My Robo Master Roster (need feedback)
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Threads: 3
RE: My Robo Master Roster (need feedback)
(08-05-2018, 09:54 PM)N-Mario Wrote: Well if you wanted a game out of it, you would need to learn and do research on video game programming,

Lot of people apparently use Game Maker Studio. But I use Clickteam Fusion for my games. There's also things like Stencyl, JumpCraft, and Construct. Art design, and game programming takes time to build. Sometimes even 2 - 5 years for a decent game.  Just need practice, and learn how to do it all.

That's no problem for me, I've programmed my own games before, but it tended to involve either demaking graphics, or having my own style.  Trying to emulate another style is apparently not something I'm good at.
09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Alright, I'm trying to take another crack at this, because I really, REALLY want to make my own Mega Man Game. I've redone two so far:

Joke Man (no longer intentionally off-model)

[Image: RXJcdlT.png]

And Metro Woman (GB Roll Sprite Edit)

[Image: F9Iy7Hm.png]

Do THESE work? Are they at least better?
16-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Find Reply
Kelvin Offline
Pixel Mercenary
Registered

Threads: 0
Joke Man's legs connect weird to his body. It makes him look like he's wearing a box. Also, his design doesn't really say "joke" to me. Robot masters are typically very transparently designed.

Maybe take the Joker as an example. He's got a clown face, he's dressed like a showman, and he always has a huge smile in some form or another. It's easy to see just by looking at him why he'd be called the Joker.

As for Roll, it's nice to see her in something other than a dress, but is she wearing a wrap around her face? Like a ninja or something? That's just what it looks like to me.
22-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Website Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(22-05-2018, 08:33 PM)Kelvin Wrote: Joke Man's legs connect weird to his body. It makes him look like he's wearing a box. Also, his design doesn't really say "joke" to me. Robot masters are typically very transparently designed.

Maybe take the Joker as an example. He's got a clown face, he's dressed like a showman, and he always has a huge smile in some form or another. It's easy to see just by looking at him why he'd be called the Joker.

As for Roll, it's nice to see her in something other than a dress, but is she wearing a wrap around her face? Like a ninja or something? That's just what it looks like to me.

Yeah, I roughly modeled Joke Man after an internet smiley, guess it didn't do the trick, but I don't wanna make him "the joker, but Mega Man", what would a better idea be?

At least Metro Woman works, so that's ONE down.
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2018, 09:00 PM by Crazy_Hand.)
22-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Find Reply
swodester Offline
Registered

Actually NO Metro Woman still isn't done yet, it's too obvious that she is a roll recolor with some things added to make it looks different and i don't even needed to see your specification about it, and if you are really making a fan game you have to atleast have to make it unrecognizable ATLEAST.
Not that im am hating toward your sprite im just trying to give my criticism about it, and i love to see people entering in fan games area i just do not want you to end up doing something terrible.
02-06-2018, 02:15 AM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(02-06-2018, 02:15 AM)swodester Wrote: Actually NO Metro Woman still isn't done yet, it's too obvious that she is a roll recolor with some things added to make it looks different and i don't even needed to see your specification about it, and if you are really making a fan game you have to atleast have to make it unrecognizable ATLEAST.
Not that im am hating toward your sprite im just trying to give my criticism about it, and i love to see people entering in fan games area i just do not want you to end up doing something terrible.

Agreed, I'll give it some thought and update her.

What about Joke Man though? Any ideas?
02-06-2018, 11:34 PM
Find Reply
swodester Offline
Registered

Joke Man is not that bad comparing him with the other older designs, but you can do a lot better for him by giving an more joke-ish design without being extremist like you older designs(old joke man was really bad) like an big smile or some kinds of prank weapons idk, i also incentive you learn more about 8bit spriting editing old Mega Man games sprites it will make you better at this.

(also sorry for the late response i was busy)
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM by swodester.)
08-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

(08-06-2018, 07:38 PM)swodester Wrote: Joke Man is not that bad comparing him with the other older designs, but you can do a lot better for him by giving an more joke-ish design without being extremist like you older designs(old joke man was really bad) like an big smile or some kinds of prank weapons idk, i also incentive you learn more about 8bit spriting editing old Mega Man games sprites it will make you better at this.

(also sorry for the late response i was busy)

Yeah it's cool, I did go look it up, I found very little besides the color limitations, which I applied (If you can give me a source, I'll gladly see what I can do.). He WILL have a Joke Weapon, until it's upgraded at the shop, it'll HURT Mega Man, after which, it'll become a LETHAL Joke weapon with Hitscan attack and lots of ammo (though only about as strong as the uncharged Mega Buster).
12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Okay I updated Metro Woman

[Image: jOeXTkV.png]

I hope this makes her more distinct from Roll, I also gave her knives for hands.

I tried to add a Smile for Joke Man beyond his smirk, but that only made him look worse. Would his current look go better if I changed his name to WTF Man? I was already thinking of doing that, and his level will be Platform Hell (think Cat Mario and I Wanna Be The Guy), so It'd go along well with that.
(This post was last modified: 17-06-2018, 10:03 PM by Crazy_Hand.)
17-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
swodester Offline
Registered

Well first off, it seems you progressed with the sprite and i can see a boss use a similar sprite but out of the bat the sprites have some minor nitpicks like:

*The sprite is too small*
Compare the sprite to the mega man one and you will see the height difference.

*The eyes are weird*
I see your effort but i can't help but say that eyes are very weird.

*The sprite is very bland*
It seems that the sprite is very bland with nothing very remarkable.

In the end not bad sprite a personally liked it that was just nitpicks nothing that really need to be changed.
About Joke man i prefer his actual name than "WTF man" but since you are the creator is your choice, also i don't like his stage be a platform hell since trial and error is not a good design for a Mega man level, it worked on IWBTG and Cat Mario because those games were made about it not mega man, i would instead suggest a stage with fake pickups and fake walls with some jerk enemies.

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 19-06-2018, 06:00 PM by swodester.)
19-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
Crazy_Hand Offline
Regular
Registered

Yeah no sprite is perfect anyway.

As for Joke Man, I agree with you about the name, change was just to make his internet smiley look line up better.

As for the Platform Hell, I gave it some thought. I initially wanted to say the trial and error elements, while present, could be harmful to enemies, making it Trial and Error in a GOOD way. Though, that'll be tough to do in Mega Man's format, so I should probably still downplay it.

Maybe add things like fake yoku blocks that have a similar but distinct noise? And invisible platforms that can be detected with a keen eye? That way, it's less Trial and Error, and more Learning Curve.
20-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Find Reply
swodester Offline
Registered

I liked that idea it rewards players who pay attention to each of their moves and certainly is not trial and error and still fit with joke man.
20-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Find Reply