Poll: Is this a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! And I will help!
12.50%
1 12.50%
Yes! And I will gladly play it!
12.50%
1 12.50%
We'll see...
50.00%
4 50.00%
No.
25.00%
2 25.00%
How dare you insult Mega Man like this!?
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Mega Adventure
Diamond Wolf Offline
Not ashamed to play Easy Mode
Registered

Threads: 4
Mega Adventure
Inspired by a concept from a Mega Maker level, this is basically open-world Mega Man.

---SYNOPSIS AND RECRUITING---

The game is broken up into four (basic) regions: Surface, ocean, volcano, and fortress. In each of the first three, your goal is to defeat three robot masters, then get to the exit point. You can tackle each three in any order.

And yes, you do get nine weapons at the end.

Upon reaching the fortress, locate and battle each robot master for a key. This key leads to one wily-style boss, followed by traditional Wily Machine and Capsule.

The actual masters/enemies/bosses themselves are going to be modified/upgraded versions of Capcom masters/enemies/bosses, and the tile set will also be ripped from the original games, so graphics work isn't much of an issue, unless a tile needs tweaking (which I can do pretty easily). All that this game would need are composers, assistant level designers, and assistant programmers. The game is going to be using GMS2 Mega Engine (Just import the GM:S 1.4 version).

---FURTHER DETAIL---
In 20XX A.D., Wily decides to take over via brute force. Your goal is to stop Wily. Pretty standard Mega Man story.

You start out with the edge of town, where the threat is closest. Here the challenges are pretty basic, primarily consisting of enemies and moving platforms. It also introduces two special mechanics: Most enemies don't respawn if their spawn goes off screen, and there are timed energy spawners.

Here you search the forest, mines, and a construction site to hunt down Wood Man, Stone Man, and Concrete man.

You then proceed to the exit point of the stage, taking you to the ocean where Wily is working overtime to disrupt any and all sea traffic. You see Bubble Man bubbles and enemy spawners show up, along with a greater presence of spikes. Also introduced are weapon upgrades for surface masters.

Bubble Man, Dive Man, and Splash Woman are lurking here.

Wily is extracting minerals from a nearby volcano. Lava and fire-based puzzles are introduced to give you trouble. To help you out energy spawners can create weapon energy now. You can also find ocean master weapon upgrades.

Your main opponents here are Magma Man, Heat Man, and (hanging out further up) Ground Man.

You finally make your way to Wily's base of operations, which is quite easily the largest stage. You need to locate and beat each robot master again, your only navigational aid being the segmentation of the base into the factory, water works, and engine area. Each section also contains a wily boss and a volcano master weapon upgrade. Beating all three masters in each region lets you fight the Wily boss. The Wily bosses will grant you a key each. Collect all three keys to access the final area. You are not locked in a section until it's complete, however.

Upon collecting the three keys, locate the doorway to the final area. As soon as you touch the door with all 3 keys, you will gain access to the teleporter behind. After a quick platforming segment, you face off against one final Wily boss, then proceed to defeat a Wily Machine. Then you win... maybe...

The weapons (for the most part) behave as they did originally. However, as mentioned, they are upgradeable. In addition to a reduction on the amount of energy needed, each weapon also gains an improvement in the way it's used. For example, Power Stone acts more like the MM:ROTF variant when upgraded, and Concrete Shot lasts longer. There are also a few (secret) more powerful upgrades. (Lookin' at you, borin' ol' Leaf Shield ;) )

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018, 01:55 AM by Diamond Wolf.)
16-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Find Reply
Lionheart261 Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 2
RE: Mega Adventure
"All that this game would need are composers, level designers, and programmers."

"The actual masters/enemies/bosses themselves are going to be modified/upgraded versions of Capcom masters/enemies/bosses, and the tile set will also be ripped from the original games, so graphics work isn't much of an issue."

Hm. Okay, you've got a concept on paper, with some details, but question:

What exactly are you yourself planning to contribute to this project?

You single out composers, level designers, and programmers as being necessary, suggesting you can't do any of those things yourself, but then add that there will be minimal graphics work necessary. Is that meant to suggest that you are doing the graphics work? And if not...what *are* you doing?

I have a feeling you've heard this before, but just to restate it here: in game design, especially design at a smaller scale like this, you don't get to kick back. There's no such thing as "the idea guy" in game design-you can supply ideas, sure, but *everyone* involved has to do *something*.

So I believe it would be a good idea for you to clarify that detail.

Aside from that, this seems like an intriguing concept, and I'm interested to see what you do with it, although I believe some details need to be fleshed out a bit more.

Take care.
17-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Find Reply
Diamond Wolf Offline
Registered

I guess I should have been a bit clearer.
I will be contributing on programming and level design, however I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere with that alone.
17-02-2018, 05:48 AM
Find Reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Threads: 9
Speaking as someone who's spent the last year and a half developing a game that was intended to be a glorified MaGMML1 level: I'm skeptical about this project's chances of success.

I'm on board with the premise of an open-world Mega Man game—for example, I think something like Mega Man in Mega City could be very successful with the right amount of polish and finesse. And it's totally fine to call in programmers, composers, level designers, etc. if you don't have the time or expertise to handle everything. But as the project lead, "contributing on programming and level design, however I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere with that alone" makes it sound like you'll be relying too heavily on other people to make your vision a reality. My feeling is that the project lead should be confident enough to handle at least one or two aspects of the game without assistance, or else be a jack-of-all-trades who can make do without external help if absolutely necessary.

What you have right now is the vaguest outline of a concept. My strong suggestion is to flesh it out in as much detail as possible before recruiting anybody. How large are these areas? What kinds of challenges will be included? Which Robot Masters will be featured? What special weapons do you have planned, and how will they work? How many pieces of music will need to be composed? Is there a story, and if so, who will be writing it? Are there any graphics that will need to be drawn from scratch (eg, title screen, cutscenes, menus, end credits, new weapons)? What kinds of extra features do you want (eg, Achievements, multiple playable characters, cheats)? What will need to be programmed that isn't already in the devkit?

ESPECIALLY if other people will be doing the brunt of the work, you should have a thorough design plan laid out so everyone knows exactly how much work is involved. This isn't asking for help with homework; this is committing to a project that will take months, if not years, of someone's free time. Having a detailed plan will keep the project focused, give it more credibility, and identify any serious problems that need to be addressed before bringing anyone else into the project.

I'll reiterate that this premise has potential. But at the moment, that's all it is—just a premise—and I think you'll have far more luck getting volunteers once you've fleshed out a solid game plan. Good luck.

No matter where you go, there you are.
20-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Diamond Wolf Offline
Registered

Thanks for the advice.
02-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Find Reply