Rhythm is currently piecing together the list for this year's Wedge Award given annually. If you joined the community after November 25, 2016 and have either only come into DeadChat, posted in the Smeghead forum, or visited the Inc Discord, please send Rhythm a private message to let him know you are an active member of Inc and we can include you in our Wedge Award Eligible Nominees List. Check your profile for your join date before sending the PM. Thank You!

ENGINE 7 - Version 0.1
Mplode Offline
Registered

ENGINE 7 - Version 0.1
ENGINE 7

Mostly Mega Man VII with a touch of older titles as well as some original techniques. Not Capcom approved. Done for learning purposes.

Created as an off-shoot of my Zero Engine, I wanted to see just how flexible Zero Engine is. This is the result. I spent a few hours on this.
I really enjoy the direction it is going, so I believe it is time to make a release to let people break it as I am sure there are glitches.

[Image: Sf4oqRG.png][Image: ujf4QJE.png][Image: qoFa2A2.png][Image: 1CgrAml.png]

Version 0.1 Features:
-Sliding
-Jumping/Falling
-Movement
-Buster Shooting and Charging
(Really neat thing is that it uses vertex shaders)
-Health System
-Damage System
-Wily Fortress System
-Respawn/Death System
-16:9 Resolution (480 x 272)
-remixes by TheLegendofRenegade(does some nice MM Genesis stuff)

CONTROLS:
-Enter to pick a selection
-WASD act as directional keys
-J to fire/charge Buster
-K to jump/slide
-L to force slide if you prefer a separate key
-O to force take 10 damage

POSSIBLE FAQ?

No, I am not changing input anytime soon. It has zero priority right now as the setup I am running works for me.
Will be changed to a global changeable input system(running off an ini) later.

No, this is not going to be a perfect Mega Man 7 engine. I am putting my own little spin on it.
If it bothers you, go play Mega Man 7 - it's a nice game.

"Why are you doing this like xxxxxxx?" Read the previous statement. Smile

"When are you releasing the source?" As soon as I get the code commented in a way that anyone could follow along.
Right now, it just has basic stuff like "//Jumping bullshit" or "//reset globals" which just helps me jump around like an index.

CLOSING THOUGHTS:
Go buy some damn Mega Man games to convince Capcom the franchise isn't dead.
I think I have almost bought every NA virtual release I can get.
Buying used cartridges/discs does nothing except grow a collection.
(This post was last modified: 13-11-2017 10:44 PM by Mplode.)
13-11-2017 10:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ApselTheBlue Offline
Regular
Registered

RE: ENGINE 7 - Version 0.1
It plays ok. Jumping feels different, more floaty in a way. I did encounter a few bugs though.
-the walking animation looks off
-the READY animation is pretty slow
-The fade out from dying is also pretty slow

Other than that I didn't find anything I would consider a bug.
(This post was last modified: 14-11-2017 11:42 PM by ApselTheBlue.)
14-11-2017 11:41 PM
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Wedge AwardChiptune AwardRevo Remix Contributor
Even if you are not going to implement the accurate SNES screen resolution, is the engine potentially modifiable to support such a resolution?

To pose a more general question to the same tune, in what language and/or environment is this engine being developed in? How robust is the codebase so that any user can modify it to their specific standards?

I have some responses to some things mentioned in the FAQ:

Quote:No, I am not changing input anytime soon. It has zero priority right now as the setup I am running works for me.

In direct response to this section of the FAQ, remappable input should be one of the first things you tackle in any game engine to avoid time consuming refactoring later. It is also a basic part of game accessibility: http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/a...onfigured/

In response to the rest of the FAQ:

Frankly, I think if you are making an engine in an attempt to replicate an existing game, you should actually attempt to replicate said game. Immediately from watching your video, I can tell that Mega Man's run animation is animated too quickly, and his base run speed also seems to be too fast as well. The palette for charging seems to be incorrect, and there is the obvious inaccuracy of the screen resolution as I mentioned before. People don't use engines simply to play games, they desire to make their own game, and your "spin" on things only lowers the immediate usability of your engine if people have to make further modifications to bring it in line with Mega Man 7 in terms of accuracy. Your immediate dismissal of the criticisms of accuracy (and seemingly, criticism in general) is rather worrisome.

That is simply my 2 cents on the matter, I wish you good luck with this project.

EDIT: After actually playing the engine for myself, I can tell that none of the animations seem to be correctly animated. Mega Man's run speed and animation are indeed too fast and his jump arc feels somewhat awkward. The READY animation and teleport animation are far too slow, and the palette for the charging particles seems to be inaccurate. Overall the engine seems to be in a rather "cheap" state at the moment; I don't think this was quite ready for a public playable demo. On the bug side, I was able to trigger the charging sound effects to begin ad-nauseum, looping on top of each other and making the game extremely loud for a short time.

Mega Man 7 is my personal favorite Mega Man game so I would like to think I would be able to easily recognize inaccuracies in an attempted replication of it. I implore you to consider this feedback a bit more seriously as it can only improve your engine.

On a final note, the demo uses the default GameMaker Studio logo, so that does answer my question about the development environment.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Threxx1/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Threxx11
(This post was last modified: 14-11-2017 11:52 PM by Threxx.)
14-11-2017 11:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mplode Offline
Registered

Threxx Wrote:Even if you are not going to implement the accurate SNES screen resolution, is the engine potentially modifiable to support such a resolution?

YES. All drawing of the HUD as well as spawn points are based on the viewport location. HUD will always be where it is or can be eaily changed by changing draw_sprite(sprHUDMain,0,view_xview+32,view_yview+32);

Threxx Wrote:To pose a more general question to the same tune, in what language and/or environment is this engine being developed in? How robust is the codebase so that any user can modify it to their specific standards?

Everything 99.99% is done in easy to follow code blocks or scripts. The only time I have not used code is a variable d & d check that literally checks global.paused == false which then allows the following code block to run(which isn't d & d). It could be changed by adding a full encapsulating if (global.paused == false) { }.

I have some responses to some things mentioned in the FAQ:

Quote:No, I am not changing input anytime soon. It has zero priority right now as the setup I am running works for me.
Threxx Wrote:In direct response to this section of the FAQ, remappable input should be one of the first things you tackle in any game engine to avoid time consuming refactoring later. It is also a basic part of game accessibility: http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/a...onfigured/

I disagree. The way Game Maker works(and for that matter, most event triggered APIs such as DX, SFML, SDL, etc.) can have actions triggered from multiple keys.

Or, at the least, I can change all key input events to user_events that called upon pressing controls set via ini. It's not hard. It just has zero priority for me.

If that bothers you that you can't set controls as a player right now, wait until a later release. I'd rather fix the actual game issues that you mention later that worry about controls.

Trust me. My code isn't spaghettied around where I might miss a input code change. Everything is easily found. Smile

In response to the rest of the FAQ:

Threxx Wrote:Frankly, I think if you are making an engine in an attempt to replicate an existing game, you should actually attempt to replicate said game. Immediately from watching your video, I can tell that Mega Man's run animation is animated too quickly, and his base run speed also seems to be too fast as well. The palette for charging seems to be incorrect, and there is the obvious inaccuracy of the screen resolution as I mentioned before. People don't use engines simply to play games, they desire to make their own game, and your "spin" on things only lowers the immediate usability of your engine if people have to make further modifications to bring it in line with Mega Man 7 in terms of accuracy. Your immediate dismissal of the criticisms of accuracy (and seemingly, criticism in general) is rather worrisome.

Run animation is a bit fast. Can be fixed and will be. Just need to take the time to put 60 fps footage side by side so that I can fine tune it. Same for base speed.

Palette chaning, is infact, literally color grabbed via Paint.NET and Game Maker's in-game image editor. Both show almost identical numbers. Some were off by 2 or 3. What is throwing you off is that I am not cycling through the entire sprite at the moment. It is one color at a time during the cycle. It will look much better with full color swap. THere are some purples missing. They are in the engine, just not cycled through since I have them commented out.

Resolution literally affects nothing but presentation. Can be changed anytime to 256 x 224/240 and nothing would change except a smaller view.

I fail 100% to see why the immediate use is "limited". Only static controls could be the only argument for that. Nothing else is "hard-coded". Every part of the player object(s) are handled base on declared creation variables. Change those(such as max and mins, animation speed, etc), and the effect can be seen in-game without any modifications to any other code.

Just a matter of fine-tuning.

Threxx Wrote:That is simply my 2 cents on the matter, I wish you good luck with this project.
Everyone says that when it comes to fan-games/engines. (Source: Still a global moderator at a huge fan game forum for a almost a decade(God, I am old.)) Thanks, though.

Threxx Wrote:On the bug side, I was able to trigger the charging sound effects to begin ad-nauseum, looping on top of each other and making the game extremely loud for a short time.

Fixed on my end. Nothing uploaded for end-user to try. Thanks. It was a weird trigger that had to deal with jumping, barely charging, then landing within very small amount of frames. Good catch!

Threxx Wrote:Mega Man 7 is my personal favorite Mega Man game so I would like to think I would be able to easily recognize inaccuracies in an attempted replication of it. I implore you to consider this feedback a bit more seriously as it can only improve your engine.

I am glad it is your favorite. That means you will nitpick it just as I would nitpick any Legend of Zelda Link to the Past style fangame. Big Grin It is version 0.1 which is more of a proof of concept than anything else. Actually surprised you didn't say anything about the FM tracks instead of the official OST. Wink

Always room to fix things with animations, speed, and gravity as noted.

EDIT:
Version 0.1b with changes and fixes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCssrk9...sp=sharing
-Resolution changed to 256 x 224(done for the sake of "accuracy", none of my testers ever played Megaman 7 until today so they had no issues with 480x272)
-changes to walking speed
-changes to walking animation
-changes to sprite when charging(getting much closer to Mega Man 7 with the buster extended when charging)
-changes to gravity
***Mega Man 7 is much more "lofty" than what I have at the top of his arc. Other than that I think I am AT MOST 2 or 3 pixels off at the height of the arc when you don't bump your head into a ceiling. It still isn't exact because you are supposed to be able to jump from the first major gimmick pit(under the moving platforms) to the far left wall just barely in the original. In mine, your height is just too low you can't get up. Still tweaking, but it is getting there.***
-changes to fade speed
-changes to READY animation speed

The Wily drawn line is kind of broken at the moment. Not too worried as it is on my to-do list to implement the actual lines from the original. Also, no one noted that I missed a level in the top right of the castle. Sad It still isn't there.

The health fill at the start will be removed on the next "big" version since I will have small and large energy fills to trigger the fill effect.
Going to work more on the shaders for palette swapping. It needs work.
On another note: Mets are in the engine just not laid out. Made a mistake and had MMX sprites with matching collision masks. They are a bit shorter in the X games so it didn't feel right to have them on the playable level yet. They repel the normal buster shots and negate the charged shots. They only do the traditional peek then fire 3 projectiles for now.
The password screen will be added, though it will just be as a working concept form until there are more levels.
Inventory Screen is on the higher end of priorities for next big version.
Rush Spring is also on the higher end of priorities.

BUGS***
-Mega Man cycles through a firing animation when charging and being idle. Missed before posting, found after the fact.
-Can't immediately jump after firing in an idle stance.
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2017 02:26 AM by Mplode.)
15-11-2017 12:19 AM
Threxx Offline
Postman
Registered

Wedge AwardChiptune AwardRevo Remix Contributor
Since this is an engine and not an actual game, I'm not particularly concerned about what music you decided to use as filler; it's not really relevant to the discussion of the actual physics and accuracy.

Thank you for the response though.

Generally disgruntled composer and Ideas Guy™. Currently directing Mega Man Shattered Diamond.

My media:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Threxx1/
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/threxx-danne
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Threxx11
16-11-2017 12:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply