Variable Zero
Mega Fan Offline
Manhandles Banandles
Registered

Threads: 6
RE: Variable Zero
You could make it like he goes into his awakened state automatically, and you could make it so for the final hit the attack button does the Genmurei (?). Kind of like MMZ3 with Omega. Think it would make it more awesome.
(This post was last modified: 21-12-2012, 08:18 PM by Mega Fan.)
21-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Threads: 28
Oh, you mean as a controllable cutscene? That could be doable. It would make it "hit home" more, too. Good call, Mega.
21-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
Mega Fan Offline
Manhandles Banandles
Registered

Exactly, to add effect to it. It would be kinda dumb if the game finishes the job for you.
21-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Engine update
Engine's been updated.

What's in this update;

*Jump mechanics, which were too floaty last video, have been fixed. Dash jump has also been tweaked to suit this change.
*Wall jumping and sliding. This is a big change. Since I now have krw703's legendary source code, I can use it to my advantage and accurately modify physics. Since Zero is larger than X, changing these to his X3-esque mechanics was a bit of a chore, but it got done.
*Also fixed as the saber-combo timer. All it really needed was a slight alteration in button-press and image_index times. The combo can now be done in roughly three speeds, shown in the video.
*Death animation. Easy change, now it follows X's death pattern.
*Healthbar is now at "normal" size and the engine has functioning Heart Tanks, I just didn't put any in the video since they aren't completely finished yet.
*Other minor changes, such as hitbox alterations, tweaks in speeds, variable adjustments, etc.

Enemies and such are taking a little while to get done, but they're coming along. Will be shown next update.
07-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
Mega Fan Offline
Manhandles Banandles
Registered

The wall jumping physics still need a little bit of work. They need to push Zero about three more pixels away. Same with the jump, it should go 3 pixels or so higher.
08-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Had the day off, so I got a bunch done.

Jump and walljump have been tweaked to give Zero a little more of a boost. Jump animation has been edited to hopefully look less choppy.

Flame Sword and Super Punch are keeps, as they're original takes on shit he has already. Thunder Blade is probably placeholder. Not sure yet.

And, cool background.
10-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Find Reply
Karasai Offline
Making games is hard
Registered

Threads: 32
Silly question do you think its possible for Zero to switch stances?

Like he'll do the X4 stance, breath around 5 or so times, then switch to the X6 one, breath another 5 or so times and start over?

Physics look spot on.

[Image: introandvictorypose_zps4a787a94.gif][Image: y2UAeAf.png]
10-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

I could, theoretically. I'll try it and see how it looks.
10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Find Reply
DarkSamus993 Offline
Keeper of the Archives
SIBRE Alpha Testers

Threads: 5
Raijingeki (Thunder God Attack) animation speeds by (I sense a joke here). Add another second to the animation length and it should look better.

Of course if you want something new, I have an idea.
Borrowing X8's Raikousen (Lightning Bolt Flash) you could merge that idea with X4's Shippuuga (Hurricane Fang). There both very similar but I'm sure you could put your own unique spin on it.

Also, a question (or two). Are you adding the Z-buster or no? And if not, perhaps you may allow a charged Z-saber attack, like in the Zero series (this ability could also be received from a boss maybe).

The main physics are looking great!
10-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Website Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

No. There's no Z-Buster. This will play like X4, with swordplay only. I want to use Zero's specials to mimic the Buster shots, hence their uniqueness. Zero will also get no powerups from defeating bosses. Like I've said, this isn't following the "traditional" format of game flow. He'll get new abilities for what he has, but I still don't know how. I might do Chips, or a weapon-experience system like FF2. Like, use the Flame uppercut twenty times, it gains the ability to shoot more fireballs, etc.

There will also be a universal energy bar that will deplete when a special weapon is used. It will be auto-rechargeable over a period of time. It may be dependent on the weapon, or be a general singular recharge time. Either way, it'll be rechargeable. That way the player will need to think a little smarter about where, when, and what to use Special Attacks on, instead of just being able to use them all forever. It would also help the levelling system, as I'm sure people will find a weapon they like more than others. I might even go God of War-esque and replace the Red Orbs with Parts gained from enemies. As dark as I plan on the plot being, I still want to have some nice innovative gameplay that isn't seen often in the series.

Example of how the current weapons imitate the Buster, the small punch-blasts deal damage equivalent to X's level-one charge shot. The big ones work as a level-two. The fireball that comes from the flame sword are damage-akin to X's level-four charge shot. This way, Zero still has range attacks, but doesn't fall short on swordplay. I plan on having elemental puzzles/switches around, too.

Yeah, I have my work cut out for me, lol.
10-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Find Reply
Karasai Offline
Making games is hard
Registered

You could have it like they did in Sly Cooper 2, Zero would be able to use his whole arsenal of techniques from the other games.

10-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Too much work, lol. Right now, specials are programmed as context-sensitive presses of "V". Pressing it while holding up does the fire sword, down does the punch, regular is the thunder, etc. I don't want THAT many weapons, just enough to balance Zero.
10-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Find Reply
Karasai Offline
Making games is hard
Registered

Well not the whoooole arsenal, just a couple moves from before.

Sly uses his whole arsenal.

10-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Find Reply
Ciel Offline
MegaManGamer123
Registered

Awesome I really like the background , and the attacks.

Ciel / MegaManGamer123 : http://megamangamer123.deviantart.com/

[Image: tumblr_m7r4c9u66J1r3rkxfo1_r3_500_zps1b593393.gif]

10-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Website Find Reply
Smurf-Killer Squee Offline
A piss-poor spriter
Registered

Threads: 10
So... The weapon system will work similar to Mega man zero 1 and 2, when you had to level up the weapon by doing certain attacks. That could be pretty cool when combined with some special attacks. The rechargeable thing... Is that going to work like Corrupted's gameplay for Zero?

(13-08-2012, 05:26 PM)Flashchat Wrote: Smurf-Killer_Squee: welp. off to try a few ideas for the exploding goo thing.
AshuraAlchemist: heh
AshuraAlchemist: air humping, then exploding goo

[Image: EBevD.png]

10-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

It'll have three levels of use. One is the regular five-way spread. The second will be the second, bigger one. I may of may not take out the lasers. Third level will be a nine-way spread that covers the entire screen.

Thunder Blade upgrades will have it gain length with each upgrade. The third upgrade will release a spread like the Thunder Shot from MM1. Might even use the same sound effect as a goof.

Fire Blade will gain height with each level-up, and gain one extra fireball at its final level.

Oh, the names are all placeholder, btw. These are just generic.
10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Nothing major to you guys, but I finally got Zero's saber to do multiple hits, and it's actually pretty faithful to the same thing in X4-6. I'm really fucking happy about this getting done.

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2013, 11:03 PM by Lamda.)
07-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Find Reply
Thanatos-Zero Offline
Balmarian Mad Scientist
Registered

Threads: 5
(27-08-2012, 04:33 PM)Lamda Bamda Wrote:
(23-08-2012, 10:50 PM)Thanatos-Zero Wrote: Dr. Weil never stole Zero's body.
The goverment allowed him to create the ultimate reploid, in order to destroy all Mavericks.

Source? Megaman Zero Offical Complete Works. It should be there. Otherwise it was in the Weil Incidents. In any case The Reploid Larvatory might hold the answer.

If he didn't steal Zero's original body, then how'd he get ahold of it?

If what you're saying is absolutely true, then the blame falls on Capcom for implying heavily that Weil obtained Zero's original body for Omega when he didn't. Between that, and the blank slate of what happens to Zero between the X and Zero saga, they've dropped the ball too heavily for me to take them seriously at this point. I'm sticking to what I have now. If I altered it to fit what you've said, the entire plot would crumble.
Dr. Weil received Zero's body legally from the goverment for his proposed Project Elpis in order to create a Reploid to be the perfect ruler, by using the Mother Elf's program rewriting ability to control all Reploids in the world, avoiding them becoming Mavericks. Nobody knew back then, that Weil set up the events for the Elf Wars and fooled everyone for his world conquest.
Also Dr. Weil thought that the reploids came way to easy away for their misdeeds, after the Mother Elf ended the Maverick Wars. In fact he resents free willed machines, because they were responsible for said wars.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ch...egaManZero
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rockman_Ze...n_Timeline

"That was me as well!"
(Or if you prefer moon speak...)
"SORE MO WATASHI DA!"
24-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Find Reply
Lamda Offline
Ace of Spades
Registered

Okay. That's a little better than the first time you argued that. I can work around it.

Only problem, that link doesn't specify when Zero's body gets switched for Omega's. Hence my problem with it. That being said, I can easily justify Zero being in his alternate body during the course of the game, just not being completely aware of it. Minor hints that it's the fake body (such as Zero commenting that something doesn't quite feel right when he wakes up), and Wily hinting towards it while maintaining the notion that it's Zero's soul that is important, not his body (since, after all, we already know Zero can kick just as much ass in a fake body).

So, thanks, TZ. Helping make the plot a little more consistent and solid now. Smile

Quote:Game making in 6 steps:
1: Get assets and program
2: Smash the two together until stuff happens
3: Beat your face into your keyboard when stuff breaks/doesn't want to work
4: Continue beating your face into your keyboard until you've smashed the right code
5: Rejoice that it works and move on to the next thing
6: Go back to Step 2 and repeat
25-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Find Reply
Pumpkin Row Offline
Still Here
Registered

(30-07-2012, 06:24 PM)Lamda Bamda Wrote: A simple gameplay video. The stage has no indication of any part of the game beyond its engine. Nothing about the plot or what will occur is shown here. That's still being fleshed out. I'll post it when it's presentable.

that stage is from megaman zero .-. just pointing that out lolz

[Image: wVc9aiU.png]
25-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Find Reply