Variable Zero
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
Variable Zero
A simple gameplay video. The stage has no indication of any part of the game beyond its engine. Nothing about the plot or what will occur is shown here. That's still being fleshed out. I'll post it when it's presentable.

30-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Find Reply
Franklin Offline
Registered

Threads: 1
RE: Variable Zero
Awesome video! Have you finished the story? What engine are you using?
15-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Find Reply
RabidScotty Offline
Old Untalented Bastard
Registered

Threads: 1
Jump mechanics seem a little floaty. Collision masks need some fine-tuning. Does the engine support slopes? Slashes need an extension on the time limit for combos. Green walls have way too much health, and turtles have too little, so that might need tweaked. Otherwise this is both faithful and gorgeous.

Functioning poorly since 1992.
(This post was last modified: 15-08-2012, 05:21 AM by RabidScotty.)
15-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

^You. I like you.

The jump's been needing work for quite some time. I just never get around to doing it because it's so fucking meticulous. The masks are iffy, but I'm in the process of fixing them. The combo timing has since been tweaked, but not by much. I just did the combo quickly in the video. The wall and turtle are still in development. The wall will have his X2/3 AI and the turtle will get some new weapons.

And Franklin, the current plotline is as-follows, and is still being worked on for consistency.

Taking place after X8, the game will begin with Zero waking up from his sleep. This is NOT his X5 sleep, but his sleep during the Elf Wars in which Weil steals his original body. The game is set roughly fifty years or so after he goes to sleep, having been woken up by forces unknown. Know now that the mood of this game will be extremely dark and melancholy. It will NOT follow the traditional "eight bosses, fortress stages, done" method. I predict less than eight bosses in the entire game. But anyway, the opening stage will be Zero wandering the destroyed Hunter Base, finding the ruined bodies of the three Navigators. I'm still deciding whether or not to use Layer as a parallel of Iris. Who destroyed Hunter HQ? Sigma. Sigma? Of course it's Sigma. It's always Sigma. When is anyone ever gonna truly kill the annoying fucker?

Well, that happens here. And this is where the timeline consistency becomes precise. Ciel's great-grandmother creates the Mother Elf in this period, and she effectively destroys the core of the Sigma Virus' programming forever. This will happen very early in the game.

"But Lamda, Lamda! If Sigma's dead, then who's the villain?"

Easy. Who's a timelessly classic Megaman antagonist, whom we never know what happens to beyond a simple age factor?

Wily.

Now before anyone jumps my shit, I have legitmate reasoning for making Wily the main villain. One, he just does the same thing over and over. It's never been told if he dies, stops his schemes, or anything. And he's a damn good way to tie Zero's destiny together. The plan now is that after creating Zero, Wily created a host body for himself, sealed himself into a cryogenic chamber, and stayed buried in the earth for the coming centuries. Fuck the Eurasia incident, he's safe in the earth. Considering Wily's ability to think ahead in later installments (i.e. the wake-up-after-no-contact RMs from MM7), I don't think that this is a huge stretch. Why would Wily do all of this, instead of having faith in his creation and just die, like Light?

Simple. Wily wants to see his ultimate creation, who is arguably the ultimate robot, Reploid, Biometal, whatever one wishes to call him, fullfill his destiny. But after waking up, which will occur after the death of Sigma, Wily will discover that Zero has not been living up to his expectations. Instead of becoming the ultimate force in the world, and dominating the planet with his unrivaled power, Zero has gone the path of Light's creations; fighting "evil" and protecting humankind and robotkind from destruction.

With his prize creation acting like the creations of his rival who thwarted him time and again, Wily's a little pissed at this point. He intends to start destroying things, in efforts to lure Zero and introduce himself, and subsequently try and awaken Zero to his true purpose. After their first meeting, Zero's not on the same page, as expected. Wily is angry and disappointed, but not totally surprised by this. So he goes and has a few of his bots destroy the current Hunter Base. Two in one game? Dayum. But there are no major casualties. Wily timed it so that he would not kill those closest to Zero. Knowing Zero's power, Wily does not want to invoke that wrath against him. So he just blows the place up and kills a few nameless workers. No big deal, right? Wrong.

After witnessing the corpses of those he had grown close to; Signas, Alia, Layer, Pallet, and of course, Iris, Colonel, and General, this is the straw that broke the camel's back for Zero. Not caring that he is his creator, Zero goes after Wily in a rage. Expecting this, Wily easily subdues Zero, because Zero was fighting illogically and not thinking straight. And Wily knows his weaknesses, but is still not stupid enough to explicitly exploit them. So Wily warns him one last time and lets him go.

Note that at this point, Wily's in a body similar to Weil's. Keeps him alive and immortal in the physical sense. But also know that this takes place before Weil really starts causing problems. This is that middle ground between the end of the Maverick wars and the very beginnings of the Elf Wars. This is a time where widespread destruction is not uncommon, but at the same time feared, as the notion of peace reigns with the destruction of Sigma and his Virus.

That's all I'm saying on the plot for now. Any amendments will be noted, but I will go no further. There's no point in playing the game if you already know what will happen. This is simply the rough first half of the game, and doesn't spoil too terribly much.
15-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Find Reply
Karasai Offline
Making games is hard
Registered

Threads: 32
In X5 I think they Sigma hinted at Wily's soul being apart of the Sigma Virus but nice plot so far.

Do you have a design for Wily's suit yet?

[Image: introandvictorypose_zps4a787a94.gif][Image: y2UAeAf.png]
15-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
Rockmanzero Offline
Registered

Threads: 0
Hello,

the idle sprite of zero seem weird, i suggest you to correct them :
[Image: 96657592305655142420.png]

Turn around the head and add some height in the body

Good luck !
Sorry for my poor english !
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2012, 05:36 PM by Rockmanzero.)
16-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

There's a more updated sheet I'm using now, Rockmanzero, in which Zero resembles his X6 poses. I'll be using that for his non-attacking frames.

Karasai Wrote:Do you have a design for Wily's suit yet?
Not anything solid, no. I'm still in the sketching-it-out stage. But expect it to be something like Weil's body and Wily's normal look put together.

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's the WARNING animation. Uses the Blade Spinner palette from X3, with a few extra blender colors. I really like the turnout.

Attached Files Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 17-08-2012, 09:07 PM by Lamda.)
17-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Find Reply
Sage Offline
That one FE class
Registered

Threads: 4
That is epic, dude. Good luck!
17-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Find Reply
SerenityInFire Offline
Still Here
Registered

Threads: 2
Looking good! Both the game and that Warning graphic!
18-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
Thanatos-Zero Offline
Balmarian Mad Scientist
Registered

Threads: 5
Dr. Weil never stole Zero's body.
The goverment allowed him to create the ultimate reploid, in order to destroy all Mavericks.

Source? Megaman Zero Offical Complete Works. It should be there. Otherwise it was in the Weil Incidents. In any case The Reploid Larvatory might hold the answer.
23-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Find Reply
Smurf-Killer Squee Offline
A piss-poor spriter
Registered

Threads: 10
If I remember right, it was actually stated in MMZ3 that Weil took Zero turned him into omega.

(13-08-2012, 05:26 PM)Flashchat Wrote: Smurf-Killer_Squee: welp. off to try a few ideas for the exploding goo thing.
AshuraAlchemist: heh
AshuraAlchemist: air humping, then exploding goo

[Image: EBevD.png]

23-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Find Reply
Ciel Offline
MegaManGamer123
Registered

Threads: 6
Omega is using Zero's original body , and Zero's body is a copy but his heart is the real thing.

Ciel / MegaManGamer123 : http://megamangamer123.deviantart.com/

[Image: tumblr_m7r4c9u66J1r3rkxfo1_r3_500_zps1b593393.gif]

23-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Website Find Reply
A piss-poor spriter
Registered

(23-08-2012, 11:33 PM)Ciel Wrote: Omega is using Zero's original body , and Zero's body is a copy but his heart is the real thing.

^This.

But to be honest. Not much in Capcom's storyline makes sense anyway.

Anyway, back on topic. That warning sign is pretty awesome. It looks like the Mortal Kombat Fatality style lettering.

(13-08-2012, 05:26 PM)Flashchat Wrote: Smurf-Killer_Squee: welp. off to try a few ideas for the exploding goo thing.

(This post was last modified: 24-08-2012, 05:48 AM by Smurf-Killer Squee.)
23-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
Sage Offline
That one FE class
Registered

You have any boss ideas yet?
24-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

(23-08-2012, 10:50 PM)Thanatos-Zero Wrote: Dr. Weil never stole Zero's body.
The goverment allowed him to create the ultimate reploid, in order to destroy all Mavericks.

Source? Megaman Zero Offical Complete Works. It should be there. Otherwise it was in the Weil Incidents. In any case The Reploid Larvatory might hold the answer.

If he didn't steal Zero's original body, then how'd he get ahold of it?

If what you're saying is absolutely true, then the blame falls on Capcom for implying heavily that Weil obtained Zero's original body for Omega when he didn't. Between that, and the blank slate of what happens to Zero between the X and Zero saga, they've dropped the ball too heavily for me to take them seriously at this point. I'm sticking to what I have now. If I altered it to fit what you've said, the entire plot would crumble.

SageHarpuiaJDJ Wrote:You have any boss ideas yet?
Yes and no.

What I have so far is, albeit a little lazy, more pertained to plot adherence than heavy gameplay. I've got two old Wily RMs who will resurface as bosses, with very little changes in their AI and styles, as well as two Wily Fortress bosses who will be recieving heavy overhauls. As for original bosses, all I have are Sigma and Wily.

Sigma will not play like he usually does, I will have both his demeanor and AI to be that of desperation. His ever-failing plans are getting destroyed again and he's at the end of his rope. Think his X6 mindset, but less insane and more "fuck this I'm blowing up everything!"

Wily, on the other hand, will be nothing like his traditional AI. He'll still have his "big robot, then little capsule" style of fighting, but he'll have a superpowered, holyhellwhatthefuckamIfighting third form. In this state, given his extensive knowledge of Cyberspace and its inner mechanisms and potentials, Wily more or less becomes the robot God. Similar to Albert, Wily's tapped into an unstable and horribly destructive power, but not in the conventional sense. With the knowledge he has in mind, he'll have drawn energy from the Cyberspace Core, and twisted it into his own form to taint it into a raw force which surpasses even Model W's power. Am I overpowering him? I don't think so. I want him to go out with a hell of a bang, and this is one good way to do it.

Other bosses will typically include simple mid-stage sub-bosses. A Type-II Moah the Giant, a defective and early prototype Dinorex, ANOTHER Rangda Bangda (though I'm clueless as to what to name it), etc.
27-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Find Reply
A piss-poor spriter
Registered

(27-08-2012, 04:33 PM)Lamda Bamda Wrote: Between that, and the blank slate of what happens to Zero between the X and Zero saga, they've dropped the ball too heavily for me to take them seriously at this point. I'm sticking to what I have now. If I altered it to fit what you've said, the entire plot would crumble.

Good idea. Capcom's storyline... is bull shit. They have been so many blank spots and conflicts of story that you can justify just about anything.

28-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

First rough design for Wily's God mode. Yes, I know it looks like Albert, but it's still in development.

Attached Files Image(s)

06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
Sage Offline
That one FE class
Registered

Will this be his second battle mode or first battle mode?
06-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

This is his third form. His first form will be a battlebody like Kaiser Sigma, and the second will be his traditional capsule form.
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
Sage Offline
That one FE class
Registered

Okay. Well I like the design. It shows a different, darker side of Wily. It also has a final form feel to it. It's better than Albert's cause it looks more intimidating. Albert's looked more like a normal battle suit imo. Can't wait to see it in sprite form.
06-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Find Reply