Transitions
r7465 Offline
Registered

Transitions
I am working on a fangame, and so far progress looks promising. However, there are two problems -

1) How do I make transitions similar to the mega man series

2) How do I deactivate objects outside view

I haven't really gotten into this whole camera thing so help would be appreciated.
01-08-2017 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: Transitions
In what engine?
01-08-2017 08:21 PM
r7465 Offline
Registered

(01-08-2017 08:21 PM)notencore Wrote:  In what engine?

Sorry, forgot to specify. Game Maker 8.0.
01-08-2017 09:48 PM
r7465 Offline
Registered

Bump.
02-08-2017 12:06 PM
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardRubber Mega Man AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardDoc Robot Award
Quote:1) How do I make transitions similar to the mega man series

Series of camera-object systems that tell the camera when to stop, move in a direction, and player-collision objects that decide whether or not a hole is a transition hole or a death pit.

Quote:2) How do I deactivate objects outside view

Code:
instance_deactivate_region(view_xview, view_yview, view_xview+256, view_yview+224, false, true)

in your camera or global controller or whatever object's always gonna be around. Aforementioned camera object is the best place for this.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
02-08-2017 06:23 PM
r7465 Offline
Registered

(02-08-2017 06:23 PM)Lamda Wrote:  
Quote:1) How do I make transitions similar to the mega man series

Series of camera-object systems that tell the camera when to stop, move in a direction, and player-collision objects that decide whether or not a hole is a transition hole or a death pit.

Quote:2) How do I deactivate objects outside view

Code:
instance_deactivate_region(view_xview, view_yview, view_xview+256, view_yview+224, false, true)

in your camera or global controller or whatever object's always gonna be around. Aforementioned camera object is the best place for this.

Thanks, it worked, but like how do I code out the transition and the ability to lock the camera?
03-08-2017 12:27 AM
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Roll Caskett AwardTempo AwardRubber Mega Man AwardChiptune AwardPixel Master AwardAce AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorC^2 Super Moderator AwardIris AwardDoc Robot Award
Quote:Series of camera-object systems that tell the camera when to stop, move in a direction, and player-collision objects that decide whether or not a hole is a transition hole or a death pit.

There are a million and one ways to do this, which is why I'm not giving you straight-up code for it. Better for you that you learn and figure out a system that works best for you than scratch your head trying to figure out a complex system someone else came up with and not develop your own coding style in the process. Plus, there are a million and one ways to do it. I would imagine, since you appear to be fairly new to the language, that the method(s) I use would probably be too confusing for you at this stage and you'd spend more time trying to figure out how it works than you would figuring out and creating your own system.

If you want the view to follow the player,
Code:
view_xview
and
Code:
view_yview
are your friends.

If you want the view to follow an invisible camera object that's the size of the view, then all you're doing is checking object positions and boundaries.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 07:46 AM by Lamda.)
03-08-2017 07:46 AM
r7465 Offline
Registered

(03-08-2017 07:46 AM)Lamda Wrote:  
Quote:Series of camera-object systems that tell the camera when to stop, move in a direction, and player-collision objects that decide whether or not a hole is a transition hole or a death pit.

There are a million and one ways to do this, which is why I'm not giving you straight-up code for it. Better for you that you learn and figure out a system that works best for you than scratch your head trying to figure out a complex system someone else came up with and not develop your own coding style in the process. Plus, there are a million and one ways to do it. I would imagine, since you appear to be fairly new to the language, that the method(s) I use would probably be too confusing for you at this stage and you'd spend more time trying to figure out how it works than you would figuring out and creating your own system.

If you want the view to follow the player,
Code:
view_xview
and
Code:
view_yview
are your friends.

If you want the view to follow an invisible camera object that's the size of the view, then all you're doing is checking object positions and boundaries.

I figured out how to lock the views... but I'm still struggling at transitions, I can't find a code and most of my tries usually lead to messed up camera views and most of the time they don't work. Can you help any further?
04-08-2017 02:57 PM