Rhythm is currently piecing together the list for this year's Wedge Award given annually. If you joined the community after November 25, 2016 and have either only come into DeadChat, posted in the Smeghead forum, or visited the Inc Discord, please send Rhythm a private message to let him know you are an active member of Inc and we can include you in our Wedge Award Eligible Nominees List. Check your profile for your join date before sending the PM. Thank You!

[Fan Game] Mega Man: Dark Carnival (early WIP)
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Mega Man: Dark Carnival (early WIP)
Does anyone remember when I pitched a fan game idea called Mega Man: Parade? It's been renamed to Mega Man: Dark Carnival

[Image: 442d79d32e.png]

Well it wasn't received well... But that's good, because I was able to see what went wrong and fix some of the issues before such crap would end up in the final game.

Now some actual work on the game has gotten done. Using WreckingPrograms' Mega Engine ported into Game Maker Studio 2.

We're currently working on perfecting Mega Man's abilities before we make any real levels, since I want them to be designed around what he can do.

Our team so far

1337gamer15 - Project Leader

Renhoek - Lead Programmer

Karasz - Enemy Designer

CosmicGem - Music Composer

Our Public Discord

Now firstly, I'm aware a lot of people said the robot master designs were awkward, so I fixed up 5 of them so far.

Here's some concept roughs for the new designs
Now then for the actual progress we have

Progress has been a wee on the slow side, mainly due to lack of free time on my and Renhoek's end, but we're still getting places.

We could use some additional help on this project. If you are interested in helping with program the baddies among other things, or are interested in helping me polish my spritework,
Please contact us on

Our Public Discord

I'll spill extra details on what needs to be done. There will be design documents that you can read for further instructions on your own time.

Your help will be appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 15-08-2017 12:44 AM by 1337gamer15.)
14-08-2017 01:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
notencore Offline
Still Here
Registered

RE: Mega Man: Dark Carnival (early WIP)
can butterfly man get a seizure warning plz
15-08-2017 12:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

Interesting. The "Theme" is unique. I HIGHLY recommend a Clown Man cameo
15-08-2017 06:29 PM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

(15-08-2017 06:29 PM)ApselTheBlue Wrote:  Interesting. The "Theme" is unique. I HIGHLY recommend a Clown Man cameo

I'm actually planning there'll be a random chance in that he may replace Auto in the shop, talking cynical and not really knowing what the items do.

"Hurry up and defeat Rho so we can go back to being enemies again ya freak!"

1-up "It's your face, would ya like me to describe how much it disgusts me?"

W-Tank "Does the W stand for Wily?"

Energy Balancer "I think you throw this and something... i dunno, looks real hi-tech though."

Either way he'll be having a cameo as a jack in the box the player uses to bounce around in Quilt Woman's stage.

[Image: 6a993ba79d.gif]
15-08-2017 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maskedbyte Offline
Regular
Registered

Your shield gif looks like a concept animation because, well, the weapon appears to be at a higher resolution than the rest of the game.So is it just a concept animation?

[Image: SgZehRu.png]
16-08-2017 05:03 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

No it's working in game just fine, was the first weapon we implemented. It might be because the engine we're using allows it to animate more smoothly. We have to get it to spin faster when the player holds jump to let them know it's working. It's basically a shield that you can also use to fall slower.

We're not making this game with the limits of the NES in mind. I mean it'll still look 8-bit, but think of it as more of like a Sonic Mania sort of thing. I'm even planning on giving Mega Man more frames of animation, idle animations, and panting when he's low on health.
16-08-2017 12:22 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

(16-08-2017 12:22 PM)1337gamer15 Wrote:  We're not making this game with the limits of the NES in mind. I mean it'll still look 8-bit, but think of it as more of like a Sonic Mania sort of thing. I'm even planning on giving Mega Man more frames of animation, idle animations, and panting when he's low on health.
So, more along the lines of Rockman 4: Minus Infinity? That used a MMC5 mapper program to do all sorts of crazy stunts.
17-08-2017 12:40 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

To an extent, though maybe not as hectic. I do want to make sure Mega Man doesn't do anything that would be too unorthodox for classic mega man standards, nor change what players are already familiar with. I do want to make sure this is the most powerful incarnation of Mega Man yet, with every weapon of his having some grander use besides just being fancier ways of shooting. You'll always have your buster at your disposal, and weapons that allow you to fall slower, air dash, retrieve items, create platforms, decoy bomb enemies, deny areas from baddies, explode, and even slow down time to allow you to exaggerate vulnerability or strategically decide which enemy on screen is the biggest threat to you.

I'm even planning using a W tank when all your ammo belts are full will temporarily perma-charge your buster for a wee bit.

RM4MI is a wee too berserk and throws so many strange things your way too quickly, without taking the time to formally introduce you to things. Feeds you too much at once.

One ultimate goal of this game is to ensure that it can be played even by someone who has never played a mega man game before.
17-08-2017 01:44 AM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

I see, in that case I may eagerly look forward to this. That said, will the game have controller compatibility from the outset? I hope that the level designs will be balanced, too.
17-08-2017 02:21 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

If we can get it working yes. From what I've heard it isn't hard to do with game maker studio 2. I'm not the one doing the programming though, just the lead and most sprite and art assets.
17-08-2017 02:39 AM
GavinDragon Offline
Dragon Kitty
Registered

would you like some professional art
20-08-2017 12:46 AM
Valo Offline
Nooblet Tour guide
Registered

Iris AwardDeadchat AwardRush AwardUDON AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorZero AwardInafune AwardRubber Mega Man AwardPixel Master Award
(20-08-2017 12:46 AM)GavinDragon Wrote:  would you like some professional art

Just a word of advice, dont get involved with this one.

[Image: RF8iZPq.png]
20-08-2017 01:30 AM
Zynk Offline
An Indecisive Slacker
Registered

Revo Remix Contributor
(20-08-2017 01:30 AM)Valo Wrote:  

To be fair, he wasn't referring to anyone. Maybe he's referring to you. Thank you for the sacrifice. Big Grin
20-08-2017 02:58 AM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

Sure, depends what it is though, I mean I could have some help making more art assets like sprites, but promotional art isn't a concern of mine right now, not until we can at least get a couple stages done to confirm that it will follow through.

Contact on our discord for more details.

https://discord.gg/UQD6EYz
20-08-2017 04:49 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

Not sure how good GavinDragon is, but Valo and KarakatoDzo are among the best artists around here, so they could be considered.
20-08-2017 07:58 PM
1337gamer15 Offline
Regular
Registered

(20-08-2017 07:58 PM)barberbarberjoe Wrote:  Not sure how good GavinDragon is, but Valo and KarakatoDzo are among the best artists around here, so they could be considered.

I haven't really tried contacting Karakato on the matter yet, so I'm not sure if he's interested. However Valo has already made numerous offenses by trolling our discord
(20-08-2017 01:30 AM)Valo Wrote:  

and seeing how he's already trying to deter GavinDragon from contributing to the project he is banned.

Either way, it might be a good idea to give lesser known spriters on this site a chance to rise.

Art isn't my biggest concern at the moment anyways, i need more programmers to get things functional. We aren't at the art pass point of development yet.
20-08-2017 08:16 PM
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

Oh, that is perfectly understandable. Karakato does do RMs from any project regardless if anyone asks him or not though, so I think you'll be covered in that department anyway.

I still hope you get volunteering programmers though.
21-08-2017 09:20 PM
Valo Offline
Nooblet Tour guide
Registered

Iris AwardDeadchat AwardRush AwardUDON AwardRevo Remix ContributorSIBRE ContributorZero AwardInafune AwardRubber Mega Man AwardPixel Master Award
If by trolling your discord you mean giving you honest critique that you ignore because A) you are too dense to care and B) You literally dont care, you're only using megaman as a cover because you cant drum up interest in a real ip, then yes i totally trolled your discord. And i highly doubt kara wants to work for your project either. You know what, in the process of typing this post i actually asked him! he says no. surprise surprise.

I made my post in this thread to steer the uninformed away from an asshole dev with worse feedback skills than eternal. And from the stories I've heard you have yet to clean up your act in the slightest.

[Image: RF8iZPq.png]
22-08-2017 01:12 AM