus. I gave her a navy blue theme with bronze accents and gray trim. The lightbulb is meant to represent ideas, and her wrist and knee embellishments are modeled after ink blocks. Her buster is a condensed mechanical pencil and her sword is in the shape of an elongated X-Acto blade. Let me know what you think!

This is my brother's NetNavi, Dataman.EXE. I used very old concept art (I'm talkin' like the first pitch for MegaMan.EXE) to make Dataman look more analog than digital. The color scheme is red, white accents, and grey secondary. I wonder who that color scheme is based on...Let me know what you think!

Here's my sister's NetNavi, Aegys.EXE. Her's is just a general-purpose NetNavi designed to look cool. Let me know what you think!

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 02:52 AM by DarkDeviant.)
10-08-2017 04:00 PM
DarkDeviant Offline
AlphaRemnant
Registered

I've finally finished the Battle Chip Library! These are the Battle Chips that would be available to use for Battle Network. The full list is below (I tried to keep it as close to BN6 as possible, as that game was wonderfully balanced.) I also attached the Chip images for your viewing pleasure. I re-purposed some Chip art for different Chips, resized or recolored some, fixed others, and made a couple scratch ones too. Let me know what you think!

(This post was last modified: 16-08-2017 09:28 AM by DarkDeviant.)
16-08-2017 09:26 AM