[Game]: Protoman's Quest
Foxiliuth Offline
Registered

Protoman's Quest
Hi everyone, I'm Foxiliuth and I'd like to present you a little project I'm working on. It's provisional name is ''Protoman's Quest'' and it's a fangame of megaman where the main character, instead of megaman, is protoman.

This fangame is being developed on Blyka's engine and it's growing slowly but steadily. The 8 robomasters are:

-Fireman
-Metalman
-Magnetman
-Dustman
-Skullman
-Napalmman
-Knightman
-Tornadoman

I know they aren't original at all, but I think i'ts ok for my first MM fangame.

I've studied a lot of the gml that comes on the engine, and I also developed some stuff like shifting blocks (like the ones on elecman's stage (MM1)) or weapons like metal blade, but it would be very helpful if I could get some help making gimmicks.

Here are some images of what I've made:

Also, any feedback is apreciated, so go ahead and give me your opinion.

Thanks

P.S.: As I said earlier, this engine was created by Blyka, I'm just using it.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 02:28 AM by Foxiliuth.)
02-08-2017 02:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: Protoman's Quest
Wow, this actually looks like it has some potential!

My biggest concern is that it looks like your game has a lot of spikes. Tone it down a little! The official games tend to save spikes for special sections or in wily stages, not all over.
02-08-2017 05:45 AM
m9m Offline
not a furry shut up >:CCCC
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
Judging from the screenshots, it seems like you're using waaaayyy too many spikes. You should use enemies to challenge the player much more often than spikes, as enemies are not instant death, while spikes are instant death if you touch them.

If it helps, you should always introduce any new gimmick or enemy in a safe environment before challenging the player -- It's so important, I think you should do the same for any reused enemies from past Mega Man titles.

The weapon menu you posted seems to be inconsistent with the robots you have in your game. What I mean is, you have Crystal Eye, Power Stone, Charge Kick and Water Wave, which don't correspond to any of the robots you've listed in the OP. You should give the player some utility weapons too, like a Rush Coil and Rush Jet equivalent (unless you're designing your game with those being unavailable in mind).

Also judging from the weapons menu, you seem to have lives in your game. While nothing is wrong with that, I honestly think lives are an outdated and, dare I say, archaic concept brought over from the arcades era. There's no reason to kick the player in the nuts for not being good enough by throwing a Game Over at them, as they now have to redo the entire stage again, and that's no fun. You can repurpose 1ups to be an instant full health refill, kinda like that one instance of the L tank before fighting Darkman 4 in MM5.
If you do this, then I think you should have the energy and weapon capsules respawn after death, and place them more often than not, especially in fortress stages (where you don't usually get refills between stages!)

I think that in Metal Man's stage, at least judging by the screenshots (again), that background is too busy. Metal Man's BG in MM2 is much less claustrophobic, in that not everything is tightly packed in together.

All that aside, I think this is promising enough. It's made with Blyka's engine, which is outdated IMHO, seeing as there's the superior Mega Engine, but this looks like it's been started before that was even a thing, so fair enough, as long as it's not 30fps.

nimbo
03-08-2017 10:11 AM
M-Jacq Offline
I make Let's Players cry.
Registered

I'll note that many of the spikes in your level could easily be replaced with enemies. For instance, in Ice Man's stage, which also had yoku block sections, the yoku blocks were over a Spine that went back and forth on the floor, penalizing the player for failure to complete the segment but not outright killing them like the spikes in that final screenshot would.

Likewise, is there any reason you need a spike ceiling there in that second-to-last screenshot when, I don't know, an Octopus Battery would give you an obstacle to slide under?

[Image: 1WyygO9.png]

"I feel like there could've been much more done here, such as racial segregation" --Enjl, 2017
03-08-2017 05:33 PM
Foxiliuth Offline
Registered

Thanks for the advice! I'll change the spikes for something else and I'll see how to implement the gimmicks without killing the player haha.
03-08-2017 07:02 PM