[Game]: A Mega Man SNES style remake?
mot-datrix Offline
Megayoungster
Registered

Threads: 1
A Mega Man SNES style remake?
I've been doing some sprite work and made a cover track for a Mega Man 7 style remake of Mega Man 1, and I want this to be a REAL thing. I'm looking for people who can do coding, bug testing, spritework, background work, and music covers for it. I was thinking of it being made in Game Maker: Studio 1.4. I want it to be accurate to the Super Nintendo's limitations, and I know that I'd be biting off more than what I could chew if I said that "I was doing it alone," which is why I'm asking if anyone would like to help on the project, and I will be helping with all 5 subjects, even if my knowledge is quite low on this type of stuff.

My personal standards are:

MilkyTracker, OpenMPT, or FL Studio for the music, keep it within a 6 to 8 channel limitation, remember, in MilkyTracker and OpenMPT to save it as a .it and send it to me, I'll do the rendering.

Paint.net, Photoshop, or GraphicsGale for the sprites and backgrounds, keeping it accurate to the Super Nintendo's limitations, as I've stated before.

Clean, stable programming, I really don't want this fangame to be junk when it comes to fixing its bugs.

Anyways, since 3 days ago, I've been working on the sprites and music, the current title for it is "Super Mega Man," not to be confused with the Super Mega Man 2 or 3 fangames, which is why I'm thinking about changing it.

Sprites and fonts (keep in mind, 90% of these are edits and/or assembled together from screenshots taken by snes9x, but I do shade sprites.): [Image: 226741a93a6bf02b523434238aff18ac.png][Image: f46551b6051ea49778d35ba49934ac61.png][Image: e971657c049556ac04eb7727042ae1b5.png][Image: 535f0ce1fc18167d3ede86f9998521ac.png][Image: 87ebad62c217808e2236d7a5d186ca92.png]
[Image: 24151ecb78e27263e5dea72135cecf21.png]

I hope I can get a good team to help me work on this project.

Whoops; forgot the cover track. https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Vf1niKeKaq

Sorry if it doesn't loop.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2018, 12:53 AM by mot-datrix.)
19-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Find Reply
CosmicGem Offline
Chiptune Fanatic [Depressed]
Beta Tester

RE: A Mega Man SNES style remake?
do you really expect to get anywhere with this?

you're asking for other people to make an entire game for you while you contribute nothing

19-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Website Find Reply
mot-datrix Offline
Megayoungster
Registered

(19-03-2018, 01:29 PM)CosmicGem Wrote: do you really expect to get anywhere with this?

you're asking for other people to make an entire game for you while you contribute nothing

I've stated, "and I will be helping with all 5 subjects, even if my knowledge is quite low on this type of stuff."

I'm honestly bad at wording things, I'm more of a "show, not tell," type of person, I tried to state, "I will try my best to contribute to the project," and honestly, I was actually expecting someone to say something along the lines of, "you're asking for other people to make an entire game."

That was a mistake on my behalf. My apologies.

Also, I will be following tutorials and documentation on GML even if somebody is interested in that aspect of the project, I honestly don't want to seem like I'm trying to get people to work for me.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2018, 05:33 PM by mot-datrix.)
19-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Find Reply
Flashman85 Offline
Minor Internet Celebrity
Registered

Threads: 9
(19-03-2018, 01:29 PM)CosmicGem Wrote: you're asking for other people to make an entire game for you while you contribute nothing

While I share Cosmic's concern that this project seems to rely too heavily on the contributions of others, I'd like to offer some productive encouragement. Remaking a Mega Man game in the style of MM7 sounds like a fun idea, and I think it's wise to recognize when you're biting off more than you can chew. Presumably your main focus will be on recreating levels in the new game engine, and that's an important part of the process. But you should definitely clarify how much you're able to contribute to coding, graphics, etc. There's a huge difference between "I'll try to do everything myself, but I'd like to have experts on call whom I can pester for help sometimes" and "Someone else will be responsible for everything, but I'm willing to help out if they tell me what to do."

We've seen a lot of fangame ideas go nowhere, and we've even seen some very promising projects fizzle out after years of work. The community has understandably become a bit jaded about the prospects of any new fangame that's all ambition without any real foundation. Speaking as someone who has spent almost two years working on a fangame that started out as a glorified MaGMML level, making a game is WAY harder than it looks, and requires an incredible commitment from the people involved.

That being said, if you truly believe in this project and want it to succeed, I would strongly recommend putting together an outline of exactly what you are able to contribute, and exactly what you will need other people to do. Fortunately, because this is a remake in the style of a game that already exists, some of the work might already be done for you, if you look around.

The game engine is the single biggest thing. I'm no programmer, but your best bet is probably to use an existing engine (eg, Blyka's Engine or the forthcoming engine being used for MaGMML3) and modify it as needed to accommodate the larger graphics and different physics of MM7. Programming a game engine from scratch is a project of its own, and that's not the kind of thing you want to outsource to some random volunteer.

Lots of people have remade Mega Man soundtracks in the style of other games. I haven't looked around, but the music you need may already exist somewhere; you'd just need to ask permission to use it. Likewise, someone may already have created new tilesets in the MM7 style that could work for this project—and even if they're not the right tilesets, you might have more success reaching out to that artist directly and asking if they'd be willing to do a few commissions. Even if this fangame idea falls through, they'd still have a few more tilesets to add to their existing portfolio.

I might also suggest remaking Dr. Wily's Revenge instead of MM1—not only would you have fewer stages to deal with (and it's imperative to start small if this is your first fangame), but MM1 has already been remade several times. Powered Up, Wily Wars, Atari, etc. It would be refreshing to see a different game get remade for a change. More importantly, MM1 and MM7 are radically different in terms of how big Mega Man is relative to the rest of the screen; there's much less of a difference between the Game Boy games and MM7, meaning you probably wouldn't need to mess with the screen size or level design as much to make it work.

TL;DR: I'd love to see a remake in the style of MM7, but it sounds like a LOT more planning and preparation need to happen for this to get off the ground.

No matter where you go, there you are.
19-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Website Find Reply
mot-datrix Offline
Megayoungster
Registered

(19-03-2018, 05:43 PM)Flashman85 Wrote:
(19-03-2018, 01:29 PM)CosmicGem Wrote: you're asking for other people to make an entire game for you while you contribute nothing

While I share Cosmic's concern that this project seems to rely too heavily on the contributions of others, I'd like to offer some productive encouragement. Remaking a Mega Man game in the style of MM7 sounds like a fun idea, and I think it's wise to recognize when you're biting off more than you can chew. Presumably your main focus will be on recreating levels in the new game engine, and that's an important part of the process. But you should definitely clarify how much you're able to contribute to coding, graphics, etc. There's a huge difference between "I'll try to do everything myself, but I'd like to have experts on call whom I can pester for help sometimes" and "Someone else will be responsible for everything, but I'm willing to help out if they tell me what to do."

We've seen a lot of fangame ideas go nowhere, and we've even seen some very promising projects fizzle out after years of work. The community has understandably become a bit jaded about the prospects of any new fangame that's all ambition without any real foundation. Speaking as someone who has spent almost two years working on a fangame that started out as a glorified MaGMML level, making a game is WAY harder than it looks, and requires an incredible commitment from the people involved.

That being said, if you truly believe in this project and want it to succeed, I would strongly recommend putting together an outline of exactly what you are able to contribute, and exactly what you will need other people to do. Fortunately, because this is a remake in the style of a game that already exists, some of the work might already be done for you, if you look around.

The game engine is the single biggest thing. I'm no programmer, but your best bet is probably to use an existing engine (eg, Blyka's Engine or the forthcoming engine being used for MaGMML3) and modify it as needed to accommodate the larger graphics and different physics of MM7. Programming a game engine from scratch is a project of its own, and that's not the kind of thing you want to outsource to some random volunteer.

Lots of people have remade Mega Man soundtracks in the style of other games. I haven't looked around, but the music you need may already exist somewhere; you'd just need to ask permission to use it. Likewise, someone may already have created new tilesets in the MM7 style that could work for this project—and even if they're not the right tilesets, you might have more success reaching out to that artist directly and asking if they'd be willing to do a few commissions. Even if this fangame idea falls through, they'd still have a few more tilesets to add to their existing portfolio.

I might also suggest remaking Dr. Wily's Revenge instead of MM1—not only would you have fewer stages to deal with (and it's imperative to start small if this is your first fangame), but MM1 has already been remade several times. Powered Up, Wily Wars, Atari, etc. It would be refreshing to see a different game get remade for a change. More importantly, MM1 and MM7 are radically different in terms of how big Mega Man is relative to the rest of the screen; there's much less of a difference between the Game Boy games and MM7, meaning you probably wouldn't need to mess with the screen size or level design as much to make it work.

TL;DR: I'd love to see a remake in the style of MM7, but it sounds like a LOT more planning and preparation need to happen for this to get off the ground.

Woah that's extremely descriptive, anyways, yeah, honestly, I do somewhat feel as if I could, maybe even should, modify a premade Mega Man engine (and credit the original person for said engine, of course, I'm not a scumbag,) same with the Dr. Wily's Revenge idea, plus I could remake the tracks myself in that case, since they're much more simplistic (and somewhat enjoyable.)

I'll think about making those decisions. Thank you for encouragement, it could definitely help me along the way!
19-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Find Reply
Heihachi_73 Offline
Big Eye Killer
Registered

Wasn't this partially done several years ago? I seem to remember Bomb Man's stage remade in the original SNES MM7 engine on YouTube, but it was in early stages and the boss AI wasn't finished (or even started for that matter). They had used the Wily Wars sprites but everything else was MM7 style.

When it comes to stages, it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to SNES style as they are simply double size (e.g. an 16x16 square is 32x32 in the MM7 engine), the main difference being that in MM7 single-screen rooms are twice as cramped due to the size. Maybe a compromise such as having scrolling vertical sections and boss rooms could fix that problem; Megaman 7 already had Cloud Man in a full size room (as did Megaman X with Storm Eagle and Flame Mammoth), it was simply two screens wide and had scrolling. The same could apply with vertical sections. Alternatively, one could simply make the game engine 512x448 instead of 256x224, that way the pixel aspect is the same and you get to keep the higher resolution sprites.

On a side note, I wish someone would make MM3 in a modern style without all of the glitches. Wily Wars almost got it right, but then suffered from being the Wily Wars engine, and the sprites were the same size as the NES anyway (Megaman and most of the enemies were slightly taller but the hitboxes were almost identical, and Wily Wars completely rewrote the AI so it just didn't feel the same).
19-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Find Reply
mot-datrix Offline
Megayoungster
Registered

(19-03-2018, 07:42 PM)Heihachi_73 Wrote: Wasn't this partially done several years ago? I seem to remember Bomb Man's stage remade in the original SNES MM7 engine on YouTube, but it was in early stages and the boss AI wasn't finished (or even started for that matter). They had used the Wily Wars sprites but everything else was MM7 style.

When it comes to stages, it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to SNES style as they are simply double size (e.g. an 16x16 square is 32x32 in the MM7 engine), the main difference being that in MM7 single-screen rooms are twice as cramped due to the size. Maybe a compromise such as having scrolling vertical sections and boss rooms could fix that problem; Megaman 7 already had Cloud Man in a full size room (as did Megaman X with Storm Eagle and Flame Mammoth), it was simply two screens wide and had scrolling. The same could apply with vertical sections. Alternatively, one could simply make the game engine 512x448 instead of 256x224, that way the pixel aspect is the same and you get to keep the higher resolution sprites.

On a side note, I wish someone would make MM3 in a modern style without all of the glitches. Wily Wars almost got it right, but then suffered from being the Wily Wars engine, and the sprites were the same size as the NES anyway (Megaman and most of the enemies were slightly taller but the hitboxes were almost identical, and Wily Wars completely rewrote the AI so it just didn't feel the same).

That remake from 3+ years ago actually inspired me for this project!
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2018, 08:03 PM by mot-datrix.)
19-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Find Reply
Heihachi_73 Offline
Big Eye Killer
Registered

If you ever decide to use the same music source (e.g. Wily Wars MIDI conversions but with the MM7 soundfont) I hope the music can be fixed, as the Wily Wars had quite a few notes that were off key in a number of songs - the Bomb Man theme in particular has an area near the end of the tune where a major chord plays when it should have been minor, similar to the "happy" Cut Man and Guts Man themes in Powered Up in fact. Some of the Megaman MIDIs out there are slightly off as well.

If the arcade or Rockman Complete Works themes are used, some of them only bear a passing resemblance to the original tunes and might not be usable if you wanted a faithful 16-bit recreation (although people on YouTube have already converted a number of tunes to the MM7 style). The RCW music is in XA format anyway (basically a compressed audio track/wav file at 37800 Hz) even though the PSX supported a sequencer/tracker style format (PSF), so it's probably of little use unless you are using WAV or MP3 files instead of MOD/XM/IT etc.
22-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Find Reply