My Robo Master Roster (need feedback)
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 2
(obselete thread, please lock)
It's just supposed to be a fat guy robot master named "Fat Man", does this look right?

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 27-04-2018, 11:43 PM by Crazy_Hand.)
21-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Find Reply
Psychosis Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 1
RE: Fat Guy Robot Master (feedback please)
Doesn' t look much like a Mega Man 8-bit. Also, isn' t Fat Man a bomb?
(This post was last modified: 21-04-2018, 01:02 AM by Psychosis.)
21-04-2018, 01:02 AM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(21-04-2018, 01:02 AM)Psychosis Wrote: Doesn' t look much like a Mega Man 8-bit. Also, isn' t Fat Man a bomb?
It was, but it's also a generic term for a guy who's fat.  The bomb was called that as joke about its huge size.

I think I got the perspective angle wrong Sad
21-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Alright, so how does THIS look?

Attached Files Image(s)

21-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

Threads: 18
Reminds me of Karnov from the old days, but more "childish"

[Image: dolphin-turn.gif]
Wanna go for a ride?
24-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

HA! It's funny you should say that, I was kinda going for a MegaManized Karnov look.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2018, 06:53 PM by Crazy_Hand. Edit Reason: Attachment failed, no biggie, changes were minor. )
25-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

(25-04-2018, 06:51 PM)Crazy_Hand Wrote: HA! It's funny you should say that, I was kinda going for a MegaManized Karnov look.

[Image: mm-karnov.gif]
Here you go..... Here's my attempt at "Karnov". It's a strait out Mega Man stand sprite edit, and about as MegaMan-ish as I could get with the limits.
Not exactly a "robot master", but it's the best I could do if Karnov was made in Mega Man style.
Feel free to do whatever with it. I was just seeing if I could do some attempts like so.

Wanna go for a ride?
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2018, 12:29 AM by N-Mario.)
27-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(27-04-2018, 12:25 AM)N-Mario Wrote:
(25-04-2018, 06:51 PM)Crazy_Hand Wrote: HA! It's funny you should say that, I was kinda going for a MegaManized Karnov look.

[Image: mm-karnov.gif]
Here you go..... Here's my attempt at "Karnov". It's a strait out Mega Man stand sprite edit, and about as MegaMan-ish as I could get with the limits.
Not exactly a "robot master", but it's the best I could do if Karnov was made in Mega Man style.
Feel free to do whatever with it. I was just seeing if I could do some attempts like so.

Nice, I'll have to give him a stomach, but it's better than what I've got.  I tried to up your rep, but it wouldn't let me. Sad
27-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

As you said, you were going for a MegaManized Karnov look. However, if you wanted a more "robotic" fat robot master, I could recommend Plug Man's early prototype predecessor, Plasma Man. He's a tesla globe robot, in which that part of his body makes him look fat, if that works for ya. XP

I've made a few sprites of him in one thread around here, but it's probably not what you were going for. Just thought I mention it, since you were going for a 'fat' themed robot master.

Wanna go for a ride?
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2018, 09:32 PM by N-Mario.)
27-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

To be honest, I just thought it'd be funny to have a "Fat Man" robot master who's entire them is that he's a fat guy.
27-04-2018, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

My Robo Master Roster (need feedback)
Okay, so here goes:

Fat Man (Credit to N-Mario):
[Image: HbnLfnL.gif][Image: E0uhUOV.png]
Obesity Studies robot.  Upon researching WW2, has come to take an interest in nuclear physics.

Dread Woman:
[Image: JnQHMGG.png] [Image: p1U0oIX.png]
Cyber Valkyrie bot, made to test experimental weapons.  Her Dread Shield is completely impenetrable, but drains energy way too fast.

Hydro Woman:
[Image: Y4G0YNf.png][Image: YFBoCp2.png]
Indoor farming (hydroponics) robot.  Ironically hates drugs.

Trash Woman:
[Image: XHq8u4l.png] [Image: Kbf9Kkd.png]
Experimental Trash-Energy robot.  Resents her job, but is impeccable at it.

Joke Man (DELIBERATELY off-model):
[Image: fgwOIQF.png] [Image: oW6uHQH.png]
Hated by everyone who knows him, not much else is known other than the fact that he thinks being a jerk is funny.

Difficulty Man:
[Image: reMvkXN.png] [Image: KDtaLPN.png]
Hard Man's more faithful successor.  Unlike Hard Man, it won't just be his stage that is difficult.

Metro Woman:
[Image: jEs3WhT.png][Image: UjNPrCY.png]
Culture Studies robot.  Turned out to be evil and became a serial killer.

Utility Woman:
[Image: Yp1rkpu.png] [Image: 7eqMGb8.png]
Made to combine electricity and water in order to make both more efficient.  Results were mixed, partly because she likes to PURIFY water.

Do these look right, which ones need improvement (or do all of them)?
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 02:29 AM by Crazy_Hand.)
05-05-2018, 02:24 AM
Find Reply
Omegathetracker Offline
Mooooooo! Imma big Zilla!
Registered

Threads: 0
RE: My Robo Master Roster (need feedback)
(05-05-2018, 02:24 AM)Crazy_Hand Wrote:
Okay, so here goes:

Fat Man (Credit to N-Mario):
[Image: HbnLfnL.gif][Image: E0uhUOV.png]
Obesity Studies robot.  Upon researching WW2, has come to take an interest in nuclear physics.

Dread Woman:
[Image: JnQHMGG.png] [Image: p1U0oIX.png]
Cyber Valkyrie bot, made to test experimental weapons.  Her Dread Shield is completely impenetrable, but drains energy way too fast.

Hydro Woman:
[Image: Y4G0YNf.png][Image: YFBoCp2.png]
Indoor farming (hydroponics) robot.  Ironically hates drugs.

Trash Woman:
[Image: XHq8u4l.png] [Image: Kbf9Kkd.png]
Experimental Trash-Energy robot.  Resents her job, but is impeccable at it.

Joke Man (DELIBERATELY off-model):
[Image: fgwOIQF.png] [Image: oW6uHQH.png]
Hated by everyone who knows him, not much else is known other than the fact that he thinks being a jerk is funny.

Difficulty Man:
[Image: reMvkXN.png] [Image: KDtaLPN.png]
Hard Man's more faithful successor.  Unlike Hard Man, it won't just be his stage that is difficult.

Metro Woman:
[Image: jEs3WhT.png][Image: UjNPrCY.png]
Culture Studies robot.  Turned out to be evil and became a serial killer.

Utility Woman:
[Image: Yp1rkpu.png] [Image: 7eqMGb8.png]
Made to combine electricity and water in order to make both more efficient.  Results were mixed, partly because she likes to PURIFY water.

Do these look right, which ones need improvement (or do all of them)?

Fat man's good, yet the rest... need the mega man feel , the rest don't use the NES palette (or atleast the palettes i know of the NES palette or aka MAGMML and wikipedia's NES palette). I'll fix one, and thats Utility Woman.
[Image: skcxYGE.gif]
I made her redesign with... Splash Woman's eye, Magma Man's Cannon, Plug Man's Legs..
And thats it.

How ironic I am for being called "The Tracker" when I'm not used to famitracker.
05-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

Wait.... I thought you were done with that other thread.... I didn't realize you were making an entire set of these. You prob might as well use your original Fat Man sprite then. Most of these other masters fit your original fat man.

The fat man I did was to make him more MegaMan-Ish, but lot of these others do not fit the Mega Man style. Undecided

Wanna go for a ride?
05-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Website Find Reply
Omegathetracker Offline
Mooooooo! Imma big Zilla!
Registered

Threads: 0
The Utility Woman I did was just a simple frankensprite.

How ironic I am for being called "The Tracker" when I'm not used to famitracker.
05-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(05-05-2018, 06:13 PM)N-Mario Wrote: Wait.... I thought you were done with that other thread.... I didn't realize you were making an entire set of these. You prob might as well use your original Fat Man sprite then. Most of these other masters fit your original fat man.

The fat man I did was to make him more MegaMan-Ish, but lot of these others do not fit the Mega Man style. Undecided

Then I guess that means I'm Bad at the Mega Man style.  But it IS what I was going for.  If I get nothing else right, I want it to be the Robot Masters.  What exactly do I need to do to fix these?  I'd rather put sweat and blood into fixing all of them than just go with it cus hey, at least it's consistent with itself.

I think Omega's Utility Woman is close enough, but as I said, I want to get the Robot Masters right if nothing else.

(05-05-2018, 04:17 PM)Omegathetracker Wrote: Fat man's good, yet the rest... need the mega man feel , the rest don't use the NES palette (or atleast the palettes i know of the NES palette or aka MAGMML and wikipedia's NES palette). I'll fix one, and thats Utility Woman.
[Image: skcxYGE.gif]
I made her redesign with... Splash Woman's eye, Magma Man's Cannon, Plug Man's Legs..
And thats it.

I appreciate that, I'll need to tweak it a bit, but it looks great.  For some reason, I couldn't up your rep for this Sad
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018, 02:17 AM by Crazy_Hand.)
06-05-2018, 01:51 AM
Find Reply
Rhythm Offline
Rhythm is Gonna Get Ya
Co-Admin

Threads: 69
Hoo....okay then these exist.  Let's do some broad looking and then try to narrow down some feedback to each of them specifically.

First and most importantly aside from Fat Man due to the help from the other thread which has now been merged into this one, none of these come close to the style you are trying to emulate.  They are all skinny, lanky, and don't resemble anything from the NES sorta-chibi style. Some good advice when just starting out with this style is to keep some official RMs nearby to see how the shapes and bits all fit together. Frankenedits are decent places to start when learning the style but you don't want to rely on it as the only way to sprite. you will need to do massive edits and tweaks afterwards to ensure the pieces fit together.  Omega's attempt as an example of pieces sorta fitting together but at the same time, they don't necessarily work for an overall picture.  (Side note, please avoid using Splash Woman's eyes for any females.  It's painfully obvious and looks bad)
So now onto the specific Robots:

Fat Man: While I for one can appreciate the dual meaning of Obesity as well as the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki, You should try to make the dual themes fit better.  Right now he's sorta large? but not really.  I would recommend looking at some of the larger bots like Stone Man or Hard Man to understand how well to convey "large".  and you need to get rid of the subpixeling on the double chin.  either it works at 1px or it doesn't.  The rest of his sprite is still pretty rough, especially the feet.

Dread Woman: What exactly does "Cyber Valkyrie" mean exactly...neither of those fit into her occupation of "living target dummy".  if her Dread Shield were impenetrable, how would they know the weapons were effective? The sprite is...bland at best as far as the design.  You need to incorporate more horror elements to her.  Create an armor and then have bits of tattered cloth or something hanging off of her.  Don't use colors too close to each other as they'll blend in together and become a muddled mess.  If the features on the sprite aren't able to be distinguishable when the sprite is at 1px, then it needs to be reworked.

Hydro Woman: Assuming that's grass on her helmet, this is a good start for a concept.  You just need to work it into a more traditional sprite shape and she could work.  Get rid of the "ironically hates drugs" aspect.  If she's a hydroponics bot, her focus should be on growth of plants and how to grow them in areas of the world where flora is difficult to maintain.

Trash Woman: Anthropomorphic Trash Can. But Trash-Energy? does this mean she converts garbage into fuel? let's focus more on that instead of "hates her job".  Personality quirks are fine and all but literally half of her bio is devoted to this.  How does she convert the trash? is it fire? is she technically a fire bot? a garbage bot like Dust Man? what does she do?  there are ways to convert this idea into something superb that could be a unique take on a trash bot.

Joke Man: I implore you to not do things like this. "Deliberately off model" translates to "unique for the sake of being unique".  it doesn't look good.  It makes it stand out but not for any good reason. You could make it work in a way where his weapon gives off the appearance of what you're going for while maintaining the aesthetic.  Maybe have him be a torso with eyes similar to Magma Man, Needle Man, etc. 

Difficulty Man: I don't think you understand what about Hard Man is supposed to be Hard.  It's not his stage for one.  It's meant to describe what he's made of.  Hard Man is made of Ceratanium which is the same substance that Metal Blade is made out of. He's a big bulky heavy dude. If anything, a more appropriate name for a similar robot would be Tough Man due to the similar duality of the name. To be honest, his current design is that of being made out of tires. I honestly can't even tell what he's supposed to be.  I think a rethink/redesign of this entire concept would be something to consider.

Metro Woman: so she's designed to study cultures and becomes a serial killer.  ignoring the moral aspects of A ROBOT KILLING PEOPLE, what exactly does she do? i think i can make out a knife but she runs into the same issue as Dread up there.  There's no coherent design aspect.  She's a black blob. If she's a culture robot, maybe have her utilize weapons and designs from various cultures that she's studied and adopted.  You could have her really work on her story some in that instead of just MURDERING PEOPLE, due to studying multiple cultures from around the world, she decided that modern society is to blame for the destruction of these unique cultures and she decides to defend it by attacking society (not people) using weapons based on more traditional weapons.  She could use things like bolos, arrows, spears.  Give her a menagerie of weapons to pull from.  If you do happen to go this route, she would have to be renamed something better as "Metro" doesn't quite convey this theme.

Utility Woman: so....yeah water and electricity don't mix.  If she likes to purify water what not run with that more.  Unless you're trying to dip into the process known as Electrolysis which is a means to decompose water into Hydrogen and Oxygen.  but the voltage for that process is pretty low. You could make her into a Hydrogen Gas processor rather than focus on the water aspect.  If you go this route, you should look into the designs of certain electrolysis devices and work it into her design.  right now it's hard to figure out anything for her, let alone a general idea of what her theme is.  

A lot of these need massive visual refinement, just to at least get them into the style to start.  some...intriguing themes so you have a place to start.  But definitely take time and don't rush with the designs to get them to work.

[Image: 67617b7e1d6Ur.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM by Rhythm.)
06-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(06-05-2018, 12:51 PM)Rhythm Wrote: Fat Man: While I for one can appreciate the dual meaning of Obesity as well as the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki, You should try to make the dual themes fit better.  Right now he's sorta large? but not really.  I would recommend looking at some of the larger bots like Stone Man or Hard Man to understand how well to convey "large".  and you need to get rid of the subpixeling on the double chin.  either it works at 1px or it doesn't.  The rest of his sprite is still pretty rough, especially the feet.

Dread Woman: What exactly does "Cyber Valkyrie" mean exactly...neither of those fit into her occupation of "living target dummy".  if her Dread Shield were impenetrable, how would they know the weapons were effective? The sprite is...bland at best as far as the design.  You need to incorporate more horror elements to her.  Create an armor and then have bits of tattered cloth or something hanging off of her.  Don't use colors too close to each other as they'll blend in together and become a muddled mess.  If the features on the sprite aren't able to be distinguishable when the sprite is at 1px, then it needs to be reworked.

Hydro Woman: Assuming that's grass on her helmet, this is a good start for a concept.  You just need to work it into a more traditional sprite shape and she could work.  Get rid of the "ironically hates drugs" aspect.  If she's a hydroponics bot, her focus should be on growth of plants and how to grow them in areas of the world where flora is difficult to maintain.

Trash Woman: Anthropomorphic Trash Can. But Trash-Energy? does this mean she converts garbage into fuel? let's focus more on that instead of "hates her job".  Personality quirks are fine and all but literally half of her bio is devoted to this.  How does she convert the trash? is it fire? is she technically a fire bot? a garbage bot like Dust Man? what does she do?  there are ways to convert this idea into something superb that could be a unique take on a trash bot.

Joke Man: I implore you to not do things like this. "Deliberately off model" translates to "unique for the sake of being unique".  it doesn't look good.  It makes it stand out but not for any good reason. You could make it work in a way where his weapon gives off the appearance of what you're going for while maintaining the aesthetic.  Maybe have him be a torso with eyes similar to Magma Man, Needle Man, etc. 

Difficulty Man: I don't think you understand what about Hard Man is supposed to be Hard.  It's not his stage for one.  It's meant to describe what he's made of.  Hard Man is made of Ceratanium which is the same substance that Metal Blade is made out of. He's a big bulky heavy dude. If anything, a more appropriate name for a similar robot would be Tough Man due to the similar duality of the name. To be honest, his current design is that of being made out of tires. I honestly can't even tell what he's supposed to be.  I think a rethink/redesign of this entire concept would be something to consider.

Metro Woman: so she's designed to study cultures and becomes a serial killer.  ignoring the moral aspects of A ROBOT KILLING PEOPLE, what exactly does she do? i think i can make out a knife but she runs into the same issue as Dread up there.  There's no coherent design aspect.  She's a black blob. If she's a culture robot, maybe have her utilize weapons and designs from various cultures that she's studied and adopted.  You could have her really work on her story some in that instead of just MURDERING PEOPLE, due to studying multiple cultures from around the world, she decided that modern society is to blame for the destruction of these unique cultures and she decides to defend it by attacking society (not people) using weapons based on more traditional weapons.  She could use things like bolos, arrows, spears.  Give her a menagerie of weapons to pull from.  If you do happen to go this route, she would have to be renamed something better as "Metro" doesn't quite convey this theme.

Utility Woman: so....yeah water and electricity don't mix.  If she likes to purify water what not run with that more.  Unless you're trying to dip into the process known as Electrolysis which is a means to decompose water into Hydrogen and Oxygen.  but the voltage for that process is pretty low. You could make her into a Hydrogen Gas processor rather than focus on the water aspect.  If you go this route, you should look into the designs of certain electrolysis devices and work it into her design.  right now it's hard to figure out anything for her, let alone a general idea of what her theme is.  

A lot of these need massive visual refinement, just to at least get them into the style to start.  some...intriguing themes so you have a place to start.  But definitely take time and don't rush with the designs to get them to work.

Hmm, Well here's my take:

Fat Man: Yeah it's more an excuse to give him more attacks and the players a screen clearing weapon, though I do get it, maybe I could give him a nuclear tattoo or something.  Though you should note his name is Fat Man, not "Gigantic" Man.  Oh and his double-chin is actually a triple chin, though I ran out of room with the face graphic, so I don't blame you for assuming that.

Dread Woman: Valkyrie = female warrior.  She's not actually a "target dummy", but a cyber warrior who USES said weapons.  The Dread Shield IS impenetrable, but it drains so much energy she can't keep it up long.  Would spikes work for a terrifying look?

Hydro Woman: More or less that's what I'm going for with her, the drug thing was just a joke.  

Trash Woman: Yeah I was kinda unsure her design was a good idea, I did want to do a female robot master who wasn't humanoid.  And yeah, I'm not fully decided on her personality yet, so I agree with you there, I was already planing to expand on it.

Joke Man: Well, he's meant as a joke, but if that's a bad idea, I get it.  I won't spoil what happens with him, but WILL spoil that his joke weapon, once upgraded, will be a hitscan.

Difficulty Man: Yeah, but at the same time, his stage is by far the hardest in the game, aside from the Doc Bot levels.  It feels like Capcom went one direction with his stage, another with Hard Man himself.  Either way, I felt HARD Man, not being that HARD of a fight was a huge let down.  I could rediseign his look, but the the question is how?  Spring Man and Spark Man look similar in the face IIRC, so I'm not sure how he would be off-model.

Metro Woman: Yeah but Wily is evil, kinda always bothered me that his Robots Blow up cities and but the obvious elephant in the room is never brought up.  It's not as if Dr. Light is using her.  Her story is she became evil when she encountered crime.  "Metro" because she's a big city (metropolis) dweller.

Utility Woman: Yeah, but I kinda didn't wanna make another "electrified water" level, instead maybe make the water protect the player from it.  Though, I'm not certain to go that route just yet.

Are there ANY tools out there to make a Mega Man Robot Master?  I DID look, but all I could find was some dumb flash thing Destructoid posted.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 01:41 AM by Crazy_Hand.)
06-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

(06-05-2018, 09:02 PM)Crazy_Hand Wrote: Are there ANY tools out there to make a Mega Man Robot Master?  I DID look, but all I could find was some dumb flash thing Destructoid posted.

Just simple paint editing software tools. Such as Photoshop, Gimp, MSPaint (Or whatever it is now). Anything that allows you to draw sprites for your robot masters.  You just need to practice your drawing skills, and get the style correct.

Wanna go for a ride?
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018, 07:11 PM by N-Mario.)
07-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

I may just give up on it then, I don't see myself improving enough to fix all of these and do it right Sad

Sucks though, I really, BADLY wanted to make my own Mega Man game Sad
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM by Crazy_Hand.)
08-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
N-Mario Offline
Video Game Veteran
Registered

Well if you wanted a game out of it, you would need to learn and do research on video game programming,

Lot of people apparently use Game Maker Studio. But I use Clickteam Fusion for my games. There's also things like Stencyl, JumpCraft, and Construct. Art design, and game programming takes time to build. Sometimes even 2 - 5 years for a decent game. Just need practice, and learn how to do it all.

Wanna go for a ride?
08-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Website Find Reply