Mega Man V Colorization
RushJet1 Offline
Registered

Mega Man V Colorization
Hey, I've found en emulator that lets you colorize old GB games and have started on colorizing Mega Man V. For starters, I colored in Mega Man with his NES colors (and made it work on the GB, the sprites are slightly different), as well as a few enemies in Mercury's stage and Mercury himself. I got the Mercury (and several other stardroid) recolors from Bonglorio's thread here.

I was wondering if anyone wants to help with the colorization of this game. Basically just post images of your colorization of the graphics and I can import it into the emulator's system for colorization. I intend to do a music playthrough of this game and wanted to have it be in color for that video, but it's a lot of work and I'm not really a graphics guy.

Some basic guidelines: I basically want the game to look close to the NES games, but the NES palette isn't strictly adhered to. I also want the colors to look like they belong - ie not what Capcom was doing with MMV in "Mega Man Mania" which seemed to just slap a bunch of bright colors on things, because hey, it's in color now.

[Image: MMMania_screen1.jpg]
(an example of what I don't want to see)

[Image: oc.png]
My first mockup for colorization - probably would change a few things (and the red background isn't really feasible)

This is a video of where I am now. None of the backgrounds are done.

Mercury's stage select image. The Capcom art for this differs from the sprite so that's why the blue chestplate.

Note that I am not really set on keeping the colors I've chosen so far (except for the bird enemy, I like that one, Capcom's version is a dark purple for some reason). Hopefully people will be interested in helping!

Oh and the emulator is GBE+. I'm working with the dev of the emulator to fix bugs with it and reduce the game's slowdown potentially.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 05:03 AM by RushJet1.)
11-11-2017 05:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
barberbarberjoe Offline
Postman
Registered

RE: Mega Man V Colorization
I would say adhering to NES limitations (going by the indexed NES palettes) would actually be the best solution. Not only because it would look more faithful, but also that not strictly adhering to them is not much better than putting in random bright colors, as you said.

That said, I hope this endeavor comes into fruition!
11-11-2017 03:12 PM
Wave Offline
Resident holy man of Uluru
Registered

Rhythm Co-Admin Award
I'd be happy to give it a try. I started by having a look at the misc sheet.

[Image: Kz7oQBD.png]
Just as a start here's two versions of a Mega Man portrait (idk when these are used ingame).
They both use palettes from MM4's intro portraits of Mega Man, except the upper version uses an extra shade of blue for the cyan sections. It's also taken from the intro, from the frames of Mega Man flashing while standing on the train.

m8
14-11-2017 06:47 AM
RushJet1 Offline
Registered

Hey that looks great, thanks!

I've done a bit more work on enemies. I have used Capcom's coloring where I feel like it fits, and have made changes in some of these to fit the NES's palette and because some of them are a bit oddly colored.

14-11-2017 11:49 AM
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

Revo Remix ContributorUpgrade AwardChiptune Award
(14-11-2017 11:49 AM)RushJet1 Wrote:  Hey that looks great, thanks!

I've done a bit more work on enemies. I have used Capcom's coloring where I feel like it fits, and have made changes in some of these to fit the NES's palette and because some of them are a bit oddly colored.

ehhhhh, it looks like you arent sticking to any color limits and it just looks bad

14-11-2017 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RushJet1 Offline
Registered

The original sprites are very much not made in the same way that color ones would be made in- there's shading on everything because all the shades are gray anyway.

I could just get rid of the shading and simplify colors, like this-

14-11-2017 01:34 PM
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

Revo Remix ContributorUpgrade AwardChiptune Award
(14-11-2017 01:34 PM)RushJet1 Wrote:  The original sprites are very much not made in the same way that color ones would be made in- there's shading on everything because all the shades are gray anyway.

I could just get rid of the shading and simplify colors, like this -

[image]

no, that's too plain. i was thinking more like this

[Image: image.png]

14-11-2017 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
N-Mario Online
Video Game Veteran
Registered

Rimmer Award
This is all neat and all, but isn't there a colorization script and modified GBA emulator that can change colors of any GB game? There's a youtuber named DoctorArcade who posted videos of some megaman GB games given the color script.

Unless in this attempt actually changes the sprites, for whatever reason.

[Image: dolphin-turn.gif]
Are you MAN enough
to go for a ride?
15-11-2017 01:55 AM
RushJet1 Offline
Registered

That one makes you strictly adhere to the gameboy's 4 colors per sprite rule for the entire sprite which isn't necessarily what they would have done. There is almost always only one enemy on the screen at a time, so they could have done overlaid Sprites, and I definitely would have done this for the bosses. That same script tries to use memory addresses to identify what part of the game you're in, but it means that all enemies are going to be the same color in each level because it can't differentiate levels. You also need a new file for every single level that way. There's a ton of problems with using that thing with Mega Man v. That's why the guy uploads individual levels as colorized levels, and why Mega Man has a blue face.
15-11-2017 07:40 AM
Wave Offline
Registered

Rhythm Co-Admin Award
So this system you're using allows you to make adjacent colours the same colour? That makes things easier, I was scratching my head over some things.

[Image: H9LRaGe.png]
Rock from the intro, two styles.

[Image: K38L0Dq.png]
Roll with variation in hair shading. Also the last one has a black mouth, are you allowed to recolour black?

[Image: tqzkqSp.png]
Doctor Light's lab, I don't know how/if this is separated into different sprites or anything. It was on the misc sheet like this.

[Image: 3LLOLkI.png]
The enemies Biribaree and Piriparee as per Capcom colours. I removed the primary colour shading on the limbs because it didn't work with white as the lightest, but I kept it for the torso. I also made Biribaree's backpack yellow because I didn't want to add red for one sprite.

m8
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 08:13 AM by Wave.)
15-11-2017 08:11 AM
RushJet1 Offline
Registered

The emulator can replace whatever tiles with whatever Graphics you want, even more high-resolution ones.
15-11-2017 09:46 AM
Wave Offline
Registered

Rhythm Co-Admin Award
Useful info, thank you.

[Image: 54jz0UT.png]
I think this is Terra arriving as a meteor, so I didn't use the normal MM explosion colours of white and pale yellow. IDK for sure though.

[Image: nFlWmOy.png]
MM portraits with the same palette as the other ones. I did the Mega Arm in blue, rather than red/orange, because the effect on it doesn't match the artwork anyway and it always appears blue in game.

m8
22-11-2017 07:42 AM